Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

@ Daybreak Games, now that Smed's gone....

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

What's going on with Everquest Next? Throw us a bone already... 

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

my fear is the following

lead designers and other important eqn people - gone

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

it seems all the major component of the original game are vanishing... my fear is that while we will see "A" eqn it wont be "THE" eqn that was originally announced...

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

my fear is the following

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

it seems all the major component of the original game are vanishing... my fear is that while we will see "A" eqn it wont be "THE" eqn that was originally announced...

Even if nothing changed and SoE was still today as it was before Daybreak, with story bricks and all personnel - they still wouldn't have been able to deliver the game as originally promised.

This was NEVER doable, all games start out as a pie in the sky in pre-alpha and then features get cut until its brought down to something actually attainable within the time and budget constraints.

well but those features were kinda the core foundation of the game and what they wanted to do "differently" - if it wasnt doable from the beginning im not sure they would have presented them so prominantly...? they have to do something different - im sure columbus knows if they just bring an update on eq2 the game will flopp in the mid term...then again - i dont know how their planned budget looks like but i doubt its something like eso's 200m?

if they completly changed the direction the game was going into (what im kinda thinking) im just wondering that they dont release some more infos to get a feel from the community...

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

I personally don't think daybreak can get basic gameplay functions working in their stupid voxel world, and there is no way Columbus is going to keep funnelling money into the toilet. I'd say they would start over but that'd be like the 20th time and I'm pretty sure Columbus doesn't like that option either.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

my fear is the following

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

Even if nothing changed and SoE was still today as it was before Daybreak, with story bricks and all personnel - they still wouldn't have been able to deliver the game as originally promised.

This was NEVER doable, all games start out as a pie in the sky in pre-alpha and then features get cut until its brought down to something actually attainable within the time and budget constraints.

well but those features were kinda the core foundation of the game and what they wanted to do "differently" - if it wasnt doable from the beginning im not sure they would have presented them so prominantly...? they have to do something different - im sure columbus knows if they just bring an update on eq2 the game will flopp in the mid term...then again - i dont know how their planned budget looks like but i doubt its something like eso's 200m?

if they completly changed the direction the game was going into (what im kinda thinking) im just wondering that they dont release some more infos to get a feel from the community...

Smedley has a habit of promising the world and not delivering.

That reputation he has is not made up, he earned it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Gyva02

What's going on with Everquest Next? Throw us a bone already... 

Because Smeds been given time off doesn't mean that the stand leader is going go all out on EQN. 

Storybricks have gone and the game hasn't progress since last year or we haven't seen anything that suggest otherwise. 

EQN is the same as it was 36 hours ago. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

my fear is the following

ceo - gone

story bricks - gone

Last info on this subject from the EQN staff was, "We are making the same game with the same features, if that changes we will let you know" They also said all work done on the AI system with Storybricks staff they retained, their AI systems are not starting at ground zero because they let them go. They said only thing thats changed is they are continuing the project in house. So yes they are making the same game, they are even now hiring so things are becoming more stable. Only question is, can they pull it off? Im guessing we wont know that for a while. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

is there anyone responsible for Everquest franchise actually remaining in that company?

It looks to me that Everquest is dead and all that remains is a stranger company (Nova) possibly planning on using the name as a cash grab in the future, or just kill the whole thing completely. This is just a gut feeling i've had since SOE became Daybreak.

Originally posted by rojoArcueid

is there anyone responsible for Everquest franchise actually remaining in that company?

It looks to me that Everquest is dead and all that remains is a stranger company (Nova) possibly planning on using the name as a cash grab in the future, or just kill the whole thing completely. This is just a gut feeling i've had since SOE became Daybreak.

With Smed "Stepping down" (I dont think so more like told to) it does not look good again =-) Will be interesting to see if the new person taking the lead will do better then Smed or crash and burn. Much is riding on this and makes me wonder if any more sweeping changes will happen once the new CEO is named. 

Yes , John Smeadley is still at Daybreak Games.

Actually read the title, it does not say he has left the company.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Question is after his short break, what roll will he fill? H1Z1 team? EQN? Will he even be in management? 

• TimesplitTimesplit Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Smedley is not entirely gone, unfortunately. He'll still have some influence in some other role for Daybreak.
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Question is after his short break, what roll will he fill? H1Z1 team? EQN? Will he even be in management? 

I think anyone who really thinks Smed has gone is delusional. When he comes back I think he will be just as powerful all be it with a different title. 

It just shows how mmo gamer are conned time and again. Even now people on this forum are not reading what the title says. 

Smed is still at DBG and has taken a break, he will return. 

I think anyone who really thinks Smed has gone is delusional. When he comes back I think he will be just as powerful all be it with a different title. 

It just shows how mmo gamer are conned time and again. Even now people on this forum are not reading what the title says. 

