Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This site safe?

Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
Anyway anyone know if this is legit/safe? [mod edit]

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It "looks" legit on the surface, but anyone can make a legit-looking site.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

That being said - the domain was registered from Australia, the server appears to be in Austin, TX, and the company is registered to California. Google knows next to nothing about them (which doesn't mean a whole lot in and of itself).

All I can really say is, I wouldn't give them my CC info.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

It "looks" legit on the surface, but anyone can make a legit-looking site.

If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

That being said - the domain was registered from Australia, the server appears to be in Austin, TX, and the company is registered to California. Google knows next to nothing about them (which doesn't mean a whole lot in and of itself).

All I can really say is, I wouldn't give them my CC info.

Ah alright know any where else i can get a cheap windows 7? Just remembered about pcpartpicker so using that to find it which one of these sites is reputable? [mod edit]

There used to be a nice student discount for Windows 7 and 8, but that has been replaced with a straight 10% discount on purchases the Microsoft store - that may save you about $10.

This is Windows 10, full release edition download, for $120.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588506

This is Windows 8.1, full release edition download for $120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416786&cm_re=Windows-_-32-416-786-_-Product

The full release edition is fully transferable between PCs and doesn't have any installation limitations. It usually costs around $200.

You can get OEM editions for about $20 less, but I usually don't recommend them any longer since the full release price has lowered considerably.

I can still find Windows 7 OEM (http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~4678.asp), but honestly at this point, I can't recommend spending money on it since it's out of phase I support already. I've bought software before from buycheapsoftware, they can save you a little bit of money, and still carry all the way back to XP in some fashion if you really needed it.

There used to be a nice student discount for Windows 7 and 8, but that has been replaced with a straight 10% discount on purchases the Microsoft store - that may save you about $10.

This is Windows 10, full release edition download, for $120.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588506

This is Windows 8.1, full release edition download for $120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416786&cm_re=Windows-_-32-416-786-_-Product

The full release edition is fully transferable between PCs and doesn't have any installation limitations. It usually costs around $200.

You can get OEM editions for about $20 less, but I usually don't recommend them any longer since the full release price has lowered considerably.

I can still find Windows 7 OEM (http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~4678.asp), but honestly at this point, I can't recommend spending money on it since it's out of phase I support already. I've bought software before from buycheapsoftware, they can save you a little bit of money, and still carry all the way back to XP in some fashion if you really needed it.

Ah alright thanks with the full release edition if i say change my mother board which i plan on doing so later on could i still use the same key/stuff to use it again?

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    You might want to delete or edit your first post before the modss find it and get pissed. They've suspended accounts for less.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Deathgod881

Ah alright thanks with the full release edition if i say change my mother board which i plan on doing so later on could i still use the same key/stuff to use it again?

No, the license is set to the motherboard. You can change every other component though.

The cheapest legal windows I can find for you is W7 64 bits for $72: http://www.productquest4less.com/microsoft-windows-7-pro-64-bit-branded.html

Yeah, it moved away for the 1 support already but it is fine if you plan to use it for a year or less, no need to waste more money than you need on the OS.

Originally posted by Loke666

No, the license is set to the motherboard. You can change every other component though.

The cheapest legal windows I can find for you is W7 64 bits for $72: http://www.productquest4less.com/microsoft-windows-7-pro-64-bit-branded.html

Yeah, it moved away for the 1 support already but it is fine if you plan to use it for a year or less, no need to waste more money than you need on the OS.

Ah damn that sucks well thanks for the info all

Originally posted by Deathgod881 Ah alright thanks with the full release edition if i say change my mother board which i plan on doing so later on could i still use the same key/stuff to use it again?

This is true for OEM.

Full edition you can transfer between computers and motherboards, so long as it's only one one at a time - that's the reason it costs a bit more.

Originally posted by Deathgod881 Ah alright thanks with the full release edition if i say change my mother board which i plan on doing so later on could i still use the same key/stuff to use it again?

This is true for OEM.

Full edition you can transfer between computers and motherboards, so long as it's only one one at a time - that's the reason it costs a bit more.

Ah so almost makes it worth skipping the hacked version and just buying a true copy of windows

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

So there are a few diff realities. However, as an MCSA I have never had an issue with an OS. In 20 years I have only had 1 software license revoked by MS for a Visual suite on a computer that was essentially rebuilt.

With the full retail version of almost any Windows OS you should have no problem upgrading the motherboard.  In some cases you may have to re-activate the license and more rarely perform an MS robocall. Worst case just call MS directly.

If you go the less expensive route and buy one of the many OEM licenses available, upgrading becomes potentially more problematic. Technically speaking changing out a motherboard that is not defective effectively cancels the license.

The truth is MS is actually pretty flexible on this issue especially if its a one-time request on the license for the same machine. On one occasion I had 3 machines with cpu and power upgrades that would not re-activate automatically. MS customer service reactivated all 3 keys after a short Q and A. I do know of instances where OEM licenses were invalidated on computers where more than 4 or 5 key components were replaced at the same time.

Also if your new motherboard is in the same family in terms of maker and model progression you may not even have to re-activate. I am not sure what benchmarks are used but I have replaced/upgraded boards 1-2 years later that were the latest and greatest version of the same original brand and never had to even re-enter keys. 

On that note, full retail versions are a much safer bet especially for builders and people who like to upgrade their computers on a regular basis. The extra $40 or so spent makes life much easier.

