Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@ Daybreak Games, now that Smed's gone....

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

Smed and Russ have been in charge of the company since they started Verant together. Other than Smed taking a much needed break and a less visible role, nothing (in terms of how the company is run) is really changing.

They went to high school together, and they've been business partners for more than 20 years. This isn't at all like bringing in a professional CEO, or the board of directors purposely appointing a successor to change things. Smed and Russ have had a longstanding collaborative relationship since the beginning, and that's never changed. Smed was always the public face, but the two always led together.

Nothing will change.

Speaking of EQN in the article you can read (The company is preparing to release a new EverQuest game that has fans of that classic franchise excited.)

so no it is not cancelled or postpone.

Would be funny in the end of Russ and Smed just switched jobs. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Yes , John Smeadley is still at Daybreak Games.

Actually read the title, it does not say he has left the company.

Well, Brad Mcquaid stayed on at SOE in an unspecified role too, but was never heard from and was gone without fanfair.  This is corporate speak and Smed is done.

Unfortunately it is a few years too late to make any real difference.  I doubt there are many real decisions left that can be made which will have any significant effect on how the company or projects rebounding.

Though getting rid of Smed is at the very least a positive step. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Like I said, I'm not following closely. In the case of EQN and other games with launch dates that seem to be years away, I rely on "news headline" events for updates. I can't even remember when the last one of those appeared specifically for EQN.

Are you talking about EQN-specific updates and newsletters, or are you talking about Landmark ? There's supposed to be some crossover, I know, but they are billed as two separate games.

There is a lot of landmark information that is being presented as "EQN" information by fans.

essentially the situation is:

Landmark represents all the team really has for either project.  EQN only exists as a concept right now. 

All things considered it looks like the project has stalled.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

my fear is the following

lead designers and other important eqn people - gone

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

it seems all the major component of the original game are vanishing... my fear is that while we will see "A" eqn it wont be "THE" eqn that was originally announced...

Even if nothing changed and SoE was still today as it was before Daybreak, with story bricks and all personnel - they still wouldn't have been able to deliver the game as originally promised.

This was NEVER doable, all games start out as a pie in the sky in pre-alpha and then features get cut until its brought down to something actually attainable within the time and budget constraints.

Can't say all games start this way.  CU is a perfect example, that started with a logical plan.  Progressed forward, and have not cut a single promised feature to date.  If anything they have added several features to the game that were not originally promised. .... and by added I mean that they are actually working in game, not just an idea or concept.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

smed will not stay - hes done... do you really think a ceo would step down from his position and then take another job in the same firm instead of moving on to another firm? tihs doesnt happen - due to several reasons

a) why would the company keep him? a demotion is the most demotivating thing for an employee and you wouldnt want to keep such employees - thats why in 99% of the cases companies fire people instead of demoting them

b) he would reduce his own market value for future positions and admiting failure - this is from an ego perspective as well as from a job tactical position very unlikely

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

smed will not stay - hes done... do you really think a ceo would step down from his position and then take another job in the same firm instead of moving on to another firm? tihs doesnt happen - due to several reasons

a) why would the company keep him? a demotion is the most demotivating thing for an employee and you wouldnt want to keep such employees - thats why in 99% of the cases companies fire people instead of demoting them

b) he would reduce his own market value for future positions and admiting failure - this is from an ego perspective as well as from a job tactical position very unlikely

Unless, of course, he really did initiate this and stepping down was his own idea... I know, I know, it's a stretch.

When people request a demotion themselves they usually already have an idea of what other thing they want to do and part of the sales job to his bosses is selling them on both ideas. This does actually happen from time to time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

He probably secured his own golden parachute and thats whats happening now, hes jumped the plane.  Doubt he'll be back.

If you look at the brand name of SOE/Daybreak,  its been really hurt by this man and I can only hope all the games that were closed down on people without getting an update get started back up and given new development for modern games.  Just look at all the people who wanted EQ Next and got crapped on because of this marketeer.

From EQOA to Galaxy's to Vanguard to every RPG style game made by SOE,  by not being updated or remade or getting sequels as the technology gets more modern is a shame that they were closed down and not given the TLC they deserved that would be necessary to keep RPG's at the forefront of the marketplace.

Originally posted by Iselin

Unless, of course, he really did initiate this and stepping down was his own idea... I know, I know, it's a stretch.

When people request a demotion themselves they usually already have an idea of what other thing they want to do and part of the sales job to his bosses is selling them on both ideas. This does actually happen from time to time.

With it not being a CN putting someone in the CEO position and his best friend Russ filling his shoes. I think this well maybe what happened. Its anyones guess at this point.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

my fear is the following

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

it seems all the major component of the original game are vanishing... my fear is that while we will see "A" eqn it wont be "THE" eqn that was originally announced...

^Everything points to it turning out like that, yeah.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by DMKano

my fear is the following

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

Even if nothing changed and SoE was still today as it was before Daybreak, with story bricks and all personnel - they still wouldn't have been able to deliver the game as originally promised.

This was NEVER doable, all games start out as a pie in the sky in pre-alpha and then features get cut until its brought down to something actually attainable within the time and budget constraints.

well but those features were kinda the core foundation of the game and what they wanted to do "differently" - if it wasnt doable from the beginning im not sure they would have presented them so prominantly...? they have to do something different - im sure columbus knows if they just bring an update on eq2 the game will flopp in the mid term...then again - i dont know how their planned budget looks like but i doubt its something like eso's 200m?

if they completly changed the direction the game was going into (what im kinda thinking) im just wondering that they dont release some more infos to get a feel from the community...

No, they were core features of the sales pitch.  If they were ever actually coded into the core of the game it would be there unless it was so bad  that they removed it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

I still hope this never gets released.

It would simply piss on the name that is Everquest. Even worse IF it was done like "promised". Just scrap the game, really. Do a proper EQ, or don't call it EQ. Seriously all started by transforming Firiona into a damn ranger,...

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

It would simply piss on the name that is Everquest. Even worse IF it was done like "promised". Just scrap the game, really. Do a proper EQ, or don't call it EQ. Seriously all started by transforming Firiona into a damn ranger,...

well i loved everything about the eqn pitch so....

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Smed is the Ramsay Bolton of SOE/Daybreak. It really doesn't matter what happens in future episodes, he has already ruined the show.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

No harm in playing that game you got promised then, just don't call it Everquest. On the other hand: There are plenty of games like EQN. You may have less cartoony grafics, but destructable terrain and action combat for a controller? We got that covered all over the place.

Simply don't do a SEQUEL to a series if you change the GENRE of said series. Check out Sacred 3 on why that pisses off people. Not everyone does all the research to make sure they don't get screwed over. If the name suggests a sequel, people usually think it is a sequel and not something totally differend with a known name attached to attract some more people by tricking them into buying.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wasn't EQN supposed to be a reimagining of the franchise? So, EQN is not a "SEQUEL," not EQ3. That would be like saying the movie The Amazing Spiderman is a sequel to Spiderman 3...
    Originally posted by Blaedus
    Wasn't EQN supposed to be a reimagining of the franchise? So, EQN is not a "SEQUEL," not EQ3. That would be like saying the movie The Amazing Spiderman is a sequel to Spiderman 3...

Now think about that futher. Think about The Amazing Spiderman,... think about how well it would be recived if it was a dating show with paid actors that look like freshly taken from a random street, and not a superhero movie anymore.

THAT is what EQN is. A completly differend genre that has NOTHING in common but the name. It is no reimagining, it is a differend game alltogether.

No harm in playing that game you got promised then, just don't call it Everquest. On the other hand: There are plenty of games like EQN. You may have less cartoony grafics, but destructable terrain and action combat for a controller? We got that covered all over the place.

Simply don't do a SEQUEL to a series if you change the GENRE of said series. Check out Sacred 3 on why that pisses off people. Not everyone does all the research to make sure they don't get screwed over. If the name suggests a sequel, people usually think it is a sequel and not something totally differend with a known name attached to attract some more people by tricking them into buying.

People said the same thing about EQ2 =-) 

Now think about that futher. Think about The Amazing Spiderman,... think about how well it would be recived if it was a dating show with paid actors that look like freshly taken from a random street, and not a superhero movie anymore.

THAT is what EQN is. A completly differend genre that has NOTHING in common but the name. It is no reimagining, it is a differend game alltogether.

This is far from true. Many of the same areas from EQ1 and EQ2 are in EQN, many of the same classes (play different but so does EQ2 and EQ1 differ in that way) Much of the lore is the same with its own twist. Cant retell a carbon copy of the lore or whats new to tell. Dont get me wrong, I wish EQN had a old school trinity combat but there is enough here to call it an EQ game.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Pretty crazy people then. EQ2 was only a shadow of what EQ used to be, true. But it was still the same genre.

Possible to argue that they did change a little too much, but it was still a RPG and not a first person hack and slash where everyone can be everything at their will, simply by clicking a button.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Well.. You will always have EQ2 (Eq1 will by all accounts be shut down soon... But that is life) so you do not need to switch to this new game. 

But here is the thing. DBG do not want to bet on a ancient system with ancient mechanics to pull them through the coming years. So they instead do what they have always done... Innovate and move forward. 

Like it or not... But you are not the intended customer... You have your legacy games. They are looking for new customers. 

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

Well.. You will always have EQ2 (Eq1 will by all accounts be shut down soon... But that is life) so you do not need to switch to this new game. 

But here is the thing. DBG do not want to bet on a ancient system with ancient mechanics to pull them through the coming years. So they instead do what they have always done... Innovate and move forward. 

Like it or not... But you are not the intended customer... You have your legacy games. They are looking for new customers. 

Huh?

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Well seeing as smed isn't really leaving daybreak, I hope they just put him to work scrubbing the toilets, seeing as that's what he deserves.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Originally posted by tawess

Huh?

Same here, huh??? EQ1 is not going to be shut down anytime soon... Do you just say random things for the heck of it or, ???, lol

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Pretty crazy people then. EQ2 was only a shadow of what EQ used to be, true. But it was still the same genre.

Possible to argue that they did change a little too much, but it was still a RPG and not a first person hack and slash where everyone can be everything at their will, simply by clicking a button.

Q Q!  The hunmanity!  They've named a game something I don't think it should be named!  WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously.  QQ moar. 

Originally posted by Kajidourden

Q Q!  The hunmanity!  They've named a game something I don't think it should be named!  WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Seriously.  QQ moar. 

You seem to have missed my point.

I could not care any less about EQN or its name. From the moment i played Landmark i knew that i am not going to touch EQN.

I simply HATE it if a company tries to trick people with these dirty tricks. You can deny it as much as you want, but if the game gets released there will be FLOODED boards with people that bought it because of the name and the expectations they got, simply due to the name. Not everyone has the time or even wants to research games years before they hit the market you know?

Even worse that these dirty tricks get accepted by the community. Really sad about this. Not about the game. Ill just pass and hop around the games i like more.