Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

Comments

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I mostly play war games like War Thunder now... used to play ESO but quit when they added xp potions that also add champion points(endgame progression system) making it blatantly pay to win...

I`d like some other wowlike mmo to keep be busy but i`ll stay with single player games and mmo-ish war games until then i guess.

• KaledrenKaledren Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Personally keeping my eye on Pantheon and No Man's Sky. Although they claim NMS will not be an MMO per say.
  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by tixylix
    The genre is dead, there is nothing.... for the first time there is genuinely nothing. 

At least there's single player games like Skyrim now to show them how to do it.

• JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Picked up SWTOR again and excited about the expansion coming out.

Still keeping an eye on EVE-Online but can't really commit to that game like I used to so doubt I'll return. EVE-Online is more fun 99% of the time, not playing and just watching it unfold anyway. The other 1% is when stuff like 6DVT / B-R5 happens, once a year (ish).

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

ive been thinkng about it and ive come to the conclusion mmorpgs dying out  or rather the lack of decent mmorpgs for the foreseeable future may actually be a good thing..let me explain

maybe mmorpgs need to die out so that real devs , those not influenced by greed and big corperations breathing down there necks to make them riddiculous amounts of money can go back to their roots and make a game that willblow these stupid games like skyforge  etc into the wind, much like the pheonix mmorpgs need to die and be reborn in order to get back to what mmorpgs were 10-15 years ago we need these 1 month tourists to get bored and  hopefully never return so that mmos can be for the players that they were originally intended for , these games were meant to be somethign to invest in, a game where players with similiuar interests games together.

maybe i have too much nostalgia for the old times and just need to move on but i can still hope cant i lol?

• Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229

Let's get this straight the genre of MMORPG's is not dead.  The genre is just not what you and many others want it to be.  Which honestly the only thing alot of you guys seem to want is like EQ 1 HD edition, or a remake of whatever 15-20 year old game that you played when you first learned what an MMORPG is.  I get it we all have our favorite games and nostalgia is really strong.

However where you guys lose me is that NOTHING will make you happy with MMORPG's at this point.  Every single game for ever will be 'meh' or you'll nit pick and tear apart any game that isn't EXACTLY what you want it to be.  Then on top of that you go the condescending old man on any one who enjoys anything newer than like 2005.  It's like nothing makes you happy so therefore anyone else who is happy is just some stupid kid.

I haven't consistantly played any one mmo in a long time, I can agree that the genre doesn't grab me like it did when I was younger.  Just at some point if nothing makes you excited w/ MMORPG's any more, and the genre is dead to you then just go play something else.  It's easier for your sanity and everyone else's.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    well i disagree with you i think your upset they are not listening to you and what you want  there is a lot going on  but your set in your weys and i think your the one that plays for one month and then moves on waaa quit crying kid
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

Op, I can agree with you for sure; but listen (or read) to what I have to say.

MMORPG's or MMO's are technically suppose to be a long term thing, a commitment of the player to live and play in a world.  Sure the future of MMO's don't look so hot and there is nothing to honestly look forward to, but I've noticed a trend with people around here.  Everyone is always looking for the next best thing to play and most people never seem happy with anything.  Take a look back at all the great MMO's that we've played or that are still around to play.  Instead of being upset with a lack of a future of new releases, go back to some older MMO's and begin an adventure in one of those.

There are so many great games on the market currently that you could lose yourself in until the next 'big' thing comes out.  People tend to play these MMO's like single player games, log in a couple of dozen hour to a hundred hours and call it a day.  Find something, stick with it, and continue with it.

And this goes to the majority of other players in this forum that are in the redundant cycle of playing a game and quitting.  It is quite possible that you've maybe even out grown the genre.  

