Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eq2 time locked pve and pvp progression servers

OzrynOzryn Member Posts: 8

Link to faq on official forums - https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/time-locked-expansion-server-faq-june-16.560924/  The faq dis a decent start.

Can not wait!  The glory of early Nagafen server hopefully without the litany of pvp-killing game changes over the years.

If you never tasted a game built for pve with faction based overland pvp do yourself a favor.  Beta in July.

Comments

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    they are doing an EQ2 progression server?  where is the info for this?
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    it was tweeted by one of their team members. forget which one.
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

EverQuest II retweeted

Holly Longdale ‏@TheWindstalker  2h2 hours ago

Happy day!! We're preparing TWO Time-Locked Expansion Beta servers for #EQ2 in early July -- one for PVE and one for PVP! Details soon (tm)!

While I dream for a "P99" version of this, since EQ2 progression has yet to be done even by SOE...I'm certainly intrigued.  Ragefire didn't really do much for me as I had already maxed 3 characters in P99 over 2 years ago, but I'm amped for EQ2 Progression.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

The problem is that EQ2 was absolute and utter garbage until Kingdom of Sky and then Echoes of Faydwer was the best expansion of any game ever.

I'm curious to know what they are keeping from future updates for the server, as the way that combat and stats worked back then were garbage. Subclasses were identical, etc...

Originally posted by goozmania

The problem is that EQ2 was absolute and utter garbage until Kingdom of Sky and then Echoes of Faydwer was the best expansion of any game ever.

I'm curious to know what they are keeping from future updates for the server, as the way that combat and stats worked back then were garbage. Subclasses were identical, etc...

Something tells me they won't keep the games original class system.  No one wanted it and everyone was incredibly happy once it was gone forever.  I don't need a 100% authentic experience because while I didn't play vanilla EQ2 I did beta test it and I hated it when I first played it.  When I came back in EoF it was great.  If they keep the classes the way they are for the first 2 expansions I think everyone will be better off.  Also, if they let the players decide (if SOE is even capable of changing things back to the old sub-class system) I think the players who remember what it was like will say screw it, don't do it.  That is a piece of the nostalgia I'm not interested in.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Won't be much like original EQ2 if what devs say in this thread is true.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-eq2-time-locked-server-discussion-thread.560708/

- no isle of refugee

- no heroic mobs in overland zones

- not the original class system

and

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq2/index.php?threads/the-eq2-time-locked-server-discussion-thread.560708/page-8#post-6210006

And or those to lazy to click:

"Files are constantly changing and dependencies on those files change as well. Consider that we've been patching and updating the game for over 10 years. Going back and creating an experience that's exactly the same as EQ2 was on day one would be a monumental task, and that's NOT our goal for these Time-Locked servers."

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by epoq

Something tells me they won't keep the games original class system.  No one wanted it and everyone was incredibly happy once it was gone forever.  I don't need a 100% authentic experience because while I didn't play vanilla EQ2 I did beta test it and I hated it when I first played it.  When I came back in EoF it was great.  If they keep the classes the way they are for the first 2 expansions I think everyone will be better off.  Also, if they let the players decide (if SOE is even capable of changing things back to the old sub-class system) I think the players who remember what it was like will say screw it, don't do it.  That is a piece of the nostalgia I'm not interested in.

imo they should go all the way, or dont do it at all. The same with boat rides and all the other things people asked to get removed

all except the game crash that caused everyone loosing their chars a couple of months after release (atleast one thing I "missed") 

• OzrynOzryn Member Posts: 8

I am not presently looking for new content.  In fact I haven't been very interested in any recent content.

But a chance to relive some of the original pvp glory?  More interested in doing that within classic content honestly.  Actually far more interested.

Originally posted by Ozryn

I am not presently looking for new content.  In fact I haven't been very interested in any recent content.

But a chance to relive some of the original pvp glory?  More interested in doing that within classic content honestly.  Actually far more interested.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

A lot more time and care were put into the classic content. Writing, and world building were at it's peak. It wasn't really about roping people into subbing. You could really see that in a lot of the older content - it was interesting and mysterious - now most content seems "game-y", Pulls you in, asks for your money, spits you out.

Plus the classic content hearkens back to EQ classic nostalgia, and that is a decades old world to be crafting from.

• OzrynOzryn Member Posts: 8
    Added link to faq on official forums.  A good start!
  • PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433
    Holy shit , i miss old nagy so much if its anything like it was the first years , they have my money! I really hope they dont make 10-20 zone city flag . teen pvp was the best.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Just your personal opinion, but whatever.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

I agree it won't be anything like vanilla eq2, even before or after the many changes implemented months after release. Alot changed that first year for the better in many peoples' opinions. I didn't feel the same, grouping became less focused, lost my off-hand poison damage on my swb, crafting became less profitable with less interdependency, just everything became easier for the solo/casual. I learned the game well early and the changes made it bleh, like mainstream music coming from your favorite band just so they can sell records.

People like bleh. I think most gaming today is pretty bleh.

Still, I'd like to play on a progression server. Revisiting dungeons without power-leveling mentored 90s thrashing the place would be good, actually having to try and struggle, those wins you get with 10% health left, dinging 37 and RoV is too easy but CT is too hard so going to RE for a couple more days, re-exploring OoLS, heritage quests and alternate-version instances actually mattering. I just want to know when the server opens. I'll join.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I didn't find EQ2 until Echoes of Faydwer.

I didn't find this game until after playing Vanilla WoW and D&D Online. Like everyone else, no one really had updated computers and it was buggy as hell, so I didn't like it as much. So anything earlier than EOF would prob be too crappie.

BUT, with all the crap mmos as of late I would welcome a vanilla EQ2 right now...Sub only.... Any sign of a cash shop and I'll be out !

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Philss
    Holy shit , i miss old nagy so much if its anything like it was the first years , they have my money! I really hope they dont make 10-20 zone city flag . teen pvp was the best.

Yes,I hear pvp will be back in those zones and even in the cities you will now be able to attack players.Also there will be no flying mounts,battlegrounds,warfronts,pvp gear,ever.All procs on gear will work in pvp too.Now they just need to commit to never having mercs on the pvp server too.

Edit: No guild halls either,hopefully this will make it better.No safe crafting in your own instance lol

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Will this go back to sub only or F2P ?

Would be interested if there is NO CASH SHOP AT ALL.......If it has a cash shop, then it's still like the other 200 games on the list. therefore worthless.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Beta server opening around 2pm pacific. From what I understand, you must have all-access (paid $15 sub) to participate and all data will be wiped at public server release.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499

Just hopped back in to check out EQ2's naggy server and they have allowed pvp again in the cities, I saw my immunity bar running out and was like YAY!!!! but then there were no people to fight lol.... Confirmed for Qeynos and Kelethin anyways (pvp was 8 levels up or down in each town)

Could be a fun place again if the PVP'ers came back. Wish they never would have taken away the pvp from towns to begin with. 

:) 

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

godamnit. This got me so excited.

But then I read and it will be nothing like vanilla eq2. And by reading the response of the devs, they couldn't do it, too hard, too much work, we just want to do something quick. Build up hype and get attention because emulators - and especially wow emulators are very big business lately. then deliver nothing like older eq2 at any point in time.

Godamnit, so fucking disappoiting, and seems so pointless. I'm sure it will get an audience but it seems pretty clear that the vast majority wants the old stuff, like it was back in the day. There CLEARLY is a market for older expansion in bigger mmorpgs, but nobody wants to fucking do it. As good as private servers are, certain companies just don't let me love them anymore. Infuriating.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    What are these anyhow?

I see a lot of excitement, but I don't understand why.

Roll an evil aligned character (Freeport) and come to the lighthouse in Antonica and we can 'discuss' it :)

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    What are these anyhow?

I see a lot of excitement, but I don't understand why.

Roll an evil aligned character (Freeport) and come to the lighthouse in Antonica and we can 'discuss' it :)

You're going down freeps! 

:) 

• BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46
    2 more days to launch .. go download the game if want to play it!
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Its launched - go give it whirl...

The boat ride, Queens Colony and the Overlords sarting isle (forgot its name) are back !?!!

Loving it !!!!