Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying it cost nothing

2»

Comments

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Viper482

All the "don't bother" posts are silly for a free game. Why not bother? It is free. Just expect an action game and not an MMO and you will be fine. If you don't like it what did you lose?

I am an MMO purists and I am enjoying the game for what it is. I think maybe it doesn't try to be an MMO too much so it is easier for me to enjoy.

It's more the time investment than the dollar cost.

"Don't waste your time" tends to be the point more than "don't bother".

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by Zinzan

All the "don't bother" posts are silly for a free game. Why not bother? It is free. Just expect an action game and not an MMO and you will be fine. If you don't like it what did you lose?

I am an MMO purists and I am enjoying the game for what it is. I think maybe it doesn't try to be an MMO too much so it is easier for me to enjoy.

It's more the time investment than the dollar cost.

"Don't waste your time" tends to be the point more than "don't bother".

Still silly. Why are you going to let someone else dictate what you try or like? You make it sound as though if you try this game you must commit a year of your life to it or something. Dude, it is just silly.

Try the game, if you don't like it....don't play it! Not trying a game because someone told you not to is about as dumb a thing as I have ever heard. How many foods, movies, games, etc. would you miss out on that you end up enjoying if you listened to that?

I practice what I preach. I did not even think I would like it, but it was free! If I don't think I will like a new game that cost $50 I won't bother until it comes way down. But if all it cost me is an hour of my time, why the hell not.

You will never convince me that people's  time is so precious to them, they cannot afford to try a game.....when they are hanging out posting on this website. If you are reading this post right now....you have time to waste.

Seriously....think about that.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Actually it costs something very very precious

MY TIME !!!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I am still playing I play about an hour or 90 minutes everyday at most .Sometimes for 30 minutes. I have never reached any caps.

Same here.  I am enjoying it so far, but I can see why people don't like it.

My advice to everyone is don't marathon it.  Play it in short bursts.  That way not only will you not reach your cap, but you will also not feel like it is too monotonous.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    I am still playing I play about an hour or 90 minutes everyday at most .Sometimes for 30 minutes. I have never reached any caps.

My advice to everyone is don't marathon it.  Play it in short bursts.  That way not only will you not reach your cap, but you will also not feel like it is too monotonous.

Nobody has to like it, the point of this thread is try it out for yourself instead of taking some stranger's word for it.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Sargeras77

I agree with OP on this one.  While not typically my kind of game I decided to give Skyforge a shot.  I wasn't expecting to try the game for more than an hour as it didn't sound like my cup of tea.  However I ended up loving it and highly recommend you give it a shot and just remember this isn't supposed to a traditional mmo. (more like warframe/destiny.)

I would like to add that It probably shouldn't be your only game/mmo as it is best in bite sized chunks spread throughout the week.

Probably the games main problem is its being called an mmo. Its more like those two games you mentioned. So looking at it from that point of view would be better. They call any online game an mmo now days.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Entropy14

Actually it costs something very very precious

MY TIME !!!

Pointing and rofl@ the guy who says his time is too precious to try a game.....but is browsing mmorpg.com, reading then posting in this thread.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Coming here requires no commitment in time, this post won't take more than a minute.. if that long... On the other hand playing an RPG does require time to both see what it offers, as well as judge whether to keep playing.... . I'm not making a judgment on the game, I may try it at some point. Yet to compare posting to getting started in a new MMORPG, not even close to the same thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by darkrain21
    Your an mmo purist? yet your enjoying it for what it is? A glorified Facebook game with some instance grinding? My post about dont bother was based off 30 hours in game. And while I said dont bother it wasnt to keep people from it. It was to give them a heads up as to the restrictions and maybe save them some time and bandwidth of downloading it. I never once thot my post was going to deter everyone from it. But I know there are like minded people out there that might appriciate a heads up on a game that doesnt allow you to play the way you want to play it.

I stopped reading your post after the first two sentences because that is all it deserved.

Let me be clear, I don't need you to understand why I like the game. I don't need you to agree with me, and I don't need you to like the game.

Here is a revelation for you that you obviously did not clue yourself in on....this thread is not for you! This thread is for people on the fence because they read so many negative things. I myself was not expecting to like this game, but it was free! So my thought was try it and see for yourself. Will I like it next month? Will I be playing it next year? I don't care! I am enjoying it right now, this second. And you cannot take that away from me.

So people, either listen to this guy who does not even want to give you the chance, or just go see for yourself whether you like it or not. Why anyone would argue that logic is beyond my rational thinking.

I know exactly what you mean.  I almost always have a main mmo I play.  Then, I have a few I play from time to time like GW2 and ESO just because they are fun and since I own them cost me nothing.  I like your perspective on this.  I might actually check it out at some point.  If it plays like I think it plays, it could be a fun distraction from time to time.  Kind of like Defiance and my old guilty pleasure Global Agenda ;-)

I kind of like it.  Sometimes I feel like I'm playing one of those faux-MMO RPGs like .Hack except there are actually real people.  That probably sounds ridiculous...

I think it's definitely a grinder though.  I played for a few hours yesterday evening and didn't even make enough green sparks to buy a single node on my way to monk.  I'm sure it'd be different if I would focus on the proper content though.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Nobody has to like it, the point of this thread is try it out for yourself instead of taking some stranger's word for it.

Not sure why you are getting hassled like this on this thread.  If it means anything, You've inspired me to download the game and give it a shot.  Everything you've said makes me believe I might enjoy it.  If I don't, no problem. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So far I like it, it's ok.  I'm maxing out Necro, Archer, and Knight.  Already maxed out Cryo. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    The game feels like a cross between Tabula Rasa and SWTOR but in the worst possible way.BTW neither game had fun combat or fun class structures,just a connect the dots game that i have seen far too much of these days.

I thought i was the only one who thought this.  image

It's really no different than swtor.  The fleet in swtor is the main hub, and you travel to planets, much like how the observatory works in skyforge.  The similarities are quite striking to be honest.

the combat isnt as spammy, as SWTORs, but many other similarities

IMO , the combat  feels more like DCUO with a hint of TERA

so far, the CC isnt so much in your face, as certain other mmos

very good Graphics, interesting World..this may be a keeper

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by darkrain21
    Your an mmo purist? yet your enjoying it for what it is? A glorified Facebook game with some instance grinding? My post about dont bother was based off 30 hours in game. And while I said dont bother it wasnt to keep people from it. It was to give them a heads up as to the restrictions and maybe save them some time and bandwidth of downloading it. I never once thot my post was going to deter everyone from it. But I know there are like minded people out there that might appriciate a heads up on a game that doesnt allow you to play the way you want to play it.

Save bandwidth? Really? If my connection offers unlimited bandwidth what exactly am I saving? And 10gb take like 20 min to download on an average internet connection.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I only did the tutorial part and the first pve mission and it was painfully generic, but i didnt play more because my PC finally died on me. Im saving to build a new one from scratch so right now im limited to playing on my PS4.

Will give it a fair chance in the future because i like the visuals, the character models, the classes and the combat.

By the way, does it support gamepad? having limited skill buttons and a reticle is perfect for a gamepad for me. I just need a new PC :p

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Sargeras77

I agree with OP on this one.  While not typically my kind of game I decided to give Skyforge a shot.  I wasn't expecting to try the game for more than an hour as it didn't sound like my cup of tea.  However I ended up loving it and highly recommend you give it a shot and just remember this isn't supposed to a traditional mmo. (more like warframe/destiny.)

I would like to add that It probably shouldn't be your only game/mmo as it is best in bite sized chunks spread throughout the week.

And never mind this game.  Try any F2P game, if there is no cost.   You might find a gem you never thought you would like.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain.  That is part of the appeal of F2P. 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I should make note that it does cost your time,something you will find more relevant when you get older :(.

Like any game we have to spend a bit of time trying the game out to get a grasp for it.That is time we will never have back.Luckily i have enough gaming experience i can tell if a game is any good within the first hour or two.

I usually have a distinct criteria i am looking for before i even enter a game,the problem is with reading websites and reviews they are ALWAYS tainted with bull to sell the product and not give you the real inside stuff we want to know.

I NEVER want to hear the selling point because i want that to be a surprise,it is exciting that way, all i want to know from reviews and websites are the bad points,then i will know if i should not waste my time even trying the game.

There are literally THOUSANDS of games out there to try,add up that x2-4 hours and that is a LOT of wasted time if they all suck.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I should make note that it does cost your time,something you will find more relevant when you get older :(.

Like any game we have to spend a bit of time trying the game out to get a grasp for it.That is time we will never have back.Luckily i have enough gaming experience i can tell if a game is any good within the first hour or two.

I usually have a distinct criteria i am looking for before i even enter a game,the problem is with reading websites and reviews they are ALWAYS tainted with bull to sell the product and not give you the real inside stuff we want to know.

I NEVER want to hear the selling point because i want that to be a surprise,it is exciting that way, all i want to know from reviews and websites are the bad points,then i will know if i should not waste my time even trying the game.

There are literally THOUSANDS of games out there to try,add up that x2-4 hours and that is a LOT of wasted time if they all suck.

Yeah, the game doesn't cost you money to try out but it does cost you your time.

HOwever, reading other people's reviews and discussion about whether a game is worth it or not also costs you time. Sometimes people spend so much time reading reviews, watching gameplays and reading other people's opinion that they have wasted their time anyway. They might have been better off actually trying the game rather than reading biased player reviews.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    LOL at Viper snapping at anybody who even has a slightly different opinion to him.  Pathetic.
    Originally posted by FuryV
    LOL at Viper snapping at anybody who even has a slightly different opinion to him.  Pathetic.

Have you not been reading these forums? The vast majority of posters here don't respect other people's point of views, there is rarely meaningful discussion, there's mostly lots of flame wars. People throw around words like kids, filthy casuals, unsophisticated computer users, ignorant carebears etc. Extra points if you can throw in the facebook game joke, you can show utter contempt for console and mobile players.

People praise a game? People flame them and often attack them personally.

People flame a game? People flame them and often attack them personally. 

What's so wierd about that :D The vast majority of the discussion is on the level of console flame wars. Aka garbage.

Originally posted by MisterZebub

Not trying it costs me nothing as well. From the game's own media as well as some reviews here I can see that this game isn't something I'm interested in. No amount of "Don't waste your time" nor "Try it you might like it" posts are going to sway me one way or the other if the game features themselves haven't piqued my interest.

the quest hub looks A LOT like coruscant

it has jiggle physics

it is another korean grinder with action combat

uninstalled after the second mission

end of message

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I know a lot of times the first 10 to 20 levels are basically an intro to the game, after that the dynamics often change.  The final third of the game can change a lot also.  That's why in some games I've never maxed my characters.  I've only enjoyed the start and middle game. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Originally posted by Octagon7711
    I know a lot of times the first 10 to 20 levels are basically an intro to the game, after that the dynamics often change.  The final third of the game can change a lot also.  That's why in some games I've never maxed my characters.  I've only enjoyed the start and middle game. 

yup, pacing is very important, specially in the first levels

this is the one thing , that blizzard nailed: hardcores can skip zones and get their challenge,

casuals can faceroll quests, practically til max level

this is the one thing, that all other mmos have failed to deliver

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Time is a precious commodity for some of us and that is why we take the time to read reviews / previews and opinions on games that don't cost any money up front.  The time it takes to make a decision about a game based on another's experience and point of view and play style is much quicker than downloading, installing and slogging through a few hours or more of what will more likely amount to gaming torture.  I don't do what people tell me to do, but I do have the intelligence to determine if their point of view would coincide with mine and save myself the time and effort in "Trying it for free.". 

You don't agree with their point of view, that's fine, put forth your own argument, point of view and play style and convince me and others to try it.  What I don't appreciate is people like you trying to silence others for your own agenda or pet peeve.  If someone likes to try despite what others say, they are not likely to check out reviews / rants / previews in the first place.

• Originally posted by Wizardry

As of a day ago it was NOT free,matter fo fact it carried a VERY high price tag if you wanted the two classes,The 20 pack got you nothing,the next pack got you one class and the highest which i think was 60 bucks got you two classes.How is it just to pay 60 bucks for a shallow game to get two classes?If i pay 60 bucks for a game,i EXPECT to get EVERY class and the entire game and i expect a TRIPLE  A game.

Luckily i only paid the 20 but even that low cost left me feeling unhappy as the game could not even hold my interest for 2 days ,it is that boring.The atlas is the biggest LOLit is a straight line,why even bother to pack ,should just give the abilities to the players automatically.

None the less you are correct OP,it is FREE now to try,go ahead try it,you might like it,i know i don't like it at all.

The game feels like a cross between Tabula Rasa and SWTOR but in the worst possible way.BTW neither game had fun combat or fun class structures,just a connect the dots game that i have seen far too much of these days.

While somewhat linear the Atlas does offer some choices (It uses a grid, kinda like Path of Exile, for advancement). And you don't have to spend a dime to get any of the classes unless you want to as they're all available on the atlas.

If you're seriously that unhappy, have you tried asking for a refund?