Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Skyforge: The Frustrating Things about Skyforge

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Next week you'll give a final review? - it's not even fully launched yet.

They're taking money. Game is launched. Period.

Just because people give money to a game doesn't mean it is is fully launched. Otherwise Founder's packs would indicate a game launch - which of course they don't.

The game is officially open beta. You cannot say it's not - as it's their game and they decide what they want to call the current phase.

Until they decide to change the state then it will remain OB. Now whether or not you're fan of prolonged open beta's is a different thing. Personally I'm against it, but it is what it is.

You go into the game knowing that changes can happen, there'll be some bugs and in extreme cases there may be roll backs or resets.

If people really don't like the system then obviously don't play it.

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    I agree 100%... I like the game BUT I do not like having to go back and do the same missions over and over again. I dont mind going back to the same area but my god cant they change it up a bit?? It's always the same mobs and same fight... I'm sorry My.Games but I just cant keep playing.
  • st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

100% disagree with you. Video games is not the only product you can buy unfinished. Developers have some rights to say when their game is done. The game industry has changed and we cant judge it by the old standards. 

You can definitely disagree! No problem with that. But that's the creed we live by. It's why we're reviewing Pathfinder, it's why we review tons of "Open Beta" games as launched. Whether you agree or not, trust me when I say that every single F2P MMO we've ever talked to considers their Open Beta a launch. They just don't say it. Using the term open beta, as in Trove's case and others, is a way for a game company to start making money, get some free hype, and then do it all again months down the road with a "launch".

In short, this isn't judging anything by the old standards. This is us playing hardball with the new standards and holding developers accountable for the products they openly sell to customers.

I see it as it is, alpha testing is still alpha testing, beta is still beta and open beta is still the thing where they work out the last few bugs. Problem with how we did things before was often the people who really cared about the game rarely got in. You call it playing hardball and holding them accountable for some marketing trick. To hide behind the term beta when things are broken. When in fact thats just what it is most times, beta problems they are working on. When this is the open beta testing phase, working out the last few bugs before they can call it final polished? They are doing that now.

Only difference is being able to pay for it makes sure the people who really care about the game, get a voice at the table. Can give feedback that matters. Any game I love the idea of, dropping 20-80 bucks to have a voice in its development is a small price to pay. I will take that system any day of the week over hoping I may get my foot in the door on some random invite. IMO, this is a step in the right direction. Open beta is still not launched no matter the fact people are paying for an unfinished product. The game still needs an open beta phase and this is it lol.

You could not be more-wrong.  The different phases are clearly defined and an Open Beta Test is as Bill describes in today's market.  It is basically the game is finish, now lets basically do a stress test on the servers and look for further optimizations in the code to improve gameplay.  It is not supposed to be missing x, y, z feature that will be added in a future content patch.

• ApexDescendApexDescend Member UncommonPosts: 27
    which one is it: 20 or 30?
  • ApexDescendApexDescend Member UncommonPosts: 27
    oh and btw "small" instead of "little" would be better in your second pararaph. (a myriad of other little issues)
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    This game reminds me of those Yahoo games that you hit the same boss with the same skills 5000 times to bring his 2500 layers of experience down. Good riddance. I like the graphics but that is all about I like, no open world killed for me.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    This game reminds me of those Yahoo games that you hit the same boss with the same skills 5000 times to bring his 2500 layers of experience down. Good riddance. I like the graphics but that is all about I like, no open world killed for me.

There is open world zones but you have to unlock them and you can go back to them any time you like. Once you get about 2500 prestige points you unlock your full skill line for a class, 5k and you have options on what skills you want to use. In total you have about 13-18 skills open to you at one time once you have unlocked everything.  

• ttenggttengg Member CommonPosts: 7
    frustrating game XD  fair review 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi

They're taking money. Game is launched. Period.

Just because people give money to a game doesn't mean it is is fully launched. Otherwise Founder's packs would indicate a game launch - which of course they don't.

The game is officially open beta. You cannot say it's not - as it's their game and they decide what they want to call the current phase.

Until they decide to change the state then it will remain OB. Now whether or not you're fan of prolonged open beta's is a different thing. Personally I'm against it, but it is what it is.

You go into the game knowing that changes can happen, there'll be some bugs and in extreme cases there may be roll backs or resets.

If people really don't like the system then obviously don't play it.

Absolute nonsense.

What you are allowing and encouraging is for companies to be allowed to redefine terms as they see fit. The entire legal system would crumble to pieces if this were allowed. Grow a spine and hold people accountable. 

• Originally posted by Dren_Utogi
    i want to reroll ?.?

If you don't have any money invested, register a new my.com account using another email address

• WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

You do all realize this is only OBT.

A soft launch to be sure, but still an OBT. Most of the bugs posted here have already been reported. Just head over to their forums and take a look.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else think it's funny he thinks that it's bad it only took 2 hours to unlock a class. For most it will take 6 days or so.

This isn't an 'I want it now' type of game. You actually have to look and plan ahead.

