Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge - Not as bad as people think ( not as P2W as people say it is)

IdeaboxIdeabox Member CommonPosts: 23

Hi all,

Coming back to the game made me realize how wrong I was that this game was as P2W as both myself and many others seem to claim it is. The more that I play it again the more I realize that it is sub to win. This is something that I do not mind at all. I have collected my gear and I am working my way up the tiers without spending a penny next to my sub. I do admit I bought a donkey in the store :D It looks very CUTE ! 

The game is being held back by people that troll it with the P2W screaming every time they see the game being mentioned. Sadly I am 100% sure that 50% of the people that are saying this actually have not tried the game. Does the game have flaws ? YES of course, but that is somethign every game has. You could argue that lotro is P2W too then as you can get scrolls in the store that gives stats ( I know they also drop in dungeons / Used too.  ) 

The game is one of it's kind and after playing black desert I actually got more of a hunger to play AA even more. For some reason Black desert is an example of how to get bored with a game in a week. (That is my opinion).

As we all know at the moment the MMO industry is just crap next to final fantasy, I think AA is a good game for people to spend some time in until the next big thing. The game has a lot of potential and changes have been done to the game ( also are incoming.) No mmo will be perfect, but I believe that people overreact when it comes to AA. I daily see people on the EU servers starting over or joining the game and getting help on a regular base for dungeons and etc. 

For the people that feel held back to try it, I would say give it a shot. Plenty of nice guilds and people around. Pve is maybe not the main focus of the game but if you want a challange you will find it. It is a good game to spending your time on until the next big thing. 

i am not fanboying the game, but I just feel like the game got a totally wrong image and people have the wrong idea about it.

Best regards,

Me

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Actually, people aren't screaming pay to win - it's always been about hack to win.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Actually, people aren't screaming pay to win - it's always been about hack to win.

That and the company just keeps making one bad decision after another how many times was AA in the news and it wasn't good? For what two maybe three months there at one point.....

That's what scared away the player base not the P2W.............. And what I find funny is people were touting this as the next sandbox savior, look at it now......

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Of course its not. Forums are never a good way to judge a game. 
  • DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67

Exactly my point. AA is a game very different from other games. If you enjoy PVP and community based games then this is a very good one. You can play it along with other mmos or single player games. I've been playing it for 5 months on and off, without paying a single penny and I've  always managed to keep patron status and gear 2 chars at the same time. Both my chars are over 3k+ gear score which is a decent score for being able to pvp. 

Listen to people and give it a shot. Join a guild, communicate with other players and just have fun. People have forgotten the meaning of playing mmos....

• IdeaboxIdeabox Member CommonPosts: 23

Sadly even as forums are not a good way to judge  game, people do use it all the time.

The game is growing slowly again and people have been getting back into it, but sadly many still believe that paying a sub these days is even p2w. Someone else mentioned Hack to win, well that is not true either. Actually every game has hackers, it is just AA that gets picked on for it. 

People that are interested to play on Shatigon EU feel free to Pm :D Happy to assist with dungeons or so ( got a lvl  51 healer ) and almost lvl 40 pewpew.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Ideabox

Sadly even as forums are not a good way to judge  game, people do use it all the time.

The game is growing slowly again and people have been getting back into it, but sadly many still believe that paying a sub these days is even p2w. Someone else mentioned Hack to win, well that is not true either. Actually every game has hackers, it is just AA that gets picked on for it. 

People that are interested to play on Shatigon EU feel free to Pm :D Happy to assist with dungeons or so ( got a lvl  51 healer ) and almost lvl 40 pewpew.

if the game was growing, they wouldnt merge servers

yes, every game has hackers, but not so many and open , as AA

AA is in reality only ½ a mmo here in the West, most of the protection doesnt Work with our net structure

that is the reason for its failure, imagine trying to sell a car with no brakes

Well actually to address my statement on growth. 

- The game lost a lot of players around october/ november last year, due to several reasons, one being the archeum tree thing. 

When AA launched they added to many servers to fast as it was big hit the first few weeks, but now they are with to many servers, even with the population growing again (slowly) they will never reach those highest again as at launch. Do note that not all servers are being merged. 

Regarding to the hackers, you are 100% right, still this seems to be used mainly against a few games, while in other games where they are present as well nobody bothers with posting about it.

