Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - 10 for the Chairman Series

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
edited November 2015 in Star Citizen

Information from  the "10 for the Chairman" Video Blogs from Chris Roberts will now be presented in one thread, as suggested by the MMORPG.com moderators. Starting with Episode 59.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 For the Chairman Episode 59 - Video and Transcript

http://imperialnews.network/2015/04/10-chairman-episode-59/

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Can't say I'm sold on the "thought bubble" conversation stuff, perhaps it'll be relevatory when I see it in action. But I honestly feel it would be better to go with tried and tested Bioware-style (with more reactions to your choices) than trying to reinvent something that sounds like dream bubbles from a Miley Cyrus sketch.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by Erillion

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14859-10-For-The-Chairman

I mean, I’m kind of frustrated. I give people internally shit when things are late or they say, oh it was going to be here and it comes in late, and I”m like… I give them the same sort of abuse that sometimes we get back from the community, but I think that’s sort of the price you pay....

Have fun

Sounds like it should be included in the Bad Management 101 reading course.

Give people unrealistic deadlines and excoriate them when they can't deliver on time.   Especially when juxtaposed with the earlier excuses of 'It's experimental, etc - thus delays!'

Can't say I'm surprised though. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14859-10-For-The-Chairman

I mean, I’m kind of frustrated. I give people internally shit when things are late or they say, oh it was going to be here and it comes in late, and I”m like… I give them the same sort of abuse that sometimes we get back from the community, but I think that’s sort of the price you pay....

Have fun

Give people unrealistic deadlines and excoriate them when they can't deliver on time.   Especially when juxtaposed with the earlier excuses of 'It's experimental, etc - thus delays!'

Where do you work? In happy happy joy joy land?

He compared his (human) behavior to forum users who are very passionate and demand things to be released now. As I understood it he tries to place himself on the same level as the impatient forum user. That makes him more human in my eyes.

If you search hard enough you will always find things to fuss about!

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Originally posted by SmartySmart

Have fun

He compared his (human) behavior to forum users who are very passionate and demand things to be released now. As I understood it he tries to place himself on the same level as the impatient forum user. That makes him more human in my eyes.

You don't place yourself at the same level as the impatient masses if you are a manager. If someone is constantly late on their deadlines then you call them into your office and have "a chat" with them. If you are attempting things no one else has and it doesn't work out then "you don't give them the same sort of abuse you sometimes get from the community". Arglebargle is right and that is bad management. Your job is to soak in that abuse from the community and reprocess it into motivation for the team.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Kefo

Have fun

You don't place yourself at the same level as the impatient masses if you are a manager. If someone is constantly late on their deadlines then you call them into your office and have "a chat" with them. If you are attempting things no one else has and it doesn't work out then "you don't give them the same sort of abuse you sometimes get from the community". Arglebargle is right and that is bad management. Your job is to soak in that abuse from the community and reprocess it into motivation for the team.

Lol, I will agree with you on this. Management isn't about reigning people in, it's about managing relationships and expectations. If someone is consistently missing deadlines, it could be likely that someone (possibly you) are setting unrealistic deadlines for them. Some people are difficult, yes, and will need to be reigned in because toxic attitudes spread like wildfire, but for the most part, that's the exception and not the rule. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Have fun

Lol, I will agree with you on this. Management isn't about reigning people in, it's about managing relationships and expectations. If someone is consistently missing deadlines, it could be likely that someone (possibly you) are setting unrealistic deadlines for them. Some people are difficult, yes, and will need to be reigned in because toxic attitudes spread like wildfire, but for the most part, that's the exception and not the rule. 

I don't geht the point of your arguments.

Putting Mr. Roberts wording in the wrong and out of context is all you two did. Did he say that he does that all the time or did he say that he can understand some kind of forum users and provided an example?

You know what I learned from my jobs and positions? That the bosses who pick you up where you are indeed were the best bosses not the one's you barely see or the one's positioning themselves clearly above others. 

