Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge: Early Access Begins

2»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Why are player A and B in competition? Competition for what ? Do you gain territory ? What exactly are you competing for ?

In a PvP territory control game I can understand the need for speed but if it is just advancement how does it affect B that A got an ability faster ?

Chamber of Chains
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by cheyane

Why are player A and B in competition? Competition for what ? Do you gain territory ? What exactly are you competing for ?

In a PvP territory control game I can understand the need for speed but if it is just advancement how does it affect B that A got an ability faster ?

Your not, Battle Grounds match you for prestige level. Getting their first is only bragging rights. 

Originally posted by Nikaas
    Originally posted by cheyane

So if you power up faster does it get you a house or other content or more powerful in PvP or is it just time. If there is no tangible difference and you get there a few weeks later what difference does doing it later .

I mean in Archage you get to fight for land so you might argue that power over time benefits means something but if you all expeience the exact same content just later I do not see the P2W argument. Just people who are just insisting on companies not making any money for the stuff they create in favour of them getting every advantage. 

Cosmetic items only make money when you have a large team working on making only those items at the expense of content .I disagree with that approach and prefer this one when I see no P2W at all.

While Player A plays the catch-up game Player B doesn't just stay and watch. Player B too plays and  continues to power-up PLUS gains additional power (compared to A) by spending even more. The effect of that is that the gap between the 2 becomes even bigger. You trying to explain how the slower car will eventually catch the faster, it just needs time - following a simple logic its not possible. And all this considering that the destination is reached by like 0.1% of the population and that destination (power cap) is risen with every content addition.

Its totally untrue that only large companies can afford cosmetics only. Games like Path of Exile is not among the biggest there is. Even  more a game called  AirMech (500 concurrent players at peak times) is pretty fine for  4 or more years with a team of like 5 devs. And their content is constantly expanded - gameplay and cosmetic aspects.

P2W can be explained only one way. These are mainly fast disposable projects that aim to" hit and run", i.e. make as much as possible money then scale down to minimal expenses when players realizes the shop scheme. Thats the reason why we see these highly hyped games that super fast then scale down the teams/updates (talks of the fast updates are actually just part of the hype strategy).  They do not fail thats their profit  strategy from the get go.

There is caps in how fast you can progress in the game. Also what you dont use up your cap it carries over to the next week. There is special missions that let you progress faster and use up that cap. Keeping people who fall behind caught up. The longer you dont play the faster you can level. You can buy into progressing faster but you can also do the free rout that can also leveling you fast. There is no P2W here. 

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135

There is caps in how fast you can progress in the game. Also what you dont use up your cap it carries over to the next week. There is special missions that let you progress faster and use up that cap. Keeping people who fall behind caught up. The longer you dont play the faster you can level. You can buy into progressing faster but you can also do the free rout that can also leveling you fast. There is no P2W here. 

I miss something here. How that faster leveling prevents players from buying power and using that system together? People that pay will still get ahead because that system is for everyone no mater how much money they used to the skew power-up curve in their favor.

It sounds like a system that compensates for players that don't log every day not to diminish P2W effects.

I miss something here. How that faster leveling prevents players from buying power and using that system together? People that pay will still get ahead because that system is for everyone no mater how much money they used to the skew power-up curve in their favor.

It sounds like a system that compensates for players that don't log every day not to diminish P2W effects.

Sure, you make a char and dont play much and save up a bunch of cap, you can also pay money to level faster as well. But that still does not make it P2W. Cuse people are playing the game while your not to save up cap. So you level really fast (gain prestige) to get to where everyone already is. Still not pay to win. Also the guy out the gate that pays to level fast, he has a cap each week he can only progress to. Once you hit that cap, you go no where. So paying to level faster is only to help you burn up your cap that week. So even the guy thats paying to progress fast, well that same week someone can play more and still catch up to him. Still not pay to win.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by nomadie
    I really wish they would stop using "Early Access" on Mmorpgs being it's more Pay to get ahead, or Pay to win, or even pay to win more at pvp because I had a week to play, there is so many things they can call it because when you can pay $20 to play a week before others or even the $80 for two new characters which are pretty damn strong in pve and pvp, it can become pretty pay to win in an Mmorpg because in this game a week ahead of others is pretty damn unbalanced, and pretty much can cause a big gap in players who won't pay to get ahead or play weeks before people.

No such gap exists

The matchmaking system is based on your prestige, which is an overall score of your characters power level, so people who start earlier will be in a different bracket to you.

People are thinking of this in terms of level based progression and this game simply doesnt have that, it just has a "power score" which is based on your progress.  

You wont get matched with people significantly above or below your score, so no gap will exist other than the one you put in your mind.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

As a Paying player  you can still only get X amount of prestige per week

The non paying player can get the same amount.

Once you hit that cap you can not get any more, so all paying does is let you get there quicker, so its more convenient for those who cant play or dont want to play as much.

At most its a 50% extra per reward until you hit the cap, so at best you get to the cap in 75% of the time of a non paying player.

• RedAlert539RedAlert539 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Well this topic derailed to a "P2W vs non-P2W" insult-tossing argument faster than i thought.

Here's a thought: IT'S A FREE GAME! And in 5 days from now it will open it's doors to everyone! No founder packs and no keys needed. Just log in and try the goddamn game for yourselves. At least try and form an opinion by yourselves firsthand, before coming here to whine and troll.

