Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: John Smedley Steps Down as CEO of Daybreak Game Company

Comments

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by DelCabon

Way overdue. Never understood how someone with his temperament was the manager of anything. Kudos he made it as far as he did but it was inevitable that he would be the instrument of his own undoing.

Yeah. Weird how they would allow a man who has made them billions of dollars to stick around despite having a big mouth. It's almost like they're in business to make money, not friends.....
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by observer

Can't blame him.  Just look at some of these comments on here.  Nothing but hate and vitriol.  If you don't like the games, fine, but why attack the people that make them?  I wonder if these same people attack employees who make their clothing, appliances, or cars.  I seriously doubt it, but when it comes to video games, they get emotional and hateful.  It's quite strange.

edit: i should clarify, not really these comments here, but everywhere else too.

Some of these guys ARE reprehensible skunks, and get away with a lot less vitriol than they deserve.   Granted, others not so much.   Not sure about Smedley per se, but I'll ask my friends who worked there about him, next time  I see them.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Looks like phase 2 of the 4 phases I listed months ago about the sell off of SOE  has come to pass.

Just 2 more and The Studio Formerly Known As SOE will be gone for good.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This will not be on the up n up.

This is likely Daybreak execs stepping in and trying to quell some of the anger away from their company.

Smedley is a magnet for anger and Daybreak i think is just finding this out now lol.

FAKING that he is no longer CEO and taking some other position won't stop him from rampaging Twitter.

Daybreak is simply not going to be able to hide from the Smedley curse.

Personally i wish it were all true and Smedley is gone forever but no way is he stepping away from such a cushy job that likely carries a large salary and bounses.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

The success they've had with games Smed has lorded over seems to have been less because of him, and more despite him. 

I have a suspicion that it wasn't lizard squad that got him, err, re-assigned, but rather is own big fat mouth. Complaining about the light sentencing was stupid and inappropriate for a CEO, but that's just spin-fodder. The "I'm coming for you" threat on the other hand... Yeah, not a good move moron. 

Anytime a company official starts publicly posting statements that can be construed as a threat, their time is numbered, and it's usually a very small number. (Best to get rid of them before any possible lawsuits pop up so the company can immunize themselves and say it wasn't us, it was that idiot we canned.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Personally i wish it were all true and Smedley is gone forever but no way is he stepping away from such a cushy job that likely carries a large salary and bounses.

Well.. I have heard from others that once the life and safety of family members comes under fire. People tend to change they outlook on things. And as i understand it apart from going after Smed at DBG there was threats delivered to his person too (beyond the bomb-scare) and the bomb-scare it self i think put things in to a new perspective for him. A wake-up call that the old lines no longer matter, that cyber-bullies and wannabe-terrorists have no problem going well beyond reasonable over the slightest challenge.

Being a CO for a game company is quickly becoming anything but "cushy"... Not that leading a company is particularly cushy to begin with (sure compared to being a health care tech or working garbage disposal it is.. but on the other hand the garbage man never need to worry about 2-300 peoples potential employment)

This have been a good conversation

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    To tell you the truth if my family becomes a target I would probably resign too. The bomb scare ,the swatting ,the grave desecration and threats to his family were despicable acts and the fact that it succeeded even  more disturbing.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by cheyane
    To tell you the truth if my family becomes a target I would probably resign too. The bomb scare ,the swatting ,the grave desecration and threats to his family were despicable acts and the fact that it succeeded even  more disturbing.

Kind of like this..

I don't like Smed one bit but him speaking out against their crimes was the first time I ever sympathized with him.

And now out of all the things he ever said that was the very stuff that makes him vanish from the scene.

Harbinger of Fools
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

What has happened here is what commonly happens in the business world when a new owner acquires a company.    Once under new ownership the status quo is maintained for a while, cuts happen to parts the new owners deem ineffective and then once things steady out from that and the new owners are ready to invest in their new company, they want new leadership in place.

After all, if you are going to throw money at some one, most people would rather do it at some one they can rely on.

The whole script kiddie thing is likely just a coincidence.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

This could be the best news for the MMORPG genre in over a decade. Smedley was key in adding cash shops to all their games, and insisted F2P was the future. As far as I know, he was instrumental in taking a shit on Everquest Next's design...

Perhaps without him, if EQN ever actually happens, it might be good... Or the damage could already be done.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Never had a problem with Smed the CEO but dude dug his own grave when he threatened to go after the kids parents.

Kid was old enough to be prosecuted as an adult and be held liable for his own actions. Threatening the kids parents was just a malicious threat on an innocent party.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    "John will be taking some time off for the near term and transition to another appointment in the near term" That's not John leaving the company that's a person having time off.

Get some rest John then come back fresh.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I have hardly ever had a good word for Smedley but you cyber attack a guy's company because he said something you did not like?

