Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some positivity

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I remember when games used to be made (for the most part) by teams of a couple brothers using top-down graphics, sprites, and/or isometric views.  3d polygonal graphics were wireframe only, or at least untexturized.

Now the industry has exploded into people with college and advanced degrees working as units like they do on film sets, virtual reality right around the corner, not to mention a thriving indie scene.

Games including persistent virtual worlds are going on their second (or third) decade; "procedural generation", "sandbox", "player driven" are a part of the vernacular.  I can wander into countless, ongoing existences, encounter power structures that have been evolving for years and years, each having their own painstakingly written histories carved from the efforts of those that love the game.

I can sample the creative minds of individuals that generate experiences using tools which developers only dreamed of a decade ago, enriching my life through a plethora of dream-like adventures.  I can carry digital universes in my pocket wherever I go.

Man, what a time to be alive.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Comments

• SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100
    That's a great way of looking at things and I agree wholeheartedly. A friend of mine posted  a link to an article here a couple weeks ago covering a text based rpg we play called Avalon (www.avalon-rpg.com) - I mention it because you talk about power structures, ongoing histories, narratives, player-driven events etc that have been evolving for literally years and, well, Avalon is the longest running online RPG in history at almost 26 years non stop since 1989. Thought you'd like to check it out.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

I remember when games used to be made (for the most part) by teams of a couple brothers using top-down graphics, sprites, and/or isometric views.  3d polygonal graphics were wireframe only, or at least untexturized.

Now the industry has exploded into people with college and advanced degrees working as units like they do on film sets, virtual reality right around the corner, not to mention a thriving indie scene.

Games including persistent virtual worlds are going on their second (or third) decade; "procedural generation", "sandbox", "player driven" are a part of the vernacular.  I can wander into countless, ongoing existences, encounter power structures that have been evolving for years and years, each having their own painstakingly written histories carved from the efforts of those that love the game.

I can sample the creative minds of individuals that generate experiences using tools which developers only dreamed of a decade ago, enriching my life through a plethora of dream-like adventures.  I can carry digital universes in my pocket wherever I go.

Man, what a time to be alive.

This is why I now play EVE exclusively, I'm part of a history that spans back to 2007.  A corp I was a member of back in 2007 is not only still around but is a major nemesis of my current corp, and I recognized several players including their guild leader, still playing EVE, still wrecking havoc.

It's being part of a persistent world that really appeals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BaghoolBaghool Member CommonPosts: 118
    Like the a-bomb, or the repeating firearm, or the cannon. These are yet more technologies we neither need as a species, nor are we ready to possess them mentally.

"Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

As the saying goes when talking to a non-gamer: I don't have one life, I have many lives.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

No denying, games drive tech innovation in computers and now devices of all kinds. But where is this touch and talk power taking the human race?

I have seen the future, and it is a freight ship bound for Earth from Mars' smallest moon with Starbucks on the side.

But Earth is brown and green in all the wrong places...

"Investment firms do not have that outlook on life. They need to know there is not only a return on their investment but also a solid profit at the end of it." tawess-

Originally posted by Grunty

As the saying goes when talking to a non-gamer: I don't have one life, I have many lives.

Well done sir, quotable.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

All pussies do!

Sorry, sorry, just a joke, I couldn't help it, the setup was too sweet!

lol

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Well games do still get made by 1 or 2 people.  Just as early games were made by teams (though much smaller teams than nowadays.)

But that doesn't change the overall point that yes, things have improved.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Baghool

All pussies do!

Sorry, sorry, just a joke, I couldn't help it, the setup was too sweet!

lol

ROFL... +1 one to you sir, I had totally missed that.  image