Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the PvE in this MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Is the PvE any good? I'm not talking about raid or die, or pvp or die kind of game style.

Now I love to do PvP, but not 100% of the time. And I hate raiding. I MUCH prefer PvP to raiding.

Like FFXIV...I can do raiding, yeah. But, I mostly do crafting and exploration stuff. There is a TON to do besides raiding. The crafting system is awesome, and the housing system is awesome too. Also FFXIV has an AMAZING pet system...like I can play as an Arcanist and get really awesome pets, that work really well and they have good pet AI. Their pet system is on par with WoW's warlock/hunter pets.

The problem with FFXIV? No voice acting, completely unimmersive. This right here pretty much breaks the entire experience for me. And the PvP sucks so bad, so no point in doing that.

I tried GW2, and the PvE is really nice. PvP is good. Except, what kills it for me? That made me pretty much quit? Two things

Rangers and Necromancers, my two favorite classes...if their pets ever got good (they were briefly), they get nerfed right back down. The two best classes, are the worst in the game. GW2 has the worst balancing I've seen for an MMO, even WoW has vastly better balancing than GW2. The pet system is utter fail, and the only two classes I like suck. And the pet AI is as bad as an MMO from the year 1999. There is no pet AI. That and they destroyed engineer turrets, which I sort of liked...dunno why it was nerfed. Instead they buff up elementalists/warriors and mesmers, who are already really good but they get better and better anyway. And GW2 doesn't update barely at all compared to FFXIV. Because its so PvP focused, they need to nerf too many classes and buff up the already good ones.

GW1 is vastly better, but its rather old and too hard to look at

So, that leaves ESO...the only game I haven't really tried. From what I've seen, it looks great. But, how is the PvE? Does the game have good NON-Raid PvE? Or is it pretty much, raid endgame and pvp endgame without any side activities?

Cause so far I'm stuck with FFXIV, but the no voice acting just kills the entire experience :( And the PvP is a definite afterthought. But it makes it up (a bit) with amazing non-raid PvE content.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

So what I like in an MMO

-Good voice acting is up there in my top 3 needed features (FFXIV the characters mouth moves, but no voice comes out...complete game killer, kinda makes up for it just a bit in other features)

-Good pet system and good pet AI (WoW and FFXIV have AMAZING pet systems. GW2 has no pet system and no pet AI, their pets aren't even pets worth mentioning)

- My #1 needed feature, good non-raid PvE content (like EQ2 has collectibles and things to find, Rift the same. FFXIV has a great crafting system and housing system and lots of non-raid/pvp content, which is only reason I play it lol)

-Good, but not hardcore PvP content (FFXIV PvP is fail. GW2 has good PvP, ESO looks to have as good of PvP as GW2 from what I've seen in videos)

-#2 in my most needed feature. Good balancing (WoW and FFXIV has great balancing, but GW2 the balancing pretty much killed the game for me and I never want to play GW2 again lol)

-Modern graphics (which ESO and most modern MMOs have. I even like WoW art style/graphics, but EQ2 which came out at the same time, aged MUCH worse than WoW, it looks ugly as hell lol)

So I like a lot of non-raid PvE content, and I like PvP like GW2 and ESO have. But I want a lot of side-content to do like FFXIV have.

That pretty much sums it up.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

There's a lot to do non-raid wise. over 100 delves, think of them as open world dungeons. A bunch of public dungeons, delves but harder and lots of 4 man instanced dungeons. On top of that there are small world bosses, sky shards and lore books to collect. Plus the crafting system is nice.

Imho it's the best pvp on the market atm. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

the equiv of raids in eso are trials, 12 man and 8 man.

pvp is where its at though :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

AND you can FISH!!  :D

(collect rare fish for an achievement :P)

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Well....ESO isn't really like other MMOs. It's about as close to Oblivion/Skyrim gameplay as you can get in MMO form.

Balance isn't so straightforward like wow etc. In wow most of the class abilities are basically copy/pastes of each other and theres not much choice. In ESO you can kind of make your own sub-class, similar to the single player games. You can mix and match and theres not so much limitation on what weapons/armour you can use. But even so theres no real I-win combo, it all has drawbacks.

First thing you will notice coming from wow is how much better the questing is. All the quests have proper objectives, not just fetch X, or kill 50 of Y. Combat is WAY better, harder, and you can play in first person if you want.

As for PVP. The PVP areas are entire regions, theres no stupid queueing for tiny warzones that last 10 minutes or that kind of rubbish :)

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

TESO is b2p. So short term you can reframe your question to simply: "is the PvE any good" - forget the mmo bit.

Answer yes. It is a good game; AAA; solid production values etc. Whether you personally will like it or not..... another question. There are twitch streams and vids out there etc. that can help you decide.

If you subsequently opt to buy it for the "single player" PvE experience you shouldn't be disappointed. (Some people who expected Skyrim online have been but you shouldn't).

And then - having got into the game, worked through various PvE stuff you will be in a position to decide whether to:

• stick around in TESO - for there is mmo stuff in the game e.g. some group orientated PvE;
    • play FFXIV (or whatever)
    Personal decision though. FFXIV is a "good" game as well. GW2 is a "good" game.. But if you do decide to "leave" TESO then you should have had a "decent time" doing the PvE; you shouldn't come away feeling "cheated". It may not be for you but it is a "good" game.