Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext Vaporware?

Comments

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Syanis

I followed EQNext before they even gave it the EQNext name. It was originally slated for a 2013/2014 release back in 2010 when it was in the early drawing board. I was a follower before it was even public knowledge through inside contacts. However since then its been pushed back and then nearly dropped completely by SoE. Most of the programmers and Devs from the EQNext team have been pulled to help on Landmark. My contact has since left SoE and last heard from him on the subject was don't expect EQNext to actually happen or least within this decade.

As such I pretty much entirely wrote off EQNext. They haven't been giving any real updates on it in the last year and keep pushing landmark's updates on the EQNext page. Its really feeling like IF EQNext happens its really just Landmark with a bit more combat and race/class options. I also was in Landmark in alpha to pass time and I just saw nothing good really coming out of it. Nice for builders but really empty for the rest and the builders get bored out when they see their limitations on having their creations seen.

Normally I call bullshit when people talk about their "inside sources," but for some reason I believe you.

I truly think the time for EQN has come and gone. I don't care what any of the "wishfuls" here have to say, if the game was in a healthy state of development, we all would know about it because the company would eagerly be sharing their updates, like just about every other game on the damn market that's in development.

Landmark IS EQN, but not in the obtuse manner Allein and Nanfoodle keep slamming down everyone's throats. "Yeah, because EQN is being MADE IN LANDMARK duhhhhhh.''

I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell the both of you.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Good_Apollo
    Originally posted by Syanis

I followed EQNext before they even gave it the EQNext name. It was originally slated for a 2013/2014 release back in 2010 when it was in the early drawing board. I was a follower before it was even public knowledge through inside contacts. However since then its been pushed back and then nearly dropped completely by SoE. Most of the programmers and Devs from the EQNext team have been pulled to help on Landmark. My contact has since left SoE and last heard from him on the subject was don't expect EQNext to actually happen or least within this decade.

As such I pretty much entirely wrote off EQNext. They haven't been giving any real updates on it in the last year and keep pushing landmark's updates on the EQNext page. Its really feeling like IF EQNext happens its really just Landmark with a bit more combat and race/class options. I also was in Landmark in alpha to pass time and I just saw nothing good really coming out of it. Nice for builders but really empty for the rest and the builders get bored out when they see their limitations on having their creations seen.

Normally I call bullshit when people talk about their "inside sources," but for some reason I believe you.

I truly think the time for EQN has come and gone. I don't care what any of the "wishfuls" here have to say, if the game was in a healthy state of development, we all would know about it because the company would eagerly be sharing their updates, like just about every other game on the damn market that's in development.

Landmark IS EQN, but not in the obtuse manner Allein and Nanfoodle keep slamming down everyone's throats. "Yeah, because EQN is being MADE IN LANDMARK duhhhhhh.''

Allein and I have never said this game will be awesome. Allein and I have some reservations about the game ourselves. What we wont do is buy into the internet mob mentality of bashing a game or a company till we have tried their product. IMO that is everything wrong with gamers today. We put our hands our yelling for something new and when a company trys to do that we bash them for any number of reasons. Info is to slow, takes to long to come out or just general hate. IMO that is the dredge of the internet we see everywhere. People attacking and saying things they would not dare to peoples faces because they know how rude they really are being.

I hope every MMO makes it and I hope more so for companies that try and push boundries. I have my doubts about the direction of combat in this game but I wont bash them for that till I have played something they have asked to judge. Closed or Open beta. While devs are in Alpha stages of creating or with ENQ, R&D. What developers need is understanding and it sad how little the people that gives us the things we love (video games) get so little respect. So no, I wont join you in bashing this game. If and when it comes to a point I know I dislike EQN, you will see me no longer posting here, as spewing hate only hurts myself more then who it is directed at. 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Fractal_Analogy

So..

You must have to have all of the components physically working and tangible.. or the product is vapor. That is why at the auto shows, you have CONCEPTS of their ideas. Those concept illustrate the vapor they are working on. They do not release a concept "as their product", but what their product will some day resemble.

They are building up to that idea, and showing concepts of what they hope to one day to build.

So EQN is a concept? Or vapor? Or cheesecake?

Regardless of what anyone labels it, does it really matter?

Is what it is and neither you, I, or any other random forum know it all has any idea what is really going on or will happen.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Allein

So..

You must have to have all of the components physically working and tangible.. or the product is vapor. That is why at the auto shows, you have CONCEPTS of their ideas. Those concept illustrate the vapor they are working on. They do not release a concept "as their product", but what their product will some day resemble.

They are building up to that idea, and showing concepts of what they hope to one day to build.

So EQN is a concept? Or vapor? Or cheesecake?

Regardless of what anyone labels it, does it really matter?

Is what it is and neither you, I, or any other random forum know it all has any idea what is really going on or will happen.

Why do you keep saying no one has any idea what is going on? There is plenty of information available to get a very good idea of what is going on.

It isn't hard to see the problems the team is having.  Just look at how hard they are struggling with landmark and that is just a shell of a game. 

That doesn't mean the game cant still turn out well someday, but hoping that happens doesn't mean no one has any idea how things are going.

Originally posted by Good_Apollo

------

Not sure if this is irony or not, but either way it is funny.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Why do you keep saying no one has any idea what is going on? There is plenty of information available to get a very good idea of what is going on.

It isn't hard to see the problems the team is having.  Just look at how hard they are struggling with landmark and that is just a shell of a game. 

That doesn't mean the game cant still turn out well someday, but hoping that happens doesn't mean no one has any idea how things are going.

You might be taking my wording a bit too literal.

Obviously we all believe/think we know something based on the information available. We can use common sense, logic, educated guessing to reach a conclusion based on our subjective opinions.

What I mean is we really don't know what is going on behind closed doors or day to day. You can not tell me what they have or haven't done over the last 6 months or year in regards to EQN, nor can I tell you.

I can tell you very little has been shown off and as a whole the company has had a tough go of it, especially EQN apparently. Closing games, layoffs, restructuring, etc rarely are 100% positive at least in the short term. (They are now hiring again...)

Core features like the AI are missing in action and said to be months away from any revealing. Doesn't sound too good to me.

BUT for all I know, they could have a decent working model going and simply don't believe it is up to the standards they want to present to the public. This is what I mean when I say I (guess I shouldn't speak for everyone) have no clue what is REALLY going. 

They have not come out and said "We suck, had to scrap it all, game over, the end."

What I conjure up in my mind =/= reality in this situation.

That's why I have said that being all in hater or blind fanboi is silly. I'm optimistic as a gamer and see no point in being negative in regards to a hobby I partake for fun.

I could very easily jump on the negative bandwagon. Guess what? I've done it many times over the last two decades of online gaming. But, instead of going on forums and moaning or trash talking, I uninstalled and moved on. Not that I don't believe everyone has the right to their opinion, I simply operate differently.

Daybreak has probably until the end of the year or latest early next to impress me, if not, I'll have at least one other product (hopefully) to invest my time/money into. If some how they pull it off and make something so good that I can't ignore it and leave whatever I am playing at the time, good for them and me. I doubt that will be the case.

I can't tell you the future of EQN, nor my impression of it.

Although I can tell you that I won't be like this Fractal individual, calling particular devs "saviors and visionaries" putting them and myself up on an imaginary pedestal thinking that I and my tastes are better or the right way to do it. I don't live in la la land. I know EQN has a very high chance at being a pile of poo. The team and more so the company don't have me in their pocket. 

Until I actually see or don't due to them closing shop, the product, I will hope it turns out well. Again as Nanfoodle and I have said, I am a gamer and want all games to succeed. I see no harm in being optimistic, regardless if something is doomed to fail or not even being appealing to me.

Looking at the top 20 upcoming hyped games on this site, very few offer me any interest at all. But it is great to see that each can stand on its own and the WoW Clone Wars are at an end. Most will probably have meh popularity and life span, but so what, I'd rather see a bunch of decent ideas have the chance at succeeding/failing than a bunch of cookie cutter doomed before launch WoW killers.

This is gaming, it is all a big unknown. Except Overwatch, it will be a big hit...Blizzard secret sauce.

• PascalCPascalC Member UncommonPosts: 38

Expect nothing from the rest of this company, nothing from this guy. I was there when they closed SWG, I was  there when they closed VANGUARD, I was there when they stopped Agency, Matrix and Free realms, I was there when they said H1Z1 could be the best game for ex SWG players. I was there when they launched this miserable dull copy of MMO called Landmark. SOE is well known by gamers for an infinite list of mistakes. SOE is known for all the mistakes they made, and all the games they distroyed. Not for success, they are the exact opposite of Blizzard.

Sad history because my favorite mmos have been SWG VG and EQ. On other hands these games would have been on 1st rank.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by PascalC

Expect nothing from the rest of this company, nothing from this guy. I was there when they closed SWG, I was  there when they closed VANGUARD, I was there when they stopped Agency, Matrix and Free realms, I was there when they said H1Z1 could be the best game for ex SWG players. I was there when they launched this miserable dull copy of MMO called Landmark. SOE is well known by gamers for an infinite list of mistakes. SOE is known for all the mistakes they made, and all the games they distroyed. Not for success, they are the exact opposite of Blizzard.

Sad history because my favorite mmos have been SWG VG and EQ. On other hands these games would have been on 1st rank.

Agreed.. All if have seen from SOE over the years is the ability to take a great concept with a good foundation such as SWG, and totally break it..  instead of fixing and tweaking a game to be more then what it is, they toss the baby out with the bathwater and go off on some wild tangent.. I don't see games being made FOR the community and market, but I feel they (the bosses) are making games for themselves, as if I have the same likes and dislikes as Georgie did.. (Glad he is GONE)..  Seriouslly, I think if all the old vets that hang around playing EQ1 and EQ2, hoping that EQ3 might actually become a reality, leave SOE/Daybreak might as well close the doors and turn off the lights.. I don't see a large enough customer base at DBG (outside of EQ) to keep funding a non-productive company..

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56

Is it just me, or has there been ZERO gameplay videos released since the original ones for Next?  And dont tell me to look at Landmark.  I am talking about Next combat footage that includes storyline  or Next specific content,. For a game that  is supposedly being released this year, there really isnt anything out there.

Again, Landmark doesnt count.  If you visit the official site, everything is either building design in Landmark or static art.  Same thing on their Youtube channel.   Where are the gameplay videos?  NPC videos?  PvE videos?  PvP?  Class videos?

The game in trouble?

Originally posted by Kwon

Is it just me, or has there been ZERO gameplay videos released since the original ones for Next?  And dont tell me to look at Landmark.  I am talking about Next combat footage that includes storyline  or Next specific content,. For a game that  is supposedly being released this year, there really isnt anything out there.

Again, Landmark doesnt count.  If you visit the official site, everything is either building design in Landmark or static art.  Same thing on their Youtube channel.   Where are the gameplay videos?  NPC videos?  PvE videos?  PvP?  Class videos?

The game in trouble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-rppIWGIcQ

Zero huh?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Grailer

As the title suggest .  I played in Alpha of Landmark and I felt it was a bit dull after a while and couldn't see it as being a game anyone would actually play for long .

Now with all the drama at SOE with EQNext etc  is this game going to even be released ?

going by the old definition of VW... No... there is an actual product being made as can be seen by Landmark. 

As for it delivering all the things they said... Less likely if not downright impossible. 

This have been a good conversation

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56
    That was a year ago.
    That was a year ago.

Still a combat video of EQN combat and even shows skills Landmark does not have and classes Landmark does not have. 

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    That was a year ago.

Still a combat video of EQN combat and even shows skills Landmark does not have and classes Landmark does not have. 

OK.

You do realize that video was just animation. Nobody was playing those characters, that wasn't a server. There was no characters. It was all essentially CGI of how these Developers had envision their game being played.

You do understand this, don't you??

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    That was a year ago.

OK.

You do realize that video was just animation. Nobody was playing those characters, that wasn't a server. There was no characters. It was all essentially CGI of how these Developers had envision their game being played.

You have no way of knowing if those were being controlled by real players or not and I would argue it would take more effort to organize it as CGI then to record it live.  The majority of those animations are playable right now in Landmark.  Nor do you know from what "space" it was recorded.  Sure, there is a specific camera angle used that is not from the perceptive of one of the characters but the same "fly on the wall" aspect was used when the devs were showing off PvP and they were all playing it live.

I usually wouldn't care enough to post but since you want to talk down to people I figured I would.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Anyone that has  paid attention will know that their team has done VERY little work if any.What they have done is taken player made content and do it around.They basically used Landmark to have players pay them to make content ...ROFLMAO,whoda figure they could pull that off.

There will be a game,it will be severely rushed with 90% player made content,it will look and feel like an Indie game.I have absolutely no confidence this will be a Triple A game,EQ2 will be the last game they ever made that looked triple A.You can 100% expect a bug ridden release,so they will call it early access.

Then to add insult to injury,they will release this totally bland game but fill it with cash shop ideas like you can expect ALL of the housing to be cash shop,mounts and many p2w items as well.Every single thing this team has done over the past couple years has looked like nothing more than a quick cash grab.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Aelious
    That was a year ago.

OK.

You have no way of knowing if those were being controlled by real players or not and I would argue it would take more effort to organize it as CGI then to record it live.  The majority of those animations are playable right now in Landmark.  Nor do you know from what "space" it was recorded.  Sure, there is a specific camera angle used that is not from the perceptive of one of the characters but the same "fly on the wall" aspect was used when the devs were showing off PvP and they were all playing it live.

I usually wouldn't care enough to post but since you want to talk down to people I figured I would.

It was not recorded, it was made. Just like a cartoon.

And you are right, you really do not care enough to post, because traveling on the EQN bandwagon and doing so for so long has wore you down and you seem disgruntled. Never any good news (except high elf sketches) and you still defending SOE. Not many endure such hardships. You deserve some credit for posting.

Even Smedley has had enough of my posts and soothsaying.

Though, there is some good news ahead (coming), it won't be enough.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Anyone that has  paid attention will know that their team has done VERY little work if any.What they have done is taken player made content and do it around.They basically used Landmark to have players pay them to make content ...ROFLMAO,whoda figure they could pull that off.

There will be a game,it will be severely rushed with 90% player made content,it will look and feel like an Indie game.I have absolutely no confidence this will be a Triple A game,EQ2 will be the last game they ever made that looked triple A.You can 100% expect a bug ridden release,so they will call it early access.

Then to add insult to injury,they will release this totally bland game but fill it with cash shop ideas like you can expect ALL of the housing to be cash shop,mounts and many p2w items as well.Every single thing this team has done over the past couple years has looked like nothing more than a quick cash grab.

You have no clue how much work the dev team has or has not done. Unless you saying you know the DGC staff and they have been giving you an inside ear? I used to read your posts and often enjoyed them. Seems that you have joined the cloud of negative posters. No matter what game you post about you have nothing positive to say. What happened to you? Are you sure you even like MMOs any more? Is there even one game out there you like or enjoy?

You have no clue how much work the dev team has or has not done. Unless you saying you know the DGC staff and they have been giving you an inside ear? I used to read your posts and often enjoyed them. Seems that you have joined the cloud of negative posters. No matter what game you post about you have nothing positive to say. What happened to you? Are you sure you even like MMOs any more? Is there even one game out there you like or enjoy?

why do people keep saying that we have no idea how things are?

anyone can read the developer Q&A or interviews and see from your own words how far behind they are. They keep taking about how everything EQN related is just concepts at this point. Even the core systems are still in the concept stages. Again that is from the developers own mouth, so yes people can have an idea of where things are at.

you follow the developers, so you know this stuff. Why are you attacking people instead of sharing those links?

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

I think both it and Pantheon are going to sort of... fizzle.  They are taking too long to come to market and the "thirst" for that type of Fantasy MMORPG is waning with each and every week these days.  I honestly don't even think I'll care about either of them by the time they release.  I think Pantheon is slated for January 2017 at this point, and that's probably being a bit ambitious since they don't have huge funding behind them.  EQNext well...  Who knows.

By that time I'll probably have moved almost exclusive to console gaming.  More MMORPGs are being released for consoles now, and I find that a good thing.  I doubt either of these games will hit those.

There's something to be said about being able to lie in bed and play an MMORPG... comfortably... instead of being forced to hunch over your keyboard/mouse/gamepad...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Why do i even bother,just pay attention,it is there in black n White.

Here you go i'll help anyone that doesn't pay attention.

SHIFTS focus

You know what shifts focus means?It means they were showing VERY little effort if any.Anyone watching their podcasts would have seen that,we don't need them to spell it out for us.One week's podcast they show cased a door and 7 textures,the rest of the show was rating player made content.

Their recent video was AGAIN they took "player made" content and dotted it around to form a town.

The funny part if "shifting FROM Landmark"..LMAO ,they haven't done hardly anything in Landmark and that was where their effort was?If that is the case then just imagine how less of an effort they have done on EQNext.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    That was a year ago.

OK.

It was not recorded, it was made. Just like a cartoon.

And you are right, you really do not care enough to post, because traveling on the EQN bandwagon and doing so for so long has wore you down and you seem disgruntled. Never any good news (except high elf sketches) and you still defending SOE. Not many endure such hardships. You deserve some credit for posting.

Even Smedley has had enough of my posts and soothsaying.

Though, there is some good news ahead (coming), it won't be enough.

Ironically clever, I'll give you that.

1.  Neither of us really know how the video was generated though I posed a valid theory that it was done, at least in part by someone controlling a character.  The basis for this being that 80-90% of what is seen is already playable in Landmark, minus the Dark Elf... never mind, I made my point and the only rebuttal was an underlined dissent without any proof or explanation so there isn't anything else to say about it.

2.  If wanting EQN to happen is being on a bandwagon so be it, call it what you want.  I took my previous signature links down because DGC is going to have to earn the free publicity and when they have something to show I will put them back up.  I've stopped posting here for the most part because there really isn't anything constructive to say right now because there isn't any new news.

3.  You have a much stronger emotional attachment than I do to EQN based on the continuous postings you do here.  That's the irony.  You want to call me a bandwagon rider just because I want to see EQN succeed, or call out false "facts" when I see them being used to put down other people.  I've posted, what, three times since the beginning of June? How much have you?

Talk about disgruntled.  Who posts so much about something they don't like?

1.  Neither of us really know how the video was generated though I posed a valid theory that it was done, at least in part by someone controlling a character.  The basis for this being that 80-90% of what is seen is already playable in Landmark, minus the Dark Elf... never mind, I made my point and the only rebuttal was an underlined dissent without any proof or explanation so there isn't anything else to say about it.

I disagree.

Looking at the video it is clearly a marketing piece, not a recording of gameplay.  No one is playing those characters

The "players" run directly towards the camera and often stop to pose dramatically or show off the animation they are doing.

The camera constantly changes positions to showcase either a character model doing some animation, particle effect or the appearance of a new model that is important to what is about to happen in the scene.

The NPCs always die at the exact same time.

The "players" always run off camera the split second the NPCs die or stand there doing nothing until the scene cuts.

This looks like the same footage shown of at SOE fanfaire, where you can literally see each character class run through the same scripted paths and encounters to showcase what their different abilities do.

While I agree with you that much of this could be accomplished in Landmark, I still don't think there is actual gameplay video of EQN to be found.

Originally posted by Daffid011

I disagree.

Looking at the video it is clearly a marketing piece, not a recording of gameplay.  No one is playing those characters

The "players" run directly towards the camera and often stop to pose dramatically or show off the animation they are doing.

The camera constantly changes positions to showcase either a character model doing some animation, particle effect or the appearance of a new model that is important to what is about to happen in the scene.

The NPCs always die at the exact same time.

The "players" always run off camera the split second the NPCs die or stand there doing nothing until the scene cuts.

This looks like the same footage shown of at SOE fanfaire, where you can literally see each character class run through the same scripted paths and encounters to showcase what their different abilities do.

While I agree with you that much of this could be accomplished in Landmark, I still don't think there is actual gameplay video of EQN to be found.

As always, your negative so it must be true. This is the internet and anything positive must be blind fanboy crap and thats the end of it =-) I have seen many Machinima video do everything you said proves its not real done in game. Matter of fact in many games. Bye!

As always, your negative so it must be true. This is the internet and anything positive must be blind fanboy crap and thats the end of it =-) I have seen many Machinima video do everything you said proves its not real done in game. Matter of fact in many games. Bye!

Just because I pointed out your inaccuracy doesn't mean I'm being negative.  Pointing out that a video is a scripted marketing piece and not gameplay footage is a neutral comment.

Perhaps that is why you resort to attacking posters instead of having discussions about topics.

This discussion has been closed.