Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Chronicles of Elyria: Soulbound Studios Wants to Bring Meaning Back to MMO Life

12346»

Comments

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Originally posted by Stuka1000

He lost me at player skill.  All this action combat stuff these days that are based around the players twitch skills have taken the rpg out of mmorpg.  Now we are left with generic mmo #1542 and on.  Put the rpg back and make the games as they should be, as they used to be.  Player skill should be in how the character is developed not in how fast you can mash keys.

Not that any of that matters of course.  I have lost count of how many budding mmo's have started out with a fantastic list of features only for them to drop from the tree one by one until another badly implemented themepark is all that's left to die a quick death a couple of months after release if not sooner.

I'm confused how it takes the RPG out of MMORPG to have them more action oriented. On baser principals ALL video games are RPG games the literal meaning is Role playing game and you are often playing the role of someone else so you are in essence playing a role playing game. That said and to bring up a point here just because you feel that the more ARPG (diablo like) / DND approach (which still exists in the twitch based games as there is still dice rolls for a hit etc) is somehow the only method of doing any sort of RPG means your overall outlook on the concept is a little "screwed up" in and of itself. To say it takes the RPG out of MMORPG is a misnomer utterly and completely.

The elements that make up an RPG are not somehow ruined by a different combat mechanic being in place. I don't see how you can even argue the fact that combat mechanics change what a game is as there is more than one way to do these things. What has ruined the RP elements of the mmorpg games is quite literally an insistence on purely linear pathing and pure themepark based games most of the time. Sandbox doesn't work on it's own either though. I think the best solution to some of the issues is a well done mix of the two types of mmorpgs that are often seen. And most games when developed those features were always going the themepark route they didn't tout "Ohh hey full sandbox and stuff"

It's also down to making money for these companies. A full sandbox will likely hurt them more financially than going p2p at first with a box price and then going f2p down the line. Realistically we as gamers need to mature and the like beyond anything else, we need to stop pandering to the lowest common denominator and make thingsthat are entrhalling that will keep people going for years. Frankly there is many ways to do something but a mix done a good way is the only real solution to many of these problems. 

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165
    It sounds like the core survival component is lifted right out of some of those zombie apocalypse survival games. In those you run around the wilderness gathering supplies and building stuff, but it ends up with people ganking you left and right. The difference is they are promising some semblance of order in their world as opposed to utter anarchy. 
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    What a really interesting bunch of ideas, one to watch of for. Let's hope they can deliver in a decent time frame and that they target a reasonable sized audiance, I.e don't make the mistake of trying to broaden the functionality appeal to 1 million plus audiances.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

I stepped away when I read that my (!) char dies of age even if he had no life due to me having barely and only infrequently time to play besides real life realities.

That and the "rent a room" stuff, aka whatever I have (I love being a crafter, farmer or such) is gone when I have time to play again likely. No, finding it packed up in my mailbox isn't sufficient, I want to stop-resume MY char life and not be shackled to required chores or such of a virtual, independent entity.

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• SouzouMiguelSouzouMiguel Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Rasputin

One problem with perma-death and PvP is, that people will behave like cowards. They will snipe at others, avoiding open combat, they will run in face of the slightest danger, they will move in big groups for security.

I don't know the details, but if you will perma-die from losing, it will put a severe hamper on PvP.

Sort of like real life war maybe, and not a team sport activity?

Essentially, yeah :) Like war. 

-Miguel
    Chronicles of Elyria Community Manager

Originally posted by DixonHill

Sounds very interesting, like my dreamgame lol. I alos like the fact, that this startup seems to have people running it, who actually know how to make a game. Also the fact, that the dude put his own money into it.

Now...there is a problem. Everything that can be exploited, will be exploited. Usually by a small number of players, who do everything in their power to play against the game, but large enough to force the devs to make compromises, tighten game rules, and well, take a bit of sand out of the box.

Thanks a lot. Our goal is to make the game that we wished had been around, and so our approach is player oriented all the way. 

-Miguel

• BlackdefBlackdef Member UncommonPosts: 55

How about the element of human conflict? Can i rob someone? can i kill them? 

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    This sounds cool, can't wait to try it out.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    Originally posted by Blackdef

How about the element of human conflict? Can i rob someone? can i kill them? 

Yes, you can do both those things. There is going to be a lot of human conflict in Chronicles of Elyria. Human conflict is going to generate drama, and that will lead to compelling experiences. 

If you rob or kill someone, there will be consequences. Maybe you rob someone important, and they decide they want to get even, and so they put out a contract for others to find and kill you. 

-Miguel