Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The time is now

HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Well in the current market EQ2 is hardly anything special.....buut if you ever wondered about the game the time is now.

atleast on stormhold there is a nice little community around the basic game, it wont give the original experience, but wont ever get any closer than this.

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Agreed .. great great time in EQ2 .. as the TLE servers have breathed life into this great game ../.. with many of the systems turned back to launch status (wish more were but they did all they could) They have hit a great balance of challenge and fun .. Norrath is buzzing with activity as Adventurers line up to accomplish great Deeds and Die once again on its soil .. dont miss your chance..
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    If i turned into a teenager again with nothing but time to play video games i would surely choose TL servers. But i dont have that kind of time. But good for those with much free time.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by mrneurosis
    If i turned into a teenager again with nothing but time to play video games i would surely choose TL servers. But i dont have that kind of time. But good for those with much free time.

Why would you need that much time for TL servers?  It's not as though EQ2 is any less of a casual oritend game than before.. This just gives people the opportunity to experience the early content the way it was meant to be done..... as much as possible at least.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

ofc a personal choice if youd spend your time on this, but this is as good a time waste as any - EQ2 never were extremely time consuming. and XP rate is higher than it was at launch - am already off the starter island, which I origianlly wasnt the first 4 days

Originally posted by ragz45

Why would you need that much time for TL servers?  It's not as though EQ2 is any less of a casual oritend game than before.. This just gives people the opportunity to experience the early content the way it was meant to be done..... as much as possible at least.

You are right .. but fore those do feel pinched for time . I believe in 3 weeks or so .. they will turning the xp up a bit ..

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Yep, having a blast on Stormhold.  I disagree about EQ2 being nothing special.  If anything, it's miles above anything that's come out since 2008 and it's getting better with age.  I truly think, that if WoW had not launched a month after EQ2, or at all, that EQ2 would be the reigning true king of MMORPGs.  

It just has everything.  Depth, exploration, crafting that matters, horizontal progression, raids, dungeons, pvp, contested dungeons, open dungoens, tons of lore, tons of real estate, housing and decorations for housing from furniture to trophies to pets.  Vast amounts of pets, mounts and collections/shinies.  Great music and sound effects, great graphics. Big meta game, classes are distinct and have tons of options with builds, tons of theorycrafting to be done, great community, excellent guild and guild hall systems.  Events and holidays and the devs interact daily with the community.  Just saw Holly Windstalker in general chat on Stormhold earlier today asking how everyone was enjoying the game.

I could probably list more but I think you all get the point, or you should.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

OK then I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Playing Dying Light right now. This will give me a chance to see how everything goes with EQ2, never believe an mmo with a cash shop is my saying !

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Oh how I loved this game. I loved the crafting , carpentry in particular and housing so much .Then I could have only one character selling on the account so I had to have 2 accounts and one had a house  and carpenter in Freeport and the other was in Qeynos and two guilds so I could get the guild furniture and bigger houses too. You could not trade between the factions then ,not sure if that changed.

I believe the correct attitude about cash shops is not to simply discard a game based on the existence of a cash shop but rather to study the cash shop and if it has any real influence in your game. If you are personally not affected by it I will generally ignore it. I have never been one to worry about cosmetics and as long as no great furniture is in a cash shop EQ 2 can have a cash shop and a sub and I will still play it.

What a wonderful game I loved the dungeons grouping and I healed so many times with a Fury and a Defiler in them and I enjoyed this game so very much in 2005-2007 after I had initially left after one month after it launched. When I came back they had removed the shared debt but the crafting was still very good . I immensely enjoyed making poisons too for my ranger it was I think the class that could also use poisons. I sold so much on the auction market with my carpentry and I bought rarer gems and resources to make those great furniture and in my guild I would beg them for a resource when we raided and since many knew about my crazy houses they gave it to me....loved my guild.

I have never come across as talented a bunch as those who posted on the Norrathian housing forum (I think it was called) that imagination that was so creative you simply have to see it to believe the things people did with their houses. I used to visit houses for ideas and I'd spend an obscene amount of time collecting those racial quest rewards that gave those wall mountable weapons. I had a whole wall on each of my houses dedicated to them. People would visit my house and send me a tell telling me my house rocked and if I could help craft them some stuff and I actually did some interior designing for other players and discuss ideas on the housing forums with other like minded individuals. I had lofts and dens I made with the high roofs and literally spend hours and hours rearranging furniture. What a glorious time I had.

I would love to go back but right now so little time have too many hobbies and housework so can only manage one game. I envy you guys who get to play. I wish I was you.

Chamber of Chains
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Is this EQ2 with the starter island and old Freeport and surrounding areas?

But I take it you'll have to pay for it to get access?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Yes it is subscription only.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I only got 1 question about the new Time Lock servers. Are people grouping up doing open world content? Is it tough to where things are better done if grouped? The #1 thing I hate about modern mmos are that its so easy you play the game most of the time alone and the only time you ever group is for instances. I miss the days when people would group up for the fun of it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The only mmo where i liked crafting. Made all the furniture in my two story house.
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    I only got 1 question about the new Time Lock servers. Are people grouping up doing open world content? Is it tough to where things are better done if grouped? The #1 thing I hate about modern mmos are that its so easy you play the game most of the time alone and the only time you ever group is for instances. I miss the days when people would group up for the fun of it.

yes.. shouts going out constantlyon the pq for example .. Antonica PQ  9 min start .. send tell for invite ..

non stop all zones occupied

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    When did these servers go live?  I saw a reference to a beta phase, are they "officially" live or are they still in the beta phase?
    Originally posted by Scorchien

yes.. shouts going out constantlyon the pq for example .. Antonica PQ  9 min start .. send tell for invite ..

non stop all zones occupied

I had just watched a YouTube video that pretty much gave me the info I am looking for. Listening to the guy and reading the game chat showed me that people are grouping.image

Ranger here I come.image

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Hedeon

Well in the current market EQ2 is hardly anything special.....buut if you ever wondered about the game the time is now.

atleast on stormhold there is a nice little community around the basic game, it wont give the original experience, but wont ever get any closer than this.

Awesome community on Stormhold. I only found out yesterday that the TLE was available and hopped in - loving every minute of it!

imageimage

...and yeah... the server is pretty crowded - lets hope it'll stay that way.

I am in game on the PVE server. Cant wait to run around Antonica and explore Black Borrow again.

IGN Vasto

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    One of my fav MMO's still drop in now and again as F2P, so tempted to re sub and join in!
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

I bought a month yesterday because of this thread and I am currently level 10. So far up to this point it's been VERY easy mode and solo friendly. I watch /ooc frequently and yes, there's alot of LFG calls but they're to 99% looking for people that are doing dungeons. I rarely ever see any calls for open world content groups.

We'll see how thing progress from here but I doubt open world will require groups. I also played EQ2 from when it once was released and this is nothing like it, at all. Not even close.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    So this version is Easy mode and not classic ?
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by delete5230

Level 12 now.

In my opinion xp has been slowed down significantly but the difficulty level of the mobs has not changed from "live" to this so called "classic". I'm currently fighting lvl 14-15 mobs. I think this is how they transformed live to what they call "classic".

What I remember from classic EQ2 when it released was that you could barely defeat a 1 arrow up opponent of equal level. Then you had to rest a little. I'm killing 1 arrow mobs 2 levels above me easily.

I should mention that I play a Necromancer. Maybe it's just easier for me because of that. I'll let you be the judge of that. :)

EDIT!

Oh btw, I saw my first bots yesterday as well. 4 level 8s parked outside the vampire village in Darklight Woods killing the Zombies that roam there. The Zombies are lvl 12-13ish.

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by delete5230

Level 12 now.

In my opinion xp has been slowed down significantly but the difficulty level of the mobs has not changed from "live" to this so called "classic". I'm currently fighting lvl 14-15 mobs. I think this is how they transformed live to what they call "classic".

What I remember from classic EQ2 when it released was that you could barely defeat a 1 arrow up opponent of equal level. Then you had to rest a little. I'm killing 1 arrow mobs 2 levels above me easily.

I should mention that I play a Necromancer. Maybe it's just easier for me because of that. I'll let you be the judge of that. :)

EDIT!

Oh btw, I saw my first bots yesterday as well. 4 level 8s parked outside the vampire village in Darklight Woods killing the Zombies that roam there. The Zombies are lvl 12-13ish.

As someone who played EQ2 at launch and for a few expansions I can tell you that the game never was hard in Open World content, until later levels. Everything lower was mostly soloable - besides the dungeons that they had. You should start to see more open world content shouts when you get a bit higher in levels. 

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Can i play a beastlord on those new servers?

Allways wanted to return to EQ2, but my laptop kept crashing over and over, and its the only game thats instable on my system, so much bad luck...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    NO! At launch you was barely beating a mob same level as you solo. You was resting after each fight with no healer. Granted I did not play every single class at launch, but as a warrior, I was scraping by each kill, but I LOVED IT!! I agree, if wow released a bit later or never, EQ2 would be dominating the MMO world right now. It offers so much you cannot even explain all the details it offers!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Do any of the TL servers have roleplayers on them?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!