Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Questions From A Potential Player

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515

I'm looking for a new MMO to try out and came across Skyforge.  The art & gear style is really 100% my taste, so I'm hoping the game itself is good.

- I've heard people referring to Skyforge as a "lobby game".  What exactly does that mean?  Is there no persistent world and things such as main cities, towns etc to group up and meet other players?

- Is there a level cap, and if so what is it?

- Is there deep character progression?

- How is the population right now?

- Does gear drop from mobs/bosses which I can equip on my character?

- Could I potentially spend a couple of years or more on this game, or is there not much content?

Thanks.

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

There is a cap but getting there befor they raise it may never happen, deep character progression not as deep then it is like get a set a skill get to pick for pvp, pve or cc pretty much deep.

Population hard to tell as a instant game and allod team working on the game some will not touch it cuz of them, and other seeing how it pan out.

Yes gear does drop that you can equip but don't change much of look of your weapon, but it's have it own stats pick smart if want to hit hard.

So far the content that is now if you like doing dungeon instant runs over and over thats so far whats been going on you do get new maps higher level you go but can be slow. But on the pvp side to soon to tell but if your in to guild vs guild fight then maybe worth it to you, the raiding now so so sure about the game.

But there should be a major patch soon you can wait until then to try it out, as it right stand right now it's make or break for people where they stand now.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Another Couple questions if I may:

How big is the world in comparison to GW2/ESO for example, and how open is it, does it have portals/intrusive invisible walls.

What's the expected average time to get to max level or end of the main quest chain/get to last zone.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

How big is the world in comparison to GW2/ESO for example, and how open is it, does it have portals/intrusive invisible walls.

What's the expected average time to get to max level or end of the main quest chain/get to last zone.

There are a few maps that are open. I am 16k prestige and have played on 4 of them I believe. I would compare 1 of these maps to 1 zone in GW2, for size, there are only a certain number of quests to do and if you repeat them, you don't receive the same reward.  Max level seems like it would take months to get to, even longer for a f2p player, as a "premium" player will receive more of the currency used to progress your character.

This is a lobby game. Sort of like Warframe. There is a main city you can hang out in, but the game mostly consists of waiting for group queues or running solo dungeons. The dungeons you can do with up to 3 people or by yourself. The group dungeons are for 5 people, a tank, support and 3 dps. The PvP maps are 3v3, 6 people ffa and 10x10. PvP seems really unbalanced to me right now, some classes are definitely more powerful in pvp.

The game is not completely p2w, but you can definitely progress faster if you pay money. You cannot buy gear or the main currency to unlock abilities.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by FuryV

I'm looking for a new MMO to try out and came across Skyforge.  The art & gear style is really 100% my taste, so I'm hoping the game itself is good.

- I've heard people referring to Skyforge as a "lobby game".  What exactly does that mean?  Is there no persistent world and things such as main cities, towns etc to group up and meet other players?

- Could I potentially spend a couple of years or more on this game, or is there not much content?

Thanks.

about the character progression: you can switch class at any time..no trainer..no fee..just *POOF*..(???)

how Deep is THAT?

of course, that gives them a reason to limit you to ONE character

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's a lobby game. The game world is not open at all and you can't travel from one part of the world to another directky. You just go on missions from the central hub.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Iselin

It's a lobby game. The game world is not open at all and you can't travel from one part of the world to another directky. You just go on missions from the central hub.

That's what I love about it. No drama, no emo.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Oh lol another fail.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Oh lol another fail.

Well yes and no. It's F2P and it does have unique, interesting (and a bit confusing lol) character development system. It'll just cost you some bandwidth to check out. But yeah... not really a "real MMO" in the EQ, LOTRO, Rift, WOW, ESO, GW2 or even SWTOR sense.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

You may call it a fail but I see a boat load of people on at all times.   And it is very fun.  The combat is so far the best action based combat done yet.  But since you already know its going to fail having not played it and all then you should probably find something else.

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Character progression is rather interesting. 

1.  Class specific gear is required for all slots except your 4 rings.  But, and it's a big but, you are able to upgrade the quality of Main, Offhand and Rings slots, increasing the stats of ALL your classes.   Any outdated equipment is dissembled to create the mats you need to upgrade these slots.  So, nothing wasted.   Improving your equipment slots is one type of character progression.

2.  Changing class is as simple as going to any main menu in the game (character, inventory, etc.) and clicking on the class you want to play.  There is no need to switch out gear to change class, your equipment changes when you change class (equipped items do NOT go into your inventory, so no need to worry about taking up inventory space).   Improving your gear is one way to improve your character stats or give you perks based on the equipment affixes. 

3.  There are two progression trees in the game, one is your class-specific skill tree and the other is the ascension atlas, which pertains to all your classes.  By playing a specific class you earn points specifically for that class that you can only spend on that class's skills.  But you also earn points that you can spend on your Ascension Atlas that benefits all your classes with improved stats and talents.  

4.  By putting points (called Sparks in the game) into your Ascension Atlas, you are able to open up new classes to play and progress through.   Your new class will benefit from all the work you have put into the Ascension Atlas and your Order (see below) as well as from its own class skill tree.  

5.  At a certain point in the game (around 2K Prestige), your Order becomes available to you in the Hall of Greatness.  Your Order worships you.  You are, after all, a God.  By improving your Order, you improve your character stats.  

The game is purely lobby based, although there are certain areas with lobby doors where a lot of people hang out.  There are Regions, which is open world questing in a contained zone.  And there are individual instances that can be played by 1 or more.  Another poster has already described these.  Therefore, the game consists of farming Sparks (class and ascension points) to improve your classes and your Order.  The type of content you do and how repetitious it is will depend on what type of content you enjoy as a player:  solo adventures, region quests, group dungeons, or PvP. 

There is no crafting to speak of, other than dissembling your gear to upgrade your gear slots.

For any reasonable person, there is no level cap in the game.  The amount of game time required to complete your individual class skill trees and the Ascension Atlas are significant.   In addition, the game has a cap on how many of these you are allowed to acquire in a weekly cycle.  Once you reach the acquisition cap for the week (which runs Wednesday to Tuesday), then you cannot progress your skill trees.

At the moment, there is sparse information about the best way to build your character.  Prestige determines what rewards you receive for content, but if you push your Prestige too high before you have fully developed your class tree, you may be underpowered to do rewarding content and find yourself in a trough where you are farming instances over and over to get sparks to improve a class.   So, there are some concerns about balance and how to maintain it, but there is just not much information about either.  

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Originally posted by Cazriel

2.  Changing class is as simple as going to any main menu in the game (character, inventory, etc.) and clicking on the class you want to play.  There is no need to switch out gear to change class, your equipment changes when you change class (equipped items do NOT go into your inventory, so no need to worry about taking up inventory space).   Improving your gear is one way to improve your character stats or give you perks based on the equipment affixes.

/cries for the founder's weapons I disassembled  for space.image

Originally posted by Soraksis

You may call it a fail but I see a boat load of people on at all times.   And it is very fun.  The combat is so far the best action based combat done yet.  But since you already know its going to fail having not played it and all then you should probably find something else.

1. MMOS need more than " a boatload" of people to thrive..certainly more than 100s in the capital

2.action combat will guarantee, that players only can play in shorter sessions..not the 12-16 hours a day, as in the big mmos

we dont know the budget, so i wont speculate on the "failure", but it will be a small niche title , at best

Oh lol another fail.

a bit harsh, but the "spartans in Space" theme doesnt help at all

if i have the complex materials of the future, why wouldnt i design my gear and weapons, to be as effective , as possible?

why should i chose a design, that looks "cool" but is ancient?

the start of the game is another problem: you log in, get thrown in action with a standard toon, that  gets killed

in the first 15 mins(!) . then you get rezzed. so you can take "your" standard toon to the character creator...or rather

"modifier". need i say more?

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Not faill at all

But combat is below average....

All others aspect in games is okay 

Lore OK

PVP ok

Combat average

PVE average

Quest hub streamlined

Replay value = 0 you going do same area over and over again , same shit over over 

its not funny at all , but you need do 

Well have others things as well 6/10 my score

lore is NOT "okay"

why wouldnt the "real "gods in this game just save all those people themselves, so they could get

all the perks for it too? charity?  okay..so theyre charitable to their COMPETITION , but not to the very

basis of their existance? makes total sense..not

• TerrornautTerrornaut Member UncommonPosts: 25
    The gods are not omnipotent in this game, they make that clear. They can't be in multiple places sothey take on the biggest problems they can and send their adepts and lesser gods to take care of the smaller problems... Just... Like we the PCs do.
    Originally posted by Terrornaut
    The gods are not omnipotent in this game, they make that clear. They can't be in multiple places sothey take on the biggest problems they can and send their adepts and lesser gods to take care of the smaller problems... Just... Like we the PCs do.

in short: theyre not really gods..they just like to pretend

why should i Work for them, then?

• ThompsonSubThompsonSub Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Terrornaut

in short: theyre not really gods..they just like to pretend

why should i Work for them, then?

Demigods would be a better term.

Demigod:

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

They are not omnipotent but far more advanced/powerful than normal humans and possessing abilities/powers normal humans do not.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by FuryV

Thanks.

1.  It means you start the game in a hub where you select levels to go on missions, some short linear areas, and some larger more open areas.  You go through the linear area, fight the boss, exit, and repeat whenever you enter it again.  In the larger areas, you go through the area completing multiple quests and fighting multiple bosses.  Whenever you exit the large area, you will have the same quest progression when you go back to it, but if you exit it after completing all of the quests, the next time you enter the large area you start over from the beginning.

2.  Don't know.  Potentially?  There technically are no levels, just prestige.  You increase prestige by filling nodes that increase your stats and give you new skills and abilities.  Technically once you fill out all of the nodes (and that is something I wouldn't recommend, even for completionists because there are just far too many) you are at the max level, except you aren't.  Some nodes can be filled over and over again with certain items up to a certain limit, and this also increases your stats and prestige.  Also equipping items that increase your stats even higher increases your prestige.  So technically there is a level cap, you will likely never reach it unless you play the game obsessively to the point where you would probably be hospitalized.

3.  See above.  You select which nodes to use to increase your stats or give you new skills/abilities.  And the talent trees on which all these nodes are located is huge, like Path of Exile talent tree huge.

4.  The population is ok.  It's not queue levels of overpopulated, but neither is it barren.

5.  Yes.  You get a weapon, an item that is related to your weapon but doesn't do anything to change its skin, several rings, several artifacts, and two trophies.

6.  Yes and no.  Both really.  The amount of time it would take to max out your character could potentially take years, and if you enjoy stuff like that then yes this game will give you years of playtime.  However, content...you're mostly doing the same stuff over and over again in the same areas over and over again.  There is some variety due to, for the most part, inconsequential side missions that don't change the gameplay but just give you tiny side goals that you can try for during your main missions, but for the most part the only thing that will stave off boredom (in my opinion anyway) is taking new classes for a spin whenever you unlock them, which will sadly require a grind that would make a Korean MMO proud, especially if you are trying to unlock all of them.  There is not a lot of variety in mission structure, but the classes more than make up for it by offering unique experiences, both from eachother and from similar classes in other MMOs (e.g. the Archer and Gunner classes in TERA play very similarly to eachother, but the Archer and Gunner classes in Skyforge do not offer similar gameplay styles to eachother and play very differently from the Archer and Gunner classes in TERA).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Since I can't start threads I'll just ask here instead, I'm a paladin, should I upgrade my sword? Or does that just add useless might?

What other Tank classes are there? 

When I've completed my tank class, will I be forced to play other classes to get higher rank? Or how does that work?