Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 not a full game?

Grrar87Grrar87 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Ok is it just me or does this game feel like it's not a full finished game? Granted I am new but here are things I noticed as a new player that has me wonder why an expansion is coming out when the game out now doesn't feel done. 

1. Jeweler doesn't go up to full level like all other crafting 
  2. Legendary weapons, two handed sword has three, but all others only have one when two handed swords arnt even the most used.
  3. Most 5 mans are not skill based but just gear checks its all stack on each other and hope not to die. Whats the point of being ranged if in every 5 man being ranged is pointless? 
  4. No trading you can only use AH or mail
  5. When doing world bosses you must get there  at the same time as your guild or you wont be in the same map. Whats the point of it being a mmo if you can be locked out of a map that your friends are in for being one or two minutes late.

Like I said I am new, but I have played almost  all the MMO's out there and I have to say after all the hype I find the game to be kind of a let down end game. There is a big lacking in most parts outside of it's story. They do the story very well, but SWTOR did it FAR better IMO.

So what is it I am missing that makes this game ready for an expansion, it hardly feels fully done to me. It seems like the lack of damage meter is just to hid the  lack of balance in classes to me.  

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

GW2 always felt like half a game to me, mainly due to the lack of any meaningful progression. I always logged in wondering why I logged in to begin with.

Just my 2 copper

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by DMKano
    The conclusions that folks come up with never cease to amaze me.

WOW! That's really deep. I bet you have a headache after that one.

• Grrar87Grrar87 Member UncommonPosts: 26

It's not a conclusion, I am asking not stating. Why if it is a full game are  ranged classes not ranged,  there is not three legendary weapons for each weapon type, and why are not all crafting skills able to go to 400? These are things I would see in beta's of most other games, but this game has been out for 3+ years. 

I'm not trolling I really want to know. If a game came out today that had these issues people who bought the game would be in an up roar, but with this game being out for years and about to drop an expansion it has still yet to fix things that IMO should be done before the game is even released.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

why must all legendaries be the same?

as for the crafting i dont know anything about that since i never touched it.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425

Originally posted by carotid

No my headache comes from someone actually making a post that GW2 is not a full game.

I think I missed the rulebook that outlines what constitutes a "full game".

You shouldn't let people affect you so much.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Based on the number of features and things required for a full game, I think I'll just be over there enjoying the 1/14th of a game that I currently play.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Originally posted by carotid

No my headache comes from someone actually making a post that GW2 is not a full game.

I think I missed the rulebook that outlines what constitutes a "full game".

full game is a game with many DLCs about $10 each

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Grrar87

It's not a conclusion, I am asking not stating. Why if it is a full game are  ranged classes not ranged,  there is not three legendary weapons for each weapon type, and why are not all crafting skills able to go to 400? These are things I would see in beta's of most other games, but this game has been out for 3+ years. 

I'm not trolling I really want to know. If a game came out today that had these issues people who bought the game would be in an up roar, but with this game being out for years and about to drop an expansion it has still yet to fix things that IMO should be done before the game is even released.

people play for hundreds <> thousands of hours, its a complete game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Ok is it just me or does this game feel like it's not a full finished game? Granted I am new but here are things I noticed as a new player that has me wonder why an expansion is coming out when the game out now doesn't feel done. 

2. Legendary weapons, two handed sword has three, but all others only have one when two handed swords arnt even the most used.
    3. Most 5 mans are not skill based but just gear checks its all stack on each other and hope not to die. Whats the point of being ranged if in every 5 man being ranged is pointless? 
    5. When doing world bosses you must get there  at the same time as your guild or you wont be in the same map. Whats the point of it being a mmo if you can be locked out of a map that your friends are in for being one or two minutes late.

Like I said I am new, but I have played almost  all the MMO's out there and I have to say after all the hype I find the game to be kind of a let down end game. There is a big lacking in most parts outside of it's story. They do the story very well, but SWTOR did it FAR better IMO.

So what is it I am missing that makes this game ready for an expansion, it hardly feels fully done to me. It seems like the lack of damage meter is just to hid the  lack of balance in classes to me.  

1. Do watch videos on how to craft in Gw2. 

2. Greatswords are the most used weapons in game, as such they have 3 variations

3. That's player's choice. The game certainly does not enforce stacking or meta building. I've been doing dungeons with all sorts of crazy builds. You just need to find like minded people. I don't think the game should enforce a gamestyle. Currently, tricking the AI and stacking with maximum dps gets the job the fastest. Doesn't mean this is the only way.

