Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Guild of Dungeoneering Review: Casual, Friendly and Drama Free

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Guild of Dungeoneering is a beautifully simplistic strategy RPG that hearkens to the many days spent with table-top RPGs. With a gorgeous but minimal art style, addictive progression, and loads of charm this might be the perfect game for just about all of you out there.

Read more of Chris Swain's review, Guild of Dungeoneering: Casual, Friendly & Drama Free.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

Good review, thanks!

Now I wonder how long until some troll jumps in yelling at you because this game isn't an MMORPG.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Franconstein

Good review, thanks!

Now I wonder how long until some troll jumps in yelling at you because this game isn't an MMORPG.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, tbh.  God forbid that someone enjoy a game that doesn't "belong" on this site and try to spread the word about it!

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    It is a good game.  The only thing I have against it is that I was finished in 12 hours and it doesn't have any other things to do after that at all. 
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Good review, thanks!

Maybe rebrand the website to MMO&RPG....  solves a LOT of issues.

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by centkin
    It is a good game.  The only thing I have against it is that I was finished in 12 hours and it doesn't have any other things to do after that at all. 

While your "I tend to get discontent when I run out of content" is probably a pun / joke, even if it's not, what's wrong with the length of a game? I'd rather have a short game that keeps the pace going during its entirety than have a 200-hour game that's nothing but fillers. Examples of great games that aren't too long but are great anyway:

Max Payne

Bioshock

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Heavy Rain

Beyond: Two Souls

Child of Light

Ori & The Blind Forest

And the list goes on and on. 12 hours is more than okay to me, especially for a $15 game.

Edit: Typos.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Heavy Rain

JASON!

JAAASON!

JASOOON!!!

JASON!!!!

JASON!!!!!!!

JAAAAASSSSOOOONNNNN!!!!

https://youtu.be/efZ0n2jpPJw?t=2m51s

• ApollosWillApollosWill Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by Chris Swain

- Choosing the best of three battle cards is the extent of the game's battle tactics

- Sadly, the gear is removed at the end of each dungeon and your hero looked just as he did when joining the guild

- I rarely felt my choices, directed my hero's decisions

- As soon as I unlocked the barbarian class, I rarely faced a foe, I couldn't defeat

I saw the game on steam, and was intrigued. Than I read this review. The score of the review looks good, but the above (at least in my opinion), seem like cons, and something that is not fun.

Is this a game, where you can just sit back in the chair, and click without any kind of thoughts? I really enjoy Darkest Dungeon, because of all the decisions you have to make (risk vs. reward).

From what I read in this review, this game seem in the complete opposite direction. Am I right (hopefully not)? If wrong, please tell me how I misread the above?

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Good review, thanks!

I don't yell,  but I would rather see the energy of this good website be directed towards MMORPGs.   It wasted my time having to skim the article to find out it was not even multiplayer. 

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by Zarriyar. 

• Chris_SwainChris_Swain Member UncommonPosts: 5
    It is not an MMORPG but it is an RPG which is part of what is covered here at MMORPG. :)
  • Chris_SwainChris_Swain Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by ApollosWill
    Originally posted by Chris Swain

- Choosing the best of three battle cards is the extent of the game's battle tactics

- Sadly, the gear is removed at the end of each dungeon and your hero looked just as he did when joining the guild

- I rarely felt my choices, directed my hero's decisions

- As soon as I unlocked the barbarian class, I rarely faced a foe, I couldn't defeat

I saw the game on steam, and was intrigued. Than I read this review. The score of the review looks good, but the above (at least in my opinion), seem like cons, and something that is not fun.

Is this a game, where you can just sit back in the chair, and click without any kind of thoughts? I really enjoy Darkest Dungeon, because of all the decisions you have to make (risk vs. reward).

From what I read in this review, this game seem in the complete opposite direction. Am I right (hopefully not)? If wrong, please tell me how I misread the above?

Hey Apollos, there is certainly more to it than sitting back in a chair and clicking with little thought. Your best bet might be to watch some people play it live on Twitch or YouTube to see if it is for you or not. I didn't think I would like it and ended up really enjoying it. It certainly isn't the greatest game but it worth $14.99 and has terrific DLC potential IMHO. Good luck!