It also depends largely what kind of business you run and how you build your company. Do you have clear responsibilities? What kind of hierarchy do you use? Matrix or tensor? 

You are generalizing his statement and say that he does it all the time. That's lazy.

In the CIG videos I have seen so far (still a way to go) they also talk about motivation and how to transfer the pressure of the forums to positive motivation for the team. Some can stand the pressure or are fueled by it and other people can't stand the pressure. From the past and what I know of Mr. Roberts is that he is a great motivator. Motivators often tend to to overshoot the target and yes... Mr. Roberts is known for overshooting. But if your reach for the stars that's what you gotta do.

People who think big have better chances of archiving big things. Will CIG succeed? I don't know but I hope they do because... well I wanna play that ambitious game.

Have fun

Putting Mr. Roberts wording in the wrong and out of context is all you two did. Did he say that he does that all the time or did he say that he can understand some kind of forum users and provided an example?

You know what I learned from my jobs and positions? That the bosses who pick you up where you are indeed were the best bosses not the one's you barely see or the one's positioning themselves clearly above others. 

It also depends largely what kind of business you run and how you build your company. Do you have clear responsibilities? What kind of hierarchy do you use? Matrix or tensor? 

You are generalizing his statement and say that he does it all the time. That's lazy.

In the CIG videos I have seen so far (still a way to go) they also talk about motivation and how to transfer the pressure of the forums to positive motivation for the team. Some can stand the pressure or are fueled by it and other people can't stand the pressure. From the past and what I know of Mr. Roberts is that he is a great motivator. Motivators often tend to to overshoot the target and yes... Mr. Roberts is known for overshooting. But if your reach for the stars that's what you gotta do.

People who think big have better chances of archiving big things. Will CIG succeed? I don't know but I hope they do because... well I wanna play that ambitious game.

I never actually said he does it all the time. I was quoting him directly where he said he returns the abuse to team members. Even if he has done it once that still makes him a bad manager. So no I'm not being "lazy" but you are trying to shift things onto me to make it seem like my argument holds no merit instead of addressing the point which is lazy on your behalf.

I personally think CR is a great salesman from what I have read over time, he could probably sell condoms to a convent. As for his motivation skills I would be iffy about them.

Have fun

I never actually said he does it all the time. I was quoting him directly where he said he returns the abuse to team members. Even if he has done it once that still makes him a bad manager. So no I'm not being "lazy" but you are trying to shift things onto me to make it seem like my argument holds no merit instead of addressing the point which is lazy on your behalf.

I personally think CR is a great salesman from what I have read over time, he could probably sell condoms to a convent. As for his motivation skills I would be iffy about them.

Thank you for your words. I didn´t mean to pigeonhole you or twist your words. No offense.

Nobodies perfect and sadly there are some really bad managers and bosses out there who have no understanding how to "lead". Most of my bosses (depending on the management levels) had some bad skills in certain areas. Only 1 or 2 were professional managers with a good reputation, overall very good hard- and softskills and a suitable personality (referering to working life as private life is segregated). Therefore I went into business myself but still had bosses who sadly and in retrospective mostly had only questionable selling, motivation and persuasion tactics skills. Management on some important areas was in bad shape. Sorry don´t want to bore you with my business life story :)

CR selling questionable products would be unexpexted! I think his level of professionalism is better when he directs movies/cutscenes or creates atmosphere. Yes the WC movie was not that awesome and the portrayal of the Kilrathi was laughyble :D But that the can create awesome games (even if Erin helped him out once or twice) should be undeniable from my perspective.

His (big) company management skills definitely could use some training. Even if he is CEO I can imagine that he still listens to others especially his brother Erin who replaced the executive producer position.

That is a step in the right direction.

How his programming skills are is out of my evaluation as I have no programming skills. My litle HTML, PHP and C++ back in the educational days don´t count :D I´m quite sure CR´s programming skills are not up to todays standards but he has people for this (i.e. Foundry 42 in Frankfurt, Germany).

For me it´s clearly apparent that he can motivate because he managed (of course not on his own) to build a great and big team with some really really talented and experienced guys from the gaming industry.

