Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Cabal 2: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I never played the original Cabal, but hearing people talk about it makes me wish I had. It might have been a cult hit at best, but there is no denying that there was something about the original that inspired people to talk about it with a measure of passion. But I think it is safe to say, from my experience, that Cabal 2 misses the beat on everything that made the original so beloved. This isn't the darling sequel, here to build upon the foundation built by the first Cabal. Instead, Cabal 2 is, at best, a soulless journey through every trope trampled to death by the genre in the last decade.

Read more of Steven Messner's Cabal 2: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    The bugs, the fps, the endless myriad of gold sellers in chat -  my god, this game has some potential, if the devolper's actually had a vested interest in their game...The combat is well done and impactful, but the glaring bugs and other irksome irritations will mean I will not be investing any further time into this game.  It's a shame, the combat and loot is right up my street.

Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

Most of the people here never played C1 and don't really care about the nostalgic trips.

If C1 was so good, we'll see copies of the time but no one likes C1 lol, except a few people.

Also I don't get the rating system, if its out of 10, how is 5 "poor" when its in the middle? Is this school where anything below 70 is bad?

I really don't care about the game since I'm playing skyforge and ff14 but what I do care is how the review reference c1 (with no first hand experience and nothing really  good anyways from c1) and the way the rating system is.

• ricsi046ricsi046 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    this game is utter garbage compared to cabal 1
  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

I wanted to enjoy this, because for new MMOs it was this v. Echo of Soul and at first I wasn't feeling Echo. I ended up liking Echo better than this, however.

I appreciate the look of the classes (especially love Priest, and nice to have healers in an age where many MMOs are removing healers for some reason), but as the article says, the gameplay leaves much to be desired.

I dislike how games are going for a low TTK (Time to Kill) nowadays, giving you awesome-looking (or at least sounding) abilities, but no reason to use them - maybe at max level, but by then I've already invested hours/days  of my time.

Also, there are peculiarities in the interface. Some controls can be mapped (I have a Razer Naga) and the keys are recognized, but when pressed do not activate; other keys cannot be remapped, and chat configuration does not seem to work (I tried removing General - or Area, or whatever it was called here - due to massive gold spam; config seemed to save but no effect).

The "story" is, as the review mentions, boring as all hell and translated oddly; it's never clear whether you're on a quest to find a sister or a brother, despite the victim appearing female in the beginning.

All in all, a wasted opportunity.

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124

Played Cabal 1 and thought it was a great game the only reason I didnt stay on it was due to low population, nothing to do with nostalgia......

I followed Cabal 2 for a while, all the dev vids and blogs. They really tried to hype this game up so much to make people believe it was something other than a generic mmo.

They even tried to convince people it was an action mmo.

As soon as I got into cabal2 and saw those horrible fucking cut scenes, even before I got to play the game I new this was going to be an epic fail of a game. So after I got passed those horrible cut scenes and played the game for 5 minutes I realized I had been led up a false path yet again and this game was indeed just another generic piece of crap.

PWI have better games than this and im ashamed to say that.

I think the score rating for this game on this website is actually pretty generous. Some of those Pros listed are not even Pros in my book. It looks like the reviewer was just trying to add in anything that seems like a Pro.

• oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79

This game is sooo 2010.

After playing for 12+ hours i felt like uninstalling and so i did.My life became better.

Another stay away mmorpg on the market.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Having played this game for as long as I could stomach it, (which wasn't very long)

I will also give it five - with a suffix

5HITE

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355
    Originally posted by oreal52

This game is sooo 2010.

After playing for 12+ hours i felt like uninstalling and so i did.My life became better.

Another stay away mmorpg on the market.

This sums up all of my feelings and actions during and after my wasted two afternoons in Cabal 2.

Of course I could explain why, but 90% of the reasons have been named here already, and this game really isn't worth the time investment of writing about it.

Game was in Beta in Korea in 2011, btw. But yes - even 4 years ago this certainly would have looked and feeled outdated.

[e] I also found the quality of the graphics far worse than this review indicates - even with driver tuning and SweetFX... 5/10 is still a very merciful verdict. 3/10 or *maybe* 4/10 (since combat is pretty fun if you are into tab-target-combat, which frankly I cannot stand anymore in 2015, but can't be the fault of a game from 2011) appears more reasonable to me.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

What I really liked about cabal 1 was the exp system.

The game was a grind but I kinda liked the combat and classes. Cabal 2 however is nothing like the first.

• RPGPhreekRPGPhreek Member UncommonPosts: 16

As much as this game is an average fairing for an ftp MMO, I do take a bit of issue that you scored this game well below Echo of Soul. That game felt far more  bland, derivative and clunky imo. I could casually stand to occassionally log into Cabal 2 when I have no compelling desire to do so with EoS. 

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Cabal 1 had something special to it.  It was both very unforgivable and hard, and the combo system with the golflike system was great.  You managed to go from monster to monster comboing and keeping it up 10 20 50 into the hundreds even.  It had very rare tradable loot that was amazing.  Any dungeon could give you something special if you were lucky on the run.  Crafting was harsh but rewarding if you got deep into it.  It lost things though when it became battle mode dominated at really high levels.

Cabal 2 is NOTHING like Cabal 1.  I gave it a chance, I really did.  Dropping the robust combo system of cabal 1 was bad enough, but the loot system is vastly simplified and bland.  Then they took away soloability by removing "easy" mode from dungeons instead of making it a bit harder and say calling it "solo" mode.  But really there wasn't that much of value in the loot grind anyway and instead of having open ended levels, it only had 40 and will eventually have 50.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by centkin

Cabal 1 had something special to it.  It was both very unforgivable and hard, and the combo system with the golflike system was great.  You managed to go from monster to monster comboing and keeping it up 10 20 50 into the hundreds even.  It had very rare tradable loot that was amazing.  Any dungeon could give you something special if you were lucky on the run.  Crafting was harsh but rewarding if you got deep into it.  It lost things though when it became battle mode dominated at really high levels.

Cabal 2 is NOTHING like Cabal 1.  I gave it a chance, I really did.  Dropping the robust combo system of cabal 1 was bad enough, but the loot system is vastly simplified and bland.  Then they took away soloability by removing "easy" mode from dungeons instead of making it a bit harder and say calling it "solo" mode.  But really there wasn't that much of value in the loot grind anyway and instead of having open ended levels, it only had 40 and will eventually have 50.

He might as well have described Cabal 1.  It was not that much different.  You must be thinking of another game because I don't remember anything like what you are describing being in Cabal 1.

• VenDevVenDev Member UncommonPosts: 5
    So basically the rating of 5 means that the game is dull, unplayable and a total rubbish? Please, stretch the rating, so 5 is something around "one might play it".
  • booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96

I remember playing the original Cabal once. But I was pretty turned off by how generic it felt, plus the barrage of gold sellers on chat. The other thing that was also a turn off was that the starting city had so many private shops set up that you could hardly move.

From what I just read in the review and the comments, it seems Cabal 2 will go the same route.

• LordMatsuLordMatsu Member Posts: 12

What I loved about Cabal 1 was the equipment.  It was sci-fi and futuristic.  Cabal 2 is more modern and plain.   The skills aren't as graphic as they were in Cabal 1 either.   The layout of the world is different.  They're trying to modernized Cabal into the standard MMO world.

Cabal 1 is known for it's unique features unlike other mmos- crazy graphically intense moves, hordes of mobs dungeons, amazing looking armor and weapons, the combo system, and the worlds that separate each other.

Cabal 2 becomes everything Cabal 1 isn't, with the sequel name attached.  Rather disappointing tbh.  Everything I loved about Cabal 1 is gone.