Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Top 7 Best MMOs of 2015…So Far

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Is it april?
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

Alpha / Beta is in the top 7 MMOs of 2015? Sad for 2015,

A pre-launch game is in the top 7 MMOs? Sad for the industry.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Wildstar has a lot of good things to it, but the combat and button spamming drove me away. It's too bad because I enjoyed everything else about it. I'm glad it's on the list ... even though it was released in 2014.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Please explain how Ark is a MMO, ROFL.  I know people like to stretch the category, but really....no matter how you try to color it is not a MMO.

As to H1Z1, far more a shooter than anything else.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Wildstar? If its fun how come no one plays it?

Because players don't care about fun. They're too wrapped up in their own cynicism.

• nikibishnikibish Member UncommonPosts: 44

ESO? LOL!!! I know of 3 people at work that bought eso for console (and that game was MADE for consoles but released on pc in SH1T status) and they get a refund within 12 hrs cause it blows. That game is such crap. I fell into it and bought it when it first came out. tried it again a few weeks ago.

still blows.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Is it just the number of players per server that hangs you up? Honest question.

We call ARK an MMO because 100 players in a smaller space like those islands is enough to be an MMO in our books. It's persistent, it's online, there's crafting, progression, a seamless open world... 

That is like calling the Netherlands an massive country because it has more people per m3 then the USA. Massive means bigger and more, not less on smaller area. I do not mind you calling the game a MMO, but I do disagree with this logic. I mean you use the term smaller...with is kinda the opposite of massive. So smaller amount of people + small island = massive? 

I understand you review these games. Even understand why you call them a MMO, but because of a smaller amount of people on a smaller piece of land? So 2 players in a small box that can craft (Chess online, with crafting) could also be a MMO?

However back to the list. It's a rather sad years for MMO's shamefully. Nothing really intesting so far but a few expensions. 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Alverant
    Wildstar has a lot of good things to it, but the combat and button spamming drove me away. It's too bad because I enjoyed everything else about it. I'm glad it's on the list ... even though it was released in 2014.

Yup, terrible combat.  Aimed at the 'hardcore' crowd, yet with a combat system best suited for short bursts of play.  

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

The Top 3 Should have been:

1.  Star Wars: The Old Republic

2. Final Fantasy XIV

3. Elder Scrolls Online

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Boy you guys have a case of the Mondays. 

My own personal list would change a bit. I'd keep WS off until I see how it does as a F2P, and I'd probably put Skyforge on there now. Out of the few new games we've been given, it's clearly the best of the batch even if it's not a barn-burner.

ESO? Yeah, I'd give that the #1 for 2015 so far. It's had a remarkable turnaround and while we're in a holding pattern with content, I have big hopes for the Imperial City later this year.

And Hizzy and ARK are MMOs. Not sure I'd put the former on my list though. 

Studio Wildcard doesn't even call ARK an MMO. Their aim is to hopefully have 100 players supported per server. Is this massively now?

We're at the point now where some people believe any and every multiplayer online game falls under the MMO banner. It's ridiculous. The term is getting thrown around to such a degree that it will be completely meaningless sooner than later. 

I expect this from the likes of Nariusseldon and one of his troll threads, not from someone from mmorpg.com.

Is it just the number of players per server that hangs you up? Honest question. No but it's certainly a factor.

We call ARK an MMO because 100 players in a smaller space like those islands is enough to be an MMO in our books. It's persistent, it's online, there's crafting, progression, a seamless open world... so the only thing that seems to be a sticking point is number of players per server. In which case, it's fine if you disagree, but we think ARK and H1Z1 are both MMOs. The same way we believe Destiny is, despite common convention.

@Dreamo: Amen, man. 

Fair enough.

My line of thought is if a game has some features that you would find in an MMO then it is simply a game with MMO features. Combat Arms is a great FPS with some character progression. DayZ is a survival game that has a huge world with lots of other players. Neither would I ever consider an MMO. They already have their own genres. The work is already done.

There really is no reason to dilute the meaning of MMO. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Destiny should be on the list too, the game is really getting better since it's launch and now you can get the game and 3 expacs and guardian edition perks for $80 with xbox one gold membership 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by venatis

Really? How many things do you find fun that other people don't? It's an opinion. 

The launch of the game and aiming it at the "Hardcore" community was what hurt this game. Not to mention some people might be put off by the art style, the fact that it's a new IP, sub model etc. When this game goes free to play it will thrive.

Well this is a true statement,thing is i see the term fun bantered around by everyone,yet they never state WHY or HOW it is fun.

