Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A community created game - could it work

Would a community created game work for an MMORPG. Unreal Tournament is using this model to build a game.

Comments

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Developer infighting shreds most open community projects.

Egos fight egos when nobody really owns the product, people leave and take what they've made with them, and the project ends up a walking corpse if its lucky.

So, to answer, not usually

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    If the community of MMORPG.com is any example, then no. Not even close.  As a matter of fact, I would have to say that for my personal experience, the more "community" gets involved, the less "vision" is used.  It's like a developer paints a beautiful picture of what they want to achieve, then along comes the community, and they add a touch of something here, and a bit of change there and the end result is a garbled mess.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Well you need a leader; groups of humans without a leader are just non-functional, they can't even decide what restaurant to eat at half the time, much less the thousands of decisions that go into a game.  The leader needs to have mad networking and organizational skills, and if he or she doesn't have good taste and skills in game design, then he/she at least needs to be able to select a lead designer who does.  At that point it's not really a community project, but an indie project.  Then they need at least a little money to grease the wheels - even $1000 can be tremendously helpful.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Originally posted by eye_m
    If the community of MMORPG.com is any example, then no. Not even close.  As a matter of fact, I would have to say that for my personal experience, the more "community" gets involved, the less "vision" is used.  It's like a developer paints a beautiful picture of what they want to achieve, then along comes the community, and they add a touch of something here, and a bit of change there and the end result is a garbled mess.

One possibility is to filter all community suggestionsa and requests through a designer.  This means 75% will be discarded or modified enough that they don't really look like the original suggestion, but the ones that are used can be made a part of the vision rather than conflicting with it.  This was actually one of the most fun volunteer jobs I ever had, collecting and editing community suggestions to make them fit together into a coherent vision. :)

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    There is a community based open source MMORPG being created. It's been in development for about 8 years now. Don't remember it's name though. It's around here somewhere.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Grunty
    There is a community based open source MMORPG being created. It's been in development for about 8 years now. Don't remember it's name though. It's around here somewhere.

Planeshift

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    If im not wrong Linux has the most community based games right now. And thats not saying much since Windows rules over the gaming space... unfortunately.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I was active in a project building an MMORPG framework with community contributions.

Even so, there was still a formal project manager who handled design decisions.

I don't think the project would have worked without him.  There were too many of us, including me, who had conflicting ideas on how the framework should develop.

~waves~ to anyone who remembers MMOWorkshop

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

Developer infighting shreds most open community projects.

Egos fight egos when nobody really owns the product, people leave and take what they've made with them, and the project ends up a walking corpse if its lucky.

So, to answer, not usually

I'd definitely agree with the ownership issues.

Egos will clash.  Ideas will conflict and someone will have to arbitrate.  When faced a cost, who is going to pay it?  Who is going to arbitrate what features go in and what features don't.  What happens when one of the contributors 'uses' a trademarked image by taking it directly from another game?  Who is going to provide the drive to finish the product?  How is everyone going to keep on task, and not simply re-hashing ideas and decisions previously made?

The worst thing imaginable is for a community designed product to be successful.  Who owns it?  A successful game might generate a pile of money to fight over, and everyone who contributed will want their share.

Far better to go with a regular business model with a business' inherent hierarchy.  At least, if you want a chance at making a successful product.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Could it work?  I could in theory.  History is not on the side of success.   If you look at the history of software projects in the past 50 years (not just game software) you will see a ton of failed projects.  If failure happens in a professional  environment, imagine the team herding cats of software developer trying to win.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

One possibility is to filter all community suggestionsa and requests through a designer.  This means 75% will be discarded or modified enough that they don't really look like the original suggestion, but the ones that are used can be made a part of the vision rather than conflicting with it.  This was actually one of the most fun volunteer jobs I ever had, collecting and editing community suggestions to make them fit together into a coherent vision. :)

So take the community out of the community based game, or at least as much as required to make it functional.  I guess that is agreeing with my original point?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I have an engine to throw at it.

It's a full blown MMO engine, 3 years old but no longer supported.

I'll even throw some code examples in so you can get started.

Do keep in mind the engine requires 10% payout and is highly technical but it works great.

WOT and WOP are using it.

Why would I do this?

I highly doubt it will go beyond talk because building a project of this magnitude requires more skill than most have.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Different people working on the same game are inevitably going to disagree on various features in the game.  Things that might strike players as a minor detail will sure seem major to you if you're spending a month of your life implementing it.  In order for a team to stay together, people have to have some incentive to stay with the project when they don't get their way.

The usual solution that the gaming industry has found is a paycheck.  A lot of people will do things for pay that they wouldn't do for free.  But you don't seem to be talking about a company hiring employees and assigning them work to do.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Nope.

One possibility is to filter all community suggestions and requests through a designer.  This means 75% will be discarded or modified enough that they don't really look like the original suggestion, but the ones that are used can be made a part of the vision rather than conflicting with it.  This was actually one of the most fun volunteer jobs I ever had, collecting and editing community suggestions to make them fit together into a coherent vision. :)

So take the community out of the community based game, or at least as much as required to make it functional.  I guess that is agreeing with my original point?