It took 20 hours to unlock a class, not 2. I'm fixing the typo. :) And I personally think that's way too long. Note, personally. Unlocking classes should not be the "core" of the game's progression.

I couldn't agree more. I am not crazy about any of the starting classes and I do not look forward to playing a class or two, that I don't like, for several arduous hours just to get to a class that I might like.  And then I get to start all over again building up that class, all the while crossing my fingers hoping that I like the new one. Nope, I want to enjoy myself from the start. Enjoyment is the only reason I play after all. I do like the game, just not the class choices that I have. I do love the idea of letting us choose our three starting classes, but I can't see that ever happening. 

• WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Killbane
    I am not sure why people want stuff handed to them so much and not earn it. Makes it a lot more rewarding to get there if you had to put effort in.

If you watch the quest map in the abservatory and mouse over missions it will offer to repeat one with double rewards and playing as classes you dont even have unlocked yet with all the abilities. Way better way to test out a class than the practice room and the classes it offers change every 40 minutes or so.

Just my two cents

I have neve seen this. I just went and looked. 

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

#1.  Ugh, sorry to hear you don't like Archer as that's the one I'm working towards.   Other than farming mats to improve your temple and build chapels, there is nothing to do in the game except farm shards for class  progression or unlock.   I don't mind that so much, because the combat play for any one class is fairly complicated, with a lot of combos and ability/talent/symbol influences.  I think if I had all the classes open at once, I'd be a little crazed.  Mastering a class means playing it a lot.  But I bought the collector's edition with Knight, and am very happy I did, although I also find Paladin to be an excellent class to play.   I'm reminded of how Rift originally locked souls behind soul quests before you could play them.  That lasted 2 weeks, IIRC, before they threw in the towel and made all the original souls immediately available. 

#2.  Agree, totally.  The rotating rewards are nice, especially after you cap out on shards, but it is never a good idea to artificially confine what content people can play.  How many times can you do Factory 501 before your head explodes?  Boss fights become extraordinarily tedious after you learn the mechanics.  Did I say long and tedious?  I just avoid some dungeons because the boss fights are so stupid (technical MMO term).   Moreover, some quest lines take you into dungeons or areas that require a high level of competence or expertise in your class to complete.   Just have to wait until your prestige is so great that the content becomes trivial. 

However, I think you may be incorrect about the shards given for the quests in the open territories.  So long as you have not capped out, completing all the quests in a color string will give you progression shards of that color.  And once completed, you can start the map again and do all the quests again if you wish.  Although, you may be right about the individual quests in a string not giving shards after the first time.  (I'm maxed out so I can't test this.)   

#3.  Friends playing with friends.  I don't see any grouping up at all or requests for grouping up. 

To these I'd like to add:

#4.  Abysmal explanation of game systems, from how to change your mount to Alchemist's not being able to target enemies in some modes.  Nothing is well explained.  The Wiki is seriously lacking and the forums are useless.

#5.  Chapel mats being available only once every two days.  If these pop on a group dungeon, you're pretty much screwed for the next two days.

It's pretty clear that the game is designed to slow content consumption as much as possible.  I'm not sure why a developer would target this as a key design element, but that's clearly the main goal.

Lastly, if I think of this as a Diablo 3 like game, I'm much happier with it.  It's MMO qualities are few and certainly can't hold a candle to robustly designed MMOs.  On the other hand, until D3 gets Season 4 underway on live, this fills the gap nicely. 

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Originally posted by keglo
    Originally posted by Killbane
    I am not sure why people want stuff handed to them so much and not earn it. Makes it a lot more rewarding to get there if you had to put effort in.

If you watch the quest map in the abservatory and mouse over missions it will offer to repeat one with double rewards and playing as classes you dont even have unlocked yet with all the abilities. Way better way to test out a class than the practice room and the classes it offers change every 40 minutes or so.

Just my two cents

I have neve seen this. I just went and looked. 

Yes, I've done this repeatedly.  Any time you see a X2 next to a reward, that's a chance to play a different class.  

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76

The devs are responding on the forums, acknowledging areas of development.

The term "open beta" is a pure marketing standpoint. No wipes, selling collector's editions, taking cash... it's launched. That's our stance on reviewing, and it's been that way for a while now. You take money from people and don't plan on wiping progress? That's launched.  They can acknowledge areas as much as they like, and I hope they do, but the game's still out there and accepting players' money.

Agrreed Bill,  you got it right as usual! Open beta always been, in most cases, a game business test for editors to see if that game model worth it.

• AngRazieLAngRazieL Member CommonPosts: 1

I don`t know what you have play exept WoW, but the game have one + that 95% lack of its call balanse, the weekly cap is egual, and to unlock new class you have to go the same pat like evry one els, ther are no op class on PvE (evry class, have diffrent game play, but in the end they are not op) and in PvP they are not op (cos for example:paladin is better then lightbinder, and the lightbinder is better then crio, and so).So pls dont tell ppl "the game is bad" only cos you don`t understand it.

Tnx

• AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by narg1

I think, that you absolutely dont understand, what meaning of "MONETIZATION" is.

1.) this game is MMO, why do you think, that you will have all classes after 30h of playing ,this game is planned to play it for YEARS (for common players) its why all unlock cost so much gems, AND why its all cost so much gems ?? Cuz PREMIUM, with premium, you will get double gems for reward, double loot etc and WHY premium? CUZ MONEY, and its what my.com wants, MONEY, they are no charity!

yes, I understand but It looks that you cannot progress at your own pace if you want and you have the time to do it, even if you are a subscriber. I find the system a sword with double edge, a hard balance between a fair f2p system and not being p2w. If this week I am on holidays and I want to progress more, I cannot do it. The odds are that I won't return when I have time to play because there are too many games out there to play and Skyforge is not so good to catch me among others. When they claim that the game is designed to last years, I am sure they have made his market analisys and their numbers of base players they need to be economically viable. I guess I am not their target.

^.^'

• AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Atm my biggest gripe is the class unlock for me.

I know, I know, paladin is a tank, but I want to be a dps and until I can unlock slayer, I'm forced to be a tank which can't hold aggro vs cryo cause their damage is insane compared to mine.

Concerning your problem holding aggro with a paladin, I have not had any myself. I would suggest to look for these ones:

- a talent that increase the aggro your damage does by 100% I think.

- a talent that increase the damage and aggro you do the fist 8 or 12 seconds in a fight by 20%.

- a talent that makes your charge to also taunt the mob for 4 secs. The rank 2, also pulls all the mobs around to you.

- an spell that does a big aoe aggro and has an small cool down. Useful for kiting if you cannot survive the melee damage of big pulls which blast off your bubble in no time and the support guy in your group is newbie ;-)

^.^'

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Its one of the reasons (meh combat being the other main one) I haven't tried this game yet; What nonsense is that? I have to play something I dislike to get rewarded with the class i want? WHY?! No. Not happening. Not ever.

Imagine in real life; you want that refreshing coke? Well, okay, but first you have to drink this spoiled milk. Go ahead. ... No!

So yeah, that's my biggest problem with the game right there. Horrible, horrible gamedesign.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by AzucarSalado
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

Atm my biggest gripe is the class unlock for me.

I know, I know, paladin is a tank, but I want to be a dps and until I can unlock slayer, I'm forced to be a tank which can't hold aggro vs cryo cause their damage is insane compared to mine.

Concerning your problem holding aggro with a paladin, I have not had any myself. I would suggest to look for these ones:

- a talent that increase the aggro your damage does by 100% I think.

- a talent that increase the damage and aggro you do the fist 8 or 12 seconds in a fight by 20%.

- a talent that makes your charge to also taunt the mob for 4 secs. The rank 2, also pulls all the mobs around to you.

- an spell that does a big aoe aggro and has an small cool down. Useful for kiting if you cannot survive the melee damage of big pulls which blast off your bubble in no time and the support guy in your group is newbie ;-)

Well, I don't want to tank ^^

So I'm not going the route of aggro but damage until I unlock slayer.

• AlyassusAlyassus Member UncommonPosts: 2

Frustration Number Two – Content availability is annoying. The overworld map of available content and its rewards is constantly cycling on 40 minute timers. Meaning you can’t just do the content you want to do, you can only do what the game wants you to do at any given time. 

On top of that, the open zones, though filled with repetitive kill quests, are some of the game's only try "MMO-like" areas. And yet you only seem to get sparks for completing these zones once.

This is not really something where Skyforge is at fault. Other MMORPGs have even less choice. In other MMOs you are progressing linearily through the story going through all the zones in sequence and jumping from one quest hub to another within those zones. You cannot go back to a zone you already progressed through. You will either have done all the quests or you will have outleveld them so you do not get any rewards for redoing them. It is similar with instances. If you want to play instances during your leveling, most games have one or two instances you can play that are for your level at any given time. You have to basically spam the same dungeon over and over again until you leveled up enough to unlock the next dungeon. So, since that is how other MMOs do it, you should actually praise Skyforge for allowing you such a great choice of content that keeps being meaningful.

In addition, while the LFG tool for finding groups for content works well and pairs you up quickly with strangers, I like to play with people I know or “sort of know” from whatever guild I join.

If you want to play with a preformed group, it's a bit unintuitive right now. You have to create your party and then one of you has to select your desired adventure and click on "solo" not on "party finder" when selecting the adventure. In addition, if you have a range of players with varying prestige (the game's "level") then it is usually recommended that the lowest prestige party member start the adventure, in the manner described above.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by MsGamerlady
    I've considered downloading this game a few times recently. Each time I decided against it. I feel something is very off but can't put my finger on it just yet. I feel as though people will get interested in the game then the publisher/devs etc will ruin it somehow ( cash grab possibly).

they are the company behind allods online, a 'f2p' mmo notorious for its heavy handed cash grab attempts (which ended up killing the game through bad reputation)

I remember. That's why I hesitated. I did down load it though and started playing. 

I agree with what others are saying that it's a game that could be much better with some changes. 

For now it's a different game for me to try out while I decompress from others that are on my roster. 

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

And here I am loving the fact I have to unlock classes.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms