Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Trove: Trove Builds on Cube World’s Legacy

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It would be easy to take one look at Trove and dismiss it as a cutesy entry into the MMORPG genre that is increasingly hanging its hat on the term “voxel.” To do so, however, would be a mistake. It is no secret that Trove is inspired by Cube World from Picroma but instead of blatantly ripping off that indie flash in the pan Trion has spent the past two years developing Trove and has iterated it into something more.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Trove: Cube World's Legacy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182
    It would be easy to take a look at Trove and dismiss it if you could actually get a look at anything else than the queue screen...
  • ElElyonElElyon Member UncommonPosts: 219

I am LOVING Trove,

I have not been this addicted to a game since DAOC, I am not comparing this game to DAOC, they are nothing alike :)

I think what I like most about this game is how it feels so basic and easy but once you get to the the higher Uber levels it gets quite diificult.

My only complaint about this game is Trion, the company seems like amatures, the servers go down a little to often and there is usually a 30 to 45 minutes wait time just to get on the game. They say they added more servers but if they did it didn't change anything.

Its a free game so if you haven't tried it you really should!

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

game is not so easy as i though. 10 lvl dungeon boss kills me if no heal potions:/

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Trove is fun...but I'm honestly getting sick to getting news about it shoved down my throat. The game has technically been out for almost two years now (alpha in 2013, beta in 2014).

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

At least someone finally speaks it out, huge cudos to the author. Trove started as a direct Cubeworld ripoff. Trion has basicly stolen that idea from two people and developed it further on.

Tired of the constant denial and "nooo, trions made their very own game right from the start" bullcrap.

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Trove was inspired by Terraria and Minecraft primarily - the 2 original Trion devs that built the Trove engine said this in early interviews. They never played Cubeworld period.

Cube World was EVERYWHERE for awhile. People really forget how that game took over the gaming community for a month or so. I might actually be one of the few people who still love Trion, but the similarities between Trove and Cube World (especially when Trove was announced and was very feature limited) were pretty obvious. To deny there was no inspiration taken from Cube World in any way, that's kind of a stretch.

Yes, the two devs who created Trove may have pulled their inspiration from Minecraft and Terraria (this shows in the building aspect and some other design choices) and may have in fact never PLAYED Cube World... but they'd likely seen it and most definitely drew some inspiration from it as well.

And Cube World came out publicly first. So the comparisons are apt, even if Trove didn't directly rip them off.

• pudgybunnybrypudgybunnybry Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by Volgore

At least someone finally speaks it out, huge cudos to the author. Trove started as a direct Cubeworld ripoff. Trion has basicly stolen that idea from two people and developed it further on.

Tired of the constant denial and "nooo, trions made their very own game right from the start" bullcrap.

Except the author never called Trove out as a Cube World rip off.

• HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453

Originally posted by Volgore
    At least someone finally speaks it out, huge cudos to the author. Trove started as a direct Cubeworld ripoff. Trion has basicly stolen that idea from two people and developed it further on.Tired of the constant denial and "nooo, trions made their very own game right from the start" bullcrap.

Even if this were true it wouldnt matter because Trove isn't abandonware and is superior.

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234

Indeed. But I do think there were some inspirations drawn there. I know for a fact that Scott was playing Cube World for a time before Trove was announced. Again, I don't think it was a direct rip-off. It just took some inspiration from it :-)

Trion DEFINITELY improved upon the formula, that's for sure. Cube World was lacking in many ways. Trove is the little game that could and has been (up until recently) highly under-rated. Hence why it's in my Top MMOs you should be playing vid :-)

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm happy for Trion that people are enjoying this game. It just feels kinda suspicious they are getting so much hype from this website. Everyday there seems to be an article about Trove. I don't mind a few reviews here and there but this feels like some political campaign. Not to mention all the advertisements they have with Rift  which is cool with me. I'm just starting to feel like this game is purposely being shoved down our throats for some reason. Is it just me?

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    What exactly is Cube World?

• insanexinsanex Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by ceratop001
    I'm happy for Trion that people are enjoying this game. It just feels kinda suspicious they are getting so much hype from this website. Everyday there seems to be an article about Trove. I don't mind a few reviews here and there but this feels like some political campaign. Not to mention all the advertisements they have with Rift  which is cool with me. I'm just starting to feel like this game is purposely being shoved down our throats for some reason. Is it just me?

Um, because trove just came out of beta and officially released on July 9th? It's still news, especially since there isn't a decent competitor to Trove on the MMO market. I think it's fair to say that for at least a couple on months we'll see articles all over about trove just because people will be re-reviewing it after they get to spend some real time playing it.

