Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: John Smedley Steps Down as CEO of Daybreak Game Company

1235»

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

If you say so. Funny CN a huge investment firm that knows how to make money, left him in charge. When Smed stepped down, his best friend Russ who started this all with him is now the CEO. I dont see CN pushing someone in charge they want. My guess there are good reasons why. Of corse for you that means more gloom and doom calling as thats all you ever do on these forums. I have gone through your history and you dont talk positive about any games. Thats why your rep here is what it is. EQN could release this week and have 3 mill sales and active subs and you would find a way to spin it as bad. Why are you on these forums? Do you even like any MMOs? If you do why dont you ever talk about them? 

CN has put Russ in charge temporarily, but maybe he would be a great CEO.  Who knows?  What does that have to do with anything?  Are you really suggesting they fired Smed as CEO and replaced him with a friend, because Smed is a great leader?  You are making no sense. 

It is very common for a CEO to stay on for a short term as part of an acquisition.  That doesn't mean Columbus Nova thought Smed was doing a good job.  Firing him as CEO however means they didn't think he was. 

One view is common sense, the other is trying to put lipstick on a pig. 

Also, can you not try to make this into a personal argument like you always seem to do with people that you disagree with? 

If I tell you that I do enjoy MMO's and that I post on their respective official forums instead of here, will you stay on topic and not resort to personal attacks? 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Daffid011

If you say so. Funny CN a huge investment firm that knows how to make money, left him in charge. When Smed stepped down, his best friend Russ who started this all with him is now the CEO. I dont see CN pushing someone in charge they want. My guess there are good reasons why. Of corse for you that means more gloom and doom calling as thats all you ever do on these forums. I have gone through your history and you dont talk positive about any games. Thats why your rep here is what it is. EQN could release this week and have 3 mill sales and active subs and you would find a way to spin it as bad. Why are you on these forums? Do you even like any MMOs? If you do why dont you ever talk about them? 

CN has put Russ in charge temporarily, but maybe he would be a great CEO.  Who knows?  What does that have to do with anything?  Are you really suggesting they fired Smed as CEO and replaced him with a friend, because Smed is a great leader?  You are making no sense. 

It is very common for a CEO to stay on for a short term as part of an acquisition.  That doesn't mean Columbus Nova thought Smed was doing a good job.  Firing him as CEO however means they didn't think he was. 

One view is common sense, the other is trying to put lipstick on a pig. 

Also, can you not try to make this into a personal argument like you always seem to do with people that you disagree with? 

If I tell you that I do enjoy MMO's and that I post on their respective official forums instead of here, will you stay on topic and not resort to personal attacks? 

So what MMOs do you like? Asking you questions is not an attack, dont be that thin skinned. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by wgc01

Smeghead needs to get out of gaming all together, he has the touch or death anything he is around and the reason I never bothered with another Sony title.

He looks a little like Al Bundy, maybe selling shoes would be better  and safer for the world..LOL

Wearing bad shoes does more damage then playing a bad game ;)

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol some of you in your pathetic hate are not reading it properly. He hasn't left the company he has taken time off and a position will be made avaliable on his return. 

Get some rest John then come back fresh. 

John has been fired from his CEO position and his employers are seeking his replacement.  . 

If he returns, and that is a big if, just what demoted position do you think he is going to be allowed to occupy and how "fresh" do you think he is going to be not running the company he built?

If you were Columbus Nova, what value do you see in having John Smedly in charge of anything at your company?

Show me the link that says John got fired. Don't show me what we have already read and try to convince me that's what it means. 

And don't tell me that when someone steps down it's because they were fired or about to be fired.

Show me the link or write from DBG that they fired John.

I'll wait while you run along and fetch it.

Fair point, I am filling in some blanks that are supported by pretty much everything.

However, you are doing the same for John "stepping down".

No where does the "official" statement say he is stepping down, just "taking time off" and that he is being replaced. Oh, he might also return to the company in some undetermined future date for some undetermined role.

Maybe John just happened to take this exact time during a hot steaming mess his mouth created to step down and get refreshed for an awesome comeback.  Maybe he was fired as CEO due to the problems he created and the overall condition the company was in under his leadership.

I feel pretty confident that he was forced out and didn't decide to step down as you suspect.

You never answered the question about what new position you think Smed will take and what his new role would be. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Regardless of WHY or WHAT happened, Daybreak will move forward under a new CEO.  While many of us believe that it was Smed holding the company back, only time will tell. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Show me the link that says John got fired. Don't show me what we have already read and try to convince me that's what it means. 

And don't tell me that when someone steps down it's because they were fired or about to be fired.

I'm not saying he was fired but when do they honestly phrase news like this and call it "being fired"?  Very rarely do they say a CEO was "fired", they almost always say the CEO is "stepping down".  At this level people dont get fired, they negotiate their removal with stock options and PR phrasing so they can remain viable to move to other companies.  Look at the old HP CEO Carly Fiorina.  She was booed at employee functions and after leaving:

"CBS News,[17] USA Today[18] and Portfolio.com[78] have ranked Fiorina as one of the worst American (or tech) CEOs of all time."

Yet the press release says she "stepped down" and she was paid slightly more than $20 million in severance.  Realistically she was fired but at that level being fired is very different from what you and I know it to be.

Again I am not saying that Smed was fired but if he was, there would be little chance of finding a press release or any reputable media content that used the word "fired".

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

I'm not saying he was fired but when do they honestly phrase news like this and call it "being fired"?  Very rarely do they say a CEO was "fired", they almost always say the CEO is "stepping down".  At this level people dont get fired, they negotiate their removal with stock options and PR phrasing so they can remain viable to move to other companies.  Look at the old HP CEO Carly Fiorina.  She was booed at employee functions and after leaving:

"CBS News,[17] USA Today[18] and Portfolio.com[78] have ranked Fiorina as one of the worst American (or tech) CEOs of all time."