It just shows how childish these groups are, they behave like they are still in school.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Good riddance. This guy has been the main reason so many good games have died at the hands of $oE. Everquest, SWG, and many others were great games run into the ground by bad management and poor business decisions. I think this was the plan right after Sony sold off the company anyway. They didn't want to completely clean house the first week so they let him stay on until the transition was over. So many people at $oE were just sitting around drawing bloated salaries and producing nothing. EQN is nowhere and H1Z1 is just a quick cash grab off of other peoples ideas. I don't have much hope for EQN but I hope they prove me wrong and put out something worthy of the name. 
  • ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

He looks so much like Varys from HBO series the Game of thrones, http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Varys, they could be brothers!

I know not very relevant but to me the comparison was uncanny and had to share, move on.

Z.

• AtomicAtomic Member UncommonPosts: 46

To me he only was a big mouth drama queen who destroyed all my beloved games, because of $$$.

Bye $med, i will not miss you and hope to never see you again.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Would like to see him as boss of WoW, then buy a huge box of popcorn and watch it all happen. ;)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by donger56
    Good riddance. This guy has been the main reason so many good games have died at the hands of $oE. Everquest, SWG, and many others were great games run into the ground by bad management and poor business decisions. I think this was the plan right after Sony sold off the company anyway. They didn't want to completely clean house the first week so they let him stay on until the transition was over. So many people at $oE were just sitting around drawing bloated salaries and producing nothing. EQN is nowhere and H1Z1 is just a quick cash grab off of other peoples ideas. I don't have much hope for EQN but I hope they prove me wrong and put out something worthy of the name. 

Lol some of you in your pathetic hate are not reading it properly. He hasn't left the company he has taken time off and a position will be made avaliable on his return. 

• dplcafdplcaf Member UncommonPosts: 59

I honestly never thought it would have happened... Although like others said once a company sales out, changes and takeovers happen. But seriously, I never thought it would have happened to him after all of the crap he did in the past and kept his job.

Although not gone for good from DBG it will be nice to see some new upper management. They could call Brad Mcquad?

Originally posted by dplcaf

I honestly never thought it would have happened... Although like others said once a company sales out, changes and takeovers happen. But seriously, I never thought it would have happened to him after all of the crap he did in the past and kept his job.

Although not gone for good from DBG it will be nice to see some new upper management. They could call Brad Mcquiad?

Lol you've gone and opened more hate flood gates.  

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol some of you in your pathetic hate are not reading it properly. He hasn't left the company he has taken time off and a position will be made avaliable on his return. 

Funny after accusing me of being a white knight is several posts , your white knighting for John Smedley , hypocrisy at its finest. 

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

i think its fair to assume that columbus nova did a) know everything in advance and b) had planned everything in advance

its not their first rodeo and u dont shed out a hundred millions if you dont do your due dilligence...

im just wondering what their long term strategy is? cause the only valuable ip that daybreak has - afai can tell is everquest or everquest next (i dunno if they hold all the licences for the eq universe?)

but i would assume a whole bunch of everquest games - free to play, on all platforms etc...to make money from the one ip they have...

i would also assume a strong rebuilding of the original eqn idea into one that can be pushed out faster and makes money... thats why a) they are so quite about updates on mechanics and b) all the origina designers / story bricks are gone...

so my assumption is, while we will get A eqn it will not be THE original vision...

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by goozmania

This could be the best news for the MMORPG genre in over a decade. Smedley was key in adding cash shops to all their games, and insisted F2P was the future. As far as I know, he was instrumental in taking a shit on Everquest Next's design...

Perhaps without him, if EQN ever actually happens, it might be good... Or the damage could already be done.

This is so wrong

No single person has such influence on the entire MMORPG market

Cash shops were added across the board in all online gaming - it was an emerging trend that the entire industry embraced

You can dislike Smed - no problem there - but blaming the industry wide shifts on him is overreaching in a big way

I agree you can't blame cash shops and f2p on one single person. 

Off-topic 

Oh the the person called kruger who keeps quoting me, I've told you that you are blocked. Also I've told you that I'm not one of those who can't resist a look. So keep quoting whatever you are saying they don't get read lol. 

• goofy3kgoofy3k Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Good riddance. How this guy still gets offered top jobs is beyond me. He's ruined nearly every game he's been involved with not counting Everquest. Clearly the success of the games which did do well and he was involved in weren't anything to do with his "skills" or "experience". 
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Once CEOs get demoted they don't stick around. Heck most employees leave when they get demoted.

Th jury is out on that one, as of now he hasn't actually gone from the company.  We will see over the coming months but John is still an employee.  My wish would be them bringing Vanguard alive again but giving us a Vanguard when it had no fast travel.