-iX

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Trove was inspired by Terraria and Minecraft primarily - the 2 original Trion devs that built the Trove engine said this in early interviews. They never played Cubeworld period.

I don't believe that.  It looks almost identical to Cube World.  Rift copied WOW and Trove copied Cube World.  Considering Blizzard copies other games as well I don't see the big deal.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    So...how many Archeage players out there are giving Trion another shot?
  • matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Considering the Cubeworld dev disappeared off the face of the planet and hasn't updated his game in over a year, I don't have a problem with the origins of the game.  I don't play it, played alpha some and had issues with the game crashing my video driver when looking at item description windows so I haven't messed with it since then.  Trion support let my support tickets sit for up to 2 weeks and then gave me generic responses and then closed my couple tickets, so I'm not to hot on them as a company now.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by unclemo
    So...how many Archeage players out there are giving Trion another shot?

Me. Having fun with Trove.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by mistafist
    Considering the Cubeworld dev disappeared off the face of the planet and hasn't updated his game in over a year, I don't have a problem with the origins of the game.  I don't play it, played alpha some and had issues with the game crashing my video driver when looking at item description windows so I haven't messed with it since then.  Trion support let my support tickets sit for up to 2 weeks and then gave me generic responses and then closed my couple tickets, so I'm not to hot on them as a company now.

The Cube World developer posted something on Twitter recently or responded to an interviewer.  I can't remember which.  The summary of what he said was that he doesn't want to release anything until he feels it is ready, and he has a lot of work to do on the game before he will release anything.  Cube World is being developed by two people, so expect it to take a long time.

I don't see Trove as a ripoff, clone, or copy of Cube World.  They are different games, both inspired by Minecraft.  Trove has developed a lot more content for their game than Cube World has even promised to make.  

Also, expect delays in support when a game is first launching.  If your issue is petty, like a lost item that is easily replaced, you're only making it harder on Customer Service to handle the people who truly need assistance.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Trove is my favorite MMORPG OF ALL TIME!!

#TroveNation

• MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Kano is right. They never played cube world. Not convinced they heard of it either. Cube World has no legacy. Production stopped two years ago. I know he just broke silence but I don't by anything he said.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Do I see the makings of a new article? What games would you like to see be stolen and polished by another developer? :-) cubeworld rip off or not, Trove is better and it's fun, let's say some developer comes by and takes Trove now and makes it better and calls it Trive, guess what? I'll bepplaying Trive then.
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by TheHiveLeader

Cube World was EVERYWHERE for awhile. People really forget how that game took over the gaming community for a month or so. I might actually be one of the few people who still love Trion, but the similarities between Trove and Cube World (especially when Trove was announced and was very feature limited) were pretty obvious. To deny there was no inspiration taken from Cube World in any way, that's kind of a stretch.

Yes, the two devs who created Trove may have pulled their inspiration from Minecraft and Terraria (this shows in the building aspect and some other design choices) and may have in fact never PLAYED Cube World... but they'd likely seen it and most definitely drew some inspiration from it as well.

And Cube World came out publicly first. So the comparisons are apt, even if Trove didn't directly rip them off.

thats funny because I am an avid gamer who plays 20+ hours a week and follows the news feeds and forums of this site daily and I had never even heard of cube world until i played trove.  Whats more of the 10 people in my club world only 2 had heard of cubeworld and they all play more than me.  Trove is reaching a far larger audience than you think.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Do I see the makings of a new article? What games would you like to see be stolen and polished by another developer? :-) cubeworld rip off or not, Trove is better and it's fun, let's say some developer comes by and takes Trove now and makes it better and calls it Trive, guess what? I'll bepplaying Trive then.

agreed this is like when people argue about whether world of warcraft ripped off everquest and whether games are wow clones or not.  The point is dumb, everyone takes ideas from other games.  Whats important is whether they take those ideas and build something that feels new and better or not.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Cube world and Trove may look the same but they are absolutely nothing alike.  If you've played both you know that trove is a much more shallow RPG experience than Cube world.

With 0 emphasis on building, Cube world is %100 about the exploration/combat/progression.  In Trove it is a 10-15 minute a day romp through maps that never change, whereas cube world is procedurally generated and every time you go into a different "world" everything changes.  More akin to minecraft in that regard.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

What many people have issues with in Trove

Personally I agree, I've only hit "gear score"(Because that is what it is) 35, and I've already done everything there is to do. Jumping is still way too overpowered, class balance is abysmal, and Emblems are biggest power boosts in the entire game, yet the only come from the Cash Shop.

Personally I prefer Cube World, had a much more skill based combat system, rather than a stat based one. Also Cube World's Ninja was a thousand times better than Trove's Neon Ninja.