Hope this helps.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

Originally posted by DelCabon

So there are a few diff realities. However, as an MCSA I have never had an issue with an OS. In 20 years I have only had 1 software license revoked by MS for a Visual suite on a computer that was essentially rebuilt.

With the full retail version of almost any Windows OS you should have no problem upgrading the motherboard.  In some cases you may have to re-activate the license and more rarely perform an MS robocall. Worst case just call MS directly.

If you go the less expensive route and buy one of the many OEM licenses available, upgrading becomes potentially more problematic. Technically speaking changing out a motherboard that is not defective effectively cancels the license.

The truth is MS is actually pretty flexible on this issue especially if its a one-time request on the license for the same machine. On one occasion I had 3 machines with cpu and power upgrades that would not re-activate automatically. MS customer service reactivated all 3 keys after a short Q and A. I do know of instances where OEM licenses were invalidated on computers where more than 4 or 5 key components were replaced at the same time.

Also if your new motherboard is in the same family in terms of maker and model progression you may not even have to re-activate. I am not sure what benchmarks are used but I have replaced/upgraded boards 1-2 years later that were the latest and greatest version and never had to even re-enter keys. 

On that note, full retail versions are a much safer bet especially for builders and people who like to upgrade their computers on a regular basis. The extra $40 or so spent makes life much easier.

Hope this helps.

Oh yea definitely just after buying the os i'd have like 490 left including buying the 2 games i want in 2 months xD thats where it gets iffy, since i downloaded windows 10 and its not activated how long do i have before it automatically disables some features? Might have a job by the end of the month

Originally posted by DelCabon So there are a few diff realities. However, as an MCSA I have never had an issue with an OS. In 20 years I have only had 1 software license revoked by MS for a Visual suite on a computer that was essentially rebuilt. With the full retail version of almost any Windows OS you should have no problem upgrading the motherboard.  In some cases you may have to re-activate the license and more rarely perform an MS robocall. Worst case just call MS directly. If you go the less expensive route and buy one of the many OEM licenses available, upgrading becomes potentially more problematic. Technically speaking changing out a motherboard that is not defective effectively cancels the license. The truth is MS is actually pretty flexible on this issue especially if its a one-time request on the license for the same machine. On one occasion I had 3 machines with cpu and power upgrades that would not re-activate automatically. MS customer service reactivated all 3 keys after a short Q and A. I do know of instances where OEM licenses were invalidated on computers where more than 4 or 5 key components were replaced at the same time. Also if your new motherboard is in the same family in terms of maker and model progression you may not even have to re-activate. I am not sure what benchmarks are used but I have replaced/upgraded boards 1-2 years later that were the latest and greatest version and never had to even re-enter keys.  On that note, full retail versions are a much safer bet especially for builders and people who like to upgrade their computers on a regular basis. The extra $40 or so spent makes life much easier. Hope this helps.
    Oh yea definitely just after buying the os i'd have like 490 left including buying the 2 games i want in 2 months xD thats where it gets iffy, since i downloaded windows 10 and its not activated how long do i have before it automatically disables some features? Might have a job by the end of the month

Windows 7 had 30 days, which could be reset up to two times using a command line tool, for a total of 90 days.

Windows 8 changed that to disable stuff "instantly", if it couldn't activate off the install/setup it would default to black background and 1-hour restarts.

Not sure what it is on Windows 10, but I'd bet on the same was Windows 8.

Originally posted by DelCabon So there are a few diff realities. However, as an MCSA I have never had an issue with an OS. In 20 years I have only had 1 software license revoked by MS for a Visual suite on a computer that was essentially rebuilt. With the full retail version of almost any Windows OS you should have no problem upgrading the motherboard.  In some cases you may have to re-activate the license and more rarely perform an MS robocall. Worst case just call MS directly. If you go the less expensive route and buy one of the many OEM licenses available, upgrading becomes potentially more problematic. Technically speaking changing out a motherboard that is not defective effectively cancels the license. The truth is MS is actually pretty flexible on this issue especially if its a one-time request on the license for the same machine. On one occasion I had 3 machines with cpu and power upgrades that would not re-activate automatically. MS customer service reactivated all 3 keys after a short Q and A. I do know of instances where OEM licenses were invalidated on computers where more than 4 or 5 key components were replaced at the same time. Also if your new motherboard is in the same family in terms of maker and model progression you may not even have to re-activate. I am not sure what benchmarks are used but I have replaced/upgraded boards 1-2 years later that were the latest and greatest version and never had to even re-enter keys.  On that note, full retail versions are a much safer bet especially for builders and people who like to upgrade their computers on a regular basis. The extra $40 or so spent makes life much easier. Hope this helps.

Windows 7 had 30 days, which could be reset up to two times using a command line tool, for a total of 90 days.

Windows 8 changed that to disable stuff "instantly", if it couldn't activate off the install/setup it would default to black background and 1-hour restarts.

Not sure what it is on Windows 10, but I'd bet on the same was Windows 8.

Ah well with windows 10 its just a giant water color ontop of all windows saying to activate windows not that annoying because with some backgrounds you hardly notice it, also you can still put up a screensaver and it stays which is awesome, its basically like this http://i.imgur.com/IPLUjuW.png

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Not if you value your brain. It will melt it to mush!

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/