Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forgotten mmos

FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673

I was desperately trying to remember which game involved me playing as three little furrys at once.  After some time while my attention was diverted, it suddenly occurred to me- Allods Online. This is one of those games that I tried at release and within a matter of hours developed an overwhelming sense of apathy towards. I removed it from my computer and never once looked back or thought about it again until that faint memory recurred. I believe this game retains a fairly large population, but to me it is largely forgotten, or it was until recently.  

Then I started racking my brains for other games I have played but were instantly forgettable; the likes of RF online, APB, Earthrise, and to some extent Warhammer Online.

Then I remembered Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising. I played this game at release, and although it was unfinished I seem to remember that it had potential, but was cancelled. This is one of those games that just fell entirely off the radar and largely went unmourned.    

I wonder if anyone else has any of those forgotten mmos they once played and which subsequently fell into obscurity?  

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    If I've forgotten about a game then it means it wasn't important to me. Whether it is popular, obscure or dead I have no nostalgia or curiosity about it. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Tabula Rasa, I wish they would have went free to play model.  I really miss Global Agenda but hear the population is now down to near nil so haven't so far tried it again.

• SagethornSagethorn Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey
    Tabula Rasa, I wish they would have went free to play model.  I really miss Global Agenda but hear the population is now down to near nil so haven't so far tried it again.

/sniff

I still have my collectors edition box with the coin and dog tags for Tabula Rasa .. i miss that game.

Some of the earliest online games i can remember playing were called Diaspora (was launched in 2000 and was a point and click java game .. probly a very obscure game but was considered an mmo) and Anarchy Online.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I've tried (and forgotten) alot of games...I dont realize how many until I go to a site that has a list of games.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I liked Ryzom. Still going but very under the radar.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Archlord...It's kind of a game that has forgotten itself. it's devs did make a hard effort at one point to restore the games relevancy. But I think that noise may have fallen on deaf ears. Thing is when I played it, I don't think anything was particularly wrong with it. It was just outdated. Other things like GW, Aika,, then GWII came along and did what it did better. And so it's just there but pretty much empty (last I looked).

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Only me remember each game as i played?
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

ryzom

istaria

wakfu (kind of, not totaly forgotten)

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

AC2 feels forgotten mostly because although it seemed moderately successful for the time, it almost never gets mentioned in any MMORPG discussions.  I didn't play it long, but admittedly it had a few reasonably interesting mechanics (first MMORPG I played where quests felt like a significant part of gameplay, and the classes felt interesting if poorly executed.)

Others that I played even less:

• Earth & Beyond
    • Ryzom
    • Auto Assault
    And the ones that were  popular enough that they probably don't deserve to be mentioned in a "forgotten" thread
    • Ragnarok
    • Lineage 1

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Auto Assault was a cool game .. No one has forgotten Lineage 1 .. as it is the # 1 money maker for NC Soft ..still
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Auto Assault was a cool game .. No one has forgotten Lineage 1 .. as it is the # 1 money maker for NC Soft ..still

The idea behind Auto Assault was cool, but I always found the execution a little flawed. How do you make an mmo involving cars with guns tedious? I wish someone would have another shot at something similar.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Axehilt

AC2 feels forgotten mostly because although it seemed moderately successful for the time, it almost never gets mentioned in any MMORPG discussions.  I didn't play it long, but admittedly it had a few reasonably interesting mechanics (first MMORPG I played where quests felt like a significant part of gameplay, and the classes felt interesting if poorly executed.)

• Earth & Beyond
    • Ryzom
    • Auto Assault
    And the ones that were  popular enough that they probably don't deserve to be mentioned in a "forgotten" thread
    • Ragnarok
    • Lineage 1

The ones you played less were some of my favorite old mmo's. Anarchy online would be number one for me. Those will always be my favorite gaming times with all the friends i had back then that played.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by FomaldehydeJim

The idea behind Auto Assault was cool, but I always found the execution a little flawed. How do you make an mmo involving cars with guns tedious? I wish someone would have another shot at something similar.  

Agreed, trinity combat just isn't made for a car game.

But the setting is interesting. There been a bunch of boardgames and table tops on the subject over the years.

Also I think a game like that should be like an old amiga game I can't remember the name off, there you left your car to plunder abanded buildings for gasoline, ammo, spare parts and gear. And of course a game like that should have plenty of customization on your car.

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Originally posted by vadio123
    Only me remember each game as i played?

Nope.. I too remember every one of the MMOs I have ever played.. The good.. the bad.. and the dearly departed.. (Tabula Rasa, Earth and Beyond, Auto Assault.. You went before your time.. sigh)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Played and fell into obscurity.

Zentia - great cute game that canceled not long after release.

SMT: Imagine - Japanese, very clever design.  Played for a while, it switched publishers then vanished.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

While I haven't forgotten any of the mmo's I've tried I feel there are some "forgotten mmo's".

As was already mentioned, Ryzom feels forgotten. It's still going but we never hear anything about it.

