Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: First Beta Weekend Scheduled for August 7th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has announced that the first public beta will kick off on Friday, August 7th beginning at 12:00 pm Pacific / 3:00 pm Eastern and will run through 12:00 pm Pacific / 3:00 pm Eastern on Monday, August 10th. Players who have preordered the Heart of Thorns expansion will be eligible for the event and will have access to all forthcoming beta weekends until HoT launches.

All progress will be saved during the first test and will carried into future beta events to give players an idea of how character progression and new abilities work in the expansion.

In this first test, players will have a chance to experience the first story instances in the expansion’s new area, the Heart of Maguuma Jungle, as well as playtest the revenant, an all-new profession with attacks and abilities that draw their powers from legends of Guild Wars lore. They will be among the first to try out the new elite specializations that introduce new weapons and skills for each profession in the game. They also get to test the new masteries system, a new endgame progression system that replaces linear leveling and gives players choices in the new skills, abilities and rewards they pursue.

In addition, attendees at next week's Gamescom will be able to try out a demo of a portion of the beta client beginning on Wednesday, August 5th and continuing throughout the convention's end on August 9th.

You can find out more about this exciting news on the Guild Wars 2 site (If the link is not yet live, keep trying! It will be!).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 354
    I suppose that's a good indicator that we are aiming for a release in about 3 months, if the GW2 timetable (BWE1-3) is any indicator.
  • ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

after the last patch (23rd of june) i went from a gw2 fanboy to 'i couldn't care less bout gw2'.

it seems anet is just uberincompetent at balancing.

plus their lack of communication is absolutely irritating.

they can keep their hot.

• Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Info on their site is a lot more substantial.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

almost wish i pre purchased a few days ago when hot was on sale =/

sombody better stream me some reaper action :P

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I like the part about"we can only show you a little bit". Lmao. Way to hide your product that you don't have!
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255

When you consider graphics, cracking down on cheating/botting, gameplay, a rich world, encouraging teamwork (what people here complain about constantly regarding modern mmos)....Guild Wars 2 is the premier mmo of its day.   

Removing stats from the trait lines was a GREAT idea that leads to more builds being viable.  The new trees are much better imo for the classes that I play as well.

Sure, the game isn't perfect, but its a lot closer than others that I've played.  Ohh not to mention the best modern revenue model with an unobtrusive cash shop.

I'm looking forward to HoT mainly because of the new specializations and the improved AI.   

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Thupli
    I like the part about"we can only show you a little bit". Lmao. Way to hide your product that you don't have!

Actually it is part of their gaming expos,they want to have something new to show for that.There is no such thing as BETA anymore,most realize that they are only a pre-order gimmick.So release day either pertains to the day they figure they have the last content finished or they have a distinct day that follows up after their advertising gaming expos.

Also if you TRULY were passionate about your product and "testing it" ALL your players should have access to it.That is why developers sometimes do and should be running TEST servers.There is no need for labeling it as a BETA phase lol,simply allows them to advertise for gaming expos and offers a bonus to pre-orders.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Up to when can you pre order heart of thorns? I had my defective master card recently replaced, and the new one would be released on Tuesday.. :-(

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• MorlewenMorlewen Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by Dookz
    Up to when can you pre order heart of thorns? I had my defective master card recently replaced, and the new one would be released on Tuesday.. :-(

You can pre-purchase until the last day before the official release day.