Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Review of Guild Wars 2

DenimSwordDenimSword Member Posts: 3

I just hit level 80 a few days ago and gave Fractals a try. After much consideration, I am eager to post my review of this game. The things I liked about GW2 are as follows -

Dynamic Events: I personally really liked the dynamic events system in this game. I also saw a similar system in Rift but GW2 seems to offer a more polished version of it. The singular events are good but I really enjoyed the chain events which provides us with little but interesting side-stories. I am afraid that I am so spoiled with this system that I might never again play another MMORPG with the generic quest system.

Lore: I have to admit that Guild Wars 2 has one of the most original, immersive lore which outshines some of the single player RPG's lore. I have not played Guild Wars 1 but I real the lore from wiki/internet and I honestly believe that this franchise has one of the best lore in MMORPG.

PVP: Hands down, GW2's isolated auto-balance PVP system is by far, one of the best PVP system I encountered in an MMORPG. I genuinely enjoyed the fact that PVP is dependent only on build & player skills and not on gears and everyone has access to all builds in PVP. This is how PVP should've been in any MMORPG. Skill should always be the primary key of PVP, instead of gears.

Combat: I genuinely liked the combat system of this game. I really liked how GW2 combined the generic tab targeting with action based gameplay to produce this amazing system. Again, I fear that I have been spoiled and might never enjoy another MMORPG with generic tab targeting and no dodging.

Open World: The huge immersive open world, combined with the amazing lore offers a thrilling adventure which never gets old. Honestly, I often just roam around aimlessly, exploring new areas and quenching my thirst for virtual adventure.

WvW: I, personally enjoyed WvW a lot! It truly is an ever-interesting game mode and I am thankful that GW2 provided EoTM to satisfy my constant hunger of zerg fights.

Crafting System: The crafting system of Guild Wars 2 is great. It is neither too complex nor too simple, complexity is just in perfect amount to make it interesting. It could've been improved in certain areas but still the current system is really good.

Lack of Vertical Gear Progression: This is one of the main reason why I liked Guild Wars 2. The lack vertical gear progression actually makes me feel like I am "playing" the game instead of "working" towards getting a better gear. Ascended gears are indeed hard to get, but I don't think that they are necessary to enjoy 99.99% of the game. The fact that GW2 focuses mostly on player skill is what makes it truly amazing and interesting.

Account-wide Wardrobe: Account-wide wardrobe is one of the crucial feature, that GW2 offers, to satisfy players' thirst for aesthetic look. I would say that they've done a great job achieving that goal. The current account-wide wardrobe system really offers a lot of flexibility in terms of aesthetic customization.

Community: I have to admit, GW2 has one of the most friendly community among MMORPGs. The PVP community can often get toxic but the PVE community is as polite as possible. ArenaNet has done a great job with the game design to create such an amazing community of players.

There are several others minor factors about GW2, that I really liked, but for the sake of brevity, I will omit those from the review. Now, there are some matters I, personally didn't like about Guild Wars 2 and these are -

Game Performance: I have GTX 980, Intel Core i7-4790K, 32 GB RAM & 512 GB SSD and despite that, I often lag when even in small zergs or Lion's Arch (or other major cities). It is somewhat annoying as I played several other MMORPGs and the lag seems to be happening only in GW2. It would appear that GW2 has some difficulty handling big crowds. Also, recently, I am facing several disconnections and I am confident that the fault is not from my side.

Endgame Content: Although, fractals, dungeons, world bosses are some of the immersive end-game content in this game, it would still seem that these contents get "boring" rather fast. The lack of solid endgame content seems to be a major problem in Guild Wars 2. With the advent of HoT, this issue might be rectified but until then, GW2, at its current state, lacks endgame contents.

That's just mu humble review of the game. Please rate and criticize. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Account created 2 days ago, first and only post is about a 3 year old game and it's completely 100% positive.

