Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please tell me there are other sandbox games!

BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
I am so Sick of that griefers paradise called EVE Online.  Any other sandbox MMOs to try?  I am ready and able to try out a few.  Thanks for any tips!

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797

If you wanna play a sandbox mmo right now, there are not much i think.

ArcheAge comes to mind, but i dont know if its different from griefing EVE. ^^

If you can wait, Black Desert maybe, ithink its not this long until release in NA / Europe.

or one of these

early access / alpha:

Albion Online

The Repopulation

Shards Online

Star Citizen

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Star Citizen if you want a Space sim thing still. The Repopulation is a SWG like sandbox and coming along nicely overall. Shards and Albion are good as well though are even earlier than The Repopulation at the moment is probably the best as far as a good sandbox mmorpg goes along with it's community. Now as far as Space SIm goes Star Citizen is about all you have in that vein other than maybe no man's sky (not really an mmo) or elite : dangerous. None of which i'd ultimately call "sandbox" per say.

I wouldn't really call eve a sandbox in some specific regards (it's missing certain features that add more depth to a sandbox like The Repopulation such as land ownership, some heavier building mechanics  and the like) I'ts got the open world do what you want pvp thing going on and that's about it... 

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

there is also a very good sandbox game called Ultima online, its very old, but it has everything a sandbox could need.

edit: forgot to mention ryzom aswell :)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

In case you'd like games that are already out, as opposed to games that people merely hope will be out and not a disaster within a few years:

Uncharted Waters Online

A Tale in the Desert

Puzzle Pirates

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Broomy
    I am so Sick of that griefers paradise called EVE Online.  Any other sandbox MMOs to try?  I am ready and able to try out a few.  Thanks for any tips!

Shame that you couldn't outsmart the griefers.  GL in your feature endeavours and that you find a game to your liking.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    It's ok just wait until the kids that grew up with minecraft are old enough for developers to pillage their wallet with a F2P MMO.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• JownzJownz Member UncommonPosts: 62

It's not out anytime soon but check out Revival.  Read through the philosophy, features, and blogs before you pass judgement.

https://www.revivalgame.com/

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Isn't Ryzom still around?
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

Surprised no one mentioned Wurm online.

Hmm... and Runescape and Minecraft and Landmark...

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Muke

Shame that you couldn't outsmart the griefers.  GL in your feature endeavours and that you find a game to your liking.

Do they still camp the gates? 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Originally posted by Theutus
    http://ryzom.com

This is actually a pretty good game that I would totally call a sandbox even with PvPer being pretty much optimal.

Though I wouldn't bother to have the energy to argue against someone, for reasons.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Well the secret world is classless and the crafting has allot of freedom without specializing, but the story is very good for being themepark.
  • FehdFehd Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by Muke

Do they still camp the gates? 

Yes and they wont stop anytime soon .

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by anemo
    It's ok just wait until the kids that grew up with minecraft are old enough for developers to pillage their wallet with a F2P MMO.

ahhh Trove?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Bill called Ark Survival Evolved a MMO so I guess pretty much any sandbox survival game is. Like DayZ, Rust, 7 Days to Die, Space Engineers, Planet Explorers, Minecraft, etc.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• 207312207312 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Wurm Online is the only way to go.  If you don't mind older graphics and extreme grinds, it is a very interesting and well made game. It's also one of the -very- few true sandbox MMO's out there. It has a smaller playerbase (800-2k players on at a time), but it has a loving and active owner/staff(the owner being a bit derpy.)

Some key points

-Smaller playerbase, as such if you play long enough you'll eventually recognize/know half of the people in the chat, and oftentimes someone will know you. It's quite a lovely community at times.

-All terrain can be terraformed and or built on, excluding land claimed by other players.

-Ingame currency is sellable/buyable with IRL currency, via the website or through players. As such you could earn a few dollars through the game if you want, or if you ever quit.

