Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A community created game - could it work

2»

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by sunandshadow
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

The reality is you would have 50 idea guies, 1-2  s1acker programmers, 3-5 Artists doing random inconsistent junk, 23 GMs that hope to abuse their power, and 331 people that want to contribute but realize they can't and instead distract everyone else.

Haha those numbers are so true; though it's actually kind of impressive to get more than 20 people interested at all.  Oh, and there'd be one musician, who composes with only a computer program, no instruments or vocals.

I volunteer as one of the slacker programmers !!!  :-)

I'm also pretty good at random inconsistent junk artwork.  *BIG GRIN*

My only outside help has been testers / design consultants.  As expected, 10% of them do 90% of the work.  However, the 10% that do work were freakin' fantastic help.  [kudos to RL1 and WAC testers image ]

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by sunandshadow

Originally posted by Gormogon The better approach IMO is to develop a prototype among a small, tight leadership group with a shared vision
    This is a good idea.  Do you have any specific advice for how to do this?  I have not had any success at finding people with a shared vision and I haven't encountered a website set up to matchmake gamedevs with people with similar interests, even though such sites exist for comics and other things that require a creative team.

Been to http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html classifieds portal?

Haha, yes, I am a moderator at gamedev and have been since before the current classifieds system existed. ^_^  It's kind of slanted toward people who want to be the leader, though, and while I've tried being the leader of a gamedev project in the past, it's definitely not for me.  That should be the job of an extrovert with management skills, while I'm in introvert with skills related to design, concept art, writing documentation, writing dialogue, writing flavor text, etc.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by XAPKen
    Originally posted by sunandshadow Originally posted by mmoguy43 The reality is you would have 50 idea guies, 1-2  s1acker programmers, 3-5 Artists doing random inconsistent junk, 23 GMs that hope to abuse their power, and 331 people that want to contribute but realize they can't and instead distract everyone else.
    Haha those numbers are so true; though it's actually kind of impressive to get more than 20 people interested at all.  Oh, and there'd be one musician, who composes with only a computer program, no instruments or vocals.

I volunteer as one of the slacker programmers !!!  :-)

I'm also pretty good at random inconsistent junk artwork.  *BIG GRIN*

My only outside help has been testers / design consultants.  As expected, 10% of them do 90% of the work.  However, the 10% that do work were freakin' fantastic help.  [kudos to RL1 and WAC testers  ]

You been an inspiration Ken I can say that for sure.

If I go back, I may make mine radical since it will never have a website, Never get listed and never get advertised outside law suits.

features I am working on in my SP can be transposed to BW if I can get past the morphing issue.

full nudity
    strong sexual content
    graphic violence
    subscription model 50 bucks a month
    cash shop run by players for appearance gear. Buy and sell land.
    no levels
    no skilling
    build anywhere
    OW no PvP with instanced dungeons.

Total radical plan LOL

Will I ever get it done? NO

LOL

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

By some definition of work, it could definitely work.

Is it going to be a fun, bug-free, high-quality game?  Probably not, but not impossible.

The biggest killer (apart from the volatility and lack of organization) would be keeping scope reasonable (ie someone mentioned an 8+ year game a few posts back.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Nope.

You need a lot of trained artists - also programmers, but mainly artists - to create a game.

You also need servers running and maintained, and gms to help people who encounter bugs.

You cant do that with a community. Especially running servers without the finances is impossible.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

How about we start with making a community created Shard for Shards online?

That is actually something I think we members here could pull off as long as we find someone that is a good editor and can put all the stuff together.

A community created game is far much more work and would require at least one ace programmer to make the the tools and cutomize the engine. That still isn't impossible but the experience of creating a Shard first would be very helpful training and tell us if we have talented people enough to create a game world.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Blender has a game engine if you like Python script it's kinda community pro.

A community created game would be fine if there was a leader of the project and h/she set the rules down in advanced.  There has to be a leader in every project or it will go shotty all kinds of different directions and total ruin.  By "community project" you mean free license no profit I assume.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Definitely not this community.  :)
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Definitely not this community.  :)

If nothing else, this community is too small.  It's too bad, because working on a community game design would be a lot of fun.  Well, fun aside from the fact that no one would agree on what they wanted to make, again because there aren't enough people here to take the 10% who have some interest in trying to design an MMO and allow them to naturally split into groups who prefer to make different types of MMOs.  But still.  Le sigh.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

A community created game absolutely can work and does (i.e. The Mana World). I think it takes an open source development structure to work well. Similar to how the web browser firefox is developed. There are 1000's of people contributing; with bug fixes, graphical updates, UI revision etc. But only one team that reviews and implements those changes in official releases. But even if the community are not directly developing for the game, I think it is important these days for players to feel involved in the games development. Runescape I think stands of a good example of how to achieve this. Firstly it involves being as transparent as is reasonable. And secondly an open line of communication between the players and the development team.

For instance just today they released another installment of their customer satisfaction report . Which they tweeted about and posted otherwise on all their social networking. Yesterday I read the patch notes after watching their YouTube summation video on it. 3 days ago I put a youtube developer Q&A on 144p and listened to it as I grinded out drops and levels (you can participate even through twitch and the game has twitch integration). 5 days ago I submitted another idea for peer review to runelabs. A little over a week ago I hopped on just to pelt the Mods with hot air balloons (I didn't have water balloons at the time) as they hopped world to world, bot slaying in a live stream event (A wasn't being a gerk, everyone was pelting them with something. they enabled that so the players could have some fun with it). And today I will be voting in the player power polls where player suggestions get pitted against developer ideas to decide what gets done in what order (with an ETA).

I may have grown tired of the actual game were it not for this sort of community involvement. This holds my interest long enough for updates to suck me in (being part of the process). And, I think this decision to get more involved with the community has turned out great. I wish more games would take this sort of stance and similar active involvement.

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Not going happen dont matter how much you try 

1 - Peoples like several things

2 - EGO!

3 - Need Leadership and someone to say , its DONE and THIS way you need finish

4 - i forget