Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance vs Firefall?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I'm actively looking for a FPS style MMO to play, and these two seem to be the run runners.  Is there a major difference between the two as far as quality, community, and activity go?  I really don't have the time to dedicate to playing both, so the answer of "they are both free, try both" doesn't really work with me.

What are you guys opinions on these two dark horse games?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Firefall blows Defiance away. The classes, the tutorials, the flying, everything is better.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Firefall blows Defiance away. The classes, the tutorials, the flying, everything is better.

Nahhhhh.

Defiance is good. Firefall story lasts 1 hour max. In Defiance your quests lead you from point to point.

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by AriesTiger

Nahhhhh.

Defiance is good. Firefall story lasts 1 hour max. In Defiance your quests lead you from point to point.

Someone clearly hasn't played Firefall in the last year....

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Keldor837
    Originally posted by AriesTiger

Nahhhhh.

Someone clearly hasn't played Firefall in the last year....

This is what I've heard.  From what I'm told the game has made massive strides in the last year....
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by ragz45

I'm actively looking for a FPS style MMO to play, and these two seem to be the run runners.  Is there a major difference between the two as far as quality, community, and activity go?  I really don't have the time to dedicate to playing both, so the answer of "they are both free, try both" doesn't really work with me.

What are you guys opinions on these two dark horse games?

I have played both Defiance and Firefall and I think you should try out Firefall first. Imho Firefall has a lot more content than Defiance in terms of the class systems, the group instances, and raids. I personally is a member of the largest clan on Firefall and it has been an exciting experience playing with the awesome community.

Furthermore, Firefall is about to go through a major update in the next few months that will overhaul some in-game systems, such as the equipment system. And of course more content will also be added.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for Defiance based on my experience there.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Neither game keeps my interest for more than a month or so at any one time.  I find Firefall more fun than Defiance and usually spend much more time in Firefall compared to Defiance. 

In the end Defiance doesn't have jump jets. Firefall does. Firefall is more fun.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Firefall

ArenaPvP will be dope af

I'd wait for Firefall changes soon though, defiance is ok played it a few times but FF has a special place in my heart.

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by kenpokiller

Firefall

ArenaPvP will be dope af

I'd wait for Firefall changes soon though, defiance is ok played it a few times but FF has a special place in my heart.

Let me guess, you're an engineer? No other class in any other game lets you be so lazy yet kill stuff lol.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would say the biggest difference is that Firefall feels like an Indie linear game more so than Defiance.However i found tidbits of interest in Firefall but i quit Defiance in the first couple hours i played.In Firefall you will see more of those small paths,lane ways to traverse while Defiance is more wide open.

They are both B rated games,neither does enough to want to play them for a long time.

Imo if you need a fps game that is busy right now,then Skyforge is your same old boring fps game.Hardly any of the fps games have any depth,so if all you want is to spam fps combat,that is likely your choice since it went free.

To show how weak the fps genre is ,i still go back and play Unreal or Quake even though very few people play them anymore.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    For me the combat, AI, graphics and story are far superior in Defiance... but it has rather limited content.  
  • booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289

FireFall was great during 0.6 - 0.8 now it's got a power curve so steep that any challenging content is funneled down to lvl capped areas.  Defiance is good because the power curve is not as steep as FireFall so you can go anywhere on the map and you would still need to dodge and weave enemy fire instead of soaking up all the dmg.  The UI in Defiance is not the greatest as far as navigation.  FireFall combat feels better and JETPACKS!!!  Questing is better in Defiance.

They are both free so all you are losing is some HD space.  Give em both a whirl, they are both decent titles for fps/tps MMOs.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Played both and I got way more hooked on Firefall.  Firefall has amazing core mechanics.  The controls and feel of your character are top notch.  I enjoyed them much more then Planetside 2 and Defiance.  With that being said, the developers at Red 5 consistently disappointed me with their lack of content, lack of game direction, and lack of communication.  Its like they had an amazing gem on their hands but had no idea what to do with it.  I'm guessing a lack of funding played a part.  I have not played the game in over a year and I heard it has improved, but i've moved on to other things for the moment.

Some games, I get very excited about and can't wait to log in.  Defiance, similar to Rift's mediocracy, did not give me that feeling.

All in all, I would recommend Firefall.