Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 10; How to temporarily prevent a Windows driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Gathering all that info not good. I think will stick to windows 8.1 for now and the future .

And I am assuming you're using an iPhone right? Cause if you are using an android and are concerned about all the info gathering, then LOL!

I am not sure why Microsoft is getting so much hate where Google is blatantly collecting all your personal info. Hell their entire company is built on that unlike Microsoft and Apple who make a lot of money from their software and hardware cause they charge for it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by snowman22

Jesus you guys and your doom and gloom.  i feel this is like people who complain that snapchat requires access to your camera..

Of course cortana needs access to your loc and calendar and social feeds. its a god damn assistant.. like siri. dont want to have it help you, dont use it.

as for the auto updates of drivers, that is your GPU makers fault if it does not work complain to nvidia or AMD when the newest Windows driver doesnt work, they are the ones who submit it to MS to auto update. 

Also you can turn off device updates, but for most people who use their pc to play FB games it isnt an issue. hell most pc gamers wont have an issue with the auto updated nvidia drivers, the ADM ones unfortunately are still test drivers but that is AMD fault.

i have been using win 10 in my gaming enviroment since october of last yr. only had issues with AMD drivers being engineering samples that would keep updating, all i had to do was go into gpedit and turn off updates. but since release last week and live now you can just go into system panel and choose deivces and turn off updates through microsoft. 

but again it is not microsofts fault if the device manufacturers suck at making drivers.

this is like going to a car dealership and complaining that the gas you got at a local station ruined your car. and not complaining to the gas station..

People seem to be ignorant. I mean with Windows 8 people couldn't find how to access the start screen when the Windows logo was not in the task bar. Other people couldn't figure out how to search on windows 8 even though it works in the exact same way => press start > start typing....

Ooh yeah and I don't see why having the most up to date drivers is a bad thing. Surely it's Nvidia's fault if their latest driver is shit. But as you have said I am guessing it's the AMD people who are complaining as I have always only used Intel and Nvidia and have never had any issues in the driver department.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Would you believe that Windows 10 also keeps track of every single URL you visit, regardless of which program is used to visit the site?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/318803

Oh wait, that's Windows XP.  But 10 does it, too.  So does any other remotely modern operating system intended for devices that access the Internet.

It's called a DNS cache.  The idea is, rather than having to look up that mmorpg.com is 216.168.135.100, the first time you visit this site, it will have to hit a bunch of DNS servers to track that information down.  Rather than doing that every single time you visit this site, it will store it the first time, so on subsequent times, when you type in mmorpg.com in your browser, it can look up the appropriate IP address from your hard drive and get you here faster.

There's a lot of stuff like that that a good operating system will do.  At least since Vista and possibly before, Windows has kept track of which programs you launched and when, so it could try to predict what you would launch and load it into memory ahead of time.  If you launch a particular web browser every single day, then Windows will load the browser into memory without waiting for you to launch it, and leave it there unless it needs to free the memory to make room for something that you're actually using.  That means that if it correctly guesses that you were going to launch that web browser, it can load a lot faster because it's already in memory.

Stuff like that is useful and makes Windows work better for you.  If it's going to take all that data on everything you do and send the precise details all to Microsoft with your name attached to it, then yeah, that would be a huge privacy problem.  But storing it locally so that it can make use of it locally and make your computer work better for you?  That's what Windows is supposed to do.

Wow, did you just compare DNS caching to peeking into emails and contact lists and potentially storing that for enterprise recovery in an analytic package? Where is all that "big data" coming from if not from Windows users hmmm. Where's it coming from aliens? From you - take it for free and you are the product for sale - always has been - always will be.

DNS is nothing but a translation of text to IP address. If you have a stand-alone machine you don't need any text at all to see a website - it routes just fine. You do know about localhost and internal IP addresses right? They bring up servers without typing in thatwebsite.com because the port is listening. If you change the port you just put that in the query too. Once again, no DNS required. You don't have to ask another machine how to route to your local network.