Shillllllllll......
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I couldn't disagree more: The game bored me to tears, it just felt soulless and committee-designed.  But opinions are like arse-holes and all that.   
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    meh is guild wars 2 marketing getting desperate or something? The game isnt bad but good lord if this isnt a marketing pitch I do not know what is....
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

to those guys who say this is marketing post...why anet need to write thread about the game which was/is the  number 1 popular mmo of this website for almost past 3 years,...gw2 is a big game now...it does not need advertisement like this which is usually written for unknown games.

i totally agree with op.

• DenimSwordDenimSword Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Ludwik
    Account created 2 days ago, first and only post is about a 3 year old game and it's completely 100% positive.

Shillllllllll......

I couldn't find the logic of your argument. Is it mandatory to make a hate comment on others' thread as a beginner? I mean is it prohibited to post my vivid opinion on an MMORPG as my first post? Are complaining as I am trying to be high quality poster? I am really confused.

Originally posted by cronius77
    meh is guild wars 2 marketing getting desperate or something? The game isnt bad but good lord if this isnt a marketing pitch I do not know what is....

Funny mentality. Do you expect every newbie to post low quality hate comment?

Literally no idea why the community is being toxic here. I just thought that it would be good if I introduce myself with a HQ review. But, I guess I am wrong. You are welcome to criticize my review or opinion but such baseless ranting is extremely juvenile and annoying.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

Community isnt only toxic here, it is toxic on every forums in general and on every global chat in every games. 

This reflects pretty much the 2015 society... Dont worry tho some people enjoyed your review but most people with positive opinions are quiet... the loudest are always the negative people.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it's a pretty sweet game. i just dont like the whole weapon swap thingy. it's cool on some classes but on others i feel like i only want to use one but then i'd be gimping myself =/

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

Hey, great review! I agree on everything except performance and end-game. I have no performance issues at all (but I have AMD hardware, so that's to be expected), and I find the lack of end-game content a HUGE PLUS. No reason to rush, no single objective to work towards. I just play to enjoy the game. Period. That's something no other MMO could do, and mostly because players are so used to being pampered with one system, that they can't even fathom trying something different.

Also, don't worry about what negative people tell you. Being a little piece of toxic sh*t comes easy when they can hide behind a monitor, and during this day and age, it's a common problem. At any rate, thanks for the review! This truly is an awesome game with very few flaws!

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• DenimSwordDenimSword Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Franconstein

Hey, great review! I agree on everything except performance and end-game. I have no performance issues at all (but I have AMD hardware, so that's to be expected), and I find the lack of end-game content a HUGE PLUS. No reason to rush, no single objective to work towards. I just play to enjoy the game. Period. That's something no other MMO could do, and mostly because players are so used to being pampered with one system, that they can't even fathom trying something different.

Also, don't worry about what negative people tell you. Being a little piece of toxic sh*t comes easy when they can hide behind a monitor, and during this day and age, it's a common problem. At any rate, thanks for the review! This truly is an awesome game with very few flaws!

Now that you mentioned it, I do think that you are right. I realized that, without a lot of endgame content, we could actually enjoy the game's vast content equally, thanks to downscaling. I am actually planning to take some rest from fractals and finish multiple zones.

I've to agree, this is, so far the most immersive MMORPG experience I had and I applaud ArenaNet for their relentless work of making it a better one. Some other companies should actually learn from ArenaNet. I have seen so many MMORPG going to their grave, because of corporate greed of their respective developer/publisher companies; it's quite sad.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The issue is that all content can pretty much be tossed up to end game content.  I play the game off and on, but recently I've been playing it more with the expansion incoming.  There really is only so much you can do...  so your end game content literally becomes achievement hunting, item hunting, or ranking.  

Achievement hunting I personally find dull,   item hunting has some merit if you like new skins for your gear or you want the best of the best - including different legendaries -- and rankings.. well ranking doesn't mean very much.  Top rankings are always about the amount played not so much how well you've played.

Its worth a daily login for, and to check out new content, but for people looking for a game that will hold your attention for multiple hours a day indefinitely, this game likely won't engross you quite that much. 

