Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the mmorpg scene now?

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I haven't played mmorpgs really for 2 years. Are there any prominent big releases in the last few years? Last I knew was RIFT maybe.
Thanks, in case I forget to come back to this thread.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Archeage, and Trove all released since then.

There are several Indie (ranging from low to high budget) sandboxes in the works.  Some of them are open as pay to alpha.  Others are years away.

I think that's most of the big names.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, TERA, Neverwinter Online and Defiance are handful more games that released after Rift had been out for sometime.

Edit: Nevermind, I got hung up on the Rift thing. Fairly sure all of the above are older than two years by now. As are some of the previous suggestions like GW2 and TSW.

Skyforge seems to be the biggest new title, and the western versions of Blade and Soul and Black Desert are getting close too.

Wildstar's also a big title, and meets the under two years mark.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by spades07

I haven't played mmorpgs really for 2 years. Are there any prominent big releases in the last few years? Last I knew was RIFT maybe.
    Thanks, in case I forget to come back to this thread.

The mmorpg scene has been following the same trend for a long time now.Every time a new game comes out ,websites hype it up to get in their advertising revenue and game hoppers buy them up like hot cakes.Then a months or two later everyone starts exiting those games they said were great.

Yes some new big releases FFXIV re-released,The Elder Scrolls imo that is about it,then a ton of indie games.Oh yes tons jumped on the recent Ark bandwagon but now i see those same people are not playing that and have jumped on a new bandwagon,seems that soccer game played with cars is the new flavor of the month.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Other than WoW, FF14 is the go to alternative for a sub themepark it seems.  It seems to be doing well.

Everyone else is scattered between the many many F2P or B2P games.

GW2

ESO (now b2p)

Wildstar (going F2P)

Tera seems to be doing well

Secret World is B2P with a small following

Trove seems to be doing well

and more

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

There's a MMORPG scene? Nobody told there was a scene. Why didn't someone tell me?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Here is how it is today.... choice A- hype years before launch, sell alpha founder's packs for ridiculous amounts of money, then sell beta packs, never come out of beta so you have an excuse when the game socks. or choice B- hype years before launch, sell alpha and beta access, then launch buy to play with sub, then drop the sub after a year and add in a non intrusive cash shop, then slowly turn that shop into a pay to win shop, wait for the whales to die out, then drop the box price and launch f2p with a massive experience grind but offer shortcuts like experience potions in the cash shops. and that pretty much sums up where mmorpgs are today.
  • spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

awesome - thanks.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    ESO. It's the new WoW. Seriously. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349

New MMO's never leave alpha and usually charge you full price to test them. They have cash shops before release. They are made by programmers with no proper education that can't get jobs working for real companies. They are funded by kickstarter but use terms like crowdforging to justify price gouging their backers long after.

We are all just sitting back and watching games like Pathfinder and Albion destroy the genre.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Here is how it is today.... choice A- hype years before launch, sell alpha founder's packs for ridiculous amounts of money, then sell beta packs, never come out of beta so you have an excuse when the game socks. or choice B- hype years before launch, sell alpha and beta access, then launch buy to play with sub, then drop the sub after a year and add in a non intrusive cash shop, then slowly turn that shop into a pay to win shop, wait for the whales to die out, then drop the box price and launch f2p with a massive experience grind but offer shortcuts like experience potions in the cash shops. and that pretty much sums up where mmorpgs are today.

Nailed it.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• ShankYOFoolzShankYOFoolz Member UncommonPosts: 7

The mmorpg scene has been following the same trend for a long time now.Every time a new game comes out ,websites hype it up to get in their advertising revenue and game hoppers buy them up like hot cakes.Then a months or two later everyone starts exiting those games they said were great.

Yes some new big releases FFXIV re-released,The Elder Scrolls imo that is about it,then a ton of indie games.Oh yes tons jumped on the recent Ark bandwagon but now i see those same people are not playing that and have jumped on a new bandwagon,seems that soccer game played with cars is the new flavor of the month.

Couldn't of said it better myself  " Flavour of the month " the mentality of the modern gamer is seriously frustrating

blast $20 , 40 , or 80 bucks on a title play for a month pack it away move onto the next hype train allllllllll... aboard!