In general my point is, even that AA has issue's like every mmo. People put the game down without even trying it or seeing what the game is about. As many people use forums to check how well a game is ( sadly ). Sadly these forums actually do no good for AA as 90% of them are about the so called Pay to Win. 

Like I said feel free to try it out again, it is a great game and maybe you will change your mind on what Pay to win is. As sadly not many people actually know the true meaning of it.

As I said before feel free to Message me here on the forum if you play on EU shatigon happy to help a new player with a few dungeons once they get there :) even take you a boat trip :p

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I played all the way to max and had a fun time doing it.  I don't think P2Wd, but I'm not sure of what that means anymore.  I did put some coin into it, but it's a F2P, and I see nothing wrong with supporting the game.  I didn't buy the ancient sword of ultimate slaying that kills all on sight.  I was able to craft more frequently, but that that helped me advance faster, and didn't make me more powerful than those in the same level range.

Is that P2W?  My thought on P2W is you have a significant advantage over your peers (same level).

I self identify as a monkey.

Regarding to the hackers, you are 100% right, still this seems to be used mainly against a few games, while in other games where they are present as well nobody bothers with posting about it.

My main game is GW2 and if you look around you will see how harshly I criticized the WvW hacks and the botting problem in the Cursed Shore.

However only on ArcheAge can it happen to you that an automated script claims land that you were waiting to become available - without anyone being around.

Additionally there were glitches where cash items were duped which lead to a spam on the market.

Feel free to check the history of the game with the insanely long list of game breaking bugs and hacks - however it comes down to:

TL;DR: Trion will never support this game on a reasonable level.

Harbinger of Fools

Exactly my point.

The game is a bit like lotro when it went free to play, it is free to play / try out but subbing gives the best of everything. Now that they changed the labor regen it is actually not that bad anymore either. 

i dont have a big problem with P2W, i have enough Money to use it , if i want

i read AA forums every day, the threads there are reasons enough, to never install it on my PC

i have seen gold ads on their very own forums+ the threads about AFK blocking etc

if a restaurant is covered with rats, im not eating there, even if they make the best stake in town

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Never played this game again after Korean Beta 2-3. At that time it was one of the best sandbox MMOs I've ever experienced. Unfortunate to see what it has become - even if predictable. I blame Jake Song.
    My only question wrt AA is has the siege system ever been addressed/fixed?

My main game is GW2 and if you look around you will see how harshly I criticized the WvW hacks and the botting problem in the Cursed Shore.

However only on ArcheAge can it happen to you that an automated script claims land that you were waiting to become available - without anyone being around.

Additionally there were glitches where cash items were duped which lead to a spam on the market.

Feel free to check the history of the game with the insanely long list of game breaking bugs and hacks - however it comes down to:

GW2 is a game I play on a regular base, and yes the Wvw hacks are really bad, even until today people that I reported 3 months ago are still walking around. Trust me people I reported a while ago in AA still run around too. 

I do agree that some of the bugs in AA were let's say destructive for the game. Even that I agree that  support Trion is not something I would do any time of the day. I believe that AA is not as bad as people claim it to be, if not comes to P2W, Bugs, hacks, ..... I have seen the land claim hack, but then again in PS2 I get killed with wall hacks. Every game has something. 

If people would be so critical about other games many would go down the drain. WvW hacking you do not see being posted on this forum or botting in cursed shore. New players do not always know about this, as they do about AA. :)

Originally posted by drakaena
    Never played this game again after Korean Beta 2-3. At that time it was one of the best sandbox MMOs I've ever experienced. Unfortunate to see what it has become - even if predictable. I blame Jake Song.

no, its actually worse now, they found an exploit to MOVE the Castles, thereby destrying nearby houses

AFAIK , there has only been a handful of succesful sieges in AA ..ever

GW2 is a game I play on a regular base, and yes the Wvw hacks are really bad, even until today people that I reported 3 months ago are still walking around. Trust me people I reported a while ago in AA still run around too. 

I do agree that some of the bugs in AA were let's say destructive for the game. Even that I agree that  support Trion is not something I would do any time of the day. I believe that AA is not as bad as people claim it to be, if not comes to P2W, Bugs, hacks, ..... I have seen the land claim hack, but then again in PS2 I get killed with wall hacks. Every game has something. 

