Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel vs DC MMO, could it happen?

SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46

We seen this cross over in the comics, but why not in an MMO. I know this is asking a lot, but why can't this work? If some company could get the rights to use the characters and universe of both brands, then tie it all together into an MMO world, I say it would be epic.

If your in the camp of if could happen, post how you would like to see this type of game to shape out.

If your in the camp of Never going to happen, again express your views of why.

or just post whatever you think on the topic.

We all want to see any NEW Heroes vs Villains MMO to be greater than City or Heroes. So with that in mind, add the Marvel and DC brands. What would that look like?

Comments

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Disney will have to acquire DC Comics as well get something like that up, unless a publisher can afford the licensing fees from both franchises. 
  • SirCedricSirCedric Member CommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    Disney will have to acquire DC Comics as well get something like that up, unless a publisher can afford the licensing fees from both franchises. 

Ok lets just say the money part isn't an issue, it's a joint agreement between both companies, and a 3rd party company is used to make the MMO. So would it work in that case in your mind?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i can see it happening as a fighting game, like Marvel vs Capcom, or Mortal Kombat vs DC which already exist. But as an ongoing mmo i doubt it will happen because if for some reason they come to a disagreement and part ways the game will probably shut down and only the players will lose here.

Unless the same mother company owns both brands i doubt an mmo of Marvel vs DC would happen.

I would totally play it, but it seems unrealistic to me that it would happen.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

I voted 'Never going to happen'.

But, if it did:

2 server sets:

1. Marvel heroes vs DC villains
    2. DC heroes vs Marvel villains

I will add any game like this, we should have that option to make a new hero/ villain that we want. Not one that already part of both brands. Heck why not have a turn cross over type, with powers based in both brands.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Marvel would have to be the f2p side of it, while playing as DC would be p2w purchased characters *snikers*

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Possibly in 2150 when humanity will be 150% more evolved and intelligent than today to come together and deliver something great that we can all be part of before our short lives expire.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

it whould be awesome tho. been  wanting a new superhero/villain game .

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by SirCedric

We seen this cross over in the comics, but why not in an MMO. I know this is asking a lot, but why can't this work? If some company could get the rights to use the characters and universe of both brands, then tie it all together into an MMO world, I say it would be epic.

If your in the camp of if could happen, post how you would like to see this type of game to shape out.

If your in the camp of Never going to happen, again express your views of why.

or just post whatever you think on the topic.

We all want to see any NEW Heroes vs Villains MMO to be greater than City or Heroes. So with that in mind, add the Marvel and DC brands. What would that look like?

That would be an amazing concept OP.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I voted 'Never going to happen'.  The basic reason is that neither side wants to let go of their IP.  That's always been the problem with these 'cross-brand' affairs.  It even came into effect in the making of the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"  Disney didn't want Mickey Mouse to be overcast by Bugs Bunny, and Warner Brothers couldn't tolerate Bugs Bunny getting second billing to Mickey Mouse.  Therefore, they got the same amount of dialog and screen time.

Marvel and D.C. have the same relationship.  DC is going to balk at anything where Batman is put into a situation where he loses to Captain America or Iron Man, and Marvel isn't going to want Hulk or Thor to lose to Superman.  Most of the comic 'crossovers' have followed this principle.  Anything that happens, happens because of a compromise between the companies.  It's all very tightly scripted.

Putting characters from each publisher into player's hands isn't something that I see happening.  There will never be a chance where the predetermined (and heavily negotiated) outcome of a clash between Spiderman and Batman is opened to a different outcome.  Flash beats Quicksilver.  Ms. Marvel is better than Wonder Woman.  Reed Richards trumps Ralph Dibny.  Dial H for Hero squishes... wait... what is the Marvel equivalent of Dial H for Hero?

This, even more than the money, is why we'll never see something like this.  Money can be worked around, egos not so much.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    Possibly in 2150 when humanity will be 150% more evolved and intelligent than today to come together and deliver something great that we can all be part of before our short lives expire.

HaHa! Good one! in 2150 the mega corps will have their 100th anniversary of taking over the world and everyone who doesn't like it well.. there is noone who doesn't like it. (Doubt it? Banks took over the world in 1915ish and everyone who disagreed went away (aka Kennedy wanting to give back the gold price to a dollar, true story, srsly google it)).

On topic, it would be awesome and should be done but to solve THE most problematic point of coding... who could pick up Thors hammer? (unless only non fans post here this question will keep the thread alive for 200+ pages ^^ )

Originally posted by Mendel

I voted 'Never going to happen'.  The basic reason is that neither side wants to let go of their IP.  That's always been the problem with these 'cross-brand' affairs.  It even came into effect in the making of the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"  Disney didn't want Mickey Mouse to be overcast by Bugs Bunny, and Warner Brothers couldn't tolerate Bugs Bunny getting second billing to Mickey Mouse.  Therefore, they got the same amount of dialog and screen time.

Marvel and D.C. have the same relationship.  DC is going to balk at anything where Batman is put into a situation where he loses to Captain America or Iron Man, and Marvel isn't going to want Hulk or Thor to lose to Superman.  Most of the comic 'crossovers' have followed this principle.  Anything that happens, happens because of a compromise between the companies.  It's all very tightly scripted.

Putting characters from each publisher into player's hands isn't something that I see happening.  There will never be a chance where the predetermined (and heavily negotiated) outcome of a clash between Spiderman and Batman is opened to a different outcome.  Flash beats Quicksilver.  Ms. Marvel is better than Wonder Woman.  Reed Richards trumps Ralph Dibny.  Dial H for Hero squishes... wait... what is the Marvel equivalent of Dial H for Hero?

This, even more than the money, is why we'll never see something like this.  Money can be worked around, egos not so much.

I understand what your saying, but if I was making this type of game, I wouldn't have the main people in players control. at least not in the main story arcs. I would follow the same model you see in DCU now, where the players make their own Heroes and Villains, and only be able to use the main people in PvP area events. This way you can still play as your favorite guy, and still have a good storyline of your own Hero/ villain helping out the main people, and or fighting along side them.  

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Ok lets just say the money part isn't an issue, it's a joint agreement between both companies, and a 3rd party company is used to make the MMO. So would it work in that case in your mind?

It isn't just money it is control over your property which I doubt both would be willing to do with the other team.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    A mmo It self be a hard sell this day of ages if the game turn out be not fun or exciting, have better shot getting a cross over on marvel hero 2015 to add DC Hero in then making a mmo it self.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by waynejr2

It isn't just money it is control over your property which I doubt both would be willing to do with the other team.

This is the big one, the control. Both companies will want their characters to look in their best light, which can be subjective, specially considering how you control the relative powers between the characters of different universes, which one is more powerful, which one is more cool, heck, even which one shows up more. Money isn't that big of an issue (after all, Marvel and DC have teamed before to make crossovers or amalgamated versions of their heroes)

A similar example, when they made Who Framed Roger Rabbit, IIRC the producers said that the biggest nightmare of negotiation and back and forth was the part where Daffy and Donald are playing the piano together in the night club. In the end, to get the final approval from both Disney and WB for the finished sequence, they had to analyze it frame by frame and re-edit so that neither one appeared in the movie even for one frame more than the other.

What can men do against such reckless hate?