Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with terminology - Survival Sandbox?

KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I need help with terminology.  I've seen this a couple places but can't pick out the meaning from context in conversation.

Survival Sandbox?

It sounds to me like a third person shooter (sort of, maybe tab target) where you roll a character, scavenge for materials, try to stay alive, and if you get killed (PK) it's drop your stuff and perma-death to start over from scratch.  Maybe some monsters / zombies thrown in as trash mobs.

Of course this is rough (probably incorrect), and I might not have mechanics right, and they would be different from game to game anyways.

Any info would be helpful.  I've seen this 'survival' word come up a few times in a game that I'm following (Factions), and I don't understand the significance of it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Comments

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    I wouldn't overthink it. Survival sandbox would be xyson, fallen earth etc. No implied perma death or mechanics like third person.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Personally , i think Survival Sandbox only good as sinpleplayer or small multiplayer where you can mod the game in way you like.

I just don't feel like playing MMO survival sandbox , cause there are no reason to mess with other player.

After all , what's reason to survival on MMO ?

Survival mean to win , but there are no win in MMO so survival is pointless

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

Personally , i think Survival Sandbox only good as sinpleplayer or small multiplayer where you can mod the game in way you like.

I just don't feel like playing MMO survival sandbox , cause there are no reason to mess with other player.

After all , what's reason to survival on MMO ?

Survival mean to win , but there are no win in MMO so survival is pointless

I think your only looking at the survival side of it. And, survival doesn't have to have a clear win state. Generally the idea is that you get to the point where you are no longer just surviving but thriving. But there doesn't have to be an 'end to the ordeal' to make the experience valuable. Dead Frontier is an example of a survival sandbox working for an  MMORPG environment (not the best executed, but still technically serviceable). However, I can agree that it demonstrably comes across better in single player to multiplayer/co-op form, then it does with MMORPG form. But I think it is just because when you are more alone, survival game play feels more potent.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Ark Survival Evolved pure survival sandbox.

Ever evolving world where you can change whole world by building starting from simple tatch hut to hightech building.

In the mean while you have to survive the prehistoric dinosaurus and players.

Survival sandbox at its best, awesome game.

Servers you have is pve/pvp/hardcore pvp perma death also primtive servers where tech is limited.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Pretty much people seem to refer to any game that has scrounging for food/gear/materials as being "survival", and any game that has open worlds where creature levels are not defined by region or instance to be "sandbox".
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Sandbox(minecraft) and pure survival(Ark:Survival(permadeath purist form try it very hardcore)).

I always thought DayZ was sandbox survival and to some extend it is, but after playing A:SE i know the definition of sandbox survival and ARK is definition of that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by rounner
    I wouldn't overthink it. Survival sandbox would be xyson, fallen earth etc. No implied perma death or mechanics like third person.

Agreed. Minecraft survival mode would also be considered a survival sandbox. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

If that's the goal of the game and game mechanics, why would a sane developer put the extra effort into making it an MMO?  

You are not changing your core game play loop or similar by adding more players into the mix. you might even be making the core game play loop worse.  Since it's now harder to balance the number of players in an area.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by rounner

Agreed. Minecraft survival mode would also be considered a survival sandbox. 

Thanks.  Very helpful.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.