Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPGS to get excited about for the foreseeable future

rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

It really seems that mmorpgs are dying to me

I havent gone this long without being hyped for one mmorpg or another for so long, seems to me devs aint listening to what long term players and cater to the play 1 month and move on players.

All the games coming up crowfall, camelot unchained to name a couple just seem meh and everquest next well if that actually gets made i cant see it being any good, Its like they have no idea what players want :S

Nope i really think this is it for now, maybe between 2018-2020 some good mmorpgs will get made using oculus rift or something  which might be pretty cool seems like a long time  to wait:(

I want a mmo to keep me interested like wow did back in vannila through to tbc , but that doesnt seem like its possible anymore.

JeffSpicoliUngoodPrecusor

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Cash shops killed the market

GilcroixRhygarthPrecusor
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Blade and Soul and Black Desert, also Lineage Eternal and Lost Ark are not far away.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Daikuru
    Blade and Soul and Black Desert, also Lineage Eternal and Lost Ark are not far away.

*yawn*

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• minideedminideed Member UncommonPosts: 32

No thanks. B&S is dull, Black Desert will go the same route as ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal is just an L1 sequel Diablo-like wannabe and Lost Ark is another Diablo online wannabe.

As the OS has stated, there are no good MMO's in the near or distant future. Only thing current MMO's offer is P2W cast shops.

Any decent MMO's coming up that are not Farmville or top-down isometric based?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by minideed

No thanks. B&S is dull, Black Desert will go the same route as ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal is just an L1 sequel Diablo-like wannabe and Lost Ark is another Diablo online wannabe.

As the OS has stated, there are no good MMO's in the near or distant future. Only thing current MMO's offer is P2W cast shops.

Guess it's time for you to throw in the towel then.I play more single player rpgs than mmos.I will agree it's looking pretty dismal in NA/EU where mmo are concerned.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Looking forward to them all. People who already dismiss games that have not even released don't deserve anything to play.image

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    wh40k and camelot unchained.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Originally posted by minideed

What is dull about Blade and Soul? Please tell me exactly.  Oh you must be a prophet, please tell me more, seriously...maybe, maybe not, you cant say that yet. LE and LA are both open world MMOs, so they are NOT Diablo clones.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Mikeha

Looking forward to them all. People who already dismiss games that have not even released don't deserve anything to play.image

My thoughts exactly!

- Albert Einstein

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

I understand and am sympathetic to your opinion, Rush.

However, we all have read this thread before from various others on this forum. The feeling that mmorpgs are "dying" is of course quite a subjective feeling. I for one am hoping that in the next five years we'll begin seeing a change in philosophy. What that will be, I can't surmise. I still have faith in those young game makers and "dreamers". There is still quite a bit of creativity yet to be tapped. I have read a few truly wonderful ideas here on this forum.

Keepin' the faith...

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it looks great if you're into asian fantasy games.. if you're not it looks kind of weaksauce atm too much focus on fantasy overall for my taste. one might argue that fantasy has the biggest audience but i highly doubt it's big enough for all of these games.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I went back to my old favorites. Cleaned out my PC of all the hyped up junk mmo's. Probably should stop coming to sites like this too. Getting hyped up for what turns out to be just bad games Skyforge being the last one. That game really opened my eyes that being sucked by hype for bad games is all sites like this do sometimes. The MMO players that love what they play don't come to sites like this.
  • Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Project Gorgon? It's got my intense interest right now and I haven't found a good an MMO (though I've tried a huuuge amount) since DAoC pre-ToA.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Crowfall looks like a lot of fun.  I'm not thrilled about some design choices, but it's a complete break from the norm.  I'm also a PVP junkie so this will fit well into my evenings.

The Repopulation is high on my expectation meter.  Mostly because I'm more drawn to skill based character progression than level/class design.  I'm excited to start building the character that I want to play in this game.

Eternal Crusade could end up being the game that rules them all for me.  I've been playing tabletop Warhammer 40k since 1989, and I've owned or played all the 40k games since then.  I can't wait to play a Space Wolf, Howling Banshee or Ork Stormboy.  The only thing that might kill this is the pricing model.  Games Workshop are highly adept at overpricing anything they get their hands on, and they could easily overprice this to the point that I'm not interested in playing.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

That's a pity for you because a lot of us who come to this site enjoy the games that are out and coming and are playing them. It is not all doom and gloom and if you cannot find anything you enjoy then there are single player games like Witcher 3 which I liked too but the witcher senses were giving me a bad headache like an FPS usually does so I dropped it. I am playing Skyforge for now. 

I know many people find the current choice of games bad but if that is the case  and you feel this site is responsible for hyping  the games and making you disappointed however there are those of us that enjoy the games that are promoted so perhaps your decision not to come here is a good one. It will reduce the negativity often piled on the things those of us who enjoy these games have to deal with. Not trying to chase you away just making an observation based on your own conclusion. Perhaps the genre has changed some since Everquest. I started playing from Everquest and I still enjoy MMORPGs and I am lucky I guess to have found the games I like.