Oh yeah I agree with the general principle, I just wanted to point out that community input is something that can be used as raw material, it's not inherently an unusable mess.

Originally posted by VonTakala
    Originally posted by ArChWind I have an engine to throw at it. It's a full blown MMO engine, 3 years old but no longer supported. I'll even throw some code examples in so you can get started. Do keep in mind the engine requires 10% payout and is highly technical but it works great. WOT and WOP are using it. Why would I do this? I highly doubt it will go beyond talk because building a project of this magnitude requires more skill than most have.
    That and you're talking Bigworld which is all in Python and C and requires you really know what you're doing...

It isn't that bad but yeah it can be a big PITA to work with because of code in 3 places. I am still working with it but just a hobby so figured maybe these guys want a REAL MMO engine with incredibly high scalability I would offer.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Only with the right people and someone doing an amazing job managing them... Maybe

Since MMORPGs are the largest, most complex, and diverse genre; you won't be able to make the game with just anybody.

The reality is you would have 50 idea guies, 1-2  s1acker programmers, 3-5 Artists doing random inconsistent junk, 23 GMs that hope to abuse their power, and 331 people that want to contribute but realize they can't and instead distract everyone else.

Yeah... I've seen some of these kinds of projects materialize and vaporize in between a few months and a week. Somewhat worse than Greed Monger but the devs of that game ran off with more money than they deserved.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    There are a lot of things that can work well if you have a number of talented people really committed to making it work but predictably won't work well if you throw some random people together and see what happens.
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

The reality is you would have 50 idea guies, 1-2  s1acker programmers, 3-5 Artists doing random inconsistent junk, 23 GMs that hope to abuse their power, and 331 people that want to contribute but realize they can't and instead distract everyone else.

Haha those numbers are so true; though it's actually kind of impressive to get more than 20 people interested at all.  Oh, and there'd be one musician, who composes with only a computer program, no instruments or vocals.

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Only with the right people and someone doing an amazing job managing them... MaybeSince MMORPGs are the largest, most complex, and diverse genre; you won't be able to make the game with just anybody.The reality is you would have 50 idea guies, 1-2  s1acker programmers, 3-5 Artists doing random inconsistent junk, 23 GMs that hope to abuse their power, and 331 people that want to contribute but realize they can't and instead distract everyone else.Yeah... I've seen some of these kinds of projects materialize and vaporize in between a few months and a week. Somewhat worse than Greed Monger but the devs of that game ran off with more money than they deserved.

There you go. 100% Fact

Reason I closed mine down and reason I bailed out on another project.

Not worth the headache.

I shut my server off a year ago and haven't looked at since.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    A camel is a horse designed by a committee.
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

I've been involved in collaborative projects in various areas and my experience is that the idealistic, democratic approach to game design and production is generally a waste of everyone's time.  I was involved in a game where votes were put to everything, from character names to music to individual pieces of art, which slowed down production immensely, made the losing candidates bitter, and accomplished nothing because as the whole team turned over over the course of a couple of years, the next generation had different ideas and put everything that had already been voted on to a vote again.   One person with the proper knowledge could have accomplished over a summer what that project did in a decade.

Part of being a pro is doing the job assigned to you to the best of your ability, even if it doesn't match your personal vision.  You might be able to offer suggestions, but ultimately you do what the team needs you to do.  That element is usually completely missing in an amateur, community production.  If things are going in a direction you don't like, you leave, and take all of your skills with you.

The better approach IMO is to develop a prototype among a small, tight leadership group with a shared vision, and then commission out various elements to people who are interested in developing their skills and having work to showcase in hopes of landing a job in the industry.  This way, you're able to match your vision during the search/recruitment process with that of someone who has the skill and time to do what you cannot.

Originally posted by Gormogon

The better approach IMO is to develop a prototype among a small, tight leadership group with a shared vision

This is a good idea.  Do you have any specific advice for how to do this?  I have not had any success at finding people with a shared vision and I haven't encountered a website set up to matchmake gamedevs with people with similar interests, even though such sites exist for comics and other things that require a creative team.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

A game like TF2 is already in part community created.

I'm thinking of a basic game by some game studio.  Lets call it Stargate, with the basic big city with stargates and a few worlds to explore just to get you started. 

Then build a solid foundry or whatever you would call it, and let the community create more worlds. Every new world would have to be approved by a community board  + a game master that would be able to veto.

I doubt a 100% community created game would work,  but a game with more community involvement should definedtly be possible.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Gormogon The better approach IMO is to develop a prototype among a small, tight leadership group with a shared vision
    This is a good idea.  Do you have any specific advice for how to do this?  I have not had any success at finding people with a shared vision and I haven't encountered a website set up to matchmake gamedevs with people with similar interests, even though such sites exist for comics and other things that require a creative team.

Been to http://www.gamedev.net/page/index.html classifieds portal?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development