Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR vs Rift

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

Okay narrowed myself down to two mmo's to play a dedicated healer in.  Rift or SWTOR.

Given the choice between the two which would you choose to be a dedicated NON PVP healer in and why?

Any particular class/build you would prefer as a healer?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126

I had the same dilemma, myself, I had a few 50's on rift and 1 one swtor. I went with swtor, for the polish and storyline. The storyline really is excellent. Full voice acting my grate your nerves on alts (the non class missions) but you caan hit space and fast forward  through them.

New expansion coming is a plus. It is better to subscribe though. I think rift has a better FTP system than swtor. Swtor seems restrictive but I don't mind sub games.

That's my piece, anyhoo, you can't loose with either, to be honest.

Dead.

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Thanks! I should of said yeah I typically sub and play for the games i play if that makes any difference.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I could never get into Rift, so I have no idea what kind of healers it has available.

I imagine it'll have some good combinations though with the souls system and all.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

World of Warcraft.

Why choose some clone when you can play the original ?

lol, played it for 10 years and just want a different story, game etc etc

Thanks for the input though.

Originally posted by Gorwe

SWTOR by a margin.

Rift is a poor man's wow. Weird too.

What do you mean by "weird"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by dzones

Okay narrowed myself down to two mmo's to play a dedicated healer in.  Rift or SWTOR.

Given the choice between the two which would you choose to be a dedicated NON PVP healer in and why?

Thanks in advance!!

Love your avatar.  Did you make that?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

Thanks in advance!!

Love your avatar.  Did you make that?

Thanks! No didn't make it, it is one I found from the web from the "Mars Attacks" movie. Those characters crack me up everytime I watch it lol

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

World of Warcraft.

Indeed.  First Edition AD&D!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

World of Warcraft.

Indeed.  First Edition AD&D!

yep played that too. I remember the weekend long D&D marathons with our character sheets and dice in hand!

Great times!

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Well I'm biased in favor of Rift. But to be fair, I never played SWTOR.

• Rift's soul trees (talents) are the most flexible I've seen in any themepark, and you can have up to 20 builds and swap them around as long as you are out of combat.
    • Every class can play a tank, healer, dps or support and every class has a soul with some kind of combat pet.
    • The entire map and all quests are available F2P. There are some things to buy if you want to min/max, but it's possible to do all of that with in-game currency if you are patient and clever.
    • Patron (subscription) bonuses are relevant.
    • You can PvP for PvE gear improvement.
    • Dimensions.
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

I could never get into Rift, so I have no idea what kind of healers it has available.

I imagine it'll have some good combinations though with the souls system and all.

Why couldn't you get into it?

I think it was a combination of not liking the art style (I found each character I made to be utterly fugly) and the old fashioned questing (quest window pops up, read the text and hit accept. Then go kill 5 skellies and turn in.).

Yep, I'm shallow. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

I think it was a combination of not liking the art style (I found each character I made to be utterly fugly) and the old fashioned questing.

And it hadn't anything to do with utterly surreal and unbelievable world?

Actually that was a pretty big part of it too. The story completely didn't grab me either.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Rift by far.  Awesome combination of classes/skills, and lots of class customization options.  Chloromancer is one of the most interesting classes I've ever played.  I played mostly warden though and loved it.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

World of Warcraft.

Be said the about Wow, why play wow when it's a clone of EQ.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

SWTOR healing is some of the most boring healing I've ever done.  You put all your sill points into healing then constantly spam your heal and poof you're a healer.  But then again raiding in SWTOR is some of the most pathetically easy raiding ever created so it's not like you have a hard job keeping people up.

Honestly if you're going to play SWTOR, then be a Jedi Vigilant Guardian.  It's a high DPS DoT class with the only cool combat animations in the game.  Saber Throw, Master Strike, Plasma Brand, Force Leap... yeah, Guardians got all the cool stuff.  It also has a very interesting combo rotation that changes constantly depending on what you're fighting.  Well, if you want to be good anyhow.  It's easy to be a mediocre Guardian and still raid.

Not only that but... Lightsabers are the coolest weapon ever.  Search your feelings; you know this is true.

RIFT... I didn't get into it.  I read a lot about it and what I discovered through reading a small novel worth of information is that it's a heavily macroed game.  It has so many skills and abilities that have to be used quickly one after the other that it's almost inhumanly possible to use them that quickly.  So everyone macros abilities and having the right combinations of hundreds of abilities is super important.  After reading about it for a few days, I decided it wasn't the game for me.

I will say, however, that the most fun I've ever had playing a healer was the Bear Shaman in Age of Conan.  Not only are you a dedicated healer, but your heals increase as you deal DPS.  So as you beat the crap out of bad guys with your giant two handed hammer, you power up your heals.

It's also a high DPS class.  If you know how to play it right, which is not easy to learn, then you can place near the top of the DPS charts and the heal charts.  I constantly have people asking me for my skill tree / combo rotation and AA spec cause it usually shocks people to see a healer that badass.

I think it was a combination of not liking the art style (I found each character I made to be utterly fugly) and the old fashioned questing.

And it hadn't anything to do with utterly surreal and unbelievable world?

Actually that was a pretty big part of it too. The story completely didn't grab me either.

And would it surprise you if I had the same objections as you did? Ok, minus the character part-I actually managed to make my character pretty cool with only minimal effort. But hey! I'm good at that!

Nope. image

I did the best I could with the character, but it was pretty much the art style that kept me from really getting into it. I seem to recall elves especially looking weird, I think my human was okay. I managed to make it past the tutorial area once, with the human I think, but that was the furthest I ever got.

Originally posted by zaberfangx

World of Warcraft.

Because that particular clone had all its junk DNA filtered out. image

Originally posted by dreamer05
    Rift by far.  Awesome combination of classes/skills, and lots of class customization options.  Chloromancer is one of the most interesting classes I've ever played.  I played mostly warden though and loved it.

Is Chloromancer still a viable build? Mage healing via dps does sound kind of interesting.

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

SWTOR healing is some of the most boring healing I've ever done.  You put all your sill points into healing then constantly spam your heal and poof you're a healer.  But then again raiding in SWTOR is some of the most pathetically easy raiding ever created so it's not like you have a hard job keeping people up.

Honestly if you're going to play SWTOR, then be a Jedi Vigilant Guardian.  It's a high DPS DoT class with the only cool combat animations in the game.  Saber Throw, Master Strike, Plasma Brand, Force Leap... yeah, Guardians got all the cool stuff.  It also has a very interesting combo rotation that changes constantly depending on what you're fighting.  Well, if you want to be good anyhow.  It's easy to be a mediocre Guardian and still raid.

Not only that but... Lightsabers are the coolest weapon ever.  Search your feelings; you know this is true.

RIFT... I didn't get into it.  I read a lot about it and what I discovered through reading a small novel worth of information is that it's a heavily macroed game.  It has so many skills and abilities that have to be used quickly one after the other that it's almost inhumanly possible to use them that quickly.  So everyone macros abilities and having the right combinations of hundreds of abilities is super important.  After reading about it for a few days, I decided it wasn't the game for me.

I will say, however, that the most fun I've ever had playing a healer was the Bear Shaman in Age of Conan.  Not only are you a dedicated healer, but your heals increase as you deal DPS.  So as you beat the crap out of bad guys with your giant two handed hammer, you power up your heals.

It's also a high DPS class.  If you know how to play it right, which is not easy to learn, then you can place near the top of the DPS charts and the heal charts.  I constantly have people asking me for my skill tree / combo rotation and AA spec cause it usually shocks people to see a healer that badass.

That's unfortunate about SWTOR raiding being that easy. No challenge means no fun really. I do enjoy the leveling though so endgame is not THAT important for me. Once I reach top level with a toon I might raid a few times with it but then  I usually start another in a different class anyway. Thanks for your input!!!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Stuff

That's unfortunate about SWTOR raiding being that easy. No challenge means no fun really. I do enjoy the leveling though so endgame is not THAT important for me. Once I reach top level with a toon I might raid a few times with it but then  I usually start another in a different class anyway. Thanks for your input!!!

Well dude, if that's the experience you want, then look no further than the Imperial Agent in SWTOR.  My undergrad degree is in English Literature, so I'm not going to be one of those people that claim that an MMORPG story is really amazing.  It's not Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea or anything, but for an MMORPG it's a fun story with lots of twists and turns.  

Play a Concealment Operative.  Stealth is a game changer in SWTOR and lets you take on content that you wouldn't be able to at your level on another character.  It also lets you sneak by the hundreds of thousands of useless and boring loot pinata mobs that stand around with no other goal but to impede your progress and dampen your fun.

The Operative's attacks are pretty boring tbh.  Just walk up and knifey-knife-knife people all the time with the same animation, but it has high DPS and sneaking around will get you to the story bits faster.

• JFiveJFive Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

World of Warcraft.

Because that particular clone had all its junk DNA filtered out. image

I've never been a big fan of WoW i tried it out once years ago when it first came out but all that junk you speak of was added later if you played EQ during the first few expansions basically everything up to luclin it was a great game!

But i get away from the topic both Rift and SWTOR have great stories but from playing both at beta and at launch i have to say that SWTOR has a better story that you can interact with. Also if healing doesnt work for you, you can always try a commando on SWTOR i loved that class but both games have changed from launch and SWTOR seems to be rebuilding still after it went F2P but maybe the new update can fix that im tempted to go back.