Anyway, go back a couple of years or ten years and see what games are out there to play.  I can think of quite a few games that are still great to this day.  Graphics also don't mean anything, art style goes a long way.  Some of the best MMORPG's in the market are not industry defying.  Remember when Age of Conan released and how advanced it was in terms of graphics?  Now go look at it.  It looks so dated.  Compare it to a game like World of Warcraft which has a strong style and art direction and even WoW has aged well.

Hope this helps someone at least.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Best we can do is vote with our wallets and in meantime hope someone out there is willing to invest his $ and deliver a game we are willing to spend $ on, it's that simple.

Look at it this way, if you happened to end up being in the cavemen era where most are enjoying dancing around the fire and hunting for entertainment, then you either have to find your own hobby or learn to enjoy theirs. Video games for me died almost 5 years ago since that's the time I remember spending $ on a new product.

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    i agree with every post in this thread and i agree even with people that say "its not teh genre its me" i think its quite possible ive grown out of them or maybe just see them now for what they truly are..im kind of a mmorpg addict in alot of ways and i cant get that good shit from years ago that used to do the job 10x better, all the latest games just seem like a quick fix. i am still playing tera though, and i only just quit wow 2 weeks ago after having a sub since 2005 ive tried every mmo thats come out and probally only 10% of those i have enjoyed, so its completely possible its just me :D
  • whitefire123whitefire123 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I can agree with you that most mmorpgs just seem to easy and have no real risk to them. I am hoping that chronicles of elyria will be able to pull off what they are trying to do but its a wait and see for me on that.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

There are a ton of MMO's to play for the "modern" gamer.  But your right there is nothing new to play for someone that prefers early style MMO's, that's actually finished anyway.

People made fun of games like Vangaurd because of the funky models and bugs, but you are hard pressed to find a game with better combat skills, class diversity, and shear game world size.  Played the game for years and there were still places, quests and things to experience.  That game was massive.  There were dungeons you never really finished you just got as far as you could.

People that didn't like it never played it long enough to understand how complex and big the world and systems were, for the majority of people it performed poorly looked odd, and was full of frustrating bugs, so they quit almost immediately, preventing most gamers from even playing arguably the largest and most complex MMO ever made.

The amount of content was staggering, all in one persistent none instanced seemless world.  I think only APW was instanced. 

We will never see a game as large and diverse as say Vangaurd,   We can just hope for smaller more modern versions of those types of games.  But I have yet to see one.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by goboygo

There are a ton of MMO's to play for the "modern" gamer.  But your right there is nothing new to play for someone that prefers early style MMO's, that's actually finished anyway.

People made fun of games like Vangaurd because of the funky models and bugs, but you are hard pressed to find a game with better combat skills, class diversity, and shear game world size.  Played the game for years and there were still places, quests and things to experience.  That game was massive.  There were dungeons you never really finished you just got as far as you could.

People that didn't like it never played it long enough to understand how complex and big the world and systems were, for the majority of people it performed poorly looked odd, and was full of frustrating bugs, so they quit almost immediately, preventing most gamers from even playing arguably the largest and most complex MMO ever made.

The amount of content was staggering, all in one persistent none instanced seemless world.  I think only APW was instanced. 

We will never see a game as large and diverse as say Vangaurd,   We can just hope for smaller more modern versions of those types of games.  But I have yet to see one.

I agree with you . 

I tried Vanguard maybe a year before sunset, and while I liked much about what the game was, the actual presentation of it was too bugged, "clunky" for sure, and agreed, it did look "odd".

I knew there was a lot there to love but it just did not work for those reasons.  Too frustrating to make it worth the time to figure out.   A shame really.

And I believe you are right, it will be a long time before we see anything this ambitious again.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I tried vanguard several times and yes there was a lot of content bit for me it just wasn't fun. Nothing was great every system just reached a point of good enough.

And it wasn't seamless. There were chunk lines where the game would pause and load up the next area.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Xion1985

Let's get this straight the genre of MMORPG's is not dead.  The genre is just not what you and many others want it to be.  Which honestly the only thing alot of you guys seem to want is like EQ 1 HD edition, or a remake of whatever 15-20 year old game that you played when you first learned what an MMORPG is.  I get it we all have our favorite games and nostalgia is really strong.