Still I have the feeling that people try to hard to see faults in CR. Yes they have all the right to do so. I can´t tell people what to do but sometimes I can only roll my eyes and perform an imaginary facepalm or in hard cases a real facepalm.

But it´s always funny (and a little awkward to see) when he seems a little suprised when 10FTC or the new Game Commander starts ;) I could also say that Ben Lisnik is too insecure in front of the camera (and in general). Or that James Pugh is not that good in moderating in 10 for the "put position here".

But nobody should pass judgement on this. It´s how they are or how they like (or like not but are not able to act properly in front of the camera)  to present themselves. They are no actors and still behave better as, let´s say, some ancors in the US.

What´s left to say... that I wrote too much and am not sure if I covered all necessary topics :3

Thank you for your words. I didn´t mean to pigeonhole you or twist your words. No offense.

Nobodies perfect and sadly there are some really bad managers and bosses out there who have no understanding how to "lead". Most of my bosses (depending on the management levels) had some bad skills in certain areas. Only 1 or 2 were professional managers with a good reputation, overall very good hard- and softskills and a suitable personality (referering to working life as private life is segregated). Therefore I went into business myself but still had bosses who sadly and in retrospective mostly had only questionable selling, motivation and persuasion tactics skills. Management on some important areas was in bad shape. Sorry don´t want to bore you with my business life story :)

CR selling questionable products would be unexpexted! I think his level of professionalism is better when he directs movies/cutscenes or creates atmosphere. Yes the WC movie was not that awesome and the portrayal of the Kilrathi was laughyble :D But that the can create awesome games (even if Erin helped him out once or twice) should be undeniable from my perspective.

His (big) company management skills definitely could use some training. Even if he is CEO I can imagine that he still listens to others especially his brother Erin who replaced the executive producer position.

That is a step in the right direction.

How his programming skills are is out of my evaluation as I have no programming skills. My litle HTML, PHP and C++ back in the educational days don´t count :D I´m quite sure CR´s programming skills are not up to todays standards but he has people for this (i.e. Foundry 42 in Frankfurt, Germany).

For me it´s clearly apparent that he can motivate because he managed (of course not on his own) to build a great and big team with some really really talented and experienced guys from the gaming industry.

Still I have the feeling that people try to hard to see faults in CR. Yes they have all the right to do so. I can´t tell people what to do but sometimes I can only roll my eyes and perform an imaginary facepalm or in hard cases a real facepalm.

But it´s always funny (and a little awkward to see) when he seems a little suprised when 10FTC or the new Game Commander starts ;) I could also say that Ben Lisnik is too insecure in front of the camera (and in general). Or that James Pugh is not that good in moderating in 10 for the "put position here".

But nobody should pass judgement on this. It´s how they are or how they like (or like not but are not able to act properly in front of the camera)  to present themselves. They are no actors and still behave better as, let´s say, some ancors in the US.

What´s left to say... that I wrote too much and am not sure if I covered all necessary topics :3

No offense taken.

I can attest to bad managers. 2 have been fired in the last 6 months at my work. 1 for trying to micromanage everything and letting her work slip and the other for not managing at all, he literally sat in his office and had other people do his work for him.

I'll always find fault with anybody, including myself, but I am a pessimist at heart so that's no surprise :)

As for the rest I have to go to work cause now I have a supervisor who likes to push their work onto me whenever possible, so yay for not having a set schedule!

I'll always find fault with anybody, including myself, but I am a pessimist at heart so that's no surprise :)

Yep... that fits :) The thing with finding errors on persons is something I know quite good.

And I´m more the realistic optimist (being pushed more to the middle due to the working conditions and letdowns in the past years) as may be seen in my spelling style.

end of ooc

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited November 2015

http://imperialnews.network/2015/08/10-for-the-chairman-ep62/

10 for the Chairman Episode 62

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited November 2015
    http://imperialnews.network/2015/08/10-chairman-episode-63/

10 for the Chairman Episode 63

Have fun