If people would be so critical about other games many would go down the drain. WvW hacking you do not see being posted on this forum or botting in cursed shore. New players do not always know about this, as they do about AA. :)

i dont touch WvW , so it doesnt affect me in any way(at least not directly)

new players cant join WvW until theyre lvl 10(i think), so it doesnt affect them either

new players in AA dont get that luxury

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

In addition to all the P2W stuff and totally clueless devs, AA has some major issues. Despite taking forever to launch in the US the game felt archaic and even though fans praised it as a sandbox half the game was yet another WoW clone. The combat is virtually identical except somehow more spammy and the very disappointing ! quest system in a "sandbox."

The combat animation is cheesy at best and terrible at worst. The non existent choice of races managed to lower the bar on fantasy MMO's. The pvp ended up being very stale due to the "thousands of character build possibilities" ending with only a couple viable choices and P2W features ruining pvp balance.

Overall the best way to describe AA is painfully mediocre. The games popularity has easily reflected that title.

Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by drakaena

no, its actually worse now, they found an exploit to MOVE the Castles, thereby destrying nearby houses

AFAIK , there has only been a handful of succesful sieges in AA ..ever

I believe it was addressed recently this issue, but I heard that on the korean servers there is a bug were galeons can fly :D 

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

I played AA for months, and experienced all of the end game they had to offer at the time. While the RNG crafting and the RNG boxes from the cash shop annoyed me quite a bit, that's not why I quit. I quit when they started dumping the rumbling archeum tree saplings out like crazy. Giving everyone tons of TS trees. Completely destroying that part of the economy. While some were probably happy to spend a ton of real cash to get these as well as Archeum crystals, the only way you could get these saplings was by opening them from boxes in the cash shop. Which is why I would call it p2w. I don't care if you disagree. It killed the game for me, along with my friends/guild as well. I know that Trion doesn't necessarily control what XL puts in there, but they did say they would have a lot of pull when it came to the cash shop, and that there would be NO p2w in AA. They were wrong, therefore both TRION and XL are to blame. 

AA has always had huge potential. In fact I think it's the best game on the market, but it's run by the worst companies. I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If they opened up Sub only -no cash shop- servers, then I would be back in a heartbeat, along with about 20 friends. Unfortunately, this will never happen.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    You'll live longer if you don't listen to what people say things are. Especially with video games. 99 percent of the time people have no idea what thier talking about. Especially when your talking pvp video games. Most people can't even figure out simple systems on how to build a character, with out copying some one else. I recommend keeping your own console on what is p2w or not. I quit personally because I couldn't go 2 feet with out running into a bot, or a spam message.

I think all modern mmos are p2w cause u can just pay some dirty Chinese sweat shop 5 cents a hour and they will give you anything in the game. The only way to stop it, would be to play on a private server where that stuff is highly monitored.
     WvW hacking you do not see being posted on this forum or botting in cursed shore. New players do not always know about this, as they do about AA. :)

If there is that much more coverage about AA hacks and bugs it can only mean one of these 2 things:

Either:

AA is much more popular than GW2

or

AA hacking is a lot more rampant than hacking on GW2

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by mcrippins

I played AA for months, and experienced all of the end game they had to offer at the time. While the RNG crafting and the RNG boxes from the cash shop annoyed me quite a bit, that's not why I quit. I quit when they started dumping the rumbling archeum tree saplings out like crazy. Giving everyone tons of TS trees. Completely destroying that part of the economy. While some were probably happy to spend a ton of real cash to get these as well as Archeum crystals, the only way you could get these saplings was by opening them from boxes in the cash shop. Which is why I would call it p2w. I don't care if you disagree. It killed the game for me, along with my friends/guild as well. I know that Trion doesn't necessarily control what XL puts in their, but they did say they would have a lot of pull when it came to the cash shop, and that there would be NO p2w in AA. They were wrong, therefore both TRION and XL are to blame. 

AA has always had huge potential. In fact I think it's the best game on the market, but it's run by the worst companies. I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If they opened up Sub only -no cash shop- servers, then I would be back in a heartbeat, along with about 20 friends. Unfortunately, this will never happen.

Even that I disagree on somethings, the Tree are a good example were it went very wrong!

Actually was the reason I left as well, I returned about 2-3 months ago now and have to say that I not problem now with the trees ( I got every lucky lately :p ).

The suggestion of having a server with just a sub, would be great and yes I think that a server like that could actually bring back atleast 20 -25% of the people that left over time. 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Hi all,

Coming back to the game made me realize how wrong I was that this game was as P2W as both myself and many others seem to claim it is. The more that I play it again the more I realize that it is sub to win. This is something that I do not mind at all. I have collected my gear and I am working my way up the tiers without spending a penny next to my sub. I do admit I bought a donkey in the store :D It looks very CUTE ! 

