Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warships: First Impressions - A Capable Fleet

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The seas are silent as my gunboat, the Hashidate, glides across the smooth deep blue waves. To my starboard side I see the USS South Carolina towering above the rest of our fleet. The mere presence of the battleship strengthens my resolve. I cut around an island, skirting the perimeter of our capture objective only to find I am now in range of enemy artillery. As I scramble to get my cruiser positioned to fire, the Carolina unleashes a devastating barrage toward our foe. I navigate my ship closer to the Carolina in hopes that the bigger target will draw my fire while we attempt to hold our freshly won objective. But the enemy is not distracted

Read more of Chris Swain's World of Warships First Impressions - A Capable Fleet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    That looks pretty cool actually. I love it when game developers get atmospherics right.
  • GolaanGolaan Member UncommonPosts: 3
    A lot of fun actually, and with the graphics dialed up to max, it looks really good.  Every class of ship plays completely differently so there's sure to be something that appeals to everyone.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

hard to make credit profit at tier 8 battleship unless you play an above average game, which let's face it, is mostly dependent on your rng rolls.

might be fun for the casuals for a few days but there is not a good long term yet. even in WoT i could make credit profits on a FREE account on TIER NINE.

they need to fix this fast.

• BeezowDooDooZopittyBeezowDooDooZopitty Member CommonPosts: 4

Good review of the game and think it nails it pretty well!

I have roughly 20 hours played so far in the Beta, mainly on the lower tiers cause they are so much fun. The Tenryu is by far my favorite and I am not a fan of the Battleships. Too big and clunky for my tastes, and the Destroyers are too easily destroyed (Yes, I realize this is a "skill" thing but they just don't interest me enough to use them more than a couple times). Haven't gotten an Aircraft Carrier yet, and don't plan to right now. Again, just doesn't fit with my playstyle. 

Anyway, for what it is, I enjoy it far more than Tanks or Planes. Graphics are good (not ZOMG GRAPHICS!!) and the atmosphere is awesome. Every match gets the blood pumping because you think you know where everyone is at, then BAM! someone pops up and starts shooting you from where you thought was covered by teammates. Enjoyable for a couple hours at a time. Waiting for more countries to get added and all the extra stuff that they are planning on doing (which I don't know what all that is cause I don't care to look it up, enjoy the development process).

• repubrepub Member UncommonPosts: 25
    As an attempt at explication - the signal flags are consumable buffs, based on specific "achievements" in games that you can repeat, like taking down 4 or 5 ships by 20%, etc. It gives bonuses as a consumable, so the system encourages some measure of daring play so you can restock certain flags(buffs).
  • Chris_SwainChris_Swain Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by repub
    As an attempt at explication - the signal flags are consumable buffs, based on specific "achievements" in games that you can repeat, like taking down 4 or 5 ships by 20%, etc. It gives bonuses as a consumable, so the system encourages some measure of daring play so you can restock certain flags(buffs).

Thanks for the helpful clarification Repub. It sounds like and interesting system. We will certainly review it more prior to a proper review when the game launches!

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

The wargaming games and I have a love/hate relationship.  The style of game, gameplay, and graphics all appeal to me.  I really enjoy almost everything about the game.

Until you get stuck in battle after battle with ships, planes, tanks who are all 2-3 tiers above you.  That's like the equivalent of letting a one armed man fight against a golden glove champ.  In WoT most of your rounds will simply fail to penetrate the higher tier tanks, unless you can get a rear hit.  World of warships is a bit better in this, as you don't have glancing hits.  But you will notice a massive difference in damage in your ship vs their ship if you are tiers below your enemy.  When each hit of your's takes off 5% and each hit of their's takes off 15%.  It's pretty noticeable.

If they were to simply tighten up the tiers a bit so you never fought outside more than 1 tier of your own tier.  It would make the game much more enjoyable.  Yes queue times would be a little longer, but I can deal with waiting a min vs 20s.

All in all, I beta tested WoW (warships) for a few months, got tired of always being out gunned in 90% of my fights, and just uninstalled the game and went back to PS2.  Yes it's a totally different game, but at least everyone is on somewhat equal footing...

• SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82

I was lucky to receive a Beta Code from MMORPG.  It's been a couple of weeks since I've play World of Warships, but I really enjoy the game.  They have been gradually adding features  (since I started, they added the Flag buffs and Captain training/ranking for example), but it has never felt like a Beta.  Very stable and responsive.

I love the attention to detail  For example, I can switch view and watch my planes take off from my Carrier.  The pace is good and I like that even if you get destroyed early in a match, you can leave and jump into another game (albeit with a different ship until the match for the ship you lost is over).  As other have said, Batteships are very sluggish but can land devastating damage when played right.  My favorite ship to play atm are the cruisers. Quick, responsive and both guns and torps!   Carriers are interesting to play, but I suck at them.

My one biggest gripe is how crazy overpowered Torp Bombers seem.   There are players that a truly masters at coming up behind you and manually releasing multiple streams of torps that you can even react to.  Heck...they don't even have to come up behind you.  You can see them coming and still just get blasted by the torp run of doom they launch :0

All in all, I've played Star Conflict, WoT and War Thunder and I like WoW the best.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

American Cruiser master race reporting for duty. 

I've been playing this everyday since open beta launched and I absolutely love it.

Favorite tech trees are; American Cruisers, Japanese Destroyers, American Battleships, Japanese Carriers.

• GameJeffGameJeff Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

hard to make credit profit at tier 8 battleship unless you play an above average game, which let's face it, is mostly dependent on your rng rolls.

might be fun for the casuals for a few days but there is not a good long term yet. even in WoT i could make credit profits on a FREE account on TIER NINE.

I am not concerned about this. For a long time WoT you kept to either your premium Lowe and KV-5 or Tier 5-7 to make credits almost anthing above 7 you lost money. it wasnt until theyredid a bunch of things that a good player could make credit above 8.  In Battlships I am loving the captains and the progression. I also like the CO-OP mode as I try out new ship or just need an easy win.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Cool game, great concept and deeply flawed game mechanics which the WG.net standard.
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    MM needs work.. gives alot of crap matches.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

People say it is mostly RNG in World of Tanks.  That is a lie.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I've been playing this game for 2 days and I love it...

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    RNG based battleship....

And torps, torps, torps!

GG WG.
  • Ahremel555Ahremel555 Member UncommonPosts: 4

First of all, let's make something clear...

This is not a simulation of Naval warfare.  This is a game with ships that fight one another.  Typical of Wargaming to use "historical" items that have been modified to meet what they feel is balance.

The reviewer talked about the South Carolina unleashing a massive broadside.  I guess he forgot to mention that most of those shells probably never hit.  The dispersion on the battleship guns is laughable.  In one battle I was running a Wyoming class BB (tier-4).  I fired my forward turret at a Hosho (carrier) that was broadside to me at a range of 3 km.  One shell landed in front of the carrier, one landed behind it.  And this is not an isolated incident, this happens damn near every salvo!!

Above tier 5, the cruisers are like the "autoloaders" in WoT.  They put out a near constant stream of shells that can reduce a Battleship into a pile of smoking debris within minutes.  There is something inherently wrong with a game when the most powerful ship in the game is shredded by a Cruiser using 6" guns (Atlanta-class).  When I commented on this fact post-battle, I was told: 1) It's beta  2) Learn to dodge the shells  3) uninstall

Beautiful game, typical Wargaming treatment and, in my opinion, ultimately not a very fun experience.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355

I would agree that the game looks good but ultimately isnt very fun after a couple of days. 

The maps are small and few, battleships are pretty lame, occasionaly you get lucky enough to hit something but then cruiser comes along and burns you easily, destroyers torp you, and carriers also. 

The battles are also not very strategic, in WoT you at least hide, and move and so on, here its more of a rolling clusterf**k. It all just happens a bit too randomly and is decided in the first 20 seconds. At least up to tier 5 where I am with a BB, Cruiser, DD and carrier. 

It might get better higher up, bit for now it is a little underwhelming for some reason. I

What they have right is the initial - wow cool massive warships thing but that fades after a day or two.

However after they destroyed WoT for me, when they nerfed arty and made gameplay into a HP battle this is probably the best thing WG have right now.  WarThunder is streets ahead in the air combat department. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by meonthissite
    That looks pretty cool actually. I love it when game developers get atmospherics right.

Ya, not something I would play but it looks pretty sweet. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    If any of you guys visit  screenshots I would appreciate a BUMP :) thx you
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Originally posted by ragz45

The wargaming games and I have a love/hate relationship.  The style of game, gameplay, and graphics all appeal to me.  I really enjoy almost everything about the game.

Until you get stuck in battle after battle with ships, planes, tanks who are all 2-3 tiers above you.  That's like the equivalent of letting a one armed man fight against a golden glove champ.  In WoT most of your rounds will simply fail to penetrate the higher tier tanks, unless you can get a rear hit.  World of warships is a bit better in this, as you don't have glancing hits.  But you will notice a massive difference in damage in your ship vs their ship if you are tiers below your enemy.  When each hit of your's takes off 5% and each hit of their's takes off 15%.  It's pretty noticeable.

If they were to simply tighten up the tiers a bit so you never fought outside more than 1 tier of your own tier.  It would make the game much more enjoyable.  Yes queue times would be a little longer, but I can deal with waiting a min vs 20s.

All in all, I beta tested WoW (warships) for a few months, got tired of always being out gunned in 90% of my fights, and just uninstalled the game and went back to PS2.  Yes it's a totally different game, but at least everyone is on somewhat equal footing...

This is also my biggest gripe about their games. I can see the occasional match putting you in that situation, but when you go into the majority of matches being in the bottom two vehicles (tanks designated as recon) it becomes a bummer to basically either hide most of the match or be someone else's easy content. Given the huge population of WoT there seems to be no reason to not tighten the tiers or at least to give you the option to queue for even matches only.

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Coming from someone with an MA in naval history, and who played the beta for 3+ months this spring, the game sucks. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by ShrikeArghast
    Coming from someone with an MA in naval history, and who played the beta for 3+ months this spring, the game sucks. 

Wargaming.net doesn't make games that are historically accurate, they make games with arcade game play using historical models.

Additionally, the arcade game play has to be adapted to encourage players to spend money in the Cash Shop.

Probably the only "historically accurate" part of WoWS is that the battles take place in seawater...

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Was gonna give it a go but there's no invert mouse :(
  • XandrosXandros Member Posts: 27
    I like to play this game, as i like to play World of Tanks aswell. Excellent company with skilled devs doing a great job.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I spent this entire weekend, including Friday, playing the World of Warships beta and I have to say that I like it.  I don't love it, and I can see myself getting bored with it a lot quicker than WoT due to the repetitive nature of naval combat, but it is a very fun diversion for picking up a few quick matches.  In the time that I had to play this weekend I got pretty far down the American Cruiser line.  I found that I was able to compete with most ships that I came up against.

There are some sticking points for me.  

First, Destroyers are too damn powerful.  They have amazing speed and carry the most powerful weapon in the game; torpedoes.  Not just 1-2 torpedoes, but entire salvos of like 4-6 torpedoes that they can fire in spreads.  In any match with a good Destroyer pilot, he will have the most kills and highest damage every time.  In the interest of more balanced gameplay, I feel that they should either lower the absurd damage of torpedoes, or give destroyers about half as many launch tubes as they have.

Second are Carriers.  I mean Wargaming just can't get away from having at least one type of equipment the game that has a top down view with orbital laser guided bombs.  Carriers have a top down view of the map, can launch planes with bombs, planes with torpedoes and fighter planes.  You'll be trucking along in your cruiser, laying down some serious firepower on a battleship and then your AA guns will start firing.  You look up and see that your AA guns haven't hit a damn thing and then suddenly you have five torpedoes coming at you broadside.  It's game over at that point in anything but a destroyer because you're just too slow to dodge them in any other ship.