Gods and Heroes was also mentioned. While that was a disappointment it was bought by another group that tried to revive it and then one day it was gone again.

Archlord (as was mentioned) feels forgotten and Archlord 2 feels like it happened but no one knew. It was in beta and has always been in beta even though it operates like it was launched (which I feel it has).

We get some info but what about the "It's Launched" info?

And what happened to that steam punk f2p game that was launched and then I think it was bought back by the original developers and I've never heard anything again.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Dark and Light.   Hype hype hype ... suck suck suck. Whole
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I forgot about KOTOR 2 when it came out and even though I bought it, I never played it...

Now 10 years later there is a patch for it and I'm going to finally play it.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I feel like I introduced Ryzom to alot of people here with how frequently I would reference it and people would ask what the game even was. Remember explaining it to axehilt even.

Saga was one I tried when it first launched as an attempt at a collectible RTS style game with cards.

I'm not great with names and unless the game actually had something outstanding for me to want to tinker with I've kinda forgotten the names of many of them, but I try a lot of titles. Most of them just aren't worth remembering in the frist place. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by Sovrath

While I haven't forgotten any of the mmo's I've tried I feel there are some "forgotten mmo's".

As was already mentioned, Ryzom feels forgotten. It's still going but we never hear anything about it.

Gods and Heroes was also mentioned. While that was a disappointment it was bought by another group that tried to revive it and then one day it was gone again.

Archlord (as was mentioned) feels forgotten and Archlord 2 feels like it happened but no one knew. It was in beta and has always been in beta even though it operates like it was launched (which I feel it has).

We get some info but what about the "It's Launched" info?

And what happened to that steam punk f2p game that was launched and then I think it was bought back by the original developers and I've never heard anything again.

@ Sovrath: you're probably referring to City of Steam, it did relaunch and you can find it on the new developers' site etc.

As for me, it will always be Chronicles of Spellborn, although I never did forget it, it has (with one exception) almost completely faded away. Some fans did eventually build a test copy on a private server. I just never really got over the original game crashing and burning as spectacularly as it did.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I do this every once in a while... I have disks for Horizons and Matrix Online.  Neither of which I remember playing more than a week after launch.
  • gideonvaldesgideonvaldes Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Axehilt

• Earth & Beyond
    • Ryzom
    • Auto Assault
    • Ragnarok
    • Lineage 1

Ragnarok and Lineage 1, agreed. 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

So far I only played Lineage 2, Vanguard, and Guild Wars(*). I dont think any of them can count as "forgotten".

(*) Like many I dont consider Guild Wars a MMO. Its a multiplayer game and the cities serve as hubs, i.e. you can see other people in them.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I've been trying to remember two dragon mmo's I played.  I can't remember their names. 

1) You started in the starter zone.  Made your way across grassy lands to outpost with npc's training.  Did something there beginner like can't remember what.  Did some quests around outpost.  It seemed important to pick nodes.  Grassland, trees, mountains in the distance.  Eventually you head out toward the main city.  Along the way there is a temple.  Some quest near it gives you a DRAGON EGG.  You get stuck with this stupid egg for the rest of the game doing all kinds of dumb stuff to try to get it to hatch/grow.  The first dungeon was next to the main city at the base of a cave.   I got a free goat mount to ride.  More impressive was a bat mount which you could actually fly on.  But it was a Cash Shop game that expected you to pay money for more mounts etc.  I quit because of the cash shop and the dragon hatchling took to much care.  I think dragon's first stage was an egg that had wings that floated followed you?  Anyone remember this game's name?

2)  You start in a pioneer fantasy town.  There are dragons everywhere outside town.  You could catch and keep dragons as pets.  You tried to catch the best dragon you could.  Game was okay but the lag was horrendous so I had to quit.  Anyone remember it's name?

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

I've been trying to remember two dragon mmo's I played.  I can't remember their names. 

1) You started in the starter zone.  Made your way across grassy lands to outpost with npc's training.  Did something there beginner like can't remember what.  Did some quests around outpost.  It seemed important to pick nodes.  Grassland, trees, mountains in the distance.  Eventually you head out toward the main city.  Along the way there is a temple.  Some quest near it gives you a DRAGON EGG.  You get stuck with this stupid egg for the rest of the game doing all kinds of dumb stuff to try to get it to hatch/grow.  The first dungeon was next to the main city at the base of a cave.   I got a free goat mount to ride.  More impressive was a bat mount which you could actually fly on.  But it was a Cash Shop game that expected you to pay money for more mounts etc.  I quit because of the cash shop and the dragon hatchling took to much care.  I think dragon's first stage was an egg that had wings that floated followed you?  Anyone remember this game's name?

2)  You start in a pioneer fantasy town.  There are dragons everywhere outside town.  You could catch and keep dragons as pets.  You tried to catch the best dragon you could.  Game was okay but the lag was horrendous so I had to quit.  Anyone remember it's name?

One of these might have been Dragon Prophet.