4. Not game limitation but a design choice. This way, actually having gold matters. Plus they get to control the gold flow. Taxing each transaction at the AH and whatnot. 

5. Technical limitations. 

• KillSwitch69KillSwitch69 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I often run fractals with a healing warrior when things get hairy (range when it calls for it), even a burst AoE damage Guardian at times, meta builds are for snobs...well, that or if you're specifically farming something. I've been playing on and off since release and I still haven't done every thing in the game yet. Honestly, I feel as though GW2 spoiled me in terms of questing and a believable world. Sure, there are some things I wouldn't mind being tweaked, but to me it feels like a pretty fleshed out game (for the most part).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't worry Op you will find lot's of angry immature gamer's just because they don't like what you say about a game.

Truth is media drilled Arena net with questions from day 1 and their responses were laughable.EVERY last design decisions smells of cost cutting.

Now what they did release looks great,i know people that nearly wet themselves with joy on the looks of the game.However that is where it all ends.

IMO Arena.Net deserves a LOT of criticism because they did a ton of bragging right out of the gate.However all that bragging was just a smokescreen for what the game was lacking as asked by media.

I even question the simplest ideas like the Northern Wall,was that really there as a monument that blocked the Charr or was it a fast patch job for unfinished work or an idea that got quashed because the game was rushed.

I truly believe the game was rushed and likely decisions were made several months prior to release.I believe they came up with some marketing gimmick to release a half assed game "that still looked great" but spin it by laying claim that they would give many fast updates.

Some of those updates were lol and some were likely unfinished work that  they could spin into a positive vibe by claiming it was BONUS work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600

There is no gear tier.  So probably dont' make sense crafting level keep going up.

And for jewel crafting, it's probably because many of the content reward high tier jewels, and if jewel crafting can craft high tier jewels, people won't bother with those content.

You won't find highly organized raids in GW2 like in those other games.

Dungeon is actually quite technicle for speed runs, or 3 man, 2 man/ solo runs.  But usually dungeon is just too easy that there isn't much strategy.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Don't worry Op you will find lot's of angry immature gamer's just because they don't like what you say about a game.

Truth is media drilled Arena net with questions from day 1 and their responses were laughable.EVERY last design decisions smells of cost cutting.

Now what they did release looks great,i know people that nearly wet themselves with joy on the looks of the game.However that is where it all ends.

IMO Arena.Net deserves a LOT of criticism because they did a ton of bragging right out of the gate.However all that bragging was just a smokescreen for what the game was lacking as asked by media.

I even question the simplest ideas like the Northern Wall,was that really there as a monument that blocked the Charr or was it a fast patch job for unfinished work or an idea that got quashed because the game was rushed.

I truly believe the game was rushed and likely decisions were made several months prior to release.I believe they came up with some marketing gimmick to release a half assed game "that still looked great" but spin it by laying claim that they would give many fast updates.

Some of those updates were lol and some were likely unfinished work that  they could spin into a positive vibe by claiming it was BONUS work.

if you look for misery you do tend to find it.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

And that's why SWTOR had to do a last ditch effort by making the game "f2p" to keep the game afloat after their sibscribers left en masse.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Yuppers.  Notice how they have to qualify it.  Full Game, True Gamer, Real PVP, etc.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

1. The orginal crafting max level was 400 for all crafts. All crafts except for Jeweler got an update - but even if Jeweler got an update now it would barely be worth it because ascended rings drop like crazy.

2. Greatswords are the exception because it is the typical overlord hero weapon. There are 2 legendary greatswords which can be combined to create the third version. Btw from what I know, only the third version unlocks the achievement so this is the "real" legendary greatsword.

3. Dungeon elitists always want to stack - if you find that to be shallow and boring gameplay like I do then just find people who feel the same and play the way you want. (tl;dr: don't play with pugs but find friends ingame)

4. Design choice - Anet wants a 15% tax on all sales to draw money from the market. You can argue over this but it's not "unfinished"

5. Maps have a limit of 150 players  - takes a bit to fill up a map. So if you weren't able to join the map of your guild then it was not because you were just "one or two minutes late"

Harbinger of Fools
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

No offense, but you are indeed very ignorant about the game. I know you're trying to frame this as a question, but you may want to be careful of how you phrase things, because such a quote treads the line between trolling / baiting / etc. Assuming you are being genuine, here are your errors:

1) Base crafting is 400. ALL crafting professions go to 400 and have been that way since launch. Ascended crafting has been ADDED to the game post-launch, and the professions that apply have had their cap raised to 500. You'll notice that chef is also 400.