However where you guys lose me is that NOTHING will make you happy with MMORPG's at this point.  Every single game for ever will be 'meh' or you'll nit pick and tear apart any game that isn't EXACTLY what you want it to be.  Then on top of that you go the condescending old man on any one who enjoys anything newer than like 2005.  It's like nothing makes you happy so therefore anyone else who is happy is just some stupid kid.

I haven't consistantly played any one mmo in a long time, I can agree that the genre doesn't grab me like it did when I was younger.  Just at some point if nothing makes you excited w/ MMORPG's any more, and the genre is dead to you then just go play something else.  It's easier for your sanity and everyone else's.

Ok, really getting tired of this insane accusation.

We do NOT NOT NOT want it to be like EQ1. We want what was promised to us when the genre came out. Real fleshed out worlds. In depth Crafting. Great Housing. We don't want zoning into every area because it's extremely immersion breaking. And we want to be everything under the sun including a proper musician, or a house builder, or a real carpenter. EQ1 didn't offer those things. Mind you, what it did offer was a reason to group together and talk to other players and a seriously gigantic world to explore, something that modern MMO's DON'T. Of course, modern MMO's also don't offer anything else of what I listed either. 

We want the next step in games, not to take two steps back. We want Next Gen, like we were promised. But not a single game released in the last ten years offers us Next Gen and hasn't. 

So stop accusing us all of wanting to go back in time. We want things to get better, not to be so easy anyone can do them completely alone, and not to be so hard that they can only be done by grouping, and so that they ONLY offer theme park MMO's until you hit the end where you raid for endless hours and pvp where you do nothing but beat on each other for endless hours (which is usually like just beating on npc's with some occasional chatter that you can respond to unless they become harassing). 

I blame WoW and LOTRO for all this. Before LOTRO the them park game was never heard of just like before WoW, we didn't have baby friendly MMO's.

Previous games that were much loved by the community did things right. And we repeatedly mention them over and over and over again. They didn't have everything but they were better than they are now. For gods sakes, SWG had entertainer classes so varied that it allowed you to created whole cantina bands with other players, and whole classes devoted to building and maintaining housing and the items in it. Have you ever seen another game offer alternative classes than the ones that beat the crap out of others? Why would they remove these from the GENRE completely when they were so loved by the players? The answer is that the devs and publishers are just looking for a quick buck. We have less offered to us now than we did during EQ1, EQ2, and SWG and we are told that we should just shut up and be happy. Well I'm not going to shut up and I'm not happy. The genre is slowly being destroyed due to greed for money. 

What the devs and publishers don't get is that the genre is already suffering for their greed and it will only get worse. 

So how about YOU stop making excuses and blaming us for wanting to make the genre better instead of us asking for more and YOU start doing the same thing? Facebook is only to pass the time when you are bored, it is NOT the way the whole game industry should go. In every other industry, they try to advance things and make things better. In THIS industry, we are told to live with what we have and be happy be have it. 

You only want yo make it better for you and people like you. Millions of people like the games the waythey are now.

And no one promised you anything.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Originally posted by minideed
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Blade and Soul and Black Desert, also Lineage Eternal and Lost Ark are not far away.

No thanks. B&S is dull, Black Desert will go the same route as ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal is just an L1 sequel Diablo-like wannabe and Lost Ark is another Diablo online wannabe.

As the OS has stated, there are no good MMO's in the near or distant future. Only thing current MMO's offer is P2W cast shops.

Any decent MMO's coming up that are not Farmville or top-down isometric based?

What is dull about Blade and Soul? Please tell me exactly.  Oh you must be a prophet, please tell me more, seriously...maybe, maybe not, you cant say that yet. LE and LA are both open world MMOs, so they are NOT Diablo clones.