I am not sure. After getting a demotion I am not sure I would stick around myself. Pride comes to play in this and normally A type personalities have that in buckets. Will he be able to swallow a lesser job? Will he like how his peers look at him or how he thinks they are looking at him? I hope he lands on his feet, Im a fan of who he is. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing to be concerned about. Smed was more interested in H1Z1 and PS2 than their other games (DCUO is their most profitable game might I add) and drew a lot of unwanted attention to himself over the years. He was replaced by the current COO of the company who have been around for over 15 at SOE (he was CTO at some point as well).

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Maybe now they will turn EQN into something that isn't Disney garbage and cut the Neverwinter combat and cheesy flips while they're at it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Well, I admit I'm not following EQN closely, but it feels like there's less and less EQN-related info coming out of the team. It's almost like the project went dark.

Are they trying to de-hype the title before quietly canning it ?

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Well, I admit I'm not following EQN closely, but it feels like there's less and less EQN-related info coming out of the team. It's almost like the project went dark.

There is updated every 1-2 weeks. Even had a letter about where things are with the game a few weeks ago. Reg twitch stream showing concept art and buildings being made for the game. We been getting reg lore updated and free ebooks being released every few months. Far from being dark =-)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

There is updated every 1-2 weeks. Even had a letter about where things are with the game a few weeks ago. Reg twitch stream showing concept art and buildings being made for the game. We been getting reg lore updated and free ebooks being released every few months. Far from being dark =-)

Like I said, I'm not following closely. In the case of EQN and other games with launch dates that seem to be years away, I rely on "news headline" events for updates. I can't even remember when the last one of those appeared specifically for EQN.

Are you talking about EQN-specific updates and newsletters, or are you talking about Landmark ? There's supposed to be some crossover, I know, but they are billed as two separate games.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

From what we "know" JS hasn't gone he is going to do a different - unspecified - job.

Also worth pondering whether his previous role still existed. A few years ago when SoE had multiple studios and getting on for 1,000 staff sure; with all the cuts in recent years and a staff down to 200s you don't need a "CEO" - especially when the company is privately held.

In a large company that number of staff could simply be a "department". With a department head providing focus and - possibly - doing task related work.

So its possible that JS may be heading back to his roots - probably on EQN.  

Whether this will help EQN - shrug. Sure they have talked about releasing the same game but they also talked about releasing this year, and releasing in 2014 and ... stuff happens; things change; c'est la vie. As / when / if it releases people can decide.

What is absolutely certain is that its a tough market.

Like I said, I'm not following closely. In the case of EQN and other games with launch dates that seem to be years away, I rely on "news headline" events for updates. I can't even remember when the last one of those appeared specifically for EQN.

Are you talking about EQN-specific updates and newsletters, or are you talking about Landmark ? There's supposed to be some crossover, I know, but they are billed as two separate games.

EQN is being built in Landmark. EQN has its own twitch stream and it shows all the things in Landmark being built for EQN. Im a tester in Landmark and things like combat are also being tested in the game. Not many are happy with the current combat iteration. The dev team has said combat is a big focus right now and I hope to see some real updates on that in the next few months. Right now all updates on Landmark is not about the Landmark core game and that has Landmark fans upset =- Any update going into Landmark now will only be for things they need to build EQN. We were promised last year we would be getting the AI system to play with in Landmark to help develop it for EQN but soon has turned into 1/2 a year. EQN team has said most of what they are doing is RD and slowing them down. 

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    FEAR!!???? This shows me there is hope that they will SCRAP the JUNK that they started and make a REAL EQ!
    Originally posted by bentrim
    FEAR!!???? This shows me there is hope that they will SCRAP the JUNK that they started and make a REAL EQ!

What I wouldnt give to see EQN turned into a trinity game, old school trinity. Tank, Support, CC =-) 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

so you are asuming people dont read the title or whatever.... I know he is still at DB. Im not talking about DB, im specifically talking about the future of the EQ franchise with Columbus Nova at the wheel and little-to-no influential EQ people behind it anymore. Yes, Smed took a "break", but after all that's happening with him, Lizzard Squad, and DB's games, only Columbus Nova knows where Smed will come back to the EQ franchise at all.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Smed and Russ have been in charge of the company since they started Verant together. Other than Smed taking a much needed break and a less visible role, nothing (in terms of how the company is run) is really changing.

They went to high school together, and they've been business partners for more than 20 years. This isn't at all like bringing in a professional CEO, or the board of directors purposely appointing a successor to change things. Smed and Russ have had a longstanding collaborative relationship since the beginning, and that's never changed. Smed was always the public face, but the two always led together.

Nothing will change.

Speaking of EQN in the article you can read (The company is preparing to release a new EverQuest game that has fans of that classic franchise excited.)

so no it is not cancelled or postpone.

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~