Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people use stupid names?

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by evilized

Because it makes people mad enough to post about it on a forum. 

Say you just got destroyed by someone in pvp, doesn't it make it even worse if the guy's name is something like Catflaps or Adolfcritler?

Essentially, they're trolling for reactions.

And look every new thread is a win, caught another one! Score!

(It's the verbal equivalent of a sphincter test.)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I've seen it hundreds of times... Epic'ed out characters - dressed in black and looking badass... Until I look up to read their names... BananaNiplz, SkillCosby, SmellyGirl, etc. looks so stupid.

Or their countries mentioned in their names, how many times i have seen players around with xxxxDK, xxxPL, xxxxxxxRUS.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    No-one called Dauzqul can point the finger!  Fudging the spelling to make a name that sounds like Dat's Cool and then YOU get to criticize other people's 'stupid names'?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Almost every time im creating a new character i do some massive brainstorming to come up with a name i would not regret using. All kinds of both stupid and legit funny names get considered as well, but when i use them i always end up deleting the character.

I spend more time thinking of a good name than i spend customizing my character, and that is a long time. I always end up using a name that references other games, characters, asian names, nicknames of my favorite musicians, etc. As long as it is a reference to something i like a lot i know ill stick with that character. 

I need to use a good reference name ot i dont identify with my character. If i make up a random name, even if it sounds badass, i delete the character because that name is just a made up word that doesnt even exist so i dont identify with it.

And Yes...  we, the people who care for our in game characters still exist lol.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

SkillCosby... LOL! 

If it at least looks like a name, it doesn't bug me too much.  But yeah, stuff like XXXN1njaf@rtP0oPxxxorZ makes me want to buy a plane ticket and a taxi to their house, just to give them one massive swat across their melon...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Gyva02
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    First and last name with a hidden middle name would solve all the I can't have my name woes....  People just get sick of getting name rejected so in a way they rage quit the name game and you get Girlxdfgdgf  lol... 

Or you could do like in the real world and allow duplicate names.  Databases have had to deal with that for decades.

There you go, they just keep track of your characters by your account number.

Imagine how many "Killer"(s) would be running around.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by ceratop001

I've seen it hundreds of times... Epic'ed out characters - dressed in black and looking badass... Until I look up to read their names... BananaNiplz, SkillCosby, SmellyGirl, etc. looks so stupid.

The most important rule in gaming is have fun and never take yourself too serious. Fun names express a sense of humor and more then a one dimensional personality.

That's my view too.  "Serious" character names were great when I was a teenager, that day is dead.  I almost always choose something silly now.  If I can't get the name I want in the first few tries then I use the random button.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Distopia
    First and last name with a hidden middle name would solve all the I can't have my name woes....  People just get sick of getting name rejected so in a way they rage quit the name game and you get Girlxdfgdgf  lol... 

Or you could do like in the real world and allow duplicate names.  Databases have had to deal with that for decades.

The real question is how do friends lists work, tell/reply systems, etc... Unless you use account name for that, yet then what is the point in names if we can't identify or communicate under them? I don't want to send tells to [email protected].. that would be even worse than the issue the op is pointing out.

Your name is whatever you want it to be the account name would be in a second or third hidden slot assigned automatically that no one would see. 

Perfect World games work like that. 

You'd send tells to @waynejr and @Gyva02, for example.  And it even spreads across games.  You could get guild messages from Neverwinter, while you're playing STO, for example.

Another nice thing about it is you could send stuff through email to @gyva02, and any of your characters can pick it up.

And, of course, you can use whatever names you want without them being taken.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

1) Trolling, because if my name doesn't annoy you, how else could you know what a b@da$$ I am?

2) This is just a gold seller account and I run literally hundreds of them. Can't make them all special snowflakes.

3) I not really interested in this game or its lore, but I'll give it a peek because a) my buddy said it had amazing boob physics, b) it just went F2P, c) I got it on steam for $2.99.

4) If I do like this game after all I enjoy spending $20 for a name change.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by Distopia

The real question is how do friends lists work, tell/reply systems, etc... Unless you use account name for that, yet then what is the point in names if we can't identify or communicate under them? I don't want to send tells to [email protected].. that would be even worse than the issue the op is pointing out.

Your name is whatever you want it to be the account name would be in a second or third hidden slot assigned automatically that no one would see. 

Perfect World games work like that. 

You'd send tells to @waynejr and @Gyva02, for example.  And it even spreads across games.  You could get guild messages from Neverwinter, while you're playing STO, for example.

Another nice thing about it is you could send stuff through email to @gyva02, and any of your characters can pick it up.