Someone on another thread said I had no taste as an insult I suppose in his opinion but I am playing and enjoying myself while that person is on this forum whining about having nothing to play.  I guess for me having fun is way more important than some inflated idea that somehow the games people enjoy now are inferior. If that is the attitude one cannot argue with that as people tend to always hold fast to their prejudices. Me I like something I embrace it, pay subscriptions and have fun. I always support what I play.

I play Skyforge in spite of the fact that I am quite old and my reflexes are really bad and recently been dying a lot to some bosses.....sigh wish I had my son's reflexes but these games challenge me and my poor ,slow hands. I am so pleased when I win that in itself is grand. I feel so elated when after dying 5 times I finally make it... it's like a nice 'high'.

Sincerely hope you find what you're looking for lately to be honest there have been far too many of these threads and it could be a change has come in this genre and even if it has been stressed that it is a bad change it is a change and if you cannot adapt may be it is time to leave it. Come back when something else catches your eye. 

Also pointing out that there are many of these threads means something is wrong is not true really. When I played Everquest hardly anyone posted their dissatisfaction about the genre or where it was heading and so on and so forth.We have become a generation of pontificators and have become so enamoured with the arguments,reasoning and counterpoints that we have forgotten the very basic idea of playing games for fun. That more than anything else is the reason we see so many of these threads and the actual relevance in them has not increased. That's my opinion anyway.

First and foremost one should have fun otherwise there is no reason to play.

Chamber of Chains
  • whiteoak21whiteoak21 Member Posts: 16

maybe you should look for Tree of Savior its like the successor of Ragnarok online

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Two games that in my list atm, tree of savior and the division. Though in respect to The Division, it is more like Destiny, we'll see how it goes.

If these two somewhat fails, I'll stick to SP games then, Fallout 4, MGS:PP to name a few.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by whiteoak21

maybe you should look for Tree of Savior its like the successor of Ragnarok online

Ragnarok was the most boring asian grinder ever, whytf would we want a successor?

Blade and Soul? Puuuuulease. It's just another asian button spammer with too few races, yet again. 1 month wonder anyone?

Pantheon, EQNext, Project Gorgon and Star Citizen could all be vaporware.

Anyone that's played Camelot Unchained knows it is nowhere near as good as DAoC.

Skyforge is just a worse Tera

Looks like a pretty bleak future to me.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

2015 will likely be a bad year for MMOs. Nothing good came out this year.

Skyforge was pretty much a heavily instanced based game. I don't feel we should even call these kinds of games MMO since there is a lack of a 'massive' element. 

Blade and Soul could be fun for a short while like Tera was, but it could also slip to 2016. 

Tree of Savior - I don't really play many games with this style but I'm so desperate I may have to try it when it comes out. 

As for 2016 there should be a fair few MMOs coming out. I'm a founder for Eternal Crusade, so I will be playing the founders access at the minimum. 

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I'm looking forward to all of these..  If these aren't enough, then go outside for a walk, smell a flower, climb a mountain.. MMOs are no longer for you.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

I currently follow tree of savior , not best but at lest better than most of under develop MMORPGs

The next international beta test is near and it will show if things is good or bad.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

It's because the devs have decided to take what they have learned from Facebook games to be the way things should be done instead of learning from wonderful games like Skyrim, The Witcher series and the Mass Effect Series while also completely ignoring anything the players actually say they want while showing us shiny new gimmicks and figuring we would be happy.

Almost every single MMO out there are exactly the same as all the others witch a couple of gimmicks, the graphics and the story as the difference. In modern MMO's, you don't care what happens to the worlds because you are living on them not in them. It's gotten so bad that in GW2, you don't even need to talk to npc's to get quests, never mind other players. They have eliminated anything resembling good crafting and good housing in favor of things that are quick and easy to do while they add new raiding zones and call them new content. Players tell them repeatedly what they really want in gaming but they are ignored for the quick buck.

Devs have actually started complaining about how it's becoming difficult to wow people with graphics. Well gee, that would be because game play is a much bigger deal than graphics. 

I'd like to address the issue with EQ Next. The announced it too soon and have barely told us any information about the actual game with all indications that the release being possibly years away while they try to drain us of money in advance. Landmark is a disappointment and its usability can't even remotely compare to EQ2, especially since they have a MASSIVE online market place where you have to pay real money to buy items.

I don't trust a thing the devs say anymore because they are all lies. It will just be more of the same. 

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    2015 is surely the lowest point in years, however Camelot Unchained and Crowfall are our best hopes. If done right, the sandbox subgenre may finally have champions of its own and other games may follow their success.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Games such as Camelot Unchained, Lost Ark and maybe Lineage eternal is what i'm betting on currently. Most games are currently focused on incentives for their cash shop spending, which i'll be avoiding at all times. Hell, even games outside of the MMO space has been infected by this sort of thing.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    The genre is dead, there is nothing.... for the first time there is genuinely nothing.