Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Micah 'Bashiok' Whipple Headed to Carbine?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, long time Blizzard community manager Micah "Bashiok" Whipple announced he was leaving the company after over a decade. In a new Twitter post, Whipple posted a photo of one of WildStar's plush goats on his dashboard with #FirstDay as his hashtag.

Alright, let's go buddy. #FirstDay pic.twitter.com/UdQqPhnO0l

— Micah Whipple (@micahwhipple) August 3, 2015

This comes shortly after former WildStar designer Stephen Frost announced that he was leaving Carbine to head to Blizzard.

It's a great big family, no?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

didnt see this coming!- carbine proving me wrong!

congrats! n welcome cupcake!

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    brave or ignorant? i dont know if i would dare to go from a pretty safe spot at blizz to carbine which could be considered a sinking ship.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    brave or ignorant? i dont know if i would dare to go from a pretty safe spot at blizz to carbine which could be considered a sinking ship.

Well, Carbine was founded by a lot of ex-Blizzard members, so...why not?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

Well, Carbine was founded by a lot of ex-Blizzard members, so...why not?

Oh thats why wildstar didn't do so hot :P

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I once snagged a really awesome job at Merrill Lynch during the great stock market blunder of 2008 with a significant pay increase...although I had my concerns, I was told my department didn't have much to worry about. So I took it.......annnnnd about 3 months later I was laid off.

...not sure why this article reminded me of that occasion

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Dear god ... he's gone insane.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dear God ... he's gone insane.

He deals (or used to) with the WoW community every day for a living. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Yeah...I think I'd prefer stability to going to a situation where they're doing a major operating change.  Maybe he just got to the point where he couldn't climb the ladder at Blizzard anymore though.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    So pretty much he:

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Latest tweet suggests he isn't necessarily going to Wildstar, but rather covering all NCsoft games.  I suspect we'll see him more active on the BnS side than WildStar.

https://twitter.com/micahwhipple/status/628276989254701056

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Even if he couldn't climb the ladder any higher at Blizzard? I think stability is even more important over being promoted somewhere else.

I mean that new position would have to pay so much more to be worth the gamble.

I have read plenty of threads on the Wildstar forums. It isn't much of an improvement over WoW. Assuming he went for a new community. I guess it is possible he won't be dealing with that anymore.

Still it's a gamble. Maybe he thinks he could head back to Blizzard at worst.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I thought NCsoft essentially dealt on a platform community more so than for any specific title having it's own Community/Customer service? if that's the case, I don't see how it's not stable.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Innnnnnteresting. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    It says "Senior Content Manger, NCSOFT"
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dear god ... he's gone insane.

Well, maybe he knows something we don't. In any case do he have his work cut out for him this time, this will be hard.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Why would you jump a sailing ship, to one that is sinking?

Intriguing.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I was hoping he was pairing up with Chris Whiteside from gw2 who now work on Firefall at Red. They would have made an awesome team.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Sometimes no amount of money or job security can replace respect. If he was disrespected or somehow underpaid/not promoted that can be reason enough to leave anywhere.

And let's be real, Micah isn't going to be starving anytime soon. He can get any MMO related job he wants with his long WoW resume'. Hell even WoW would rehire him just because of the job training investment they made. That said I wouldn't have chosen Wildstar that's for sure. That game is unfixable unless they change alot of how combat works, which will never happen.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Intriguing.

Well, usually you do that to save it from sinking. I can just wish him good luck.

Edit: the second reason anyone jumps on a sinking ship is to save valuables and people stuck on it but I don't think that is what Bashiok is trying here.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    So he jumped off the sinking Blizzard ship and has gone to hang out with his old friends that helped create the original Blizzard company... no problems here. Good Move Micah!

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• silentdevosilentdevo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    he was a asshat while he worked for blizzard, sarcastic, and overall just didn't care for the community, why carbine would bring him in, is anyone's guess. They might be trying to lose more of their fan base.
  • WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Intriguing.

You have never think that maybe he is left Blizzard for that simple fact that he may feel that WoW is head in wrong direction  for true been told atm it just feel blizzard try to get as much money out of game and dont care much about make good expansion anymore honest the should have made in WoW after lich king expansion.

For the WoW we have today is not same WoW i start play back in 2004 it have become way to easy and way to single-track everyone have same gear and same build everyone can do samething that is not what mmorpg is.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    So he jumped off the sinking Blizzard ship and has gone to hang out with his old friends that helped create the original Blizzard company... no problems here. Good Move Micah!

Blizzard is a sinking ship? HAHAHA..I bet on your death bed you will still ramble on : "i can see it..just a little bit more..blizzard is sinking......" and then you yourself will sink in darkness..

And no, carbine developers did not create blizzard, they were part of the developers team of world of warcraft. Blizzard was created by mark morheim, allan adham and frank pearce.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I think he works on B&S and not on Wildstar.
  • CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Looks to me like a pure "more money&benefits there" move. Probably sounds hard to believe that NCSOFT would pay more than Blizz, but who knows.