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by RedAlert539

Well this topic derailed to a "P2W vs non-P2W" insult-tossing argument faster than i thought.

Here's a thought: IT'S A FREE GAME! And in 5 days from now it will open it's doors to everyone! No founder packs and no keys needed. Just log in and try the goddamn game for yourselves. At least try and form an opinion by yourselves firsthand, before coming here to whine and troll.

Sorry if this made you feel insulted. Didn't intend to.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    got a free founders pack thingy and tried it out.. boy that combat system was no fun at all..  :(

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• JamesBond000JamesBond000 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by kinido
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

When does ACTUAL open beta start ?

And should I bother ?

Open Beta starts next Thursday.

Yes, you should bother - the game is F2P and is one of the closest things to " Non P2W " that we have out there. The only thing you get by paying is a boost in how much money you gather / prestige you get, and its a small amount. If you get a quest that gives you 1500 with a non premium account, youll get 16-1700.

Also, there are no levels - just prestige, so the Copperfield doesn't really understand .. so take his input with a grain of salt. 

Lawyered!

Rawr Damn IT

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

You know i'm not usually one for these types of games, but this one actually hit a spot with me and i'm enjoying it. The combat seems interesting and flows well enough that I can feel like i'm outsmarting the foe rather then just having better stats. the story so far is interesting. It's no SW:ToR but then again i was expecting as such so it's cool. I do like that you can make your character look how you want and the armor doesn't affect it (seeing a lot of games doing that now, started seeing that happened right around the secret world, probably one of the first ones was City of X, but i'm probably wrong)

So far I got access to the big skill system (the one where the classes can be unlock) ala the big atlas, and i'm working my way towards necromancer at the moment. I think i'm sone where around 1.4k presitage (not sure that's a lot but hey i haven't been playing that long either)

The pluses:

Combat seems fluid and works well.

Game seems pretty polished, I have only had the game crash once, and some of the dialog needs to be lined up with the subtitles, or vice versa.

Classes so far (only tried 2, Cryomancer is the one i have now, and i tested out necromancer) seems interesting and fun to play

The world and graphics look cool, it's not cutting edge graphics but it does give me a very Bioshock Infinate feel if that helps at all.

The Mehs:

The story is interesting but isnt' mind blowing, maybe this changes down the line but there was one point where they stated, they worshipped me and wanted to build a statue of me, soon as getting out of that exchange I saw 4 other people there, and the only thing I could think of was sure, as soon as you get done building everyone elses as well, and then move onto the next person.

The world designs can be pretty enclosed sometimes and other times it's a wide open area (and yes the wide open areas are somewhat small, you're not looking at vanguard/EQ sized worlds here)

The bad:

The game can get repetitive with you having to run the same missions to collect items to unlock skills (the names of these things escapes me at the moment.)

As I stated before the dialog sometimes doesn't match up so you get them talking ahead of the subtitles and then you are waiting for them to finish moving their mouth which seems odd, or they are behind and the voices get cut off when the time runs out. but beyond that the characters talking seem a bit odd, one time someone looked really angry and they talked normally (the looking angry was the out of place thing here)

Overall: I'm enjoying the game, I do have to remember to take it in bursts to not burn myself out, but the combat is interesting, the story works (do wish they gave a choice system otherwise why do you have to hit space to continue the dialog if theres no point might as well just say the thing i'm hitting space to say and continue)

It's more assurendly one of the better F2P games i've played (okay techically I had to pay some to get into this, but they gave you what amounts to 15 dollars of store credits and i guess 5 dollars of premium time, 7 days) , if albeit a very mission based game with one central town. 

Final score here: 3/5

It's a good game if you are looking for some quick action and interesting combat. If you are looking for super deep story, wide open worlds and lots of roleplaying oppertunities, you might want to keep looking

Disclaimer: I've only been playing for like 10 or so hours so my opinions are based on that time period, anything beyond about 1.4K presitage i haven't seen yet.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• invinsible1invinsible1 Member UncommonPosts: 1

But you have 3 dashes + skills which you can dodge everything. The game is great guys check it on 16 July you will like it. There is tons if thinks you can do, really balance game for Open beta. And no pay to win !!!

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    @ invinsibe...its not open beta...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• LordZeikLordZeik Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I do enjoy the little laugh everyone has given for this game. People keep claiming no p2w.... How many f2p games started off with little to no p2w and then slammed you at the three-six month mark?  No p2w at the start isn't exactly an enticing proposal to play a f2p in this day and age at day one. Let me know at day 120 if it's still the same format.
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Originally posted by Copperfield
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

When does ACTUAL open beta start ?

And should I bother ?

i made an account on the stress day..

I am not even sure why they call this an mmo.. because its a hub lobby game

heavy instance zones.. and lobby system weaved into the game world..

their combat system is called action combat.. but the system auto aims everything lol

I gave up on level 10 orso.

Lol wow lie some more too.  Yeah some zones are instanced but there is no auto aim.  There is no tab targeting.  You can focus by manually targeting a mob with your aiming reticle and hitting the "F" key to lock on but as soon as the mob dies you go back to manually targeting.  If you do not aim your reticle properly you will a warning sound that you have no target and your abilities will not work.  So yes it is action combat and you must move and aim and dodge all the time and usually at the same damn time.  I am very much so enjoying myself in game and I would suggest to anyone to  give it a try.  Whats the worst that can happen?  You dont like it, the uninstall, but if you do then great.