Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar

apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Anyone else loving this game? I bought a founders pack for 45$ (And I don't have to pay all one shot, 12$ a month). It reminds me so much of UO except its 3D. Graphics are really nice. I hate that its only a pre-alpha now. I wish it was closed to final release. There is quite a bit you can do ingame for a pre-alpha. I can only imagine what it will be like on final release.

It also reminds me of Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I'm thinking that on final release you'll be able to break into player houses and pick locks, steal things etc. Like in old school UO. I usually regret MMO purchases but I am glad I got SOTA. Only thing I don't like is that its only pre-alpha.

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I've *wanted* to be a founder for this game, but my better senses kept me from doing it. I am glad I didn't. I was super unhappy when I read that players can purchase prime pieces of land. And correct if I am wrong, but the largest buildings are for the highest paying founders only right? 

Well, that so happens to be the exact kind of thing I hate with MMO's now a days. So, regardless of how much I want to scratch my UO itch, I can't support this game. Its against some of my strongest principles. 

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I like the concept of this game, kinda "supposed" to be like an MMORPG mini-series that I think is going to surprise quite a few groups. I expect the first couple of "episodes" to be quite a frantic hayday and if it lives up to the lineage and what is being displayed it could very well end up a modern day classic and is the main reason I have been a backer since day one.

I expect the final episodes will see more story and eventually wind down to one day be a full adventure from beginning to end rather than "just" an MMORPG. It feels as if this is definitely Richard Garriott's swan song so to say. 

If all the PvP, story and crafting/housing issues are put into place correctly this game could very well be a self contained experience as an online Adventure game more than just an MMORPG. A really nice online Adventure game, where people live, play and are wary of the rogue in the woods.

I'm enjoying it and like alot of what I see, but more than anything I like what it can be and it seems to be getting closer all the time. 

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    A newer version of UO would be great, however... Once I read that some personal storymode or offline gameplay was available, that was it for me, I stopped even paying attention to this one. Fact is, given that specific point, this game will seem dead faster than most if I had to guess. Thus, it does not seem worth buying into.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Originally posted by madazz

I've *wanted* to be a founder for this game, but my better senses kept me from doing it. I am glad I didn't. I was super unhappy when I read that players can purchase prime pieces of land. And correct if I am wrong, but the largest buildings are for the highest paying founders only right? 

Well, that so happens to be the exact kind of thing I hate with MMO's now a days. So, regardless of how much I want to scratch my UO itch, I can't support this game. Its against some of my strongest principles. 

Yeah, me too. Among a few other things. But this particular issue, along with the talk about houses used as trade centers like UO, I get a strong feeling that RMT will be a big thing in this game.

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Doesn't it cost $50 for a real small house and $150 for a bigger house ?....This my friends is bad, just wrong !

Besides, it has small zones and heavy instance.  Zero to anything groundbreaking, in fact a step backwards for mechanics hiding behind nostalgia.

How can anyone say its good ?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Originally posted by delete5230

Doesn't it cost $50 for a real small house and $150 for a bigger house ?....This my friends is bad, just wrong !

Besides, it has small zones and heavy instance.  Zero to anything groundbreaking, in fact a step backwards for mechanics hiding behind nostalgia.

Maybe because not everyone shares your tastes and foibles?  And they are trying to do it very much on the cheap.  You aren't going to get perfection.

I'll check it out when it's  more towards release.   One surprising bit is that they're reliably managing to release  upgrades monthly.  That's shocking for a Garriott team.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

The way they're going about the combat system is one thing putting me off, they're trying to go all out different for the sake of being different. I don't like the card deck idea being part of combat, what's wrong with setting up max of three or four abilities of your choice you can activate in real time with button presses for your personal style is beyond me.  They're being too suborn on sticking with the card deck idea for the bases of combat instead of seeing more sense in a real time use of ability approach where the outcome down your thinking and actions, not  a random outcome from a card deck stack.