I can type in an IP address and DNS doesn't even need to get used.

Mind you my host file overrides any DNS stored settings so you can pretend I'm visiting Google Analytics all day and it just loops back to my own IP address. Your DNS by the way is from your ISP unless you manually change it. Mine isn't set to be my ISP because whoopity doo you can change that too. It goes to root servers if it can't get local responses. The root servers are what propagates the local servers. That's why changing a domain can take time sometimes. It has to start at the root nodes and trickle down the ladder. Haven't setup many domains I take it not to know that. But that redundancy is the basis of why the internet is the internet so go read about it. It will do you good to learn.

What makes things load faster in a browser is not based on the IP address - it's based on file caching and you can set that to purge itself when the browser is closed. If you ping any domain you can look at the time it takes to resolve to an ip address and it's not even beyond milliseconds. You are wrong about that one completely.

That lookup table exists in RAM - not in forever storage and it's clearable by shutting down, restarting or just telling it to go away or overriding it in hosts. You know what RAM is right? Requires power to function? Hope so because you don't know much else about this subject.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727005.aspx

"

The DNS Client Resolver Cache

The DNS client resolver cache is a RAM-based table that contains both the entries in the Hosts file and the host names that Windows has tried to resolve through DNS. The DNS client resolver cache stores entries for both successful and unsuccessful DNS name resolutions. A name that was queried but was not successfully resolved is known as a negative cache entry.  

The following list describes the attributes of the DNS client resolver cache:

• It is built dynamically from the Hosts file and from DNS queries.  

• Entries obtained from DNS queries are kept only for a period of time known as the Time to Live (TTL), which is set by the DNS server that has the name-to-IP address mapping stored in a local database.

• Entries obtained from the Hosts file do not have a TTL and are kept until the entry is removed from the Hosts file.

• You can use the ipconfig /displaydns command to view the contents of the DNS client resolver cache.

• You can use the ipconfig /flushdns command to flush and refresh the DNS client resolver cache with just the entries in the Hosts file.

"

I can't believe you typed that out - don't you claim to know computers in-depth?

YEah big data is not only coming from Google spying on you you know? Insurance companies and banks have truck load of information which the find hard to manage. Big data is probably the most popular topic in insurance as they have huge amounts of data which they are using to try to essentially predict the future. However, a lot of these companies struggle to make sense of their data.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Torval

Wow, there are all sorts of cool apps in this version. The photo organizer is nice. The new music app "Groove Music" is awesome. The apps are crisp and clean, almost a little too spartan. I like that the store has music, apps, and and movies/tv.

This overdelivered for my expectations.

Sounds like something you would find on a smartphone, not a Desktop PC. image

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by Quizzical

My point is that saying that Windows tracks stuff isn't insidious in itself.  It all depends on what it does with the information it tracks.  Of course it has to be able to see the contents of your e-mails; otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use e-mails on Windows.  But there's a huge difference between knowing that an e-mail client is using some particular range of memory versus taking all of the contents of your e-mails and sending them to Microsoft for Microsoft employees to read them all.  The latter is a huge privacy breach and the former is not.

There are a lot of really vague claims that Windows 10 is spying on people because it looks at this or that information.  But what I want to know is, what does it do with the information when it sees it?  Because without knowing that, it's not reasonable to say that it's some horrible spyware program.

Security has a standard. You don't wait for something to hurt you then cut back on what it can do. You start it off with the minimum and have no reason to exceed that because that's why access isn't open everywhere for everyone. http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/principle-of-least-privilege-POLP

What would you do with the information if you were competing against Google every day and they are harvesting info to use along with making money off selling it. They were nice enough to at least tell you they are taking it. What reason would they take it if not to use it. I disagree on the email - you as a user need to read your email. Your voice search assistant does not need to read your email or your contact list or any of the other stuff it wants to do. Tell me how it's going to serve you better by knowing the names of your contacts. Do you name any documents by contact names, I don't. Do you do internet searches on people repeatedly or does the single e-stalk suffice. When you use your email itself - isn't it smart enough to already try to guess the email address from your contact list - no bonus there from searchy search a lot - the programs already do that without assistants.

Have you seen that ad for Google - it's two women vapidly standing around and they have the entire world of information at their fingertips and they ask... what is the wind speed in vapidville as they try to keep their skirts down. Oh wow, such revolution, this is the pinnacle of learning and mankind's rise beyond mere stick housing. We can find out the wind speed and giggle about skirts and hair moving - teehee haha, let's take a selfie. Those voice assistants aren't for anything but learning how to look creepy talking to yourself like the guy talking loudly roaming the grocery store with his earpiece. It's a way to broadcast that you are so interesting. I'll bet Starbucks is filled with people ok googling and hey cortana-ing their wind speed - maybe it's siri - when does apple come out with something new because I'm bored of this 2k piece of crap - what I want is a 3k piece of shinier crap. I'm sorry, is that social commentary - reeling it in...

Remember when I mentioned the spam I got from others participating in services and being on their contact lists. That's how it has been previously misused by companies that get no flack for it other than people who won't use their services, as far as I can tell FB still rules the roost putting their little pixel trackers and logins all over the place and no one bats an eye except the people who don't use them. After all - they got permission from YOU to bother ME. That's still legit right now and it shouldn't be. Just like Gmail scouring emails just to build personal ads. That's why all Gmail is good for is signing up for crap, not talking to people.

If you want to throw out everything about you that's one thing but if just befriending you makes every conversation we have or will have a part of a profile about "people like this" -- that's a security breach for me to be your business acquaintance and especially a friend if I might tell you something sensitive about my personal life that I want between us alone. In the same way it would be if during a conference call you starting taking video of our conversation. That's private information and lots of business happens via email every day of the week. If you haven't seen social media abuse contact lists I can find you an email if I haven't blasted them all.

There was a big todo about those notifications from games too telling all ppl on friends lists when ppl scored in games just to advertise the games. I just got level 18 on poodleplayers! Come Join me!! #freetoplay

And those were people who didn't ask to be spammed but just because they had a connection to someone else they got bothered. Then there is the tagging of people in pictures, again, not requested by the person who got tagged.

The sick part is that so much of this data gathering is based upon ads - haylo - if I haven't clicked an ad on the internet after 20 years, no level of personalization is going to make me start doing it now.

Now, if you want to go to the darkside of thinking you can imagine that Antitrust comes to pass. It's a movie where programmers are killed for the basement code they write because it can aid a company. Good movie but don't let it come to that because people are so trusting that we allow everything to be open because there's nothing to hide. There are ideas and original thought to hide and if someone brings something to market before you - your work doesn't matter. The guy they based this off of wasn't Steve Jobs in their representation - guess who they were based off of in theory.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMn6pXOmJU

All the people who don't care about their security are wearing leaky diapers all over the internet just dripping and they have no reason to get unhappy when I find pee on my shoe and say - not me this time. Keep me off your list. Not going to participate, that's trouble and I hope one day some people wake up and take that danged diaper off already because those things are saturated enough.

Life is lived on a slippery slope.  If you're not willing to accept any risk of getting hacked whatsoever, the only solution is to get off the Internet entirely.

Again, the big question is of what Windows is doing with your data.  If it's sending your private e-mails to Redmond to be read by Microsoft employees, that's a big problem.  If it's resizing windows to make your e-mail easier for you to read, that's not.  If you know that Microsoft is sending your stuff over the Internet without your permission, then be more specific.  Otherwise, all you've got is paranoia.

If Microsoft's goal is to make more money off of operating systems, trying to be more like Google probably isn't the solution.  Microsoft makes a whole lot more money off of Windows than Google does off of Android.  Microsoft makes oodles of money on Windows and Office, and seems like they tend to lose money on everything else they touch.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.