Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I asking a lot?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Can anyone here name one single product with:

#1 Meaningful, constant progression toward a goal that will matter to me and the multi players that play the same game.

#2 Secure

#3 Preferably Free to Play, but can do B2P if it truly separates from F2P competition.

I recently come from 3 games that I ran out of goals to do. Marvel Heroes, Ultima Online and Path of Exile. I'm not going to go into details, but I can say I found myself without a goal to continue playing.

Example, Marvel Heroes unlocked some favorite costumus, went cosmic prestiged, got BIS gear and omega cap. The game runs the same events over and over that veteran player has no use and only delivers new heroes and costumes here and there. The raid that happens weekly lasts for 30 min and that's it.

Example, Path of Exile. Got my chr to lvl 82 on tempest league, and now I got nothing left to do but to pursuit highest level, which at the end it won't matter to anyone but myself and it's too late to compete for top spots in the league. My other options are to go through a tedious grind, which is simple and nothing more than a timesink...only to be rewarded with some banner in my hideout which anyone rarely sees.

Example, Ultima Online. I played on some server, where endgame is just about farming gold to get items you want, but since those items I want are rarely on market, I play the game by just browing the selling forum section daily and hope I can finally use the gold on something.

So, I've went to other alternatives, like exploring steam most popular games, which sadly are only 2 DOTA2 and CS:GO. Terraria gaining momentum now as well, but God that type of game could be delivered in 1990, yet it is somehow 3rd most played on Steam, just shows further how players are starved for sandbox. Trove and minecraft popularity is further evidence of this.

Can anyone here name one single product with those 3 simple requirements I stated above? It can be FPS, RTS, MOBA, MMO, MMORPG, Dancing/Sport, racing, or w/e game

Comments

• BaghoolBaghool Member CommonPosts: 118
    Try Age of Conan: Unchained if you haven't, lvl 80's have a ton of world bosses to hunt. ;)

"Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

ESO, Imperial City about to open.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

OP

Perhaps you can describe the "goals that matter to you" and we could continue from there.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by laserit

OP

Perhaps you can describe the "goals that matter to you" and we could continue from there.

Basically any goal that doesn't revolve around go fetch X quest, then Y quest which is just the same version of X quest, then wait for months on game to release the Z quest. Any goal with some thought and challenge not something that is a pure time sink like go clear all the mobs in that region or go explore all the parts in that region then get some achivement/feat that will absolutely not help my character in any way as well as most would care less about.

I like goals that offer glory, fame, respect. I like difficulty and unique individual experience based on unique choses I make with my character. I like risk and punishment for mistakes. I like where I have the opportunity to separate myself from others, where I'll be needed and demanded. I also dislike being forced to depend on weekly/daily lockouts or passive skill training like in EVE for example that would limit me how much I can play the game. I dislike also depending on certain individuals that might not even exist or be online in the game to continue progressing it.

Been searching for a good FPS shooter right now where the kills I do help me to purchase further things (like in Counter Strike for example) I'm aware it's repetitive in the long run, but at least it has some small community going on, where people watch you play and get excited when they see you on and on their team. Sadly, such game which can be sp cheaply made can offer far more action and entertainment, it is why I like to mix stuff.

I dislike competitive games like DOTA 2 or LOL mainly because they feel like back in my college years. Have to study all about certain maps, heroes and their abilities you play with or against....as well as which combinations work best. THere is just way too much studying and I am not that nerdy.

• BaghoolBaghool Member CommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Kopogero

OP

Basically any goal that doesn't revolve around go fetch X quest, then Y quest which is just the same version of X quest, then wait for months on game to release the Z quest. Any goal with some thought and challenge not something that is a pure time sink like go clear all the mobs in that region or go explore all the parts in that region then get some achivement/feat that will absolutely not help my character in any way as well as most would care less about.

I like goals that offer glory, fame, respect. I like difficulty and unique individual experience based on unique choses I make with my character. I like risk and punishment for mistakes. I like where I have the opportunity to separate myself from others, where I'll be needed and demanded. I also dislike being forced to depend on weekly/daily lockouts or passive skill training like in EVE for example that would limit me how much I can play the game. I dislike also depending on certain individuals that might not even exist or be online in the game to continue progressing it.

Been searching for a good FPS shooter right now where the kills I do help me to purchase further things (like in Counter Strike for example) I'm aware it's repetitive in the long run, but at least it has some small community going on, where people watch you play and get excited when they see you on and on their team. Sadly, such game which can be sp cheaply made can offer far more action and entertainment, it is why I like to mix stuff.

I dislike competitive games like DOTA 2 or LOL mainly because they feel like back in my college years. Have to study all about certain maps, heroes and their abilities you play with or against....as well as which combinations work best. THere is just way too much studying and I am not that nerdy.

Good luck finding that criteria in any of the games listed here. ;)

As I have requested, I need investors so such a realm might evolve! Muuuaaahhhaaahhh!!

"Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

OP

Real life?  Develop some desired skills and go make a name for yourself.  The reward for success is also better than any reward in any video game.  Video games are to waste time (while gaining some entertainment).  In the end, no one will really ever care how good you are at a video game unless you become a professional player and move to South Korea.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

OP

There nothing wrong with that criteria except for the difficulty to fulfill.

Seems you're looking for something with a mature minded player base. Although there are asshats in every crowd, the simulation community is about the most mature that I know of. Aviation is something that I've always had a strong interest in.

I have no idea if aircraft strikes your fancy. But if skill, realism and complexity fit your bill, you might want to check these out. It is something that will take you a long time to master.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/index.php

http://www.vrsimulations.com/tacpack.htm

I hope you find your game

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee