Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky = Death of Star Citizen?

2»

Comments

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168

Star Citizen seems like it will be what most MMO gamers are looking for. But just because it got 80 million in funding doesn't automatically mean that it will be good.

APB (All Points Bulletin) cost over 120 million to develop and look at what a piece of shit that game is.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Nope, these two games are vastly different.

SC's main theme is space combat, whereas NMS has exploration as it's primary focus.

As is abundantly clear from the range of comments in this thread, nobody knows exactly what NMS game play will entail. We've seen plenty of ingame video footage, but other than flying from planet to planet on a galactic sightseeing trip, the meat-and-potatoes remains a mystery.

I'm sure NMS will be a fun game. For a week or two... But I find that exploring for the sake of exploring gets boring fairly quickly in a video game when there's no real purpose to it.

There are people that spend their lives flying around the Elite galaxy looking at different-colored globes. That's all they do. They are exploring and they are perfectly happy. To each his own.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Is this game for console and pc?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Nope, these two games are vastly different.

SC's main theme is space combat, whereas NMS has exploration as it's primary focus.

As is abundantly clear from the range of comments in this thread, nobody knows exactly what NMS game play will entail. We've seen plenty of ingame video footage, but other than flying from planet to planet on a galactic sightseeing trip, the meat-and-potatoes remains a mystery.

I'm sure NMS will be a fun game. For a week or two... But I find that exploring for the sake of exploring gets boring fairly quickly in a video game when there's no real purpose to it.

There are people that spend their lives flying around the Elite galaxy looking at different-colored globes. That's all they do. They are exploring and they are perfectly happy. To each his own.

Not really. If you head over to IGN First's NMS covrerage there is much more than just game play videos. The 18 minute one is all about the developer and IGN staff discussing it in depth while they play the game and is full of details and there are several other videos focusing on other specifics.

It isn't just exploration: there is also fighting, trading, mining, upgrading ship and equipment as well as a story line.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by ShortyBible
    Is this game for console and pc?

PS4 and PC... no word on XB1.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Chris Roberts said that he is interested in NMS and will try the game when it releases. Do not forget that he backed Elite Dangerous, he is playing it and has a positive opinion about the game. His general consensus towards space sims is "the more the merrier".
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Chris Roberts said that he is interested in NMS and will try the game when it releases. Do not forget that he backed Elite Dangerous, he is playing it and has a positive opinion about the game. His general consensus towards space sims is "the more the merrier".

WHich should really be anyone who is a fan of the genres opinion, as long as they're good games of course.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Shodanas

Amen to that. It's been a long drought.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I very much doubt it. It's looking awesome that's for sure, but No Man's Sky seems to go for a very much different approach and public than Star Citizen.

More procedural instead of hand-crafted, with less emphasis on dog fighting, combat and realism.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by apb2011

Star Citizen seems like it will be what most MMO gamers are looking for. But just because it got 80 million in funding doesn't automatically mean that it will be good.

APB (All Points Bulletin) cost over 120 million to develop and look at what a piece of shit that game is.

I agree, SW:TOR cost $200M for development.  Duke Nukem Forever took, well, forever to be developed and they didn't do anything revolutionary.  The way Roberts talks his game up, he'll have to come up with more than just $85M and they might have peaked on ship sales.  Unless "real" progress is made (as in not lip service) ship sales will stagnate.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azarhal

Originally posted by Kobao
    Dunno how SC is, but the gameplay introduction video I saw of NMS didn't scream space sim to me, very lightweight game, except for the vastness of the space. No sim features, quick jumping from planet to planet, arcade controls. Collect pretty aliens and collect coins... Also didn't see there's much of the EVE style social/PvP/interesting economy/logistics/scamming stuff.

NMS is not a space sim, it's an exploration sim...and it's not really multiplayer either. It's going to be pretty niche in the end.

Nope it will not be niche, it was actually a PS4 exclusive until they included the PC. It's not an MMO although it has a similar online system to Dark Souls.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Iselin

Not really. If you head over to IGN First's NMS covrerage there is much more than just game play videos. The 18 minute one is all about the developer and IGN staff discussing it in depth while they play the game and is full of details and there are several other videos focusing on other specifics.

It isn't just exploration: there is also fighting, trading, mining, upgrading ship and equipment as well as a story line.

Thanks for the link, that did help to fill in some of the gaps.

Still not sure that I have a real "feel" for the game play, but I'll certainly give it a go when it releases.

Looks like NMS has far, far more in common with Elite: Dangerous than with Star Citizen.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I very much doubt it. It's looking awesome that's for sure, but No Man's Sky seems to go for a very much different approach and public than Star Citizen.

More procedural instead of hand-crafted, with less emphasis on dog fighting, combat and realism.

Don't think many space games have more than a passing relationship with realism.  Most are based on biplane or WWII fighter combat models.    

NMS looks fun, but definitely does not mine the same territory.    Just wish it was co-op.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    Originally posted by apb2011

I agree, SW:TOR cost $200M for development.  Duke Nukem Forever took, well, forever to be developed and they didn't do anything revolutionary.  The way Roberts talks his game up, he'll have to come up with more than just $85M and they might have peaked on ship sales.  Unless "real" progress is made (as in not lip service) ship sales will stagnate.

I might be wrong but I think you have to spend 80$ on a ship to be able to play alpha, and they got other ships for way more than 80$. When the game is released and all the people that dropped 2 grand on ships start playing and realize that this game isn't as revolutionary as it was hyped, they'll realize they got burned. What can the developers possibly do that hasn't been done already.

I have been saying this for a while, but until the way we play games changes (Hardware, input etc) we won't be seeing much innovation. As an example, VR. This totally changes the way games are played. Therefore new ideas and mechanics can be tested out and implemented. But even that will eventually get boring.

Look at SkyForge, a new and supposedly AAA game. Everything in that game has been done in other games. Nothing innovative about that. I'm not shitting on SkyForge, its a decent game. But all the new games coming out will be just like the old ones, give or take a few differences in innovation.

• TswordZTswordZ Member UncommonPosts: 66

Actually, you need a "pledge" of 45 dollars to play the alpha, not 80. They sometimes do some sales (maybe one in november, for the anniversary) and put them on 20 or 25 dollars.

I guess the "revolutionary" is more about doing things bigger, with top graphics, lot of inmersion and giving more options to different playstyles. They also want to end with the "Press F to Mine" or things like that putting some mechanics on them.

I see No man's sky more about exploration, as Elite. Different type of games, really.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

"We are going to have a way for players to communicate with each other. "

Uh, .....

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Iselin

Thanks for the link, that did help to fill in some of the gaps.

Still not sure that I have a real "feel" for the game play, but I'll certainly give it a go when it releases.

Looks like NMS has far, far more in common with Elite: Dangerous than with Star Citizen.

Yeah, thanks for the info. Of the 3 space games this one probably has the most appeal to me so far, at least on paper.

Elite sounded cool, but I don't like the distributed server model and me using my crappy bandwidth to try and play with others.

Yeah. I see NMS as an "Elite Lite" in some ways. Sometimes I don't really feel like thinking too much and just want to sit back and enjoy something with little or no micromanagement and I think NMS  will fill that spot.

I was actually searching for just that kind of thing in a 4X space game the other night - something like Master of Orion -- but I couldn't find anything. I do like the more complex ones but often I'm in the mood for something lighter.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED