Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is down scaling bad?

13»

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,078

Whether you like downscaling in a game or not, it doesn't really matter for gw2. The game is designed with this in mind. Any lower lvl major event would become silly if some max lvl max geared came stomping through. It would skew contribution scores in a bad way for events.

Then there is the immersion factor. The levels are there, but they were never intended to make that much of an impact, just a means of progression for your character. That is another reason why you downscale in the game.

If would be a total fail for their design if they would make scaling down optional.

So yeah, as high lvl player you can actually die in low lvl areas if you are bad at the game. The downscaling can even work in your disadvantage in some cases because Bosses sometimes automatically see you as the biggest threat. Deal with it.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Its good, but it need to be much more challenging and it is not. Its way to easy. If we scale to green item stats it might be more fun.
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

Downscaling is a blessing in mmos. Regardless of your level/gear you still have a challenge wherever you go.

Lol. Absolutely nothing in GW2 could be described as a challenge.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I forget what game it was, but you could "apprentice" people that were 10+ levels below your level and then they could join you on more difficult content.

They wouldn't have the skills and abilities of someone your level, but they'd have the HP and base DPS.

I prefer this method over down scaling to their level.  I earned my character so why should I have to be the one that suffers?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,986
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Downscaling is one of the major reasons I love GW2.

This.

Downscaling allows the entire world to be viable for use across all levels.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,065

While I enjoy downscalling the last formula they use for it is crappy.

It is based on requiring you to have the best possible gear for your actual level when you downscale.

A level 10 doing level 10 content that goes up to level 11, becomes downscaled to 10 and becomes weaker. That is just silly.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,391

In RPG you play to become stronger.

Scaling down when fighting against weaker enemies is silly.

This also applies to so called mentoring feature some games have.

There's a lot of other means to balance your game for high and low level characters. This is not one of the good ones.