Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: The Great Stat Reboot

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As part of WildStar’s free-to-play transition, character stats are getting a radical overhaul. Terms like Moxie and Finesse are out, and secondary stats are being revamped. To help understand the reasons behind the change, Gareth “Gazimoff” Harmer caught up with Lead Designer Steven Engle.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: The Great Stat Reboot.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Having so much fun in Skyforge and still need to try Trove. Not sure when I will fit time in to try WS again. So many games, I love it. I hope the changes really do help. This game has so much potential. 

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    I m currently playing WS, ESO and GW2 but if i was to vote for the best themepark i would pick WS. It drastically improved since launch and it also has great potential. Time will tell though.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Yes like Nan I'm playing Skyforge and loving it and since I just realised ;good god how actually quite grand the character customization in terms of path and picking symbols,stats and so on am quite engrossed in it. Don't really have time for Wildstar although I do love the game. Too many games so little time. Had to drop ESO too.
    Chamber of Chains
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

For me Wildstar has been trying to get itemization right for a while now without much success. To me the new system sounds super-dumbed down (not the first one was really complex). Based on past actions, but realizing that there's a whole new team involved, I do not have any high hopes for the game.

I came back when they announced F2P (tons of CREDD allows that), and found it just as dull as I had left it, with a couple of guilds pacing through raids slowly. Dailies galore, uninspired vet shiphands...yeah not a game for me these days I'm sad to say.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Are you guys playing a different Skyforge as i do??

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

What they really need to fix stat-wise is their rune socket system. Figuring out an optimal rune setup can take hours without add-on help. 

Compared to that figuring out the current stats is child's play.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I may go back to W* after it goes FTP. The combat will still probably be broken in that it's too easy to accidentally argo more baddies than you can handle while fighting one. I do hate all these custom stats. My big frustration in TSW is trying to sort out which stats I want since they don't tell you much from the description.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I dislike when people refer to making a game easier to understand, as "dumbing down".  Being concise, and presenting information clearly, isn't dumbing down anything.  That's like saying flowcharts and hierarchy tables are being dumbed down.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by snoocky

LMAO, I know right?  And what are all these great games the guy in the one post was talking about...games have fallen apart!!  I think this must be the family and friends program!!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Playing Skyforge, GW2, and Marvel Heroes.  No time for anything else at the moment but will give WS another chance in the future.

Skyforge has that old school feel, like SWG when I was grinding classes.  It's repetitive and addictive because I'm working towards a goal and I make decent progress when I'm done with a session.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

Swtor example. First area before getting companion, you always find new players gearing incorrectly, without looking at the stats that quest reward items provide, like Trooper with cunning.

Lol reminds me of the old confusion of gearing up Qyzen Fess.

For some reason he uses Aim as main stat while using a staff as weapon.

But yeah swtor stats and customization are kind of a hoax - you can get gear with other stats but it does nothing other than to gimp you.

Harbinger of Fools
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Originally posted by SirBalin

LMAO, I know right?  And what are all these great games the guy in the one post was talking about...games have fallen apart!!  I think this must be the family and friends program!!

It's almost like people like different things than other people.

Fucking crazy, right?

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by justinsalesart

Fucking crazy, right?

You like different things and have no standards.

Crazy, right?

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Originally posted by carotid

Fucking crazy, right?

You like different things and have no standards.

Crazy, right?

I only have one standard: am I having a good time?

Only standard I need.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I think this is a good change. The old primary stats were an immediate head scratcher as a veteran MMORPG and RPG player. They were nothing like any other game and felt different just to be different. Unnecessary confusion that added no game play value.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Yes. Just as with all things, not everyone likes the same thing. I know it is hard to believe the world does not, in fact, revolve around your perspective.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Fucking crazy, right?

^^^

Guess my lima bean pizza with clam sauce is safe.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

It's about time they get rid of this bizarre stat system they shipped the game with. It brought nothing meaningful to the table and it's not like we closed beta testers didn't voice our objections, more than once. But, along with numerous other suggestions we got ignored by the devs who stayed glued to their "hardcore for the sake of hardcore" vision. 

I'm going to give WS a second try when it goes f2p. 

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Was the garbage optimization ever resolved with this game? The release saw no improvement from the very first beta tests.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Denambren

Was the garbage optimization ever resolved with this game? The release saw no improvement from the very first beta tests.

It runs smooth now on my 5 year old system so yes.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Yeah at the very least they would have had to change the names. I am glad to see they gave it a once over. There is a good game somewhere in there. It just need a little coaxing to come out. 

This have been a good conversation

• mentinmentin Member UncommonPosts: 35

Las time I tried in Europe (2 months ago) it had serious lag spikes.

If a low pop server like jabbit has lag issues I wonder what will happen when ftp players will come at this fall

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

No doubt Carbine will turn the F2P transition into a mess.

But i still love this quirky little gem of a game.

• ciaptainmilkmanciaptainmilkman Member UncommonPosts: 3
    i am playing ws but is just so low population is so low i cant take and dungeon or andventure without it take 1 hour so i hop that this will help