Yet the press release says she "stepped down" and she was paid slightly more than $20 million in severance.  Realistically she was fired but at that level being fired is very different from what you and I know it to be.

Again I am not saying that Smed was fired but if he was, there would be little chance of finding a press release or any reputable media content that used the word "fired".

I thought he was let go as well till I saw Russ took over. Smed and Russ have been like minded since they started this trek together. Only thing is Russ does not have that foot in mouth problem. He may have been the better option from the start but these two started out chums in High School. Removing one and not  the other? Well, I think Smeds active roll in DGC will be more then we think with Russ there. Unless they have had a falling out. 

So what MMOs do you like? Asking you questions is not an attack, dont be that thin skinned. 

Just keep it civil and on topic and we can all enjoy the discussion.

Saying I don't like MMOs, a bad rep and question why I even post here is baiting for a personal fight.  Lets not pretend you don't understand that ok? 

Lastly me enjoying game A or game B has no relevance on the topic, so why even ask.

Just keep it civil and on topic and we can all enjoy the discussion.

Saying I don't like MMOs, a bad rep and question why I even post here is baiting for a personal fight.  Lets not pretend you don't understand that ok? 

Lastly me enjoying game A or game B has no relevance on the topic, so why even ask.

The reason I ask is all you do is hate. You and a few others like Wizard up there do the same thing and I dont get it. Never seen you post even once you are excited for a release or expansion. I have been told many times not to engage you because you are a hate monger. So yes, pointing out a rep thats widely know on this forum is not baiting for a fight. So that leaves me asking, are you? I want to understand this person that hates every game he posts about, so to figure out if you are worth talking to any more I ask. What games do you like? What MMOs do you play? Because if you are just an MMO hater, I have no interest in replaying to you any more. If you are an MMO fan, then I do. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Regardless of WHY or WHAT happened, Daybreak will move forward under a new CEO.  While many of us believe that it was Smed holding the company back, only time will tell. 

Well, it does say enough that if someone mentions the JS name in a MMO environment, the general reaction is not enthousiastic. Not even speaking about the mmo fan community.

And people say 'even bad publicity is good publicity', I doubt that is the case in this matter when you have JS steering your train.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Well, it does say enough that if someone mentions the JS name in a MMO environment, the general reaction is not enthousiastic. Not even speaking about the mmo fan community.

And people say 'even bad publicity is good publicity', I doubt that is the case in this matter when you have JS steering your train.

Cant steer a train, just saying =-) As far as the rest of your post, do look at Smeds Twitter account, lots of gamers thanking him and supporting him. Never take hate posts as the majority even if thats what you see mostly. Most gamers never even post on forums. 

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Certainly everyone has an opinion and not everyone was a Smed fan.  I'm in the middle.  While I didn't always agree with him, I respected that he would engage a player base and communicate.  I'm not aware of a lot of others at the CEO level that bother (Gabe Newell does come to mind)

A few facts for people that want to nail him to a cross:

The hacker he has sparred with from Lizard Squad Julius Kivimaki was partially responsible for the bomb threat that forced a plane Smed was on to land in 2014.  Yes, people, that's a legitimate bomb threat to a commercial airline; a plane full of people. 

This piece of human garbage was convicted of more than 50,000 counts of computer-related crimes in Finland for which he received the crushing sentence of wait for it....a 2-year commuted sentence... Yep.. that's no time served.  So you can think what you want about Smed but can you deny his being pissed beyond belief? Should he have poked the bear?  Probably not but I certainly understand where he was coming from.  When Smed said he was "coming for him" I am guessing he meant in the legal (civil) sense.  I hope he sues the bejesus out of him.  Maybe Julius can spend the next few years shoveling coal or something equally rewarding until the civil judgement is paid.  It would be fitting.

Hackers and cyber criminals cost all of us billions (with a B) of dollars every year.  They are the bane of our hobby.  When they launch a denial of service attack against Daybreak, Sony, Steam, or your Bank account, they think it's funny.  It goes way beyond being a pain in our collective asses.  it costs a lot of money.  Ultimately, we pay for this to support the infrastructure needed to clean it up, prevent it, diagnose it and repair it.

If any of you are entertaining some romantic notion that Lizard Squad are anything other than tools dispel it now.

They first targeted female LOL players specifically and their families and engaged in numerous DDoS attacks.  (Probably because most of them have never met a woman and are afraid of them)

They went on to mess with the Destiny servers and a variety of other helpful activities  They have been linked to ISIS with messaging on a variety of sites apparently in support of the Islamic State.

Additionally, they feel the need to make claims about a lot of other things they were not really involved in.

Bottom line is they have caused a great deal of irritation and damage at a great financial cost apparently with little consequence.  That's what set Smedley off and in that, I agree with him.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• -Thraxor--Thraxor- Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Hope smed enjoys his fun and exciting NJE, aka New Job Enhancements, I'm sure he'll love it once he gives it a chance.....lulz...
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Muke

ALl it really says is people take changes to games far too seriously. As well as hold on to it far too long. That's where most if not all of this hate began.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

Well the man (JS) had alot of influence in the MMO world, Its going to be interesting to see the repercussions of his removal but I guess we will have to wait and see what the results are.

Personally I support his stepping down as he did have a hand in instigating the DDoS attack. anything that affects the companies bottom line is going to have consequences...

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• LFGroupLFGroup Member UncommonPosts: 36
    About time :D