Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haven't truly played a MMO in a while, honest suggestions?

richruzzrichruzz Member UncommonPosts: 20

Was thinking possibly go back to GW2 as long as the community is alive and well, or possibly since I just beat KotOR 2 I've been tempted to go back to The Old Republic Star Wars MMO (how is it? Only played a bit on launch.. but don't want to get into it if it's going to die and doesn't have a decent community or updates)

I also bought ESO on release so that's an option too, the one I really wanted to try is FFXIV but Verizon Fios/Quantum has a routing issue with that game and I'm not buying some rerouting program to fix that on top of the sub :/ (and it seems super duper grindy which isn't really my thing)

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

All of the titles you mentioned are fair picks. It comes down to personal preference.

You mention returning. If you played any of the games before, be honest with yourself about what you expect. Some say ESO is the most improved MMO since its launch, but still, it will be a very similar game to what it was. If you left because it didn't click with you, I don't think that will change.

For me, I got a little tired of the "massively" aspect of MMOs. I used to be a very competetive, endgame person. I got a little burned out. Lately I play them at my own pace, as single-player games with benefits. ESO fits that bill perfectly. SWTOR is also really nice for solo players due to the story.

FFXIV didn't click with me at all - it was very quest driven right from the start. Perhaps I got spoiled, but I can't be bothered to read through boxes of fairly meaningless text. I did it way too many times to care about the NPC that greets you and starts explaining they need you to deliver a letter somewhere.

If it is healthy community you are after, than any of the four MMOs you mentioned may be the best choices. Also WoW is still doing quite well if that is your thing (never really was my game).

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

i'd probably start with GW2..  no gear treadmill to scare you off if you've been gone for awhile

what is it you intend to do in the games? 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Considering the amount of drama surrounding the gw2 expansion the game still seems to have plenty of interest.

EA is reinvesting heavily in SWTOR due to the impending release of new Star Wars movies so I wouldn't feel bad about picking this one up.

ESO is by far the best MMO for large scale PvP.  If that's something you enjoy then I would really recommend checking out ESO.

I don't know what to tell you about FFXIV.  The story is top notch, the graphics are beautiful and the gear grind is real.  Yeah if you want to do dungeons/raids you need a halfway decent connection to move out of the red stuff in time.

• richruzzrichruzz Member UncommonPosts: 20
    REALLY enjoying ESO and SWTOR equally in different ways. I really hope SWTOR picks up with the new expansion and Star Wars hype since the way the story is structured is so much fun to play. And with ESO is a joy to play, not 50000 hotkeys to worry about either and quests aren't too bad but inferior to SWTOR but has better combat IMO.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by richruzz
    REALLY enjoying ESO and SWTOR equally in different ways. I really hope SWTOR picks up with the new expansion and Star Wars hype since the way the story is structured is so much fun to play. And with ESO is a joy to play, not 50000 hotkeys to worry about either and quests aren't too bad but inferior to SWTOR but has better combat IMO.

If you sub to SWTOR atm (I am myself), you will get 12x exp, credits, coms etc for every single main class quest.  I have leveled 3 characters from 1-60.  I did only the main class quest.  You basically leave the starter planet with a new character (if you only did the story quest) level 14-15.  It's an awesome move they are doing for the summer.  But, it ends in Oct.  

GW2 is also a great choice.  We mmo gamers are very spoiled nowadays with all the options we have.  I think some people forget that sometimes(not meant towards OP).