Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My BDO Experience [Korea]

1235»

Comments

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162

Pros

• Awesome graphics
    • Complete open world
    • Plenty of things one can do
    • Unique game features
    • Decent class system with no old school "holy trinity" of classes
    • Action packed combat system that is more than just pressing the hotkeys

Cons

• Linear progression
    • Plenty of things to do, but not everything is worth doing
    • Exponentially increasing grindiness
    • Lack of end game content
    • Requires a large guild in order to enjoy some features of the game.
    • Complete absence of instances/dungeons may be a turn off for some players
    • Has the potential to be P2W if the publishers in the Western markets so desire
    • Learning curve may be too steep for some due to its unique features
    • Very RNG based, hardwork does not always pay off
    • Performance optimization has room for improvements
    OP seems to have downplayed the RNG nature of the game.
    Most of this game is based on RNG. The grinding, be it gathering or simply killing mods for drops, is RNG, you keep doing the same thing hoping for a high grade proc/drop. The enchantment (increasing the base stats), which makes up the vast majority of character progression, is RNG, you can fail 50 times in a row (yeah that's me OTL) or succeed in just a few attempts. The upgrading of gears (from green to blue to yellow rarity) is RNG.

By the time one reaches the late game (lv 50ish), the only things that are worth doing are  the grind and the PvP. The former is to improve your gears so that you can do better in the latter. However with the grind and character progression being so RNG heavy, it casts a shadow of doubt on the players as to whether their hardwork will pay off. And most of the time, it doesn't. What happens then is a kind of burnout where the players become tired of the endless grinding as very little of that actually translate into tangible character progression. Here one might argue that the grinding also leads to increases in skill levels (the various crafting/gathering skills, combat skills etc) and that's got to be something. Unfortunately it's not the case. With the PvP being pretty much the sole late game content, the skill levels are irrelevant, with the exception of perhaps the combat skills which players spend to learn new and more powerful skills/spells. But then again, the combat skills are earned so easily that even the average players that hardly grind at all have more than enough combat skill points to spend (I personally am sitting at close to a hundred redundant skill points, and I don't even grind at all). As such players begin to question themselves about the purpose of their grind. And ultimately this comes down to the problem which is the lack of late game content. Because currently the late game activities can be easily summed up in just a few things.

Grind for money/drops  -> Spend money on enchantment/upgrading -> Succeeds once or twice after failing a lot -> Participate in PvP with guild -> Back to grinding

What is even more troubling is that Black Desert requires the players to be in a guild, a large one preferably, or else some content will be locked away from them, content such as guild wars (which also happens to be one of the few late game things worth doing). This is borderline ridiculous as being a member of a guild should be a matter of choice. It is unfair to the players when not being in a guild automatically segregates them from a portion of the game's content. Even games like Guild Wars 2 don't do things like this. But then again, if Black Desert advertises itself as a guild centric MMO then well, touché.

So there you have it, with a grindy, RNG based, and guild centric game that lacks late game content, the glaring problems with Black Desert are self-evident. That being said, the game does have merits of it's own, which I believe the OP has sufficiently clarified already.

Black Desert was a game I thoroughly enjoyed for a couple of months, it was a game I had such high hopes for, but that hope is quickly diminishing now.

P.S. I have inserted a GPU benchmark I posted on MMORPG.com several months ago. This should give you a better idea of the kind of hardware you need for the game.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I wonder how this game compares to Lineage 2, sounds a lot like it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by DMKano

Originally posted by JDis25

I just played up to level 20 on the Japenese version. I am very disappointed to say that nothing draws me to this game so far. It made me appreciate Archeage's take on sandbox much much more. Maybe at 50 is when the sandbox begins, but so far it has just been mob after mob grind. Advancing your class makes little difference to the combat. The action combat is fun but gets very repetitive on the same class. I am already bored. Granted the game is beautiful, and attention to detail on certain aspects is very very high. I just wish it grabbed me more. I have no urge to get to 50. And forget crafting, I have no inventory space for it at all.

Same conclusion for me. I don't even consider this a sandbox game anymore. Can't wait for this to come to NA so so people can try it first hand, /popcorn

Lol, it was never a sandbox mmo in the first place. Honestly, go play Wurm Online and seriously come back and tell you still think BD was a sandbox mmo in the first place.

• ankhfnkhonsuankhfnkhonsu Member UncommonPosts: 93

Same conclusion for me. I don't even consider this a sandbox game anymore. Can't wait for this to come to NA so so people can try it first hand, /popcorn

I'm sorry, but when did you play BDO? I've asked you this over and over and you keep dodging the question.

Lolwut?

No open world housing
    No open auction market
    No naval warfare and customization of ships
    No interdependence with other players
    100% solo pve, 100% solo crafting
    No multiclassing
    What sandbox elements are left??? They all got stripped away 6+ months ago when the game was still decent

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish. "

Stop trying to define what a sandbox game is with features from AA. Your logic is that of a child. You should also watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHsll9LFZ4

Originally posted by aurabullets

Pros

• Awesome graphics
    • Complete open world
    • Plenty of things one can do
    • Unique game features
    • Decent class system with no old school "holy trinity" of classes
    • Action packed combat system that is more than just pressing the hotkeys

Cons

• Linear progression
    • Plenty of things to do, but not everything is worth doing
    • Exponentially increasing grindiness
    • Lack of end game content
    • Requires a large guild in order to enjoy some features of the game.
    • Complete absence of instances/dungeons may be a turn off for some players
    • Has the potential to be P2W if the publishers in the Western markets so desire
    • Learning curve may be too steep for some due to its unique features
    • Very RNG based, hardwork does not always pay off
    • Performance optimization has room for improvements
    OP seems to have downplayed the RNG nature of the game.
    Most of this game is based on RNG. The grinding, be it gathering or simply killing mods for drops, is RNG, you keep doing the same thing hoping for a high grade proc/drop. The enchantment (increasing the base stats), which makes up the vast majority of character progression, is RNG, you can fail 50 times in a row (yeah that's me OTL) or succeed in just a few attempts. The upgrading of gears (from green to blue to yellow rarity) is RNG.

By the time one reaches the late game (lv 50ish), the only things that are worth doing are  the grind and the PvP. The former is to improve your gears so that you can do better in the latter. However with the grind and character progression being so RNG heavy, it casts a shadow of doubt on the players as to whether their hardwork will pay off. And most of the time, it doesn't. What happens then is a kind of burnout where the players become tired of the endless grinding as very little of that actually translate into tangible character progression. Here one might argue that the grinding also leads to increases in skill levels (the various crafting/gathering skills, combat skills etc) and that's got to be something. Unfortunately it's not the case. With the PvP being pretty much the sole late game content, the skill levels are irrelevant, with the exception of perhaps the combat skills which players spend to learn new and more powerful skills/spells. But then again, the combat skills are earned so easily that even the average players that hardly grind at all have more than enough combat skill points to spend (I personally am sitting at close to a hundred redundant skill points, and I don't even grind at all). As such players begin to question themselves about the purpose of their grind. And ultimately this comes down to the problem which is the lack of late game content. Because currently the late game activities can be easily summed up in just a few things.

Grind for money/drops  -> Spend money on enchantment/upgrading -> Succeeds once or twice after failing a lot -> Participate in PvP with guild -> Back to grinding

What is even more troubling is that Black Desert requires the players to be in a guild, a large one preferably, or else some content will be locked away from them, content such as guild wars (which also happens to be one of the few late game things worth doing). This is borderline ridiculous as being a member of a guild should be a matter of choice. It is unfair to the players when not being in a guild automatically segregates them from a portion of the game's content. Even games like Guild Wars 2 don't do things like this. But then again, if Black Desert advertises itself as a guild centric MMO then well, touché.

So there you have it, with a grindy, RNG based, and guild centric game that lacks late game content, the glaring problems with Black Desert are self-evident. That being said, the game does have merits of it's own, which I believe the OP has sufficiently clarified already.

Black Desert was a game I thoroughly enjoyed for a couple of months, it was a game I had such high hopes for, but that hope is quickly diminishing now.

P.S. I have inserted a GPU benchmark I posted on MMORPG.com several months ago. This should give you a better idea of the kind of hardware you need for the game.

First of all, yes, there is RNG.. just like every other MMORPG that has existed. Yes, there is RNG in the enchanting system.. but it's not something that you can fail infinitely. Every time you fail, your chance to succeed increases.. just because you are very unlucky doesn't mean the game is "mostly" based on RNG. BTW, I don't grind mobs that have rare drops, it's not efficient. I grind mobs that give me 2-8k per mob... and I make about 3-5m per hour. And hey, if I get a drop.. great, but that isn't my goal, it's just a bonus. Also, if you aren't breeding horses, hunting whales, going to ZAKA world boss.. then you aren't nearly making as much money as you could be making. Gearing up in BDO is easy, and leveling? I got my Ninja from 1-55 in 3 days (while working 9 hours the first 2 days.. so maybe 16 hours total?)

There are plenty of things worth doing.. I've already mentioned a few, but just in case you weren't aware of the others: Red Battleground (PvP), Crafting, Fishing, Trading (extremely rewarding at higher levels), Hunting.. just because you couldn't find things to do doesn't mean they don't exist.

Yes, the game has, and always will be, based on GvG's. That is the entire point of the game's PvP. However, if you don't want to be in a guild you can still do everything (except participate in GvG's) - which includes other forms of PvP such a dueling, red battleground, and PKing). 

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, it was never a sandbox mmo in the first place. Honestly, go play Wurm Online and seriously come back and tell you still think BD was a sandbox mmo in the first place.
    See my response to Kano
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by ankhfnkhonsu
    • Getting to 50 is very easy, and that's good because that is when the game "starts".

That's all i need to know. I'll pass.

Originally posted by deniter
    • Getting to 50 is very easy, and that's good because that is when the game "starts".

You seem to be under the impression that 50 is the max level.. in reality, there is no level cap, and skill unlock (currently) up until level 82.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Downloading the game again, did a clean installation of windows :P. I for one love the combat in this game and it is in my opinion "a lot" better than Archeage.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279

You seem to be under the impression that 50 is the max level.. in reality, there is no level cap, and skill unlock (currently) up until level 82.

That's really cool, in fact....it's borderline amazing.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Most of the time your comment would have meant exactly that; 50 being the max level. I'm glad i was wrong. :)

I might check this game out afterall.

Most of the time your comment would have meant exactly that; 50 being the max level. I'm glad i was wrong. :)

I might check this game out afterall.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to clarify ^.^

• CybersclongCybersclong Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Thank OP for the info. Based on that info I am going to play this game but the loss of karma on a kill sounds bad .....I want to kill people without having to grind to kill the next person.
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Interresing thanks to sharing with us!
    Originally posted by Cybersclong
    Thank OP for the info. Based on that info I am going to play this game but the loss of karma on a kill sounds bad .....I want to kill people without having to grind to kill the next person.

You can join the red battlefield, it's essentially a world-wide battleground (people are split into red or blue teams). You can join at any time and it takes place over the entire channel. Alternatively you can join/create a guild and declare war on other guilds (up to 4 at a time) when your guild is at war you can kill anyone in the other guild(s) at any time without penalty.