And, of course, you can use whatever names you want without them being taken.

My whole point was I don't want to send tells to @waynejr.... I want to send tells to the character, therein lies the problem with such a system, duplicate names would cause issues with tells, so you must send tells to @waynejr rather than Nah Olos.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by MisterZebub

I'm more curious why some people take things that don't matter so seriously.

I agree. I know a lot of heavy RP players that don't care.

Also judging people by their name is also a strange notion. I've come across more ninja need looters in games where the players name is more lore friendly.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'll take 30 PL4T3D00Ds and a dozen DeeZNuTz over a single Legolas or Raistlin any day of the week. 

Binky Dewdrop the Outraged can go namepolice herself off a cliff and into a valley of broken glass. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Muke

Or their countries mentioned in their names, how many times i have seen players around with xxxxDK, xxxPL, xxxxxxxRUS.

That's actually a rather good approach to a common problem. DK, PL, RUS, ES, FR... those seem to be the most common. Players from those countries often like to play with people from their country. It's both a national thing and a communication thing, as they very commonly speak their native tongue in their chat and VoIP channels. 

Putting the country name at the end of theirs makes it easier to advertise where they are from, specifically for the purpose of connecting with others of the same language or nationality.  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by immodium

Also judging people by their name is also a strange notion. I've come across more ninja need looters in games where the players name is more lore friendly.

Have you now? As well as why do you care that we care?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

You could rephrase your question like this : Why do people not care about the things that I find important when it comes to pretend stuff? Their preference is stupid.

Some people don't care about names they just want to kill stuff and have fun.  What gives you the right to judge them for what they find important about a pretend world? Are they required to consume their time coming up with a name that YOU find suitable?  Seriously, what inclines you to think that everybody else had to enjoy an mmo the same way that you do?   It might just be possible that they look at you and think you're stupid for caring so much about what they do.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396

Tc has a point I mean you see this amazing looking character and then the reality of that horrid name, now I get some names are taken and it really is there choice if they think its funny, but mmorpgs should limit what kind of names people can make, and people should atleast be clever if they want to make a funny name.

The real issue we need to discuss is these offline account of people who create every awesome name and havent played in 6 years.

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by immodium

Just relax people you guys are taking it more seriously then the op this is mmorpg.com where we discuss mmorpgs there is nothing wrong with the tcs topic, its not like he is freaking out what makes you think he is taking it so seriously? He is just discussing how it can be annoying or offputting.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    That's why lotro Laurelin server is the best rp mmo. It's the only official rp server supported by the devs. If you make a dumb name you will be contacted or up on logging in you will find your name deleted.

TRUTH. A friend of mine who happens to be black decided to name his burglar Niggrish and his Lore Master Negrodamus - both got temp names until he renamed them. I was glad to see it happen, to be honest. Even he laughed and knew full well that it was likely to happen.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    These are the same people who spam general chat with Chuck Noris jokes. I block them and it never comes up again.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    I made one stupid name,it was a Ratonga monk called Crouchinggerbil Hiddenhamster in EQ2,this was because Danger Mouse was already taken......

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I also think this is main reason. There is another, somebody just creates "test" alt and does not want to bother with real name rejected 345 times :-) .. but then this test alt starts to grow, progress is to far to recreate character from scratch and name change option in many games is some times in money at least monthly sub.

And of course, many are just .... :-)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    They never played a Pen & Paper RPG.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    All those whoput names like llllllllllIIIIIIIll

Try figure out if it a l or capital  I.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    because they can/want to and can do so regardless of your or anyone elses opinion.
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162

Just out of curiosity... People do not care for names and chose stupid ones, so why not just hit the "random" button to come up with a fitting one? They do not care for names, so what's the difference? Why gain joy from lowering other people's fun? Never get that kind of attitude. It's totally alien to me. I don't lose anything to use the random name generator, but others win something, so why not use it? But that's propably just me dreaming of a better community of mutual respect and everyone working for the common best (no, that#s not necessarily what I deem best. :P ) gaming experience.

I'm used to those names right now and do not care that much anymore, but I notice I feel less immersed and attached to the game world if the names are totally unfitting to it, thus lowering the itch to come back and take another peek. Perhaps it is also they style of MMORPGs now, that are more like single player games and less like immersive worlds where you imagine adventures and try to complete stuff together. More solo -> Less thought about the whole community, or the guy next door. The mix of playstyles also raises those naming differences. In my experience PvPers don't care as much for names/game world as PvE raiders, but they also do care less than explorers and so on. Not true for everyone, but more or less my observation, which is not representative. Different goals/playstyles lead to diffrent views on immersion, player interaction and choices.