The game is being held back by people that troll it with the P2W screaming every time they see the game being mentioned. Sadly I am 100% sure that 50% of the people that are saying this actually have not tried the game. Does the game have flaws ? YES of course, but that is somethign every game has. You could argue that lotro is P2W too then as you can get scrolls in the store that gives stats ( I know they also drop in dungeons / Used too.  ) 

The game is one of it's kind and after playing black desert I actually got more of a hunger to play AA even more. For some reason Black desert is an example of how to get bored with a game in a week. (That is my opinion).

As we all know at the moment the MMO industry is just crap next to final fantasy, I think AA is a good game for people to spend some time in until the next big thing. The game has a lot of potential and changes have been done to the game ( also are incoming.) No mmo will be perfect, but I believe that people overreact when it comes to AA. I daily see people on the EU servers starting over or joining the game and getting help on a regular base for dungeons and etc. 

For the people that feel held back to try it, I would say give it a shot. Plenty of nice guilds and people around. Pve is maybe not the main focus of the game but if you want a challange you will find it. It is a good game to spending your time on until the next big thing. 

i am not fanboying the game, but I just feel like the game got a totally wrong image and people have the wrong idea about it.

Best regards,

Me

I am sure you made a new friend in DMKano.

You obviously were not around when the game released. The game as it is now is very different from the game that was ni alpha. Trion/XL destroyed the economy with a cash shop that allowed you to pay to win, period. The more real money you spent the faster you could get EVERYTHING. I don't have any idea how it is now, but the damage was done. They destoryed the economy, they destroyed any reason for crafting. Besides, the p2w and economy crap is only a fraction of the reason people left that game in droves. Hacking and the premature release of so many other things had a play too.

You are right, it certainly had potential. Trion/XL already went down the path of no return of that one. This game is as good today as it will ever get. Sorry but true.

And you can say 50% of the people who don't like it neever tried it all you want, seeing as though it is f2p I think your logic sucks. Just because you and DMKano like it does not negate the fact the majority of people do not. You like something most people don't. If the thought of that ruins your self-esteem or something maybe you need a counselor. There is nothing wrong with you liking this game. There is something wrong with you telling me I should too.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by simplius

i dont have a big problem with P2W, i have enough Money to use it , if i want

i read AA forums every day, the threads there are reasons enough, to never install it on my PC

i have seen gold ads on their very own forums+ the threads about AFK blocking etc

if a restaurant is covered with rats, im not eating there, even if they make the best stake in town

Approach AA forums with a critical mind - note the users that scream the loudest and you will see a pattern emerge.

Look at those massive threads with 2000+ replies - download the whole thread - you'll see that there is a group of about 40 players that have over 200+ negative replies each making up the bulk of those massive threads.

Bottom line - there is a very small group that bashea incessantly on official forums - that is their entire agenda. 

Trion is far too lenient on their official forums, but this has been their policy for years. 

yea, every forum has its haters and fanbois, but there are still enough  different  names , to give them weight

threads and forums are only ½ of the pattern though, the rest comes from the actions, the devs take

in this case, they both say the same

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240

I am playing this like a dog. I can't quit, not yet. That's only because I feel obligated to play, for the $170 I invested in the game (Alpha pack and $20 on wagon upgrade ticket). I am farming like a dog, turning packs like a dog, buying apex like a dog, just so I can have enough credit to sub like a dog! Yet on the other hand people can P2W 10k gold, 20k gold, or even 30k gold for a piece of gear. You may claim that the amount of cash you have to pay to actually win Archeage is absurb.. Then again, I don't suppose you expected to win a open world PvP game by just few hundreds, or just few thousands.

You can say that nobody forced me to do all of these; I can only say that I regrettably dropped the money I could've used to do something else, and regrettably trying to make them last a while. Only regrits.

WvW hacking you do not see being posted on this forum or botting in cursed shore. New players do not always know about this, as they do about AA. :)

If there is that much more coverage about AA hacks and bugs it can only mean one of these 2 things:

Either:

AA is much more popular than GW2

or

AA hacking is a lot more rampant than hacking on GW2

which answer will give me some new shoes?

im just too lazy, to go and buy some