Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Daybreak & DDOS - Reaction to Smed's Challenge on Twitter?

123457»

Comments

• LoganKaiLoganKai Member UncommonPosts: 16
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

A man is an idiot for taking a stance to defend personal attacks against his life & family?

Naw, Smed was an idiot a long, long time before this episode.

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Lizard Squad OP xD

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by HappyFunBall
    Originally posted by Blueliner
    Screw that, keep baiting them until they screw up and get caught, I can live with out eq2 for a couple weeks. Shutting up and letting them win is nothing more than giving in to terrorists. 

Completely agreed.  It's a sad day when we're afraid to have a negative opinion about CRIMINALS for fear of reprisal.

but there has to be some chance of voicing those opinions leading to some sort of justice or change.

There is a difference between voicing a negative opinion and taunting criminals in an environment that will almost certainly result in harm being done to you and next to no chance of justice to be served.

Smed ranting on Twitter has done what?  Lost money for his new bosses and cut off service to his customers? 

If anything, his rant is giving Lizard Squad exactly what they want.  Attention and someplace to focus their nerd rage.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Daffid011
    Screw that, keep baiting them until they screw up and get caught, I can live with out eq2 for a couple weeks. Shutting up and letting them win is nothing more than giving in to terrorists. 

Completely agreed.  It's a sad day when we're afraid to have a negative opinion about CRIMINALS for fear of reprisal.

but there has to be some chance of voicing those opinions leading to some sort of justice or change.

There is a difference between voicing a negative opinion and taunting criminals in an environment that will almost certainly result in harm being done to you and next to no chance of justice to be served.

Smed ranting on Twitter has done what?  Lost money for his new bosses and cut off service to his customers? 

If anything, his rant is giving Lizard Squad exactly what they want.  Attention and someplace to focus their nerd rage.

He shouldn't feel afraid or scared to voice his opinion on illegal activity ever. No it's not productive but your implying he shouldn't do it for fear of the damages that might result or people who might get hurt. That's terrorism.  We are talking about a dam gaming company. Not a third world dictator.

edit just to say: Yes it maybe to strong of a use of the word. But what is it when you are held hostage through fear of illegal activity happening to you, your property or others?

• ValetharValethar Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Crazier than being Smed and taking a dump on a fire ant hill...or in this case, getting into a pissing contest with hackers with a lot of time on their hands? image

Well, let's be honest. The majority of those tools aren't real hackers, they're script kiddies who bought a software package on a rogue website and think they're one of the 'cool kids' now.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

If his bosses want to crack down on him for doing so that's on them, yet... why should we care about daybreak losing some money, if Smed himself doesn't?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Sorry to re-post this question and point, but it is pertinent to this sentence...

You really believe some peoples game time is more important than bringing awareness to how detrimental these acts are, as well as bringing greater punishment against them?

If all you have to worry about is essentially time in a corner and a smack on the behind, what's to stop these attacks from increasing? The punishment for it is nothing more than what a teenager gets for coming home too late.

What is happening to Smed on a personal level from these hackers sucks and they need to face criminal charges for their actions.  Examples need to be made so that others realize there are life altering effects to the choices they are making.

However, Smedly isn't leading some cause to bring enlightenment to the hackers.  He is the CEO of a company and his job is to run that company as best possible for the owners and his customers.  He really isn't in a position to decide that he can rant on twitter about something that personally involves him and put his company at risk and forces all his customers to suffers the consequences as if they are part of his cause or support his actions.

TBH I hadn't seen the Twitter rants when I made my posts, I was referring strictly to his long post about what went down.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• xeraxxerax Member UncommonPosts: 74

Smedders has every right to be angry and feel the way he does. He even has a point.

However he is the CEO of a international company. One which has newly been refinanced and its long term future is far from assured.

Expressing these feelings in public will put the company at risk and does't really deal with the issue. I am not saying he should resign but may CEOs have been forced to resign for less.

If there was one piece of advise I could offer Smedders it would be smile and wave in public, behind the scenes do what you can do get some justice, but dont mix up the rightful anger felt by a wronged man with your job as a CEO.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by Hulluck

He shouldn't feel afraid or scared to voice his opinion on illegal activity ever. No it's not productive but your implying he shouldn't do it for fear of the damages that might result or people who might get hurt. That's terrorism.  We are talking about a dam gaming company. Not a third world dictator.

edit just to say: Yes it maybe to strong of a use of the word. But what is it when you are held hostage through fear of illegal activity happening to you, your property or others?

Agreed. The quality or maturity of his venting shouldn't be the issue here. The principle is not to let criminals and thugs bully, coerce, and terrorize.

Nonsense.  Prudence is just as important and principle.

I doubt anyone would take their spouse, children or business clients down a dark ally in the middle of the night in the worst part of town with the direct intention of confronting a group of hardened gang members, just to voice your frustrations with them.

Sometime word of frustrations can have the reverse effect and actually reinvigorate a hostile group or actually give them reason to start up attacks.

I'm sure if Smeds words instigated a terrorist attack on an elementary school he was in charge of, I doubt people would be calling his actions noble.  Especially since they had zero chance of changing anything and only making things worse.

The point is tat smeds choice to rant was not only in direct contrast to his position at his work, but it also had effects on many other people and isn't really his place to make that choice for others, because he is frustrated.

• BlaedusBlaedus Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Daaamn, I can't believe this all went down. I feel bad for Smedley, he seems to have gone through a lot of shit with this Lizard Squad. But damn, man, he should have seen this coming and prepared for it accordingly if he was gonna say something publicly. And now he has "stepped down". Damn, man...