Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't like Everquest..

Willa22Willa22 Member Posts: 42

is everquest like FFXI like fights?

Comments

• In Everquest, you just press whatever button you've assigned for the character to 'auto attack' and you just sit & watch 'til the monster's dead.  Of course, spells/skills/placement is all up to the player to use and adjust during battle.

From what I have heard though, EQ is in the process of implementing a new melee system similar to chaining here on FFXI.

• SavoSavo Member Posts: 25

I dunno if is better of everquest but from votes and from screns it sounds cool!image 

• Willa22Willa22 Member Posts: 42

• ZoharZohar Member Posts: 673

Fighting in Final Fantasy XI is very exciting and innovative provided you learn a little a bit about their combat system. There are several elements that make up the FFXI combat system, they will be explained below:

• Tactical Points: When you hit an opponent with a melee attack, you gain 6% tactical points. Upon getting hit by a melee attack, you gain 3% tactical points. Upon reaching 100% Tactical points you may now perform a weapon skill. If you wish, you may save your TP up as much as you'd like, to a maximum of 300%. The more TP you have over 100%, the more effective the weapon skill is.
    • Weapon Skills: I've heard many people equate weapon skills to limit breaks as in Final Fantasy VII. Weapon Skills allow you to gain an extra attack with your weapon, often yielding in increased damage, status effects, or even attacks that effect multiple enemies. Weapon skills are gained when your skill (think of your 1H Slashing skill in Everquest for example) with a particular group of weapons. The first weapon skill is always gained at 10 points. An example of a weapon skill is pentathrust for polearms, this attack allows you to strike 5 times in a single round of combat. Each weapon skill does something different, such as granting an extra attack (sometimes with a certain element) or giving a status effect such as poison to an enemy.
    • Abilities: Every character class in FFXI has it's own set of unique skills and abilities. These range from Provoke for a warrior (think Taunt in Everquest) to Attack boost for a monk (grants a bonus to attack and damage). Each job also gets a two hour ability, which (go figure) can be used only once every two hours. These abilities are near god-like, especially in combat. The range from having zero casting time, having unlimited mana, dodging every hit, healing the entire party for almost full hit points (think group Lay Hands in Everquest). These abilities are usually very short in duration but they are definitely quite powerful!
    • skill chains/magic bursts: Without going into too much detail (ask me another day), weapon skills add a great deal of depth to combat. These allow you to effectively do "combo" attacks (think Chrono Trigger) when two or more group members use certain weapon skills in succession. Mages can also get in on the fun by casting certain spells in between or at the end of a skill chain, creating a "magic burst".
    • Experience Chains: By fighting many Even Match monsters or harder in succession, bonus exp is given. This encourages chain pulling and in very efficient groups with no down time, with exp chains the experience is amazing.
    • Elemental Weaknesses: Almost every monster is weak versus a certain element (some are not). This allows you to stategize each fight if you wish, to deal even more damage to an enemy. Combined with skill chains and magic bursts, you can effectively take down an impossible mob with only some difficulty.

Hopefully this will give you guys some insight into the combat system of FFXI. I may have missed a few minor details but this should give you an idea =)

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-
    E-mail: [email protected]

• Willa22Willa22 Member Posts: 42
    wow thanks i think i get it now image

As long as you like grouping, and you can make it to level 12 or so, you'll probably love FFXI. It can be a bit of a struggle to get to level 11 or 12, when you really start to group, but when you do it's a ton of fun. Read up on skill chains, there are various websites with info about them. Sometimes you may have to explain them  to a group but everyone is new for the most part so everyone is learning =)

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-

tnx for the info staff

No problem guys =). If you get the game with a friend, and both of you need to be on the same server, send me an e-mail (bottom of my sig) and I'll see what I can do. The random server selection thing really isn't as bad as everyone makes it sound, especially if you don't have any friends that play. If you want to make enough money for a world pass get signet cast on you by a guard near the game with a name like "Fred I.M." or "Bentaru W.W." (this makes your character able to loot crystals), and fight a monster that drops fire,wind, or lightning crystals over and over. In anywhere from 20-60 minutes you'll have about 12 crystals (a stack). Go to the Auction House (an online store where players can sell their items, even when offline), look up the prices for them (1,500 for 12 wind, 2,000 for fire, and 1800 for lightning on my server) and sell them. In anywheres from an hour to a day a player should buy them.

(I had to delete my post below this one, I some how double posted =P)

-=MMORPG.COM Staff=-

• Teran1987Teran1987 Member UncommonPosts: 202
    everquest is stupid unlike DAOC(Dark Age of Camelot) where theres alot more to do and its sorta bigger, you also fight in Realm Versus Realm, there r 3 total realms who fight against each other, its fun, you can also make seige weapons like a catapult, a battering ram, a trebuchet and others.

"May the blood of those I slay stain my hands forever."

"Life is not judged by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."