Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Time Locked Expansion Servers to Launch Today

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Daybreak Game Company has announced that the two EverQuest II Time Locked Expansion servers, Stormhold (PvE) and Deathtoll (PvP) will launch today for All Access Members. There is no specific information about the time, so keep your eyes peeled for further updates from the team.

Source: EverQuest II site

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I just don't really see the point of these servers.  I guess they are for nostalgia buffs, my guess is that after people get their nostalgia fix these servers will see a decline in population.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    I just don't really see the point of these servers.  I guess they are for nostalgia buffs, my guess is that after people get their nostalgia fix these servers will see a decline in population.

I think it could be a great way of revisiting older content. Since it's quite an old game, most people are focused only on the latest content. These servers artificially shift that focus to other level-bands of content, making it more viable to see all the content there is in the game.

There is an amazing amount of below-80 content in the game, so now you might actually find people to enjoy the content with.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Sadly u need pay sub to join:/ idea is nice tho.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I wish they had the original starting zone, isle of refuge, and you had to start out as a subclass like scout, fighter etc., I will be checking this out. Been playing since beta and will be nice to start out fresh on a new pve server too.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Will level agnostics still be available?
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92

No there will not the the level agnostic zones.

and people like these servers because it allows you to play more aspects of the game, Its a fresh server, a new economy and a chance for players like me who liked the game back in the day but who are not as pleased with what the game has evolved into play again.

I loved EoF and RoK, so I will jump at the chance to play them again.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I'm considering this server.  Unlike EQ, so much has changed with EQ2 in respect not only to class design but also how the game is played, I'm concerned this won't feel like vanilla EQ2. The old zones weren't designed for quest progression, but are no longer really designed for group content either.  

What about the new starting zones like Halas and Darklight Wood?  This combined with the new Freeport and Qeynos quests at least to me make this server feel geared almost entirely towards endgame content.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Except it is an altaholic game,so if you want the older content just roll a new tune.

There is only one reason,new servers tend to create an influx in new spending when a game becomes stagnant.

Daybreak has been on a mission the last year or so to create steady cash flows.Too bad that focus has been heavier than their effort in their games.This server is a weak effort by them to create NEW ideas,H1Z1 was a WEAK attempt at a new cash grab,everything they are doing shows an extreme lack of EFFORT.

Have seen EFFORT in ANY of their games of late?Nope just like i said steady cash grabs.

IMo these servers do absolutely nothing for the game or the players.If it was a non altaholic game then yes i could see the nostalgic feel but as is it does not serve that purpose.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Yay, now there will be people available to actually run old content, unlike what Wizardry is saying above.  I've been playing on Live the past 2 weeks and can't find ANYONE to run content under 100 aside from Agnostic dungeons, so this new server is GREAT for my alts to come up and see each tier of content the way it was meant to be seen.  Also makes crafting in lower tiers meaningful again and I'm also looking forward to that.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by laxie

I think it could be a great way of revisiting older content. Since it's quite an old game, most people are focused only on the latest content. These servers artificially shift that focus to other level-bands of content, making it more viable to see all the content there is in the game.

There is an amazing amount of below-80 content in the game, so now you might actually find people to enjoy the content with.

This/

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

It's not a classic server.  it's a "Time Locked Expansion" -- you'll get to run the old content but not the way it was originally intended.  Too much has changed with the server code and the item database, they aren't going to spend a year to make a true classic server, it would cost them more than they'd probably make.

I'll take this for what it is, and play through RoK for sure.  Had some good times in EoF and RoK.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    What's the crafting situation like?  They didn't go all the way back to how it was at launch right?  It was a bit messy back then.
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Its not classic just like EQ1s are not classic but look at the success of EQ1s.  Easily over 10k people play on the 2 servers which is a great deal of revenue for something that cost them almost nothing to put up.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Do they still have/will they have on these servers, zone elite bosses.  I remember even in the low level zones bringing up things like a sea creature out of the water by dropping something in the lake, that you needed to take down with a friend. 
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Something new... while you can't yet log into tle servers, as they're slated to open 12 pacific, you can go to the character creation screen and it lists the Isle of Refuge zones as starting areas.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Grrr this is killing me wanna play both this and skyforge at same time
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Adjuvant1
    Something new... while you can't yet log into tle servers, as they're slated to open 12 pacific, you can go to the character creation screen and it lists the Isle of Refuge zones as starting areas.

I thought it was just me I saw that too and was like huh are they being sneaky and planning to surprise us, or are they incompetent and just have no idea what they are doing.

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150

They surprised us with bringing the newbie islands back, so that's cool.  I agree with the other posters who said that the game changed  a lot after the RoK expansion.  Alt currency grind, lack of a meaningful overworld in the expansions, nothing new but a few dungeons to rinse and repeat, nothing in expansions except for level capped people, etc. nearly turned the game into a lobby shooter. 

It was not bad with TSO, but EQ2 followed the rest of the genre and kept on that track to the exclusion of everything else.  There is a sense for a lot of people that something was lost by not creating whole player experiences as they did with EoF and RoK.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    Sadly u need pay sub to join:/ idea is nice tho.

^    This.

This was the only SOE Smedley game I did not have any problem with as far as customer relations/customer treatment/game management was concerned.

But I vowed never to become a paying customer of SOE or whatever it is called now again after their User Accounts database hack + leak which leaked ALL customer info of the customers which was stored on a uncrypted server some 3-4y ago.

So I just cherish the old theme music of Freeport, loading music and the old screenshots and memories of a once great game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JFiveJFive Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The Real question is will this server go down the same road as the EQ1 Ragefire progression server?? Now seeing as i was too skeptical to try it i'm only going from what i heard that literally the next day people were at max level and trying to vote on the next expansion which they couldn't yet of course but still going by what i heard and read not actually saw. I played eq2 when it first came out and had some fun i tried going back once or twice, last time was a few months ago and there was nobody around to talk too. Even after leaving the starting zone and checking out a few people i didn't run into anybody for i don't know how many zones so, if you all try this out and its actually vanilla eq2 with people PLEASE let me know. Until then i guess project 1999 will have to get my EQ Nostalgia fix for now.