Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam release - after all these years...

2»

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by dsmart
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    I remember being in the alpha and beta of this game a long time ago. It had some promise. All that went out the window when Smart took over. It is only still going because it is pretty much free money for them to use on other " projects ".

Just goes to show that you don't know wtf you're talking about. The money going into Alganon, comes from me. 

And you have your history all screwed up. Completely. But don't let that stop you. Here, let someone help you out with that.

Firstly, I have nothing to do with Derek Smart or the company behind Alganon. What I do have is, as a player many hours over the years in this game. I am also aware of a lot of the troubled development/history of Alganon. 

The original person behind the development made a mess of it and whatever anyone thinks of Derek Smart, he stepped in and saved Alganon. 

To be honest, by then, a lot of damage had been done and it seems that it has been a uphill struggle to keep Alganon going and bring in a large population.

It seems the cards were stacked up against Alganon not because it is a bad MMO but of what the original main man did (or did not do). Kinda demonstrates how bad press can ruin even a good thing.

That is a shame because while Alganon is not a AAA MMO that will set the world on fire, it is still a decent respectable MMO that has a lot of good points to it. 

As far as it's development, I imagine much of the slow progress over the years on Alganon plus the expansion was done on a tight shoestring budget. But, apart from very low populations, it seems like a decent polished little MMO.

For me, the only reason I still do not play Alganon is the low population. I pop back in from time to time because it does have a special feeling for me.I know that if the population picks up in a real way, I will be back in.

So, try to ignore all the negative comments and just give it a try. It may not be your cup of tea but you may be positively surprised. Remember that populations may be low but if enough people give it a shot, that might change.

Kinda nice to see Alganon on Steam :)

I was there from the beginning. The game was better then than it ever was after.. No amount of revision can change that fact. And you arent fooling anyone with that fake review. So obvious when the first line is " I have nothing to do with Derek Smart ". Try harder to hide your own posts.

Maybe you should bring Jason Appleton and James Proctor on board and complete your " team ". I am sure that would be entertaining.. Three epic fails on the same team. At least one of you had the " Smarts " to buy your degree before beginning.

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

Well I was going to link the steam charts page so people could take a look at the initial steam launch and remaining playerbase ect but this site is so messed up I cant even do that. Its not even letting me copy paste a link into here raw.

Anyway its pretty grim, though I expect its several fold more people than the last 5 years so....

Oh and if you ever wanted to see what a forum moderated by dereck smart and his band of merry moderators would look like check out the steam forums.  Its pretty bad and they've already did a fantastic job shooting themselves in the foot with the steam community...as you would expect from people who regularly fight with their customer base.

Reviews on steam are mostly negative....cant imagine someone who download the game plays for a bit, asks why the game has a paywall for content ect in it on the forums, gets banned for it, then leave a positive review of the game....probably should have thought that through....

I actually wonder how well the game would have done if mr smart and the moderator/dev just kept silent on steam, and yes its really obvious they have either posting accounts or close friends/employees going hardcore positive on steam and even giving it reviews using the same exact wording of phrases used by them on their public accounts.

Its all kind of humorous to be honest.  I actually came here looking for the ancient side by side comparisons between wow and this game, since they are going at it again trying to convince people its nothing like wow despite people saying it is...yes they are still fighting people on that claiming the discussions over then banning any poor sap on steam who wanders across the game not knowing its run by stalin moderators, asks about it then gets insta banned.

Anyway I always find steam trainwrecks entertaining. 

• SelzyrSelzyr Member UncommonPosts: 60

Derek, work on the graphics and animations and leave the expansion for something bigger, if you work on those graphics just a little, and that UI, people might give it a try?

hey I played it like 3 hours, seemed interesting but lacked...how should I put it...weight? impact? hard to explain but since it uses a similar/equal combat system to a lot of mmorpgs out there, people usualy don't even look at the good points the game might have.

just a heads up guys, don't bash to much on him, one day, when you got something runing, you might be bashed with/without a reason, and regardless of the side, doesn't taste good either way.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. And the more you know Insanity, is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. But I can tell you that only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Originally posted by Nilden

This game is like the unkillable cockroach of literal WoW clones.

There are two reasons why this game is still around:

1) Derek invested in this turd and doesn't want to let go

2) Derek wants to claim this abortion of a game was a success because it's stuck around so long.  Even though it is costing them money.