How is WS fun,you chase around markers,you run around instances,really the game does nothing new so if you call WS fun then EVERY game is fun.Fact is that so m,any leaving the game meant it was not fun ,but of course this is the authors opinion not a general consensus.

Giving SWTOR credit because it is a single game advertising as a MMO?That is VERY odd.

Trove...Well i can see how people can find it somewhat fun if you like Minecraft and building stuff,but the game is nothing new and is lego graphics,so very low end graphics.Bottom line for me is do i want to support backwards technology pre 2000 graphics,no i do not.When i see NEW games i  want them to feel NEW,otherwise if i am playing same old been there done that,i would just be game hopping.

One final thing to say,since soooo many games keep popping up on the charts and falling off the charts,i would say they have been anything but fun.It really proves that the market is bad right now and that players are BORED and  just hopping from each new game to new game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493

ESO #1 really?

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    Well, I'm 0 for 7 for agreeing with this list. But my article "No Good MMOs in 2015" would be a lot shorter and probably wouldn't get a lot of site traffic.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by venatis

Really? How many things do you find fun that other people don't? It's an opinion. 

Same as yours that it will 'thrive' when it goes F2P.

He had a valid point. If some game is so good, why do they have empty servers and revert to removing subscriptions in order to get players to play their game? There must be something wrong with it.

Why do so many games have empty servers?  Because the people with money are playing WoW, and so few other games.  Most of the remaining gamer population are dead-beats, unwilling or unable to spend money in the cash shop.  That's my opinion and the secret opinion of every operator of a F2P game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Please explain how Ark is a MMO, ROFL.  I know people like to stretch the category, but really....no matter how you try to color it is not a MMO.

As to H1Z1, far more a shooter than anything else.

A typical MMO server handles 1000 - 2000 players across a distributed system.  ARK handles 100 - 200 per server.  WIth just 10 servers they could host MMO quantities of players.  With some effort they could implement MMO servers (1000 - 2000) for their game.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Just one guy's opinion. Obviously Wildstar is in no way the #2 MMO out there.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    Destiny should be on the list too, the game is really getting better since it's launch and now you can get the game and 3 expacs and guardian edition perks for $80 with xbox one gold membership 

Not an MMO.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Originally posted by Indsofin

I’ve always felt like Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the most soloable MMOs on the market

How can these opposed concepts be put in the same sentence?

An MMO is supposed to be soloable? WTF? An MMO which its content can be soloed is a GARBAGE of MMO. ¿Want soloable games? Go ARPGs like D3 or PoE.

People like the OP who don't understand the concept of MMO is what is bringing the genre to the abyss.

If you spend some time on the forums of an MMO under development, you will eventually read a post asking if that MMO will be soloable.  There is a portion of the MMO community that doesn’t want to play with others.  This may seem opposite to MMO design, but all MMOs have to decide if they will design for this group.  Most MMOs do design for solo game play, and groups of different sizes.

Hola España <google translate>

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by borghive49

ESO #1 really?

Yep image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    No GW2?!? WoW?!?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

My original post was deleted because I was critical of the author of this thread and the author whom he referred to. To be as polite as I can this time I just want to say this list is very bad. Wildstar at number 2 has got everyone perplexed. The thread starts off with a picture of Trove which to me seems like an ongoing theme. Is it me or is Trove being heavily advertised and talked about by the employees of this website?  I would never assume this is done because of monetary reasons "coughs". These guys must be huge fan boys I guess; and if they are just major fans I'm cool with that. My problem is with the overall quality of the opinions expressed within the list. Then again this is my personal opinion and everyone gets one. Unless of course they delete your post.

Cheers...

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by borghive49

ESO #1 really?

/shrug

It's a random list put out by a random writer.  His list isn't going to match every ones. Definitely not mine, nor yours, nor many others.  However, he did say something that is worth quoting:

"... there’s no denying the fact that the MMO genre has seen better years. From a lack of real excitement or hype around releases, to a lack of innovation, it’s not like it used to be."

and

"Okay well, I do still just want TESVI, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have an MMO and eat a singleplayer cake too."

Maybe that explains his list?

Looking back at 2014 and 2015 so far it's been kinda meh for MMOs.  Sometimes all you can do is shrug and smirk.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I admit I'm getting pissed more and more by statements like this: "I’ve always felt like Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the most soloable MMOs on the market..."

To OP: DO YOU KNOW ANY MODERN MMO THAT IS NOT "MOST SOLOABLE" ON THE MARKET??

Fact is ALL are soloable. And LOVE that. It is a MUST because not all games can plan playing weeks in advance or stay at home 24/365. Some of us have jobs and still want to enjoy MMO.