Block when you want to block, swing when you want to swing, cast that spell went you want is a much better arrangement  than the one based on a card deck arrangement that might lead to the outcome you want.  The second thing is, and I'm not sure if its just a place holder, but leaving a area to travel, that pulled back screen of your little avatar moving on a map is a game breaker for me. It's like a little graphical lobby you can move around in to get to the instance exit for a zone, what a rubbish idea.  Keeping this isometric and world seamless would have been much better imho.

• piri885piri885 Member CommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by apb2011

Anyone else loving this game? I bought a founders pack for 45$ (And I don't have to pay all one shot, 12$ a month). It reminds me so much of UO except its 3D. Graphics are really nice. I hate that its only a pre-alpha now. I wish it was closed to final release. There is quite a bit you can do ingame for a pre-alpha. I can only imagine what it will be like on final release.

It also reminds me of Elder Scrolls Oblivion. I'm thinking that on final release you'll be able to break into player houses and pick locks, steal things etc. Like in old school UO. I usually regret MMO purchases but I am glad I got SOTA. Only thing I don't like is that its only pre-alpha.

I enjoy it very much. It is a very fun game where role-playing is encouraged, like a live-action role player's dream. Have not played it recently much. The game is very promising. It is one of those online games where people interact. It wouldn't hurt if they added the ability to place phrases on the hot bar, things like, "How are you?," and "Thank you."

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

I just like how it reminds me of UO. I won't be playing it hardcore until it gets out of alpha. I spoke to one player in game and he said the devs wiped all of his stuff. So with that being said, I will keep my eye on it until its out of Alpha. And its not even in Alpha its in pre-alpha.

As for the ones saying they don't like offline. I am the same way, I don't really pay attention to offline games, but most of the playerbase in SOTA plays the MMO part.

• jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus
    A newer version of UO would be great, however... Once I read that some personal storymode or offline gameplay was available, that was it for me, I stopped even paying attention to this one. Fact is, given that specific point, this game will seem dead faster than most if I had to guess. Thus, it does not seem worth buying into.

I'm more interested in the single player offline mode, where it will play just like any other single player RPG.  Well, hopefully anyways.  At least in this mode you can experience the game in its purity, without all this nonsense of player towns and player property and especially that ca$h shop.  You can get all that junk in offline mode with in-game gold.

But sure, there are those that only like the MMO-like multiplayer modes and quite a few that have cash to burn to buy all them towns and houses.

• jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115

Only buy that stuff with cash if you got money just lying around.  If I ever decide to get housing for the multiplayer online modes, I'm just going to get it using in-game gold.  Sure, it'll take longer to earn it, but I don't have to fork out the cash for overpriced houses.

I don't mind the instances so much as the small zones.  Some of them are absolutely tiny, which is fine for some experiences but if I'm running around the forests or whatever, I'd expect expansive areas to explore.  Right now they're just too small to feel like you're really exploring.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by jtripper

Only buy that stuff with cash if you got money just lying around.  If I ever decide to get housing for the multiplayer online modes, I'm just going to get it using in-game gold.  Sure, it'll take longer to earn it, but I don't have to fork out the cash for overpriced houses.

I don't mind the instances so much as the small zones.  Some of them are absolutely tiny, which is fine for some experiences but if I'm running around the forests or whatever, I'd expect expansive areas to explore.  Right now they're just too small to feel like you're really exploring.

Buying a house or waiting for a free one is not my point.........CHARGING FOR THEM IS !

This shows where there morals are !........Get the players money any way you can !

And I don't need to see developers have to eat too.....This is corrupting the mmo market !

• sadira86sadira86 Member UncommonPosts: 1

If you like Ultima Online ( i loved it ^^ ) then take a look at Albion Online

https://albiononline.com

Its 3d but in classic ultima perspective, building, crafting farming, and if you can risk it, go to red zones, do pvp with full loot ^^

you can play the same full game on pc and on tablets.

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited May 2016

Id go with albion online

Post edited by Rawyn on
  • AlamonzoroAlamonzoro Member UncommonPosts: 120
    or Lord British the video game the movie the video game the mmo