I think you have actually discovered the most annoying way to respond to another's specific points in a post here on mmorpg.com lol

Not debating the content, but, boy....

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    You only want yo make it better for you and people like you. Millions of people like the games the waythey are now.

And no one promised you anything.

How old are you exactly? Were you even alive when the genre began? Yes, we were promised that. And no, we want to make things better for everyone, not just the Facebook group. Nice try though, blaming us for everything and telling us to constantly shut up because you don't like what we have to say. 

Also bravo... nice job at deflection. You didn't want to address anything else that I said so you ignored it and pointed out the least important part. Very nice job. You'd make a good politician. Ignore and deflect. 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by delete5230

Cash shops killed the market

I hate cash shops, but I'm not sure that this is true.

If anything, cash shops were an artificial life support for an overly conservative and increasingly unfashionable genre. The smoke and mirrors of 'f2p' kept it all trundling along for longer than it probably should have, and still does tbh.

The player fatigue among the non MMORPG hardcore nerds (the wider general public) would have only hit sooner without the big trick.

Everything comes into fashion, and everything goes out. What was considered awesome once by the great hive mind is no longer so and the mass moves on to the next awesome thing, for as long as that lasts. It'll come around again.

I'm 39 and yes i was around. And no you weren't promised.
    And no you wouldn't make things better for everyone because again many did not like the old games and many do like these ones.

So once again you are only making it better for people who like the type if game you are advocating for.
    Nothing else you said was worth discussing. You described the type if game you like. I'm not going to argue with your preferences.

Wow, nothing you just said is true. That's quite amazing. I've never seen anyone so out of touch. And apparently not knowing how to use forums either that you had to make three separate posts. And that you actually think whats being offered now is a good thing. That's incredible. 

Yes, yes we were. Its called google. I suggest you use it. You can see ad's from the past online. 

There is a reason why so many people are angry, and no its not just a few complaining on here honey. And it's not even a few thousand. It's millions. Just like you like to say that its millions that are happy with the way things are going. You bet they are happy... they are also the same people who spend hours playing facebook games. 

I'm on my phone. You can't edit posts from the phone.

I didn't say what is being offered is a good thing. I didn't say it wad a bad thing. I said many people didn't like old ones and many people fo like new ones. Therefore asking for what you advocate for would not make everyone happy, only the people who like what you are advocating for.

And no you weren't promised anything. Not even in any particular game ad the eula clearly shows.

They offered you a game. That's it. They started the game may change. They expressed their hopes and desires for what the future might hold.

But no you were not promised anything. That is just your assumption.

Yes many are angry. Yes many are happy. Welcome to the world.

edit - now I'm on my pc.  And I didn't blame you for anything, or tell you to shut up or anything like that.

edit - and I'm pretty sure almost everything I stated is true:

I am 39 (turn 40 in December) - at least according to my birth certificate.  I was around way back in 1997. Many do like the games you advocate for, many people don't.  Therefore the genre heading in that direction would not make everyone happy.  You did discuss the direction you would like to see - admittedly this part may not be true and just what I perceive from your posts.

edit - sheesh a lot of edit.  I will say that I generally agree with the thread title. I'm not really excited about anything in the mmo genre right now.  That however doesn't mean they are bad, it just means they don't appeal to my particular tastes, at least not anymore. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

As venge said above, nothing was 'promised'  this is the convenient imaginary justification of the self entitled.  There are superb mmorpg titles that have been released in the last couple years that blow away anything made 10-15 years ago, there are also bad titles.  You pay your money and you make a choice. 

If you don't like any new titles that have been released in the last years then there are 2 possible reasons:

1) All the millions of people that enjoy the new games are deluded and the quality of titles stopped evolving immediately after your [put favourite title here] was released.  Which is ofc a nonsense.

or  

2) you have outgrown the genre and you are in denial.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D