-There are plenty of skills, all of which have a use. From carpentry, to blacksmithing, to weaponsmithing, to masonry, to farming, to milking. Just about everything you could think of.

-It's free to start, the only cap is that you can't go past level 20 in any skills without premium, which you wouldn't do for many skills for a while anyways. As such theres nothing to lose by giving it a try.

-ingame economy is 99% player based, with just a few special(and expensive) items coming from traders(which players own.)

TL;DR: A true sandbox game with a loving, smaller community, and just about any skills you could think of, all of which have their purpose. Interesting and wonderful player-based economy.  Comes with an active/loving owner/staff.

If you happen to play, make sure to select Independence as your server.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Sandbox ...WAY over used term.

Sandbox as of now is misused in a way that simply states it is  NOT a Themepark but that does NOT auto make it a Sandbox  either.

A sandbox has to have the tools for the players to create the game/universe a game like Eve does NOT do that.

An example of a true Sandbox would be UnrealTournament because you play on private run servers where you can actually do whatever the heck you want with your server.If you know some C+ you can go in and change ALL of the parameters of the game,the stats , healing,movement speed,physics you can change the maps as well as add new assets etc etc.

Bottom line is there are no such true Sandbox games out there especially not in the MMORPG genre.

PVP is NOT a sandbox aspect it is simply a Flag you can give players to flag them destructible and how much of a  damage thresh hold.

The best you can hope for in games is ZERO HAND HOLDING ,no cheat aspects like add-ons and radar and lock-on just the players and their skills and hopefully some nicely laid out maps that make for some quality combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'm looking forward to Peria Chronicles, personally.  It was said to be slated for a 2015 launch, but was removed (alongside Tree of Savior) from the list by the publisher.  Since Tree of Savior is confirmed to be coming out on a third party platform, such as Steam, it's rumored that Peria Chronocles just got an international version that will be hosted by another publisher.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus

Surprised no one mentioned Wurm online.

Hmm... and Runescape and Minecraft and Landmark...

The hard thing about the sandbox games is they are really lousy......Really the only good ones I ever played was SWG and Ryzom......Mage Online is a neat sandbox in development but the graphics and gameplay are very old school, not for everyone.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Sandbox ...WAY over used term.

Sandbox as of now is misused in a way that simply states it is  NOT a Themepark but that does NOT auto make it a Sandbox  either.

A sandbox has to have the tools for the players to create the game/universe a game like Eve does NOT do that.

An example of a true Sandbox would be UnrealTournament because you play on private run servers where you can actually do whatever the heck you want with your server.If you know some C+ you can go in and change ALL of the parameters of the game,the stats , healing,movement speed,physics you can change the maps as well as add new assets etc etc.

Bottom line is there are no such true Sandbox games out there especially not in the MMORPG genre.

PVP is NOT a sandbox aspect it is simply a Flag you can give players to flag them destructible and how much of a  damage thresh hold.

The best you can hope for in games is ZERO HAND HOLDING ,no cheat aspects like add-ons and radar and lock-on just the players and their skills and hopefully some nicely laid out maps that make for some quality combat.

actually a SANDBOX does not need a modable engine, it needs a "modable world".

and that is not achieved by recoding it or by using tools to mod the world, doom was no sandbox game, doom was a shooter - but maybe one of the heaviest modded around.

the game that comes closest to the term sandbox is obviously minecraft. no mmo in the usual sense tho.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HurshersHurshers Member Posts: 9

A bunch of us (some friends and newcommers) are about to start Darkfall Unholy Wars from scratch. You will not be shown remorse from many strangers, but that is the double-edge blade that is PvP sandboxes. We can show you the ropes and mitigate the integration into the game if you wanna give it a try. It's gonna be great, PM me if you wanna chat. 

• NototnoNototno Member UncommonPosts: 28

Trove

just be caution with queue time other side is perfect

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

This is what is wrong with most of the sandbox MMOS, they are all going to be a griefers paradise. Somehow the world sandbox has become synonymous with FFA full loot.