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515
     I thought the review was pretty spot on. I'm sorry to hear about your performance issues. Your computer is way beefier than mine so I don't see why you would be having the lag issues in WvW unless its just something to do with your internet network. I was playing that on a quad core phenom X processor(4 @ 2.8ghz. each) with only 8 gigs of ram and an HD Radeon 5770 gpu, and I use to have no trouble running in the front line of WvW zergs as a zergbusting necro with very little if any lag. I have since upgraded, but yeah, your machine should have no difficulty with this. It seems to me that something is possibly at issue with your connection.
    Originally posted by NightHaveN
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Love everything about GW2...

EXCEPT!!..

Lack of trinity combat :(

Maybe at release they lacked healers. But some classes like Elementalist, Warriors and Engineers have healing builds. In large WvWvW you may not see it, but as in some world bosses, certain groups could be coordinated. And in smaller PvP fights a support Engineer turrets and med packs can turn a group fight.

This love affair with "trinity combat" is something I have never understood. Aggro is a horrible mechanic that makes no sense. It's a sign of very bad and simple AI. So you have a monster that we are supposed to believe is a threat but it's so retarded that it insists on only attacking the most armored person in your party? Because what? Is the tank just insulting it's mother the whole time? That isn't a challenging threat. That is a down syndrome sufferer. Nothing Heroic about beating up the mentally ill.

That really is one area where Arenanet really shines is AI. Sadly the AI in GW2 is not as advanced as it was in GW1, but it's still better than the AI in these "Trinity Combat" mmo's.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

The issue is that all content can pretty much be tossed up to end game content.  I play the game off and on, but recently I've been playing it more with the expansion incoming.  There really is only so much you can do...  so your end game content literally becomes achievement hunting, item hunting, or ranking. 

Why do you need a permanent game? Why can't you just play it while it's fun, and then move on to the next one? If you spend $50 on a game that you enjoyed for 100+ hours, isn't that good enough? Even if the game were shorter, enjoying it makes it worth the price tag. I never understood the idea behind marrying one game for eternity.

Originally posted by Nailzzz

This love affair with "trinity combat" is something I have never understood. Aggro is a horrible mechanic that makes no sense. It's a sign of very bad and simple AI. So you have a monster that we are supposed to believe is a threat but it's so retarded that it insists on only attacking the most armored person in your party? Because what? Is the tank just insulting it's mother the whole time? That isn't a challenging threat. That is a down syndrome sufferer. Nothing Heroic about beating up the mentally ill.

That really is one area where Arenanet really shines is AI. Sadly the AI in GW2 is not as advanced as it was in GW1, but it's still better than the AI in these "Trinity Combat" mmo's.

Without the hating for Trinity, I agree with you - it makes no sense, and it's basically lazy design. Sure, it makes things more organized and categorized, but I prefer the GW2 combat system (the same that all ARPGs implement), in which you get to play however you want, and still be useful. If they implemented some more complex mechanics into those fights, it would be even better.

The problem is that most people like predictable fights, in which all you have to do is repeat a set choreography and after a while of doing the same thing, you're done.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

The AI in GW2 is horrible. Hopefully it will get better with the new mobs in HoT, but please dont inlcude Anet shines at AI and GW2 in the same sentence.

As they have publicly pretty much admitted that their AI/mobs are shit. 

I like what ive seen of their demonstrations of their upgraded AI. Lets hope they actually give these new mobs some interesting skills as well.

I am no coder, but how hard could it be to plot an alternate route which mobs move to when you are out of line of sight. 

Why do you need a permanent game? Why can't you just play it while it's fun, and then move on to the next one? If you spend $50 on a game that you enjoyed for 100+ hours, isn't that good enough? Even if the game were shorter, enjoying it makes it worth the price tag. I never understood the idea behind marrying one game for eternity.

There is no issue with playing something while its fun,  but people tend to like to know how much fun they'll get out of their 50 dollars.  When you buy an MMO you tend to consider it an investment of time and in many cases money.  This game has plenty of timesinks, but most of them are trivial, thats all I'm really saying.  Pretty much what you do at level 1 is what you do at level 80 with only two different options which are dungeons and the fractals at higher levels with negligible rewards, but the major rewards people should be interested in require daily login... those that don't log in get penalized.  They expect you to want to keep playing everyday -- I'm just saying.. theres really not much to keep you here.

There is no issue with playing something while its fun,  but people tend to like to know how much fun they'll get out of their 50 dollars.  When you buy an MMO you tend to consider it an investment of time and in many cases money.  This game has plenty of timesinks, but most of them are trivial, thats all I'm really saying.  Pretty much what you do at level 1 is what you do at level 80 with only two different options which are dungeons and the fractals at higher levels with negligible rewards, but the major rewards people should be interested in require daily login... those that don't log in get penalized.  They expect you to want to keep playing everyday -- I'm just saying.. theres really not much to keep you here.

And I believe that you're missing my point entirely. What I said earlier, and I insist on again, is that there SHOULD NOT be a reason to "keep you there". The game should have a start and an end. Once you've reached it, you go do something else, or start over. You know, like every other game that isn't a modern MMO.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Loving eso and the freedom of building your character...ita the true heir to gw1 builds.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Loving eso and the freedom of building your character...ita the true heir to gw1 builds.

ROFL

Of all idiotic statements, this one is THE pinnacle.

Feeling....proud?

rofl

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

I find the lack of end-game content a HUGE PLUS. No reason to rush, no single objective to work towards. I just play to enjoy the game. Period. That's something no other MMO could do

THIS!!!! 

People mock me about this but I find the lack of content actually good in a game. That's why I love MMOs so much.

With no content there is no need to log in constantly to play the game and I can save time to do some outside activities like bicycling or getting to gym!

You may enjoy that shinny gold axe your 60 lvl paladin got fatso but I got a 6-pack IRL in the meantime.

Games with content are for fat losers! GW2 guys get the hot girls! 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Nice review OP, very clearly laid out and concise. You pretty much hit on all the things I like about the game. I get bored and go and play other games for a while, but I always end up coming back. Its a really fun game and quite innovative as well.

And I believe that you're missing my point entirely. What I said earlier, and I insist on again, is that there SHOULD NOT be a reason to "keep you there". The game should have a start and an end. Once you've reached it, you go do something else, or start over. You know, like every other game that isn't a modern MMO.

But it is a modern MMO.  They expect you to login everyday.  The best account based rewards require it. All I did was point that out alongside that there isn't anything else available that keeps you playing aside from what I previously mentioned.  For some that means a game worth paying 50 dollars for,  for others it doesn't. 

Originally posted by andre369

The AI in GW2 is horrible. Hopefully it will get better with the new mobs in HoT, but please dont inlcude Anet shines at AI and GW2 in the same sentence.

As they have publicly pretty much admitted that their AI/mobs are shit. 

I like what ive seen of their demonstrations of their upgraded AI. Lets hope they actually give these new mobs some interesting skills as well.

I am no coder, but how hard could it be to plot an alternate route which mobs move to when you are out of line of sight. 

I was referring more to the AI in GW1 being superior to pretty much everything else I have seen. GW2 isn't as good, but it's still more intelligent AI behavior than "trinity" mmo's with agro mechanics. And yes, considering that Arenanet created the AI in GW1, they should be acknowledging that the GW2 AI is crap, certainly by comparison to GW1. I would be impressed with the new GW2 AI if it is anything like it was in GW1 where mobs would actually utilize teamwork against players. Given the new skill combo abilities in GW2, it seems like a lost opportunity that they didn't utilize that from the start.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

That was a really good review. image

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    I liked your review but how many hours am I really going to get out of it if it doesn't even have end game content  ?
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Grailer
    I liked your review but how many hours am I really going to get out of it if it doesn't even have end game content  ?

people who's been playing since release are still at it so i guess you could find a couple of hours in there :P

I had fun once, it was terrible.