2) I'm not sure how this makes a game unfinished (having a couple more options of one weapon type). A LOT of classes use greatswords atm (Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Mesmer), but they are adding more legendaries for all weapon types, and the game has a lot of skins / effects for all weapon types as well. Some are just more popular than others.

3) This is the biproduct of having 3 years to min/max all the dungeons in the game. All MMOs have this problem, and even in traditional raid games like FFXIV you have bosses that have become essentially tank & spank. I'm not saying that GW2's bosses have the best mechanics (they definitely don't), but dungeons on release were much more of a cluster FK than they are now. If you are indeed new, then start your own bug with the phrases "all welcome / newb friendly" etc. I will be shocked if you actually can get a group to stack properly at below ~3k AP (achievement points). Else, I really have a hard time believing you are actually new to the game.

4) This was a decision made at launch. There are only a few ways in which gold actually leaves the economy (which is very important) and mail / posting fees are a huge part of that.

5) I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to with this. Most world bosses don't need to be done as your guild. There are a couple that need to be 'organized' (Triple Trouble / Tequatl / Vinewraith), but none need a full guild group to complete (and are often PUGed at this point), and that has nothing to do w/ the map lockouts. Maps are capped, and if you're fighting a boss that requires most of a map to be coordinated; logic dictates that you need to get the map populated with the right people as soon as possible. What most people do is a process called 'taxi-ing' which is pulling people into a (formerly) empty map. This has nothing to do w/ a game being finished or not, and other games with instances (which many of them do) have similar problems. The difference is that GW2 is one of the few that has world bosses people actually care about killing.

*** That said, there are a few aspects of the game that are definitely NOT finished. Mainly the personal story / instances, and the final boss fight (Zhaitan). Which are a shame. The rest of the game is kinda what it is. If you don't like it that's completely understandable, but that doesn't make it 'unfinished'.

GW2 has always been a game that functions differently from other MMOs. If you followed the hype expecting to play 'the next WoW' or another new MMO that plays like the old ones, you went in blindly and for the wrong reasons. GW2 is a game for people who don't like the core mechanics of most MMOs, and wanted something different.

• McLeetMcLeet Member UncommonPosts: 18

I do feel like some of your statements are either rushed or a bit of a stretch. I've not been to far into crafting to fairly gauge whether or not Jeweler as a whole feels complete. But for legendary weapons, I don't see why things need to be even to say that the game is complete. Look at World of Warcraft, as much as I hate to bring it up given how toxic the community can be here, the legendary weapons in that have never catered to every class equally. The developers end up giving rogues and amazing pair of weapons but leave the other classes out for an expansion, its annoying, but doesn't mean that the game is incomplete. Instead of saying that the game is incomplete, I'd say its simply a form of bias instead.

The 5 mans, I wouldn't even say its a gear check since gear is so easy to get. You can buy a full set of high stat gear for a measly couple of gold. From my experience, there is a bit of skill required and players need to stay active to make sure they can dodge and avoid attacks.

The "No Trading" part, I can agree there. I never understood the mentality of trading via mail or purely by Auction House. It does seem a bit unusual to have a game that doesn't utilize player to player trade, more so considering Guild Wars 1 featured it. 

As for your last point, I wouldn't really say that is related to an incomplete game but more so towards a technical limitation. If an instance is full, I actually find that to be a good sign, granted I would also prefer to be one of the people in that instance, quite frankly, technology has its limits.

Originally posted by Leon1e

1. Do watch videos on how to craft in Gw2. 

2. Greatswords are the most used weapons in game, as such they have 3 variations

3. That's player's choice. The game certainly does not enforce stacking or meta building. I've been doing dungeons with all sorts of crazy builds. You just need to find like minded people. I don't think the game should enforce a gamestyle. Currently, tricking the AI and stacking with maximum dps gets the job the fastest. Doesn't mean this is the only way.

4. Not game limitation but a design choice. This way, actually having gold matters. Plus they get to control the gold flow. Taxing each transaction at the AH and whatnot. 

5. Technical limitations. 

1. I did still doesnt reason why all skills dont go up to the same lvl

2. No they are not https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Weapon if you cant count one handed swords are used more

3. it's players choice to pick what weapon you want to use. But I'd love to see you not get kicked in a 5man if you dont stack. 

4. Ok this one is a good point and so I take it off the list.(thanks for making it and not trolling like most)

5. That is a BS reason for an MMO if you are in a group you should go to the same map.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, it´s just you. But dont worry, since you said you are new then im not surprised. Many people like to jump to conclusions without first acquiring enough knowledge about the things in question.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid
    OP, it´s just you. But dont worry, since you said you are new then im not surprised. Many people like to jump to conclusions without first acquiring enough knowledge about the things in question.

That is why I came here to ask not cuz I was jumping to conclusions, but cuz I wanted to know if there was something I was missing. You will never know if you dont ask, and before you say something smart ass like "google it" I did.  

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

It's not a full game.  You happy now?

Pointless discussion.  It is what it is.  Move along.

Originally posted by McLeet

I do feel like some of your statements are either rushed or a bit of a stretch. I've not been to far into crafting to fairly gauge whether or not Jeweler as a whole feels complete. But for legendary weapons, I don't see why things need to be even to say that the game is complete. Look at World of Warcraft, as much as I hate to bring it up given how toxic the community can be here, the legendary weapons in that have never catered to every class equally. The developers end up giving rogues and amazing pair of weapons but leave the other classes out for an expansion, its annoying, but doesn't mean that the game is incomplete. Instead of saying that the game is incomplete, I'd say its simply a form of bias instead.

The 5 mans, I wouldn't even say its a gear check since gear is so easy to get. You can buy a full set of high stat gear for a measly couple of gold. From my experience, there is a bit of skill required and players need to stay active to make sure they can dodge and avoid attacks.

The "No Trading" part, I can agree there. I never understood the mentality of trading via mail or purely by Auction House. It does seem a bit unusual to have a game that doesn't utilize player to player trade, more so considering Guild Wars 1 featured it. 

As for your last point, I wouldn't really say that is related to an incomplete game but more so towards a technical limitation. If an instance is full, I actually find that to be a good sign, granted I would also prefer to be one of the people in that instance, quite frankly, technology has its limits.

Right now I have 900(about ) AP like I said new, but I dont mean the game is not a full game cuz it lacks things to do. This game has a ton to offer. The part the bothers me is that many of their ideas that are implemented in to the game seem unfinished. So maybe I should of said unfinished game not full game.  

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

Personally I feel like GW2 has lots of content to offer - I've been playing it heavily since release and only really took a break towards the end. Same could not be said for most other MMOs I played recently.

You probably can't tell as you were not there since release (don't mean to come across as rude), but they actually added a lot of content regularly up until they announced the expansion. Each month we had a new set of events/zones to explore, which I think was a really nice feat.

To answer your points:

1. Crafting levels really are quite arbitrary. You have to view it in the grand scheme of things - one could argue that Cooking is the least useful discipline in contrast to others, as it does not contribute that much towards your gear. You could have a crafting discipline of 10 levels that would still offer more content than the other ones.

2. Legendary weapon was always meant as a one per weapon type thing. It is ridiculously difficult to obtain - it is that one thing you can go for if you really want to stand out. As such, I don't think you need to have multiple versions of it, especially considering it is nothing but a vanity item in the end. The three greatswords are more like variants of one weapon. Don't think it's a huge issue there are not multiple legendary weapons to choose from. The sensible thing would be adding different things besides legendary weapons you can go for. Legendary armor pieces perhaps?

3. It is true that stacking is often the most efficient approach to take. It is a byproduct of the fairly specific combat system. This never was an issue for me, as I played with friends and we usually played dungeons around the intended mechanics. I would say if you learn to play the game well, it is as easy (if not easier) than stacking - and it does not rely on equipment as much. I suggest you find likeminded people to play with.

4. It would take one developer a single afternoon to add trading. If it isn't there, it is a choice, not a half finished product.

5. The maps are instances and have a population limit. The game actually uses what you are suggesting - it reserves a few slots for friends of those in an instance. Even if it is full, switching an instance is as simple as clicking a button, so it is perfectly possible to play with your friends. The issue in that case is the fact that you are not in a super populated instance. What you are likely wishing for is inviting friends into a populated (full) instance - that by definition is not possible.

Anyway, I would call it one of the "new" MMOs with most content. It does not feel half finished at all - even leveling up your character to cap takes you through under 50% of the zones. The living story added pretty much another campaign (if not two) over the time the game was live, free of charge, which I thought was awesome.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Oh cool! A new definition to fight over.

I was getting rather bored with "It's not a sandbox" and "It's not an MMO"... thanks OP!

Now we just need a new sticky over at the pub: "Full game vs. not full game discussion"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED